• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I jumped on the mod post as being a little, if not a lot iffy but I think it was probably meant in good faith as a way to not create a dogpile on the OP - just very misguided and hasty!

That being said no need to go all cancel culture on the mod team either as they've tried to explain and apologise for this one

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, apologies again, it wasn't our intention to do that. Driving after eating edibles is definitely something that people should *not* do.

Can you address why the BAC determination was necessary to begin with? Seems like a massive leap in logic and not even really within the purview of forum moderators.

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Addendum: It has been pointed out that driving while under the influence of weed can still lead to a DUI and is still dangerous. This is a fair point and we apologize for the oversight -- this wasn't okay. The OP has acknowledged wrongdoing so please keep the discussion constructive to help him and others avoid this mistake.
giphy.gif

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped on the mod post as being a little, if not a lot iffy but I think it was probably meant in good faith as a way to not create a dogpile on the OP - just very misguided and hasty!

That being said no need to go all cancel culture on the mod team either.
I feel bad for the mod cus they seem like real nice people but they're obviously a bit shook after what happened the other day.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Can you address why the BAC determination was necessary to begin with? Seems like a massive leap in logic and not even really within the purview of forum moderators.

This is what I'm looking for too. It looks like the mod team is still standing by their decision to make a BAC determination for someone who might not have even been totally cognizant of how much he was consuming.

Fenrisulvur

Oct 25, 2017
Portland
It all depends on how the edible is made, what strains, and level of potency. I've had some were I felt the effect immediately and other times it took hours for it to kick in and I was higher then I would ever like to be. If you ever take edibles, you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of any vehicle for the rest of the day.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017

That being said no need to go all cancel culture on the mod team either as they've tried to explain and apologise for this one
I haven't seen anyone calling for cancel culture in this thread.

Mod made a dumb post, admin apologized. All that's left is to reverse the bans and just issue warnings like they should've done in the first place.

Like I said earlier, it's real simple.

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone calling for cancel culture in this thread.

Mod made a dumb post, admin apologized. All that's left is to reverse the bans and just issue warnings like they should've done in the first place.

Like I said earlier, it's real simple.
Not to go too meta here but the bans seem fine to me, assuming they aren't for like 3 months or something, OP fucked up and has rightfully been called out, but the few posts that got banned were needlessly aggressive. I understand why this is such a sensitive topic and can lead to strong emotions but in that case it's often better to not post right away.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
man, no shit one time i ate a 125mg thc gummy and thought i was dying.

i crawled everywhere i went for the entire day. literally. around my house on all fours.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I mean, people can call you a piece of shit with impunity for expressing all sorts of unpopular opinions.

But if you ACTUALLY pilot a guided missile under the influence of drugs, we've gotta put the kiddie gloves on?

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In this case it wasn't doing enough research on this topic before commenting. We definitely know for sure now for the future.
This is what I'm looking for too. It looks like the mod team is still standing by their decision to make a BAC determination for someone who might not have even been totally cognizant of how much he was consuming.
Didn't mean to give that impression. I've gone back and struck that section in the original staff post. Basically we were trying to address the overt hostility but went too far o_o.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
In this case it wasn't doing enough research on this topic before commenting. We definitely know for sure now for the future.

Didn't mean to give that impression. I've gone back and struck that section in the original staff post. Basically we were trying to address the overt hostility but went too far o_o.

Fair enough. Thank you. I know y'all are doing your best. And I do appreciate the effort to tone down the hostility.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, people can call you a piece of shit with impunity for expressing all sorts of unpopular opinions.

But if you ACTUALLY pilot a guided missile under the influence of drugs, we've gotta put the kiddie gloves on?
Exactly. OP wasn't giving their opinion about a TV show or something. They did something reckless and stupid that gets people killed daily.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Mixing alcohol and an edibles could have unpredictable effects. That's probably why you thought you got roofied. Everyone reacts differently and you don't know how strong that edible was or what was in it. However, the driving home was the real red flag. Everyone has cases of optimism bias at times, but this shouldn't be one of them. There are simple mistakes and then there are reckless actions, this is the latter.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like 'not enough research' implies there's an outcome here where forum mods can diagnose BAC. I think if you really ruminate on it, that sort of completely unnecessary language ending up in an official communication is a microcosm of the issues facing the moderation team. It just wasn't necessary in any way to achieve the purpose of the post (tamping down hostility) and ended up putting the staff on the firing line.

Thank you for promptly addressing the situation and striking out that part.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Lol, haven't read the thread but why would you post a thread after you thought you were drugged? Call 9-1-1 for your emergencies.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

Can you unban the users in the first few pages and change it to warnings? I think they were treated unfairly.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you unban the users in the first few pages and change it to warnings? I think they were treated unfairly.

