• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne is definitely the best.

I'd put Sekiro at the bottom (though it was extremely solid)... As for the three Dark Souls it's really hard for me to rank them but three was probably my favorite.

Demon's Souls was my first and it was mind blowing.

Let's be real though, they're all incredible, but only one of them is possibly the best game ever made.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
S Tier: Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3
A Tier: Dark Souls, Sekiro
B Tier: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2

I had to edit the list after thinking about it a bit more.

Last edited:

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Nothing will come close to a bloodborne to me I don't think, just the lore & world cannot be topped. Sekiro was the first From game I absolutely didn't like.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
My biggest problem with Bloodborne is it feels INCREDIBLY limited to me. Your really shoehorned into a very specific playstyle and if you don't like that well tough luck.
This is true......but I think it makes sense since you play the part of a Hunter in the game,and they use a specific toolset to get their job done.You naturally come across more options when you discover arcane tools as you progress but I like playing the part of a Hunter and all that entails.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't agree with it 1:1, but DS2 is at the bottom that's the most important part.

Imagine Sekiro with a Old Hunters-tier DLC, would it change any rankings?

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
SS tier:
Bloodborne is GOAT.

S tier:
Dark Souls 3 is the love letter to all souls game.
Dark Souls started the hype.

A tier:
Sekiro is beautiful and fun but it feels like a one and done game.
Demons Souls this game is just special; from the bosses to the NPCs. It has not aged well though.

B tier: Dark Souls 2 was very ambitious but fell short. The worst Souls game and it is still better than most games out there.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I"ve played them all except for Demons Souls and most of them are great or better. Dark Souls 2 is just a 6/10 though. The game has mostly bad bosses, mediocre level design. Extremely bad hitboxea and is bloated as hell.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Solid list, a tiny bit off of mine. But good.

Most important is BB at #1. It is. I pray for a PC or higher framerate version some day. The drops and frame pacing are the only things holding it back.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Any list with Bloodborne at the top and Dark Souls II at the bottom is correct. And the tiers only go from S to B. There's no C tier or lower when it comes to Soulsborne games.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
  1. Sekiro/Dark Souls 3
  2. Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Demons Souls
  3. Dark Souls 2
    *Edit:Could someone explain to me why some people don't consider Sekiro a "souls" game?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
My list is basically the reverse lmao.

Best: Sekiro, DS2
Really Good: Demon's, DS
Good: BB
Meh: DS3

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
SS Tier - Bloodborne, Demon's Souls
S Tier - Dark Souls
A Tier - Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 2
B Tier - Sekiro

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Dark Souls 2 is a genuine D tier game. What little care was put into that game completely goes against everything these games stand for.

Laconik

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Disingenuous arguments and acting in bad faith; prior similar ban and account in junior phase
Isn't this that racist that said the N-word on stream?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this that racist that said the N-word on stream?

Are we really doing this again? He was given a tongue twister and accidentally said it and then apologized profusely.

Edit: In fact haven't you asked the same thing before in a thread? I swear you did and we already explained what happened...

dred

Oct 27, 2017
S-tier: Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro
A-tier: Dark Souls 2
B-tier: Dark Souls 1
C-tier: Demon's Souls

Precision: this list is relative; the rating of the games is done in relation to each other. Objectively, they are all great and better than most video games.
Your s-tier is perfection!

Blows my mind that From made three masterpiece games in a single generation with three different IPs, two of which were brand new.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
S Tier: Dark Souls
A: Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3
B: Bloodborne, Demon's Souls
C: Nioh

Bloodborne is one of my favorites from a style standpoint, but as someone who played through all of the Souls games as a magic user, I found Bloodborne absolute hell to play. I felt completely nuts when folks kept saying how much 'easier' it was compared to Souls. One of the hardest games I've played, easily. I had to get the DLC and the bow and arrow weapon just to cheese my way through to even beat it. Incredible world, though.

No opinion on Sekiro. I'll check it out eventually when it's very cheap, but considering my issues with Bloodborne, I don't expect it to go well. For the record, I've beaten Dark Souls 1 probably 20+ times, and 2 and 3 several as well, so I'm no stranger to the series or anything. I'm just very bad at hard games, but enjoy Souls nonetheless.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Cant agree with this. I would never put such derivative game like DSIII above Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro. I can't think of a single game from the seventh generation more ambitious and creative than Demon's Souls. Its the Rain World of the seventh generation.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I have not played enough of Sekiro to comment, but I kinda agreed and kinda disagreed with this list.

