• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I used Glasses USA when they had a B1G1 sale and ended up paying $40 each after insurance for name brand with the highest quality lenses. I used to pay like $300 at lens crafters and the quality of these are so much better.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My prescription:

aIP4Ex7.jpg

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Lmao just get OTC reading glasses. I say this as someone who works in optical sales. Go fancy if you want to and get a $20 pair.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017

Jesus, why are opticians' handwriting so atrocious...

Okay, so you've got a quarter diopter of astigmatism in your right eye, and sweet fuck all else. ("PL" stands for "plano", or "no prescription".) That amount of astigmatism is maybe just enough to feel like one eye is slightly hazy -- depending on how sensitive you are to it -- while not impeding your ability to function in any way whatsoever. It's possible you've never actually even noticed it.

As for that mess under "additional specifications"...

-- The first line is trying to sell you on very expensive lenses that are absolutely not warranted in any way, shape or form.
-- Second line is, "Or, ya know, just some reading glasses with an antireflective coating. If you want to be cheap about it."
-- Next two lines are the reading glasses prescription. Looks like +0.50 in both eyes, I think(?). Or it could be two poodles and a chihuahua having a threesome. (This fucking handwriting...)

So, yeah. The actual prescription is so nonexistent as to be unnoticeable. (Assuming that it actually exists. My eyes can vary by that much from prescription to prescription, because they're squishy meat bags full of goo. Come next examination, that astigmatism scrip could vanish.)

The reading glasses prescription is real, but low enough that I'm pretty sure they don't even stock those in brick-and-mortar drug stores. If it weren't the COVID end-times, I'd say go to the store and try a set of +1 readers to see how they feel. (They're stronger than you strictly need, but your eyes are only going to get older...) Instead, you can try ordering some off Amazon, I guess... (Less than $20. For a 5-pack. They have leopard-print.)

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reading glasses prescription is real, but low enough that I'm pretty sure they don't even stock those in brick-and-mortar drug stores. If it weren't the COVID end-times, I'd say go to the store and try a set of +1 readers to see how they feel. (They're stronger than you strictly need, but your eyes are only going to get older...) Instead, you can try ordering some off Amazon, I guess... (Less than $20. For a 5-pack. They have leopard-print.)

If I only require a generic OTC brand of glasses, is there a particular pack from Amazon you could recommend?

There's a bunch being sold there at $20 and under, but they also have magnification strength (1.0, 1.5, 2.5, etc). When you say +1 do you mean 1.0 is what I should look for?

A whole bunch of them are also branded as blue light glasses, but according to you that's a scam?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Not speaking for myself, but I'd recommend Costco. My Mom broke her glasses, like the piece that connects the two broke in half, and the person there literally replaced for free. The glasses also have been great for my Mom.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
If I only require a generic OTC brand of glasses, is there a particular pack from Amazon you could recommend?

They're all cheap, which is kind of the point. Pick a style you like that doesn't seem like outright garbage. Personally, I'd go for 1/2 or 3/4 -height wire rims -- something lightweight and easy to look over when you want to glance at something in the distance. And, I'd probably get as cheap as possible, since this is to assess fit and function. But you do you.

There's a bunch being sold there at $20 and under, but they also have magnification strength (1.0, 1.5, 2.5, etc). When you say +1 do you mean 1.0 is what I should look for?

Well, your scrip is for +0.50 power. Most(?) of those Amazon listings should have a drop-down box to select the correct strength. Find yours and go for it.

A whole bunch of them are also branded as blue light glasses, but according to you that's a scam?

Nobody with a medical degree has ever been desperately worried about my exposure to dangerous levels of free-floating blueness. However, there's been an endless parade of opticians -- who barely need more than a highschool diploma -- hawking overpriced plastic at me to save me from the scourge of blue. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and assume that all those years of extra schooling counted for something...

Sep 10, 2020
Warby Parker is EASILY your best choice.

Lots of choice, great customer service, flexible online and in-person try-ons, and one of the most affordable places I've seen. My last four or so pairs I've gotten from there have been perfect. The frames and lenses are both quality.