They weren't though. Drive by "you're a piece of shit" posts are still unnecessary. If your only objective in a thread is to insult someone else then you shouldn't post in the thread. Posts like that have been a serious problem on this site for a while.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They weren't though. Drive by "you're a piece of shit" posts are still unnecessary. If your only objective in a thread is to insult someone else then you shouldn't post in the thread. Posts like that have been a serious problem on this site for a while.
If you drive under the influence you are piece of shit tho

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
As others in this thread have said, this is a very serious issue that hits close to home for a lot of people. Considering the moderation mishap that occurred in this thread, I think it would be a nice gesture from the mod team showing that they are listening to us and trying to improve.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I think a little understanding could go a long way on this site. Warnings would've been fine.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
No respect whatsoever for anyone who drives under the influence, no matter the reason and then dismisses it or does it again. It's asking for trouble. If it was only for yourself I couldn't give a fuck, but it's not reality. When you drive a car you have your life, the life of your passengers, the life of other people on the road in vehicles or on foot in your hand. I can understand someone slightly under the influence going for it, I don't respect it more but I understand that sometimes you don't really understand you're under the influence until you're put in a situation where your reflexes have to be top notch.

But OP was high to the point where you thought you were roofied. That's being beyond fucked.

Hope OP actually learns from this, and doesn't dimiss it as a honest mistake, or a fun story to tell people down the road since nothing bad happened. This is something that should be a life changing experience for anyone with a conscience. A good person will learn from it, understand how lucky they are that they killed no one. A selfish person will only be glad they didn't get caught. A really bad person will do it again.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Geez what a thread

I'm glad you're okay OP but please never operate a vehicle after consuming edibles and or drinking no matter how well you think you are. What you did was reckless and endangering but hopefully this thread (though idk why the hell you made it tbh) taught you a valuable lesson.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Not to go too meta here but the bans seem fine to me, assuming they aren't for like 3 months or something, OP fucked up and has rightfully been called out, but the few posts that got banned were needlessly aggressive. I understand why this is such a sensitive topic and can lead to strong emotions but in that case it's often better to not post right away.
It's also often better to issue warnings before issuing full bans. A warning is a perfectly acceptable way to reel someone in. Second offense, different story.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
OP... you already admitted it was wrong and you'll probably never do it again. So I'm not mad at you because no one got hurt and you'll be more careful in the future. But OP posting this on Era I'm sure you expected this level of hostility. I don't think you deserve it because you've already admitted you were wrong. Hundreds of strangers weighing in to tell you how shitty you were probably isn't making you feel any better.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Drunk and under-the-influence drivers are pieces of shit.

And? What does telling OP that actually achieve when they already know they fucked up?
you really might want to take a look at what's going around in the world right now

I have and I stand by my post. Insults achieve literally nothing. If your only contribution is being a dick then don't contribute.

When something stupid can lead to deaths then free pass all day

No, not really. What does it achieve? What's the benefit to drive by insulting someone who has already admitted to their mistakes?

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
If we've all learned one thing here, it's do not operate a vehicle or mod account while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

OP please proceed with caution on edibles if you use them in the future, and call a cab or Uber just to be safe, and tip well if they gave to put up with your baked out of your mind ass.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know if people fully grasp how many people get murdered by drunk drivers every day.

There's not even anything to discuss in the topic anymore. The OP did something very stupid, is aware it was stupid. That's about it. What do you even say?

Everyone says they know it's a dumb thing to do, yet people constantly do it. You're under the influence and get weirdly confident that you're actually fine, and it's always fine until someone dies. It's a good thing nobody died , but the issue with driving impaired is that it's only good that nothing bad happened AFTER the dumb thing happened.

Like who drives drunk, gets backlash, and says "sorry but I don't feel bad I do it all the time"? Like of course he feels bad. But saying hey don't do that again doesn't really match the severity of what can and does happen in that situation all the time. It's a horrible topic to deal with, and hits close for many people.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
People can say insults are unnecessary but of course people feel strongly about things that frequently get people killed.

Let me emphasize that.

The life of people, driving on a road, are suddenly ended due to no fault of their own because someone was not in the state of mind to be there, and THEY lose their life for it.

Of FUCKING COURSE people get personal on a topic like that.

And the MODS ON RESETERA DOT COM somehow know if he was okay to drive and that hostility is unwarranted?
It is understandably frustrating, but it's also every poster's job to keep their own emotions in check when talking to other human persons online.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I still don't know if people fully grasp how many people get murdered by drunk drivers every day.

There's not even anything to discuss in the topic anymore. The OP did something very stupid, is aware it was stupid. That's about it. What do you even say?

Everyone says they know it's a dumb thing to do, yet people constantly do it. You're under the influence and get weirdly confident that you're actually fine, and it's always fine until someone dies. It's a good thing nobody died , but the issue with driving impaired is that it's only good that nothing bad happened AFTER the dumb thing happened.

Like who drives drunk, gets backlash, and says "sorry but I don't feel bad I do it all the time"? Like of course he feels bad. But saying hey don't do that again doesn't really match the severity of what can and does happen in that situation all the time. It's a horrible topic to deal with, and hits close for many people.

I'm going to guess a lot of these people reacting like that have never had to deal with the consequences of drunk driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.