My ranking: Bloodborne > DS2 + DS3 > DS1 > Demons

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I love Max but i will never fully "believe" (don't know if this is the correct way to describe this) his opinion on Sekiro until he replays it (not that he doesnt have some valid points) because his second stream of the game was pure DBFZ levels of salt.

He was just rushing thru everything (i swear he was in fountainhead for like 30 mins or something like that) and brute forcing everything because there was another game coming out during that period (DMCV or REmake?) and it lead to one of his longest (duration wise that i know of) and worst stream that i have ever seen from him which was his second stream of the game.

It was pretty telling when he came back to actually finish the game on his third stream he was having a lot of fun fighting Isshin where in the second streams he was being all doom and gloom about it the entire time.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I love Max but i will never fully "believe" (don't know if this is the correct way to describe this) his opinion on Sekiro until he replays it (not that he doesnt have some valid points) because his second stream of the game was pure DBFZ levels of salt.

He was just rushing thru everything (i swear he was in fountainhead for like 30 mins or something like that) and brute forcing everything because there was another game coming out during that period (DMCV or REmake?) and it lead to one of his longest (duration wise that i know of) and worst stream that i have ever seen from him which was his second stream of the game.

It was pretty telling when he came back to actually finish the game on his third stream he was having a lot of fun fighting Isshin where in the second streams he was being all doom and gloom about it the entire time.

I mean he gave it a 8.5. From your response you'd think he would have said it was bad and awful. Unless one thinks 8.5 is bad. It's perfect respectable and in the upper tier of gaming.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne is very good, but Dark Souls 1&3 are better. There is something about the combat system that feels a bit...not clunky or unpolished necessarily but something along the lines. The dash feels terrible to use against other hunters for example, itemising parrying and estus flasks were awful design decisions. It's gorgeous from an artistic standpoint though.

Soulsborne is such a terrible term. They are Souls games (because there are 4 _Souls games and only 1 BB).

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Bloodborne is legit one of the best videogames ever made. I get people being turned off by how difficult it is, but you have to look at the bigger picture, the story, the characters, so far, it's the BEST Lovecraftian work in videogame form, it's mature, it feels as though it could be written by the man himself, it's not a story obsessed with tentacles, cthulhu and all those things people take as Lovecraftian - no, it's an abstraction of what he made and turned it into something even better. You are the protagonist, you are part of something bigger than yourself and bigger than you will ever be, riddled with mysteries, everything has an ingame explanation, it's congruent with itself, it's exciting, it's just perfect... Except for the performance, man it runs badly on PS4 lol

My list would be

DS3 would be better if it wasn't so damn short

Funny you are saying this,since Bloodborne is the shortest of them all. DS3 has pretty much the same length as DS1,maybe more if you put the DLCs in.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I am always expecting to see Demon's Souls get snubbed, so I find it heartening that it didn't. However, I think Sekiro belongs in the top tier. I think it could be argued to be their best game. That being said, it is a damn fine list.

Are we really doing this again? He was given a tongue twister and accidentally said it and then apologized profusely.

Edit: In fact haven't you asked the same thing before in a thread? I swear you did and we already explained what happened...

I have given Max a lot of shit over the years (despite watching, and enjoying, a lot of his content), but this calling him a racist shit has always been super obnoxious. It couldn't be more clear that it was him stumbling with his speech. He was obviously horrified after the fact. Anybody trying to drag him for that shit hasn't seen the clip or they have a bone to pick with Max.

Last edited:

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not exactly my list but I'm glad he gives DS3 some love. That game is the culmination of everything they've learned over the years and their magnum opus imo.

My ranking would go like this
Top tier: Dark Souls 3
High Tier: Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne
Mid Tier: Dark Souls 1
Low Tier: Demon's Souls, Sekiro

I coonsider none of these bad games btw, just my ranking of all the Soulsbornekiro games next to each other.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Sekiro was the absolute best for me, by far. That said, it still does a lot of things I find aggravating.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I mean he gave it a 8.5. From your response you'd think he would have said it was bad and awful. Unless one thinks 8.5 is bad. It's perfect respectable and in the upper tier of gaming.

