• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda crazy that the Xbox is outselling PlayStation still. Last year it was pretty much always PlayStation outselling Xbox, I'm curious what's changed in the supply to flip the equation around.

It's possible it's just increased supply/demand if Series S, but Xbox being ahead in revenue and units makes me feel there's more to it than that

I'm pretty sure MS shifted production priority to Series S rather than Series X. they can ship almost 2X as many S units for what it would take to make one X.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Kinda crazy that the Xbox is outselling PlayStation still. Last year it was pretty much always PlayStation outselling Xbox, I'm curious what's changed in the supply to flip the equation around.

It's possible it's just increased supply/demand if Series S, but Xbox being ahead in revenue and units makes me feel there's more to it than that
Both PS5 and SX are selling every unit there is to buy, pretty much instantly. And the S is also selling very well.

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No Sniper Elite 5?

Elden Ring is a NPD Monster but for some reason Europe isn't doing so well for Elden Ring. I'd think a European-Fantasy Open World RPG with super high reviews would chart better in Europe.
SE5 only had a few days I think so i would maybe expect it to Show in June somewhere

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Switch Sports at #3 without digital included seems really impressive (especially since the digital version is cheaper).

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

I'm assuming they probably bought the same amount of wafers and manufacturing space last year as this year but now they don't have to fill up server racks with some of their supply so it's all going to market. Of course replacing the server blades with XSX was a great idea that should pay off in the long run, but had they not allotted those systems for the upgrades last year, I think they'd probably be ahead in NA right now and it all just comes down to the fact that they have consistently been buying more capacity. I think they will continue to do so.

Short answer to what has changed: They are done upgrading the server blades and so the vast majority of manufacturing capacity they bought is going to market.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
OP, I can't find any source for Xbox being #2 in the HW ranking this month. Did I overlook something?

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
8/20 Nintendo games. Without digital. That's some proper domination of the US market.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Is the Switch's continued success going to push Nintendo's Switch successor further into the future? I mean, the Switch is still topping hardware sales and it has to be dirt cheap to produce by now despite increased manufacturing costs due to shortages.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Lowest monthly spending since COVID hit.

Lack of content or a sign of things to come with where the economy is trending towards.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is nothing more to it if PS5 is simply every single unit that's produced and can't keep up with the demand.

Is the Switch's continued success going to push Nintendo's Switch successor further into the future? I mean, the Switch is still topping hardware sales and it has to be dirt cheap to produce by now despite increased manufacturing costs due to shortages.
I would just accept now that we're all still going to be looking at the current specs of the Switch as the default model for another year yet at a minimum. The new model will arrive when it arrives, but it's never been as imminent as some folks are hoping for.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
2022 has been dire for new releases, industry has actually been kind of lucky that Elden Ring has been such a big crossover hit and is like 200 hrs long.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

I mean Sony said their stock is being emptied in literal minutes, which definitely seems to be the case as two years in people *still* can't easily get a PS5 compared to the Switch or even Series S which is more readily available from retailers. Demand is definitely highest with PlayStation still, despite having the lowest stock.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I would just accept now that we're all still going to be looking at the current specs of the Switch as the default model for another year yet at a minimum. The new model will arrive when it arrives, but it's never been as imminent as some folks are hoping for.
This is my feeling too. I just don't see an incentive for Nintendo to take the risk on a new platform and deal with the shortages that are hampering Sony/MS

Trey2Deebo

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2022
Any end in sight to the supply constraints for Sony? Seems like they're really hurting on the HW front.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
"Starfield looks like a Bethesda game"

Yeah who would ever want that?
People can be really out of touch. I still remember people arguing that TES6 should pivot to look more like The Witcher, but that's just opting out of a blue ocean into a red one. Nobody really makes games like BGS does, it's like Smash Bros with its own little mini-genre. People mention the glitches and someone was arguing that they should cut out the ability to drag and drop items the way they do if it would make the games less glitchy. But I would argue most of the memes and the fun content (mods, videos, etc...) all come from the way BGS games remember where you drop and move items and people. If all the swords become static drops instead of real objects, then you lose the magic.

I hope they re-release Skyrim as a game you can install on your ship's computer in Starfield lol

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I except Sony to go crazy with their September showcase.