I know this reads like some ad, but it's true. Go to Warby Parker, OP.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Hmm, really? I had started hearing about blue-proof lenses (also known as computer or "gamer" lenses) fairly recently. There was even a whole conversation about them in an episode of Uzuki-Chan Wants to Hang Out, aka that show with the massive anime tiddies. No, not that one, the other one. No, the other one...

I thought the one I linked above helped a bit while working, but maybe it was a placebo effect.

I have a habit of immediately forgetting whatever terms my doctors use, so excuse the paraphrasing. But basically they recommended blue-light glasses where the bottom of the lens were designed to help me read up-close text (from my phone and work laptop) and didn't hamper with any far-distance viewing. In other words, I didn't have to constantly take them on or off when moving around the house.

The nose pins are just, well, the standard pins some glasses have. I tried with and without them and felt the pair that had them were a bit better.
Bingo, I was going to ask that. You may not even need fancy stuff. Are you over 40? Get used to a few pairs of readers around the house. And you may not even need the heavy duty magnification yet.

Sounds like bifocals from your post. Just check the prescription.
I think Jamesways is right, they probably suggested bifocals (fancier versions of which are known as progressives). They are glasses where the magnification that helps with reading is along the bottom edge, and the prescription for viewing distances is at the center and top of the lens, so that you can do as you say and just glance down when reading. If you don't have much of a prescription for distance, then you'll practically be getting glasses that do nothing in most of the lens and have a small bit of magnification along the bottom. Separate reading glasses could accomplish the same thing, but you'd have to remove them occasionally.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't worry about blue filtering or branded kens technologies. Reading that website about Eyezen+ doesn't even say what they do. It is really just a marketing ploy to get you to buy a certain brand. You should focus on finding lenses that are anti-UV and anti-reflection. You'll find other things about fancy new light weight thinner lenses, but even that you won't need as it's only for really strong prescriptions where thick, coke bottle lenses are needed. Yours will already be thin and light just because it's such a low prescription.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I get my eyes tested for my prescription every few years at America's Best. I use that prescription and buy my glasses at Goggles4U or EyeBuyDirect. They usually have great sales going on.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I think Jamesways is right, they probably suggested bifocals (fancier versions of which are known as progressives). They are glasses where the magnification that helps with reading is along the bottom edge, and the prescription for viewing distances is at the center and top of the lens, so that you can do as you say and just glance down when reading. If you don't have much of a prescription for distance, then you'll practically be getting glasses that do nothing in most of the lens and have a small bit of magnification along the bottom. Separate reading glasses could accomplish the same thing, but you'd have to remove them occasionally.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't worry about blue filtering or branded kens technologies. Reading that website about Eyezen+ doesn't even say what they do. It is really just a marketing ploy to get you to buy a certain brand. You should focus on finding lenses that are anti-UV and anti-reflection. You'll find other things about fancy new light weight thinner lenses, but even that you won't need as it's only for really strong prescriptions where thick, coke bottle lenses are needed. Yours will already be thin and light just because it's such a low prescription.
My optometrist recommended steering clear of bifocals as long as you can if your distance sight is fine and you only need magnification for reading and monitors. He said they can make your vision worse in the long run.

He suggested reading glasses and each year after 45 or so bump up the magnification if needed. Eventually bifocals are needed but save the money and early on if you can.

It was like clockwork for me though, I hit 41 and bam, blurry excel sheets.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
I've also been using these Blue Light Glasses from Amazon. I feel they've helped a bit, though they're a pain to clean and I might still need something similar in a prescribed form.
Did you try F.lux ? Someone I know from another forum uses it to have a very (very) warm screen 24/24 and she was really happy with how her eyes were less stressed after a day working on her computer.

justgetflux.com

f.lux

Software to warm up your computer display at night, to match your indoor lighting.

betwixtie

Oct 29, 2017
Warby Parker for life! They've been my #1 go to for years due to their price, durability, and style.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The pair from Amazon arrived yesterday, and it's a definite improvement. Came with their own cases and cleaning cloths, a great value as usual.

