• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
blog.bioware.com

May Anthem Update

Hi All, My name is Christian, and I am the Studio Director for the BioWare Austin office that is leading the production of what we are exploring NEXT for Anthem. NICE TO MEET YOU! Prior to this rol…

Update on Anthem's progress since February. Main thing is that they've officially kicked off their incubation/prototyping team, as per below:

Incubation- AKA prototyping

The Anthem incubation team has kicked off and we are starting to validate our design hypotheses. Incubation is a term we use internally – it essentially means we are going back and experimenting/prototyping to improve on the areas where we believe we fell short and to leverage everything that you love currently about Anthem. We are a small team – about 30-ish, earning our way forward as we set out to hit our first major milestone goals. Spoiler – this is going to be a longer process. And yes, the team is small but the whole point of this is to take our time and go back to the drawing board. And a small team gives us the agility a larger one can't afford.

We really want this experience to be different for the team and our players, but we know we have some tough challenges to tackle. We want to include you as we go and be open and honest with where we are at and what the expectations are with where we are going. The reality is you will see things that look awesome but end up on the cutting room floor or things that you might think suck that you feel we are spending too much time on – but in the spirit of experimentation this is all OK. We really want to provide you all the transparency we can because of your passion and interest in Anthem. But, with that comes seeing how the sausage is made – which is not always pretty by the way.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what would bring me back to this mess.

Free? MMO-like tendencies? More ways to customize the javelins? That's just the start.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Wait, they've only just began prototyping Anthem 2.0? I was under the impression it has been in development a while.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Maybe they can pull off a realm reborn situation but I really doubt it. Good on them for trying.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should gear up to release a big update near XSX and PS5 launch, it would allow them to be one of the first big GAAS early on which would make people more willing to give it another go. Feels like with this announcement the big relaunch is going to be years away.

Good on them for not giving up though.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
No offense to bioware this is not meant to be disrespect(i'm usually a huge bioware shill) but if they're only prototyping now changes won't come before 2021 and people have already moved on from Anthem.

They should focus on something else.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that they have freedom to explore with a smaller team. And it seems they're happy with the direction they're going. I even heard that someone on that team rejected offers to go work somewhere else because they're happy. I have high hopes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a new game
But it all feels old
It's an update
That's what I'm told

Real

Oct 28, 2017
At its core, Anthem has really fun mechanics. Brainless shooting waves of enemies, flight, and loot system are so close to making the game really fun.

excited to see what comes of this

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
No offense to bioware this is not meant to be disrespect(i'm usually a huge bioware shill) but if they're only prototyping now changes won't come before 2021 and people have already moved on from Anthem.

At this point any Anthem relaunch would effectively be a new game. They don't need to worry about keeping their existing players.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017

FF14 originally released in December 2010, with ARR coming out in August 2013, and another 7 years later it's unarguably one of the most prominent and notable MMORPGs on the market.

Jan 4, 2018
I think the tech powering next gen consoles could really do wonders for Anthem. Like maybe it was a game that came a gen too early for what it wanted to accomplish. Would love to see what they can do with the setting and gameplay in a couple of years.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're just now starting to do this?

Jeaus Christ. Just move on at this point. There can't be enough people still playing this dumpster fire to justify trying to salvage it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The BioWare team working on Anthem:
tenor.gif

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
With Destiny impolading and anthem dead in the water, what will be the next scifi looter shooter? Halo Infinte?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Another update of vague promises. I wish them the best because I'd like to see them turn it around, but it's hard to care until they have something to show.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I had a lot of fun playing Anthem. I hope they can figure out what to do with it and turn it around full swing.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Every Anthem update sounds like they are about to start some new direction that will take "a long time".

This kind of constant resetting is the same reason Andromeda and Anthem took forever and still suffered. What is going on with the leadership?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wonder if they're considering tossing the lore as well. The game had some good ideas that it absolutely did not capitalize on at all. I'd like to see more about that one lady who has memories from another reality.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
can this even be turnaround when this console gen is coming to an end?

does it have enough of a crowd on PC?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Anthem is so old. Didn't it come out at the beginning of last year? Since this is such a small team, it kind of feels like it will be too late by the time they actually fix it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
To make A Real Reborn happen here you need someone like Yoshida who has a clear vision of how to fix the game and the managerial skills to see it through within a reasonable timeframe. This statement gives me the sense that Anthem will fail a couple of more times before this team is told to wrap it up.

If you are still "validating a design hypothesis" at this point, you're not going to have much of an audience willing to see the process through to an end.

Edit: Of course FFXIV had the benefit of collecting subscription money from a small but dedicated playerbase during its reworking period. I'm not saying the Anthem team can't pull it off or doesn't have the talent to do so, but they have a lot working against them and are in a much different position than the FFXIV team was.