They have many games in pipelines not announced.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I've been so close to spontaneously purchasing a Series S every time I see it, even though I already have a Series X

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Would love to get some full Switch Sports numbers soon. Given NPD doesn't do Nintendo digital and this is based on revenue, they must be kinda wild. I didn't even realize this had a package release to be honest, feels like one the majority of people would snag digitally - and if that is the case, this will post some huge numbers when all is said and done. I basically only play bowling (occasionally a game of tennis or volleyball) and me and the wife somehow have logged 40 hours in already. It is kinda the perfect nighttime drinking game, don't need to pay a ton of attention and carries on at a slow enough pace to still have conversations throughout.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see these threads I just think about how pissed Sony must be about the stock situation for them. PS5 would be breaking all sorts of records right now otherwise.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Both PS5 and SX are selling every unit there is to buy, pretty much instantly. And the S is also selling very well.
I know that there's nothing to really gain from the sales numbers apart from who was able to make more systems in a given month. My question (that was poorly worded/poor explanation) was simply wondering what's changed behind the scenes for MS to get more consoles out than PlayStation several months in a row, when last year it was flipped towards PlayStation.

I mean Sony said their stock is being emptied in literal minutes, which definitely seems to be the case as two years in people *still* can't easily get a PS5 compared to the Switch or even Series S which is more readily available from retailers. Demand is definitely highest with PlayStation still, despite having the lowest stock.
Oh yeah, absolutely. I've been trying and failing to get a PS5 since last year and it feels impossible still. Demand is definitely higher for PS5 (which makes the shortages feel worse) but I'm more curious what's changed on the supply production side for Microsoft to have seemingly boosted production while Sony is seemingly falling behind. Like, I'm sure part of that is the Series S and the production split starting to favor that, but I can't see that being the full reason given Xbox is ahead in both sales and revenue.

I'm not intending to be doomist or anything despite how that sounds, just curious what's changed in the last year or so to allow MS to make more Xbox systems

Every time I see these threads I just think about how pissed Sony must be about the stock situation for them. PS5 would be breaking all sorts of records right now otherwise.
I'm sure they're deeply frustrated, but there's nothing to be done about it now. They just have to ride it out and hope for a miracle to get them to meet demand.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure they would taken MS's approach more seriously when designing their SKUs, but I don't think many people expected XSS to take off as much as it has.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
People can be really out of touch. I still remember people arguing that TES6 should pivot to look more like The Witcher, but that's just opting out of a blue ocean into a red one. Nobody really makes games like BGS does, it's like Smash Bros with its own little mini-genre. People mention the glitches and someone was arguing that they should cut out the ability to drag and drop items the way they do if it would make the games less glitchy. But I would argue most of the memes and the fun content (mods, videos, etc...) all come from the way BGS games remember where you drop and move items and people. If all the swords become static drops instead of real objects, then you lose the magic.

I hope they re-release Skyrim as a game you can install on your ship's computer in Starfield lol
Well said. I've also seen the comments before where people think BGS should make their worlds static and my eyes almost roll out of their sockets. I've said before there's no other dev out there making "Skyrim-likes" even though they're enormously successful and it's probably because it's really damn hard. Even simple stuff like being able to talk to characters and progress quests no matter where the NPC is in the whole world. I mean there's a reason in every other game NPCs are static or conversations can only take place in cut scenes. I'm playing Oblivion on my Steam Deck right now and that game still does stuff that most open world RPGs do not.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. You don't want to wait until your console is dying before you get the successor out- you want that in the chamber ready to go long before that point.

The Switch is Nintendo's only hardware platform right now- it would be terrible for their business if they weren't prompt at replacing it, or at least starting a gentle transition.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they're deeply frustrated, but there's nothing to be done about it now. They just have to ride it out and hope for a miracle to get them to meet demand.

Hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure they would taken MS's approach more seriously when designing their SKUs, but I don't think many people expected XSS to take off as much as it has.

Oh yeah and the readily available stock for XSS is helping by the boatloads, not to oversimplify its success.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Elden Ring surely has legs. Hopefully Arceus will keep selling well until the end of the year, too.

I guess Microsoft really played smart with suppliers to keep producing XBS at a steady pace while PS5 can't keep up with last year.