The only minor annoyance is that I have to push them back up often, as I have a habit of tilting my head when I move around (on account of being tall). Much as I personally enjoy doing the anime gesture of cooly pushing the glasses back up, I was wondering if I should maybe get the same glasses with built-in nostril pins, or whatever the official term is.

A family member told me the pins cause irritation overtime as well as dent your nose, however, so I'm asking again for opinions about that.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
The pair from Amazon arrived yesterday, and it's a definite improvement. Came with their own cases and cleaning cloths, a great value as usual.

The only minor annoyance is that I have to push them back up often, as I have a habit of tilting my head when I move around (on account of being tall). Much as I personally enjoy doing the anime gesture of cooly pushing the glasses back up, I was wondering if I should maybe get the same glasses with built-in nostril pins, or whatever the official term is.

A family member told me the pins cause irritation overtime as well as dent your nose, however, so I'm asking again for opinions about that.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Hmm, really? I had started hearing about blue-proof lenses (also known as computer or "gamer" lenses) fairly recently. There was even a whole conversation about them in an episode of Uzuki-Chan Wants to Hang Out, aka that show with the massive anime tiddies. No, not that one, the other one. No, the other one...

I thought the one I linked above helped a bit while working, but maybe it was a placebo effect.

I have a habit of immediately forgetting whatever terms my doctors use, so excuse the paraphrasing. But basically they recommended blue-light glasses where the bottom of the lens were designed to help me read up-close text (from my phone and work laptop) and didn't hamper with any far-distance viewing. In other words, I didn't have to constantly take them on or off when moving around the house.

The nose pins are just, well, the standard pins some glasses have. I tried with and without them and felt the pair that had them were a bit better.
Too bad you already bought something, because I was going to say based on this post you sound like the kind of person that would give bonus points to Japanese things, and it just so happens that Japan's equivalent to Warby Parker started selling glasses online in the states: https://www.jins.com/us/

(I'm sure the glasses they sell are probably made in China)

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California

As posted above in a video, you just need to adjust the glasses to get them to fit right. The nose pads (nostril pins) don't help hold them up, that is done all by the arms. Typically you need to make sure the arms press in slightly against the side of your head, as if they're gripping your head.
Note that they do not need to "hook" your ears. While that can help, that's not usually the best way to make sure they stay on well.

EDIT: Here's a pretty good guide. https://www.feelgoodcontacts.com/eye-care-hub/how-to-tighten-my-glasses

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Warby Parker. I have glasses and sunglasses from there.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Check your insurance. Vision plans tend to be fairy generous with what you're allowed to use.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Zenni is a lifesaver. My wife and I use them exclusively.
This is the same for me.
my prescription lens and frames would run 300 at most stores. I only pay 60-80 each glasses I get from zenni. Use the honey or capital one shopping extension to get codes added to save you more money.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I've used Warby Parker in the past and had a good experience. For my current pair, I browsed the frames at the optometrist and ended up seeing some I liked—$450, just for the frames. I took note of the brand, and found them online for $150. Then I took them to Costco with my prescription and got them to put lenses in—I think that was around $50–100, but I don't recall exactly.

The optometrist will give you a whole pitch about why an expert optician is important for a good fit and whatnot, but it's mostly just a high-markup revenue source for them. Beyond having your Pupillary Distance measurement if possible when ordering online (opticians can be annoying about giving that up), understanding the measurements of frames can help. All frames are measured with three numbers in millimeters—length of stems, width of eyepiece, width of bridge—usually printed on the inside of one of the stems. If you have an existing set of frames that fit well, you can reference those numbers and find something will similar dimensions when browsing online. That can help ensure you get something that fits without having tried it on.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
so I was thinking about buying some glasses from Zenni but my PD is 69.5 and all the options are in whole numbers. Should I go with 69 or 70 🤔

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
The glasses I got from eyebuydirect broke and the replacement they gave me (had to pay for shipping) broke the same exact way so I'm not trusting them anymore. Their plastic quality is horrible.

