• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Lovecraft is one of the few pieces of shit that gets a bit of a free pass on here.
Lovecraft was a piece of shit, but Bloodborne often inverts the bigotry from his stories.

For example, the game has Yharnamites screaming propaganda about outsiders bringing tainted blood, when it's their own leaders and bloodlust that have done them in. Most of the outsiders in the game (Eileen, Gilbert, Valtr, the Hunter) are among the more noble characters; even the Fishing Hamlet, directly based on Innsmouth, is portrayed sympathetically as a place that was brutally massacred by Yharnam's founders for the same power that would ultimately doom them.

And the good ending in Bloodborne is basically the "awful twist" of Innsmouth.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Eh, it's probably due to playing it after DS1 and Sekiro, but I prefer both of those to Bloodborne.

Compared to DS1, I feel like Bloodborne lacks some of the more dungeon-y areas like Sen's. I've heard from some that traditional game elements like puzzles and traps are somehow antithetical to these From software games, but a careful use of these things can enhance the need for cautious exploration.

Since Bloodborne is going for action, I liked Sekiro's approach better, where the balance wasn't determined by player leveling. But more than either of these issues, I think Bloodborne's environments were lacking in contrast. They start grody and get grodier, without the more pristine areas like Anor Londo or Fountainhead Palace (Cainhurst as the game's winter area is nice though.)

Not to say that the game isn't very good, but I don't think I'd label it as clearly the best of the bunch.

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
My personal list (keep in mind its my personal list) and I'll be including some non-From tangentially related games:

Tier 1A: Bloodborne
Tier 1B: Demon's Souls
Tier 2: Dark Souls 3
Tier 3: Nioh
Tier 4: Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2
Tier 5: The Surge
Tier 6: Sekiro

Tier G: Lords of the Fallen

Sekiro was such a disconnect with me between what they were selling the game as, what my expectations of the game were and the game design that did not click with me at all. I was deeply disappointed that more stealth and "tricky" ninjitsu were not an option and I felt like the game design did not mix up the mechanics enough. It's also the only game in the From soulslike pantheon where I felt like the levels and level design (because a lot of the normal enemy designs could make full use of the game's mechanics, such as stealth) was absolutely better than most of the bosses.

The game has amazing art direction and music and the setting is just right for me, but it just does not work for me as a finished piece for some reason.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Id move Sekiro up one, but other than that its no different to how id have it. Playing on a good PC is game changing for these games.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
He got the first right.

For me it'd be something like BB>Sek>DS3>DS1.

Never played 2 and didn't finish Demon's Souls (gimme that remake).

Feels strange to include Sekiro here though since it's just so different from the others.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Eh? Counting the DLC, I'd say it's pretty comfortably the longest game in the series aside from DS2. It's definitely underappreciated, though, at least here on Era.
I didn't count the DLC, since I seldom play expansions anyways. I did play the first one which was 4 hours tops?

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
didn't play second DLC but I did get halfway done with a second playthrough
4e29dd1ad773057c860e076740e6e5f4.png

Maybe because it was my first Souls game, but Demon Souls dosn't get the recognition it deserves. It might be a fundational game, a more unpolished experience, but still it has some of the best levels of From games. Tower of Latria is incredibly tight level design, bith for a pure design standpoint and from the atmosphere it oozes.
Also navigating 2-2 is still one of the most incredible things I felt on a game.
some games get a free pass for being old, but Demon Souls is extremely rough. And it was rough back then. I completely understand it's great, but every time I try to play it, it's close to impossible. If I think DS1 has aged badly because it was clunky even when it came out, Demons Souls is a nightmare - remake pls

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because it was my first Souls game, but Demon Souls dosn't get the recognition it deserves. It might be a fundational game, a more unpolished experience, but still it has some of the best levels of From games. Tower of Latria is incredibly tight level design, bith for a pure design standpoint and from the atmosphere it oozes.

Also navigating 2-2 is still one of the most incredible things I felt on a game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Bloodborne deserves to be in whatever "Best of" list in gaming that is made. Game is that good.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I have two separate lists since PVP is very important to me. I have not played the Sony exclusive soul titles.

PVE
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls 2

PvP
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Lovecraft was a piece of shit, but Bloodborne often inverts the bigotry from his stories.

For example, the game has Yharnamites screaming propaganda about outsiders bringing tainted blood, when it's their own leaders and bloodlust that have done them in. Most of the outsiders in the game (Eileen, Gilbert, Valtr, the Hunter) are among the more noble characters; even the Fishing Hamlet, directly based on Innsmouth, is portrayed sympathetically as a place that was brutally massacred by Yharnam's founders for the same power that would ultimately doom them.

And the good ending in Bloodborne is basically the "awful twist" of Innsmouth.

Things like this is why Bloodborne is a fucking masterpiece.

People always point to the obvious with this game. The combat, the aesthetic, the enemy/level design. All amazing mind you.

