• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
81iCVhLDJFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Originally released on May 23, 2010 for the Wii, today marks the 10th anniversary, I remember getting this on launch being super excited for it and it passed expectations.

Any memories you want to share?

Edit: Wow, the game released on May 23rd, my bad.

:'(

Last edited:

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading the spoiler thread on the old forum when I was at a 3D modeling course I won a chance to partake in during my high school years.

People's minds were blown at the Whomp Castle remake stage.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would not argue against anyone who says that there hasn't been a better game released since. Absolutely 100% so in terms of 3D platformers. It's the best.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I present to you Lubba, the best Mario character of the 21st century

yqyovdvffn821.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty thoroughly shocked when this was revealed. I never thought Nintendo would ever do a direct 3D Mario sequel.

One of the greatest games ever made, arguably the best Mario game ever made.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Fantastic game. I was kinda disappointed by it upon release, feeling it lacked the magic of the first, but when I replayed all the 3D Marios getting ready for Odyssey I had a much higher opinion of it. I still think it has pacing issues but it's some of 3D Mario's most ambitious and creative levels.

Hope it somehow comes to Switch.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man Nintendo marketing just did not give a fuck back then

Like I still remember my initial reaction to watching that trailer, by the end of it I sure wasn't expecting a game of Galaxy 1's caliber.
Galaxy 2 ended up being my favorite of the two but that awful early look complete with MIDI music and half-finished levels left a not-so-great first impression

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Chuggaconroy just did his let's play it last year because so many people let's played it back then. It's aged great and still an incredible game overall. The lack of new powerups is the only disappointing thing, probably because Yoshi.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
and now we're looking at a rumored 3D Mario collection that will inexplicably exclude it

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Man Nintendo marketing just did not give a fuck back then

Like I still remember my initial reaction to watching that trailer, by the end of it I sure wasn't expecting a game of Galaxy 1's caliber.
Galaxy 2 ended up being my favorite of the two but that awful early look complete with MIDI music and half-finished levels left a not-so-great first impression

I think you're in the minority on that one because pretty much everyone I know loved the trailer.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're in the minority on that one because pretty much everyone I know loved the trailer.
I loved the fact that Galaxy was getting a sequel, that's for sure. Like, I was gonna buy it either way. I just couldn't believe they showed the game looking and sounding the way it did at the time.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greatest collection of platforming levels ever assembled. When I'm feeling bold, I'd call it no less than the greatest game ever made.

If Nintendo doesn't include it in the upcoming All-Stars collection, they're fucking up ROYALLY.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I recently completed the game. It definitely feels like a big level pack. I had fun collecting the stars but I feel like I'd rather play the first.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite 2nd favorite Mario platformer, I put it well above Sunshine and Odyssey

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Wish we could get a remaster collection of both games on Switch. I know the first one is rumored to be coming but I doubt they will include both of them.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Best mario game ever, had a lot of fun getting all of the 240 stars where in odyessy I was bored after 100 moons.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
This is still my favorite Mario game. 2D or 3D. It just has the best levels in any Mario game, which I know is somewhat subjective. But it builds atop the first Galaxy perfectly. And the Cloud Suit is one of my favorite power-ups ever. I cried at the credits the first time I completed it for some reason. I think the music got me in combination with the joy I had experienced.

I can't believe it's been 10 years. Fucking hell.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Also the third anniversary of Twin Peaks The Return !
Happy anniversary to those two masterpieces !!

The rumors state Galaxy 2 won't be included in the collection.
I may have missed some new rumors, but at one point the rumors were rather "Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are included" with Galaxy 2 being up in the air, people not knowing for sure if it's in or not.
I feel like Galaxy 2 will be unlockable, like once you finish the first level of Egg Galaxy in Galaxy 1 or something like that.
The marketing will be focused on 64, Sunshine and Galaxy, showing footages of both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 when talking about Galaxy. It would explains why insiders can't confirm or deconfirm Galaxy 2. (Unless some reliable outlets actually came to say that Galaxy 2 is 100% not in, I definitely may have missed it)

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Moving around on Yoshi and independently aiming his tongue with the pointer is one of the smoothest gameplay experiences ever.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
I remember writing a glowing LTTP thread about this game back on GAF. It took everything that was good about SMG1, which beforehand I had thought was just about the perfect platformer, and somehow improved on it. One of the most pure fun games ever made, and the best platformer I have ever played.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible game overall and the best implementation of Yoshi in a 3D Mario title. Hopefully it will eventually be included with the other 3D remasters.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I always consider SMG and SMG2 as two parts of one hole.

There's bits I'd drop from each to make it a perfect experience, but the best thing SMG2 did was get rid of the unnecessary hub world.

Last edited:

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games ever with one of the most frustrating final levels ever lol. Still, love nearly everything about this game and it:s amazing that they managed to top the first game, which is already incredible

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Love how Nintendo are saving Galaxy 3 and the third part of the Hero of Time trilogy for the end times.