• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Seth is a corporate stooge. Shitting on him trying to downplay AEW and now playing the "oh look at you you were in AEW with your pals" is fun and I would say fair.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
You are taking food off his families table by insulting him!!!
He is really bad with his 'stand up for WWE' schtick and it is fun to laugh about it.
brock-lesnar.gif

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Ooooorrrr, he relinquishes the belt the become a dad for a bit, and then decides fatherhood is too cool to give it up and return to wrestling so he announces his retirement in Florida.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seth Rollins jumping ship while be the AEW version of Cody Rhodes jumping ship where everyone collectively is going to pretend that they never liked/always loved him

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
As a fan of Jay since his young lion days

I do think he was always good in the ring but was kind of just treading those first two years as the Switchblade with the character

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Seth is an amazing wrestler. Dude would be perfect in AEW. He probably would love to go there if it wasn't because he's a Vince/HHH dear and has a secured spot in the company.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Seth Rollins jumping ship while be the AEW version of Cody Rhodes jumping ship where everyone collectively is going to pretend that they never liked/always loved him

of course. It's already happening with MJF.

Maybe it's because I never followed the wcw/wwf days but the levels of console-style fanboyism around wresttling is quite something to behhold

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So no official announcement yet, but based on several tweets it looks like NJPW will be dropping their cheering moratorium on June 1, just in time for the BOSJ finals at the Budokan. Which should be awesome.

Especially given the final is Hiromu vs Despy which always fucking rules.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You weren't watching AEW or reading the threads if you think people suddenly "pretended" to not like Cody.

I mean it was a split of people getting tired of the Codyverse and others believing than Cody was doing this masterfully crafted heel turn

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yep. I was convinced he was turning.

We gave him too much credit.
After everything that happened and has come out since he left, it seems clear that all of his hints at a heel turn and talks of doing something 'not seen in wrestling before' with regards to his character were all just excuses to placate the fans and TK so he could continue to be a face when every single person on the earth knew he should go heel.

If he had gone heel he would have easily been the top heel of the company and the fans would have embraced it fully. Instead he pissed off half the fans during his run and disappointed the other half when they realised he was so stubborn and sabotaged his AEW career.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
After everything that happened and has come out since he left, it seems clear that all of his hints at a heel turn and talks of doing something 'not seen in wrestling before' with regards to his character were all just excuses to placate the fans and TK so he could continue to be a face when every single person on the earth knew he should go heel.

If he had gone heel he would have easily been the top heel of the company and the fans would have embraced it fully. Instead he pissed off half the fans during his run and disappointed the other half when they realised he was so stubborn and sabotaged his AEW career.

The irony being that with all this MJF shit, he'd be automatically placed as the number one heel in the company right now.

Hindsight is a bitch, but money makes things better.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Had a chance to catch up on some BoSJ today. Just watched Ace Austin vs. Alex Zayne from May 25th. Very fun opener. Loved the creativity, even more so since the majority of the floaty moves actually looked impactful.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Had a chance to catch up on some BoSJ today. Just watched Ace Austin vs. Alex Zayne from May 25th. Very fun opener. Loved the creativity, even more so since the majority of the floaty moves actually looked impactful.

They're best friends IRL so obviously they know how to work with each other very well.

I'm hoping NJPW brings them back for the Super Jr Tag League. I'd be also fine for them to get a run with the Jr Tag belts, not like they matter at all so give it to them and go for it.

Actually Jr Tag Division isn't looking terrible right now if they use the teams they have. Austin/Zayne, TJP/Akira, maybe get YOH a partner, would all be great additions.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
of course. It's already happening with MJF.

Maybe it's because I never followed the wcw/wwf days but the levels of console-style fanboyism around wresttling is quite something to behhold

It really is 😂. I was a teenager during the WCW/WWF stuff and it was definitely worse back then though at least from my experience.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Nikita Lyons continuing the trend of "wrestlers kicking own goals" this month with her posting a video working out to a song about how people should storm the US Capitol.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Nikita Lyons continuing the trend of "wrestlers kicking own goals" this month with her posting a video working out to a song about how people should storm the US Capitol.