I got one from Kits since the first pair is free (pay shipping again) and it's been pretty good. Kinda wish I could order another free pair but it's locked to one per address. Definitely a solid alternative to Warby Parker or maybe Zenni (never tried either though)

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Zenni. But my last pair was crap and it was a hassle to return so I've been using my slightly broken pair in the meantime. Need to order again though

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Tried 'Kits' due of their "First pair free!" promotion. None of the frames I tried (all of which were in their "first pair free compatible list", mind) would work with my prescription - and I looked at a bunch of them.

L033t7B.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I have been religiously using Warby Parky for a good 5 years now, no complaints, great quality and the customer service is top notch. My prescription is fairly normal so i dont need thicker glasses, but my wife does use the high index. 1.67 ones and that was only a 30 dollar upcharge.

Warby also lets you use some insuranes as well which you can check here:

www.warbyparker.com

Insurance | Warby Parker

How do you use vision insurance at Warby Parker? It’s easy—promise. Select your provider below for details on how to apply your insurance to prescription eyeglasses, prescription sunglasses, and eye exams.

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
Thanks for this thread and discussion everyone, it's timely for me. I decided to buy some computer glasses to wear when I'm working. I wear contacts all day since I'm strongly near-sighted, so overlaying glasses with a mild power reduction (eg: +0.5) is recommended to reduce eyestrain. At the eye doctor they're charging like $125 for a pair, but I'll give Zenni a shot. The same glasses are like $20 so it's hardly a risk.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this thread and discussion everyone, it's timely for me. I decided to buy some computer glasses to wear when I'm working. I wear contacts all day since I'm strongly near-sighted, so overlaying glasses with a mild power reduction (eg: +0.5) is recommended to reduce eyestrain. At the eye doctor they're charging like $125 for a pair, but I'll give Zenni a shot. The same glasses are like $20 so it's hardly a risk.
They're hit and miss. I️ get two pairs when I️ order since I've had a couple pairs show up that don't work and considering it takes a few weeks I️ get a backup. Something to consider depending on how bad your eyes are

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
They're hit and miss. I️ get two pairs when I️ order since I've had a couple pairs show up that don't work and considering it takes a few weeks I️ get a backup. Something to consider depending on how bad your eyes are
Huh, that's a bit concerning. What do you mean by "don't work" exactly? I mean, was the prescription totally wrong or something? Does Zenni take care of the situation and give you a refund?

Well, I already ordered two pairs of glasses last night, so I'll just have to deal with whatever shows up.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's a bit concerning. What do you mean by "don't work" exactly? I mean, was the prescription totally wrong or something? Does Zenni take care of the situation and give you a refund?

Well, I already ordered two pairs of glasses last night, so I'll just have to deal with whatever shows up.
They just didn't feel right. I'm guessing the prescription was off. It's only happened twice but I've been ordering glasses from them for years. Overall I've been pretty happy especially for the price.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How do you guarantee the glasses will fit your face, shopping online?

I'm tired of paying $500-$600 a pop because my eyes are fucked (-11 prescription with astigmatism), my lenses are 90% of the cost at the optometrist, as I have to get the high density type lenses so they aren't as thick as my finger. I take advantage of B1G1s so it works out to $300 a pair, but if online can be cheaper I'm all for trying it out this year.

My current specs are holding on with guerilla glue and a prayer.

Can people with eyes like me do online, or is this more for people with basic needs?

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
How do you guarantee the glasses will fit your face, shopping online?

I'm tired of paying $500-$600 a pop because my eyes are fucked (-11 prescription with astigmatism), my lenses are 90% of the cost at the optometrist, as I have to get the high density type lenses so they aren't as thick as my finger. I take advantage of B1G1s so it works out to $300 a pair, but if online can be cheaper I'm all for trying it out this year.

My current specs are holding on with guerilla glue and a prayer.

Can people with eyes like me do online, or is this more for people with basic needs?
Some places do home try-on. They will ship the frames and you try them on at home. Some of the lesser expensive websites don't offer this, but EyeBuyDirect offers a 14 day exchange period.

I use Zenni and PayneGlasses mostly. They're so cheap, even if a frame doesn't fit well, I don't care about wasting a few bucks. The glasses I'm wearing right now were like 10 bucks total, for example. I usually buy two or three frames at a time. I'm also at the point where I know which frames will fit good based on their measurements.