Last edited:

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I will die on this hill: still the most fun online shooter to play in terms of combat and movement.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I can understand why this took this long to get to this point: there are so many moving variables and departments to appease that are/would-be core to the design of the game.

Like, if you're sitting down to redo Anthem, the first thing you need to know is what the monetization would be going forward. Cuz if it's going to be free to play, if it's going to be a paid expansion for new players, if you're going to take old gear and carry it forward, if if if if if ...all of that has severe impacts of the core design.

Once you get that sorted, you have to understand what your budget is for assets. How much of the old assets are you using? How much of the core problems of the design are baked into the existing assets (even simple questions like "Well, our world takes so many assets, we don't have enough RAM allocation to allow weapon changes out in the world, unless we have less than XXX unique weapon assets....so do we change the world or do we change the number of assets or do we change how weapon allocation works or or or or or).

Cuz if you have to use mostly old assets, what level of affect can you have on core gameplay? And if you use old assets, what perception is going to come of your revamp? Cuz if no one comes back cuz it looks like an "old game", then there's no point in putting money into it. But if that means lots of new assets, then at what point are you making a new game? And then how do you monetize that for existing owners when it's been already sold at fire sale prices and doesn't (presently) have a recurring revenue stream.

And you can say "well, just build a good game and don't worry about the budget", but that's 1) unrealistic and 2) ignores how monetization directly has an effect on game design.

I do not envy their position at all. I hope it turns out great though.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
So I'm guessing all of bioware moved to dragon age and the next mass effect?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they straight up rename it they still have to fight the name and everything that comes with it

I'd be willing to bet more people remember the elevator pitch for the game than the actual name. As long as they can retain the initial promise of flying around an open world in a mech, it'll be worth sticking with the game.

Though it doesn't seem like they have a clear vision for the game which is part of the reason Anthem came out the way it did.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
They can't come back with small updates, they need to come back swinging with a huge and complete overhaul that would grab headlines and excite people ala Taken King with Destiny 1 or Diablo 3 2.0. A FF14 level of change is unlikely though.

I'm not even sure if it's salvageable at this point, then again you have cases like No Man's Sky.

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly they should cut their losses this is way too late. Does anyone still care about anthem?

This is the way I feel and I sort of enjoyed Anthem. It came out, it wasn't that great, time to move on. I really don't understand why BioWare is so hellbent on making people like Anthem when they already have the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises that their fans already like and want them to focus on.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Isn't it a bit too late to turn this around? I mean, the name is already linked to a bad game and even if they make it an amazing game it'll be very hard to convince people to give it a chance. It was definitely not the same case with FFIV as it carried a relevant name associated with quality and with a passionate fanbase.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
They're just now starting to do this?

Jeaus Christ. Just move on at this point. There can't be enough people still playing this dumpster fire to justify trying to salvage it.

My reaction as well. I know these things are hard, but Bethesda just released a major rework of F76. Not a great look for Bioware.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see milestone is the new buzzword to use, now that roadmap is such a poisoned term.
It's not a buzzword. It's always been a development term.
Every Anthem update sounds like they are about to start some new direction that will take "a long time".

This kind of constant resetting is the same reason Andromeda and Anthem took forever and still suffered. What is going on with the leadership?
To make A Real Reborn happen here you need someone like Yoshida who has a clear vision of how to fix the game and the managerial skills to see it through within a reasonable timeframe. This statement gives me the sense that Anthem will fail a couple of more times before this team is told to wrap it up.

If you are still "validating a design hypothesis" at this point, you're not going to have much of an audience willing to see the process through to an end.
Prototyping always takes a very long time - especially with a smaller team. But considering how this is hard for players to understand, I wonder if it could be better to stay quiet and talk when there's more to show. Unfortunately, transparency with customers doesn't work when talking about game development processes.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
That's actually feel a very honest declaration. Basically acknowledging the fucked up product Anthem is and how hard it's going to be to salvage it.

It also feels to me it goes against the whole Anthem 2.0 anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's not a buzzword. It's always been a development term.

Prototyping always takes a very long time - especially with a smaller team. But considering how this is hard for players to understand, I wonder if it could be better to stay quiet and talk when there's more to show. Unfortunately, transparency with customers doesn't work when talking about game development processes.

Yeah I agree with what Teeth said above. They are in a very difficult position here and while I'm sure they are trying their hardest to salvage something out of Anthem, I think time is very much working against them.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I will die on this hill: still the most fun online shooter to play in terms of combat and movement.

Yeah I am pretty much with you. I loved playing it, but had to drop off at some point mostly because of how it ran, how obtuse some of its structure was, and that hit detection often felt like a straight up lie.

All that said, I really loved flying around, blasting enemies, getting new abilities, that sort of thing.