"March around the capital. Storm the city gates." Gonna need some receipts to confirm where she was on January 6th.

The musician in question: "In October 2020 Topher campaigned for Donald Trump on the Team Trump tour bus in Las Vegas. He also discussed the concerns of Black voters in the 2020 election on Fox and Friends."

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
"March around the capital. Storm the city gates." Gonna need some receipts to confirm where she was on January 6th.

The musician in question: "In October 2020 Topher campaigned for Donald Trump on the Team Trump tour bus in Las Vegas. He also discussed the concerns of Black voters in the 2020 election on Fox and Friends."

Forcing me to root for Lash Legend over here.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
The typical Cornette brigade types on Twitter may have run off Kid Bandit.

Sean Waltman with the encouragement. You never see the old guard of wrestlers coming forward and addressing the current times of younger wrestlers. Makes me wonder how guys like X-Pac had to cope with mental health.

I know the go to answer would be drugs, and that's even more depressing to learn.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I understand MJF's frustration, but at the same time I think it's a bit short sided considering he's easily going to get a massive deal when his contract is up.

"MJF signed an original starter contract with AEW that was in the range of probably dozens of other early signees who have been with AEW ever since. Some have been cut, some have stayed in the lower cards, some have moved to the mid-card, a couple maybe moved to the upper card. Nobody's moved higher than MJF, among those on those starter deals. And by a starter deal, a very broad loose range is like $40,000 to $70,000. Like, you can make a living but you know, it's a starter deal. And some might not even be making $40,000. And I know there's some people who are just on a per date basis. But this was among the people who started signing starter contracts, people without a lot of leverage and any national TV exposure. And Tony was at a point where he's handing out a bunch of contracts and wanted to see who would be good and who wouldn't be, you know, who we wanted to stick with and who we wouldn't. And so a lot of money goes out to a lot of people when you get that starter contract. And the idea for Tony is, you know, when they come to the ones who deserve it, will get a raise."

-Wade Keller
Following on from this, Keller then revealed that MJF did actually receive said raise in January of this year, although he is still considerably underpaid in comparison to a number of ex-WWE stars and free agent signings. He also notes however, that there are several midcard level talents that are also earning considerably more than MJF, leading to the majority of his frustrations over the current deal.

"By the way, MJF was given a raise once since he signed with AEW. So he's making substantially more than the starter contract, like hundreds of thousands of dollars but it is modest compared to the contracts of more than a half a dozen free agent signings AEW has made over the past year…Christian, Mark Henry, Malakai Black, Adam Cole, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk. There's six right there. And I know I'm leaving off a few more…All of them are making more than MJF right now. Like I'm told that with confidence. So yes, he got a substantial raise percentage-wise, but it's modest compared to the contracts of more than half a dozen free agents just in the last year that AEW paid, including wrestlers nowhere near his stature as a top tier main event star and ratings draw. I think everybody would agree Bryan Danielson and CM Punk deserve more than MJF. You would argue Adam Cole should probably be in the ballpark. And if he's paid more, it's not like a huge deal but MJF has been way more valuable to AEW than Adam Cole…if you look at Christian, Malakai Black, Mark Henry… I mean, he's obviously worth more and has been worth more to the company, and he's just not getting paid near what they're getting paid in, in most cases, actually many cases. In many cases, those wrestlers are getting paid four or five times more than him…So, you know, MJF is by all accounts is kind of fuming over this."

wrestlepurists.com

Reported Details On How MJF’s AEW Deal Compares To Recent Signings | WrestlePurists | All Things Pro Wrestling

This past Sunday at AEW Double or Nothing saw MJF lose in decisive fashion to his former bodyguard Wardlow, however the match was in doubt leading up to the