• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Parters got would be dumb if him since he already has a large following. He doesn't need anyone taking his money he is making now.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I can only speak from my own experience, but it seems recent YouTube policy changes (within the last year or so) have made MCNs much more cautious than before. It seems Strikes are now just as damaging for networks as they are for individual channels. I know our own network was actively trying to kick Managed channels back down to affiliate and I had to fight for our own preservation.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Max will bounce back like he always does. He'll probably be better off now.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
He'll be fine. Probably makes a lot more from his Twitch streams than he does his YouTube channel. Max makes great content so either way he's got support.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
thankfully especially at his size I think he should be for the most part fine, if anything he could try doing it solo or find another company to go with.

by the way Youtube didnt do anything this time around really atleast from what it seems. Its another company that dropped him his YT is still up and can be watched it could be harder to possibly get contacts for sponsorships/press events but like I said at his size with his following he should generally be ok.
Youtube is pretty shit tho atleast like it was before when it comes to monetization so if anything he may take a hit on that end but he streams frequently on Twitch so he could fall back on that and dedicate more time on streams than he does on youtube.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Considering the crazy amount of donations he gets sometimes, I think he should be fine? But maybe he wants the stability.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet people like PewDiePie commit so much terrible shit and nothing happens to them.

YouTube fucking sucks.

Maker Studios an MCN owned by Disney did drop him after the first offense. The fact that he's STILL around and making money kinda demonstrates what others are saying about MCN's influence being on the decline.

An MCN is kind of like the equivalent of having a good agent in Hollywood that builds a reputation for you that gets you auditions and #ad opportunities $ and free schwag in exchange for making videos with said free shit.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was googling it , checking out info like this wiki page http://polarisnetwork.wikia.com/wiki/Polaris , and it seems like a bit of a scam to me. Like they'll take a cut of other peoples work and add what exactly ? They have funds to pay youtubers to be a part of their network? Is it really that mutually beneficial? Because it seems like a company like this is benefited far more by hiring talent and just using that talent to get more money for the company. Sorry I have no idea how this works but it seems akin to a publisher / developer situation. As far as I can tell, max and other content creators have their own social media accounts to promote themselves.
Oh there have been many controversies relating to MCNs. Polaris and Machinima are some of the worst offenders in the business; Polaris are notorious for delayed payments, and Machinima... well, they're a whole basket of eggs unto themselves. They've been involved in several cases where they've basically intimidated their creators into signing contracts that self-sabotage and bootstrap their creators. Dunkey was signed onto a lifelong contract that was apparently illegal.

The main reason you'd want to be under a network despite all the potential collateral is because YouTube revenue alone is hardly sustainable.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
MCNs used to be vital because it was the easiest way to get money, provided royalty free music, got better ads, and helped protect against certain copyright claims. Youtube changed the way MCNs did business in that if an MCN got a certain amount of copyright claims they would no longer be able to monetize. So, a bunch of partners got dropped except the tip-top people.

For someone in Max's position it is absolutely not needed.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Patreon would probably work out well for the channel but I wonder if he'd feel like he's just double dipping his audience considering the stream subs and tips?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Max had videos removed for the same reason some time ago and made a video about it back then. I suggest anyone who is confused by the whole thing, to give it a watch.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Speaking of Max, why have half of those Top EVO Moments videos been deleted? I miss those.

Multi-Channel Network, basically one of the old ways you could make YouTube a profitable venture - get picked up by a network (i.e Machinima, Curse, Complex, Polaris etc.) and they'll pay you an actual profitable salary for your videos. If you want to make regular video making a job it's highly pertinent to be under a network since actual YouTube revenue is a pittance.

Max could probably get by without it, hell even open up a Patreon or some such (plus he has a popular Twitch stream) but he uploads videos at such a decent pace that it was most likely a huge revenue stream for him. I wonder whether this means he's going to focus on the Twitch side of things.

This seems an old take. From what I tell youtube themselves used to pimp MCN's but now frown on and de-emphasize them. In addition, all the same ads run on MCN channels and normal channels, whereas MCN's used to get preferred higher revenue ads (learned all this from a DSP video lol). In fact Phil's former MCN told him he was better off going independent as it would be easier to deal with floods of fake copyright strikes on his own, or something.

Basically as far as I can tell there's zero reason to use an MCN anymore.

Kibou

Nov 4, 2017
MCNs are unnecessary nowadays, they don't offer more revenue either, they actually take a cut from your YouTube earnings in exchange for stuff like video assets, royalty free music or graphic services. They only help you with promotion and brand deals if you're BIG.

If he's about to hit 1 million, I'm sure he'll be fine on his own, though a Patreon account couldn't hurt.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually don;t know what a MCN is at all. Max asks why do they need them in that tweet, and I wanted to ask, why DO they need them? I see youtubers self promote themselves. I've never seen a company do it.