But the thing that really elevates it is what From does with the Lovecraft mythos and how that story and lore play out. It is genuinely a masterpiece on that front. What I wouldnt give to be back in early 2015 with all the theory crafting and lore digging happening.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
A++: Dark Souls
A+: Bloodborne + DLC, Three Crowns DLC
A: Sekiro, Dark Souls 3 + DLC
A-: Dark Souls 2, Demon's Souls

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne with Old Hunters is probably the best package overall.
Demon's Souls is way too important, it still has some of the most memorable moments in the series and some of the best areas with the best item placement.
Dark Souls has the best world by far, but some of the later sections are truly bad.
Sekiro has some issues in discarding maybe too much of the Souls DNA but it was a risk worth taking and I much prefer having a flawed new experience than same old, same old.
Dark Souls 3 is good but toothless and derivative to a fault. Some good moments and areas but It feels way to safe considering how the series starter.
Dark Souls 2 is messy but I don't hate it. DLCs are really good.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
S-tier: Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro
A-tier: Dark Souls 2
B-tier: Dark Souls 1
C-tier: Demon's Souls

Precision: this list is relative; the rating of the games is done in relation to each other. Objectively, they are all great and better than most video games.
It's been a long time since I played Demon's so I don't know if i would put it in the same place but everything else I agree with.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Top Toppest of Top Tier Dark Souls
Toppy Top BloodBorne
Tippy Top Sekiro, Dark Souls 3
Tip Dark Souls 2

I havent played DeS

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
S-tier: Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro
A-tier: Dark Souls 2
B-tier: Dark Souls 1
C-tier: Demon's Souls

Precision: this list is relative; the rating of the games is done in relation to each other. Objectively, they are all great and better than most video games.
I agree with this, haven't played 3 or seki(not sure if I will) yet though. DeS remake could change this I hope.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bloodborne was held back so much by being an exclusive, 30fps with constant frame pacing issues made it feel awful compared to Dark Souls 3 on PC which was fucking incredible. It's the only reason I'd put DS3 over BB, even though BB was awesome. I would kill to play BB on PC, with Horizon coming to PC maybe there's hope one day.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne was held back so much by being an exclusive, 30fps with constant frame pacing issues made it feel awful compared to Dark Souls 3 on PC which was fucking incredible. It's the only reason I'd put DS3 over BB, even though BB was awesome. I would kill to play BB on PC, with Horizon coming to PC maybe there's hope one day.

Its really like night and day with the performance and loading times. DS3 had one of the better PvP too imo

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Sekiro/Bloodborne (Amazing)
Dark 1
Demons/Dark 3

Dark 2 (I'm not sure this game is actually goo /gets grabbed by something 10 feet to the right)

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My personal list (keep in mind its my personal list) and I'll be including some non-From tangentially related games:

Tier 1A: Bloodborne
Tier 1B: Demon's Souls
Tier 2: Dark Souls 3
Tier 3: Nioh
Tier 4: Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2
Tier 5: The Surge
Tier 6: Sekiro

Tier G: Lords of the Fallen

Sekiro was such a disconnect with me between what they were selling the game as, what my expectations of the game were and the game design that did not click with me at all. I was deeply disappointed that more stealth and "tricky" ninjitsu were not an option and I felt like the game design did not mix up the mechanics enough. It's also the only game in the From soulslike pantheon where I felt like the levels and level design (because a lot of the normal enemy designs could make full use of the game's mechanics, such as stealth) was absolutely better than most of the bosses.

The game has amazing art direction and music and the setting is just right for me, but it just does not work for me as a finished piece for some reason.
I was reading through the thread noticing no one really had a list that was quite like my own and fully expected to have to type it out myself, but this post perfectly nails my ranking. I feel like too many people sleep on DeS because it's the first and was a PS3 exclusive, but it and BB still have the best atmosphere by far. Plus I actually liked the more esoteric systems like world/character tendency, those and insight from BB made the games feel more mysterious.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
A: Dark Souls
A-: Dark Souls 3
B: Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne
D: Sekiro

Personally, I hate a lack of customization. Sekiro was a chore to play overall.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The build variety alone in DS2 puts it above Sekiro imo. I mean Sekiro is a one build game where you use the same move from the first enemy to the last.

Honestly the common complaints of lack of build variety / new game+ arguments against Sekiro never really bothered me.

Even if there's sort of only one build (IMO there are actually is some variety in the tools although not a lot) the upside is that the entire game is built around that build,and as as a result the combat and boss fights are way tighter and better designed than the other From games.

New Game + or starting over in Souls games never did that much for me either, because I'm already quite completionist in my first run, so I've seen all the optional stuff and by the time you're done with an area you've essentially 'solved it' forever, because you know all the traps / enemy patterns etc.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Id switch DS 2 and 3 but I know Im an outlier there.

List is pretty reasonable.

Oct 27, 2017
S+ tier : Bloodborne
S tier : Dark Souls 3, Sekiro
A+ tier : Dark Souls 1, Demon Souls
A tier : Dark Souls 2

They're all fantastic games. Nuff said.

Elden Ring will probably be a great game, too.

Last edited: