• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell?

I've had friends who almost died because of someone driving under the influence.

How is this something we can just wave off like that even if nothing happened? What if something did happen where they caused irreparable harm?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell?

I've had friends who almost died because of someone driving under the influence.

How is this something we can just wave off like that even if nothing happened? What if something did happen where they caused irreparable harm?
Who's waving it off? It was irresponsible and dangerous. If something had happened it would be an entirely different situation.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Then you wouldn't be able to say anything. Don't bully the OP
But I'm not bullying the OP?

I'm sorry but some of these bans I think are unreasonable. If you've never lost someone or close to losing someone because of DUI, then you wouldn't understand the pain and anger some of us have when someone admittedly does it. While we shouldn't insult the OP ( I did not do so ), it feels wrong to simply ban people who are calling out the OP fo
Who's waving it off? It was irresponsible and dangerous. If something had happened it would be an entirely different situation.
The bans imo are hand waving it off. People aren't warned, simply banned for expressing their anger at the OP's behavior. Yes it may be harsh, but are we going to excuse this sort of behavior from now on?

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry but some of these bans I think are unreasonable. If you've never lost someone or close to losing someone because of DUI, then you wouldn't understand the pain and anger some of us have when someone admittedly does it. While we shouldn't insult the OP ( I did not do so ), it feels wrong to simply ban people who are calling out the OP fo

The bans imo are hand waving it off. People aren't warned, simply banned for expressing their anger at the OP's behavior. Yes it may be harsh, but are we going to excuse this sort of behavior from now on?

it was a joke lol. The bans are ridiculous.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bans, in addition to the mod post, do come across as hand waving and are problematic together. I get the wanting to keep the peace, but a warning rather than a 1 day ban seems more sensible considering how fucking irresponsible the OP was.

data

Oct 25, 2017
it was a joke lol. The bans are ridiculous.
I agree. I understand we have a warning system for this.

Please mods, please show some understanding for some ( I think the rape joke ban was well deserved ) hostile behavior and leniency when insulting the OP. I hope the OP learns deeply what they did wrong. If we're just going to ban people who were hostile and called the OP names because of their behavior, then is this going to be a slippery slope where everyone who does wrong will be protected? That's not how I think this should go

The bans, in addition to the mod post, do come across as hand waving and are problematic together. I get the wanting to keep the peace, but a warning rather than a 1 day ban seems more sensible considering how fucking irresponsible the OP was.
Wholeheartedly agree

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Warnings instead of bans might have been appropriate, sure.

thomasos

Oct 27, 2017
This place definitely has become far too hostile, so I'm all for the mods making a concerted effort to change that. You can still offer criticism without the cheap thrill of being a glib asshole.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Warnings instead of bans might have been appropriate, sure.
Some of the bans were approriate, but outright people who are insulting because of the circumstances should really be warned to allow a more conducive discussion

I understand that we shouldn't be hostile to other members but I would say this situation warrants a bit of insult especially since we have the context and it was done consciously.

data

Oct 25, 2017
This place definitely has become far too hostile, so I'm all for the mods making a concerted effort to change that. You can still offer criticism without the cheap thrill of being a glib asshole.
I agree that we should calm down with a lot of the hostilities but sometimes the circumstances cause a reaction. I feel angry at the OP because I've had friends who were victims of DUI driving but I'm able to moderate my anger.

This thread was definitely not conducive to completely reasonable discussion once the facts were made clear.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think I was accidentally roofied on my honeymoon. My wife and I were drinking at the hotel bar with another couple, multiple couples, they were weird and we had drank a normal amount but suddenly I got suuupppper drunk. We went back to our hotel room but the next day I woke up and was like .. wtf I don't remember any of leaving the bar and going back to our room

I had a fair amount to drink like 5 or 6 beers but I'm a heavy drinker and that's never ever happened to me before. I've never blacked out from drinking. I was pretty shook up by the whole thing.

I'm fairly sure I just drank too much or took shots or didn't eat enough and my beers might have been stronger than I thought. But it really surprised me enough for me to think I might have been poisoned.