It's a bit easier to go on your own now because many game publishers are more lax with their content claims, but years ago they were much more strict and it was worth it to have the backing of one for protection.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Oh there have been many controversies relating to MCNs. Polaris and Machinima are some of the worst offenders in the business; Polaris are notorious for delayed payments, and Machinima... well, they're a whole basket of eggs unto themselves. They've been involved in several cases where they've basically intimidated their creators into signing contracts that self-sabotage and bootstrap their creators. Dunkey was signed onto a lifelong contract that was apparently illegal.

The main reason you'd want to be under a network despite all the potential collateral is because YouTube revenue alone is hardly sustainable.

That's pretty scummy. I hope this turns out to be a blessing in disguise for Max.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
MCNs are unnecessary nowadays, they don't offer more revenue either, they actually take a cut from your YouTube earnings in exchange for stuff like video assets, royalty free music or graphic services. They only help you with promotion and brand deals if you're BIG.

If he's about to hit 1 million, I'm sure he'll be fine on his own, though a Patreon account couldn't hurt.
I get the impression he doesn't particularly care about revenue from youtube, he just wants his videos to be there so people can view them whenever they want. He's making a killing on Twitch (it seems). Youtube was always a secondary thing.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Max will be alright. He is currently my favourite youtuber/streamer and such a nice dood.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This seems an old take. From what I tell youtube themselves used to pimp MCN's but now frown on and de-emphasize them. In addition, all the same ads run on MCN channels and normal channels, whereas MCN's used to get preferred higher revenue ads (learned all this from a DSP video lol). In fact Phil's former MCN told him he was better off going independent as it would be easier to deal with floods of fake copyright strikes on his own, or something.

Basically as far as I can tell there's zero reason to use an MCN anymore.
Yeah it's pretty possible that Max can do just fine on his own. I'm not that versed in how important it still is to be under a network, I just know several channels I follow are still under one, while channels like That One Video Gamer / The Completionist are basically treading an extreme needle with how much they're trying to maximize YouTube revenue due to how much their algorithms and revenue streams keep screwing creators over. Jirard went on a prolonged rant about this recently. I'm not sure if Max will have trouble, but I don't blame him for feeling a little stranded given how up until now he's been pretty safe and secure doing what he does.

May 5, 2018
Bummer news, but Max will be fine after this.
I also want to say he and the YoVideoGames crew are some of my favorite Youtubers around. Love it whenever they play Mario Party and Mortal Kombat.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pr0bait is crazy. I've seen him(her?) donate massive amounts to both TeamFourStar during their streams and Maximilian Dood. Like no one knows who he is but seemingly he's incredibly rich cause no way he could do the donations they do and be middle class.
I think it's not just twitch streams. I've had $400 donated to my Ko-Fi before and I'm pretty sure it was them who did it.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
What mcn was max a part of?

I know a friend of mine joined screenwave after being dropped by fullscreen and he's been pretty positive on them.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it sucks but I'm pretty sure Max is still pretty good, like Twitch is what made Max to buy good gear and even house. Youtube always was his passion than money maker.

As for Patreon he mentioned numerous times how he wont go for it since Twitch is donations keep him afloat yet again he was streaming first year or 2 without donations.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Max is exactly the type of guy/channel that a company should be promoting, much less dropping. Their loss.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's pretty possible that Max can do just fine on his own. I'm not that versed in how important it still is to be under a network, I just know several channels I follow are still under one, while channels like That One Video Gamer / The Completionist are basically treading an extreme needle with how much they're trying to maximize YouTube revenue due to how much their algorithms and revenue streams keep screwing creators over. Jirard went on a prolonged rant about this recently. I'm not sure if Max will have trouble, but I don't blame him for feeling a little stranded given how up until now he's been pretty safe and secure doing what he does.
I definitely think Max will be fine but I think he just wants the job security. You can't really depend on donations, an MCN provides a consistent revenue.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Max is way bigger on twitch than most people (routinely sits at 10K+ views, has well over 20K subs) and should easily survive without an MCN who do minimal work anyway lol. Just market his own stuff really. Or hire someone to do it for him that takes the same cut and removes the middleman.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Seems like their loss. Max will be more than fine on his own. Dude is going to break a million subscribers on Youtube alone pretty soon.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This is the second time I've heard of a YouTube creator being dropped by thier MCN in a terrible fashion. BPS Customs was suddenly dropped by his earlier in the year
https://youtu.be/mEaJLwruInI

I'm still not fully sure how these networks work and why they seem to treat their partners so poorly.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should start a patreon though that's even better security than an MCN, that's guaranteed monthly income that you can measure, budget out, and plan for.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
This is probably for the best isn't it? The impression I've gotten from those I've talked to talked to who are partnered with one and all the horror storues from Machinima and Polaris, most regret getting on board.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Jesus. I'm guessing he was able to find a way out?

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
the value of an MCN these days is pretty much zero

they used to protect you from Content ID/DMCA claims, not anymore.

as far as higher CPM ads for partners... after the ad-pocalypse it's a shitshow for everyone.

I have my doubts they'll ever get back to 2016 revenue numbers =(

Status
Not open for further replies.