I think it's more like that sincethe playtrough was so rushed i just don't think a fair opinion could have been formed on what was basically half of the game.

The score is fine and i would be fine with him lowering his score on another playthrough if it lines up with everything he thinks about it but i feel like due to the circumstances i just cant "accept" his opinion (not that matters lol)

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Without a doubt DS3 has the best combat and the DLCs were pretty great. (Honestly I think all of the DLCs for the series have been great).

I'm not sure if I would put DS3 over DS1 but I could flip flop depending on the day.

I still really should go back and Plat DS3. I'm actually really close to it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Makes me sad with the near universal acclaim of Bloodborne that they aren't working on a sequel.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Bloodborne is the best, dark souls second best, dark souls 3, demons souls, dark souls 2.

Sekiro isn't a souls game and doesnt belong on this list.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much agree with the list. Almost had a heart attack after he almost put DS2 above Demon. Personally would have put Demon Souls above Sekiro, but then again, I'm not Sekiro even belongs on here.

Bloodborne is the only game in the series that dethroned Dark Souls 1 as being my favorite. While I don't consider the Souls to be "traditionally" medieval themed games, they still have kingdoms, Knights and dragons. BB feels like it's never been done before.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Man idk. I just don't like bloodborne at all. Idk I just connected with dark souls 1 and 3 way more

krg

Oct 27, 2017
This has to be the right place for my question...if I didn't like Dark Souls, would I enjoy Dark Souls 2 or 3?

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I would follow up with asking what you didn't like about Dark Souls? cause technically I suppose there is always a chance you could enjoy 2/3.
I think I hated the combat. The character felt so stiff...I don't know, I tried but I just couldn't get into it and dropped it.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
I think I hated the combat. The character felt so stiff...I don't know, I tried but I just couldn't get into it and dropped it.

This is where I'm at playing through Dark Souls after Bloodborne and Sekiro. The combat feels so sluggish and unsatisfying in comparison. I get that people have a lot of nostalgia, but the Soulsborne series always seemed to be full of jank to me, and never felt like a polished, actually fun game until Sekiro.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I would say Dark Souls 3 is more fluid then 1 and faster so you don't feel nearly as stiff. I will admit myself that it can be hard sometimes playing the originals after playing 3 because 3 just plays so much better (which since it came out after Bloodborne makes sense).

So I think if you can get DS3 for cheap I'd at least try it out.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
No game in the series gripped me as much as Bloodborne did. Such a masterfully crafted game. The Lovecraftian influences, the boss designs and boss gameplay, the level design and the combat system make this game one of the best experiences of all time for me. I love watching speedruns of the game and would replay a 60 FPS remaster on whichever console or PC in a heartbeat.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 / 3 are fantastic games as well, but are quite a bit behind Bloodborne for me. Dark Souls 2 is up next for me, with Sekiro on last place. I didn't really get on with the game in the same sense the other games had me glued to the screen. I need to give it another try some time, I'm probably doing the game a huge disservice. It still needs to "click" just like the other Souls games had to click with me once, but this hasn't happened with Sekiro so far.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Definitely try Bloodborne. I felt similarly about dark souls before, and only really got super into Bloodborne because of how much more agile and responsive the combat felt. It was a huge barrier before.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is my favorite by far (and the only one I actually finished). The combat/movement was much more fluid than the previous games while also having a lot of playstyles to choose from.
Second has to be Dark Souls, the interconnectivity of the world is genius, and most of memorable zones/bosses are in this game (I got bored after Anor Londo, so never finished the game, but watched multiple playthroughs).
I don't like Dark Souls 2 at all. Started it multiple times, but always stopped in a few hours in. The movement feels stiff, the game is ugly as hell, and it just doesn't feel good to play.
I don't like Sekiro either. No build variety, parrying is the only way to play the game and most of the zones felt too same-y.
I don't have any PS consoles, so never played Bloodbourne or Demon's Souls, but I did watch playthroughs of them. BB is pretty high up there, but the lack of weapons and general build variety brings it down for me. I love the fast combat and the lore though. Demon's Souls just seems like a much worse Dark Souls 1.