Oh this thread went in directions I wasn't expecting.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow missed this thread entirely yesterday. Those bans are laughable...they didn't insult anyone, they were accurate in what they said (at least the posters I saw). The initial mod comment was...something. Are they friends with OP? Like trying to protect a friend or some shit cz I can't imagine what would possess a person to type that out in defense of what OP did.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Title change or not... Being roofied (or something) happened to me years ago, was out with my wife for her birthday and with several of her friends and I was the only guy. Someone bought drinks and I must have picked the wrong (or right one considering the possible implications for the women there) drink and don't remember shit after that, I had only a drink or two before I blacked out, came too at a food place below the bar and felt like shit the entire next day. We called the bar the following day and they were no help..citing whoever bought the drinks paid cash... I dunno if it was roofies but I don't black out after a couple of drinks..

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's perfectly understandable the reactions some had towards the op. These events ruin lives and should not be taken lightly. Op understands the mistake but this is usually how these things go. No one sets out to kill a stranger with their car, it's always "i thought I was okay...I didn't know I was that bad...", etc. So yeah, even if it was indeed a lapse of judgment it deserves to be recognized and reprimanded and people have the right to be offended by op's actions.

Oct 27, 2017
The original mod threadmark downplaying and trivializing DWI is disgusting and unacceptable. Yes, I know an edit was made and this thread has gone multiple different directions, but still it's despicable.

Some of us, myself included, have lost friends and loved ones to DWI drivers.

Oct 27, 2017
No one sets out to kill a stranger with their car, it's always "i thought I was okay...I didn't know I was that bad...", etc.

The moment they make the decision to operate a vehicle while under any influence, they've made that decision and significantly heightened the possibility of it transpiring.

They get no sympathy from me. One of the most selfish and reckless acts one can engage in.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when are insults not allowed on this website?

If someone said something racist or transphobic here no one would get banned for calling them a piece of shit. I guess since the OP didn't kill anyone this time it's not ok to yell at them a bit?

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when are insults not allowed on this website?

If someone said something racist or transphobic here no one would get banned for calling them a piece of shit. I guess since the OP didn't kill anyone this time it's not ok to yell at them a bit?

This is true, if I see some piece of shit saying racists or trans/homophobic comments, I'm going to throw in an insult. Shouldn't get banned for that and shouldn't get banned for calling out an asshole who could have killed someone.

Oct 29, 2017
I think I left my baby in a hot car a few hours ago. Should I go check on them? (SEE STAFF POST)

"After careful consideration and discussion with a ERA member familiar with thermometers, we have concluded that the baby is aight. Further posts ridiculing OP's parenting and calling for his arrest will be actioned."

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Sounds like strong edibles. And what the fuck at driving?? Don't fucking do that.

Maybe I was behind OP last night?

Wife and I were headed home from a party, this Honda stopped at a yellow light right as it change from green to yellow. Then it turned red and they drove through it LOL.

About 100 yards later I caught up with them after it turned green. They were stopped in the middle of the highway, then they did a u-turn.

Wife and I were laughing at them like "wtf" are they doing???

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell did that staff post happen.
Is this the official stance now? Driving under influence is fine as long as it's not "too much" influence?
Cool.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the thread hasnt been locked because its generating constructive discussion among the mods. Or because they've all given up.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still shocked they even had to edit in the part about not knowing eating edibles and then driving is a felony.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to understand this as well.

Is the official stance of the resetera moderation team to protect potential felons against insults on the site?

What I don't get is why "staff" (lol) take either "side".
Just shut the fuck up and let the thread run it's course.

Overly moderated nonsense.

Steb

Oct 27, 2017
So what repercussions can we expect for Nepenthe after that incredibly fucked post? I've known innocent people killed by such recklessness displayed by the OP. People here have responded with understandable anger and hostility and they've been banned for it, presumably by that same mod. Are such punishments only reserved for regular non-prominent members? The double standards on this site are fucking ridiculous. 'Fix your hearts or die.' Something is broken here. Fucking hell. Era, sort your shit out. Jesus christ.

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell?

Well, that's sad but have you considered the feelings of the influenced driver? Are you absolutely sure they weren't driving under just a "little" influence?
Lots of things to consider here, you know

Status
Not open for further replies.