• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I have played every single RE game, here are my tiers. Now this is kind of my analytical list, not my personal list, this is how I view the series in terms of quality games while trying to take out some of my personal bias out.

GOAT Tier: RE4
S tier: REmake, RE2, REmake 2
A tier: RE1, RECV
B tier: RE3, RE5, RE7, Rev 2
C tier: RE0, RE6, Outbreak 1 and 2
D tier: Rev 1, Umbrella and Darksiders Chronicles
E tier: Dead Aim
F tier: Gun Survivor games, RE Mercenaries 3D, Operation Raccoon City, RE Gaiden
Absolute Dogshit Tier: Umbrella Corps

How do you feel about Deadly Silence?

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The chainsaw battle is one of the worst boss I EVER experienced, it's total crap since isn't readable, you don't get if you are dealing damage or not so you start to think it's a puzzle battle and you have to use the chainsaw on the door but nope, doesn't work (until you finish the battle of course).

So you hit him multiple times but not much change... and you just have to hit more and more times this sponge piece of crap over and over while he dodge under you face in such hilariously manner... on VR is even more stupid.

Really, I don't get how any experienced gamer (aka someone that has played a lot of games and know the difference between good and bad bossfights) has found this battle or other in this game any good.

The game shines only with normal enemies, so basically at the end of the game but still the mechanics are so simple and level design so linear and predictable... looks like an AA game made by some inexperienced studio rather then then the big AAA RE game...

It's a very challenging boss fight, that i agree, but in the same way that it frustrated you it ended up making me love the whole thing.

I don't think it was hard to understand for me personally, since the main theme of the game is about crazy maniacs with regenerative powers, so i kept doing damage, dodging and blocking until Jack went down for good; It's even worth mentioning that crouching avoids most of his attacks, while also knwoing that kicking bodies to throw him away is very helpful, tho it doesn't lasts forever.

Just the whole concept of trying to kill something that won't give up and can't fucking die already is very appealing to me, when i finally did it it felt like a huge accomplishment.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
How do you feel about Deadly Silence?

LOVED It and it's the way I prefer to play the original now cause you can skip all loads and finish the game in like 50 min lol. The remix mode was well done. The knife mini game was surprisingly fun. I don't think it's different enough for a separate spot, I just include that with DC as versions of RE1. I gave that disclaimer of making it a more objective list because personally, this may seem crazy, I still prefer the original RE to REmake. RE has a special place in my heart. I can appreciate the greatness of REmake but it never resonated with me the way the first few RE games did.

Someone else who has played outbreak! Ever play it online? Not sure if it is nostalgia but it feels like a missed opportunity over the last decade to not do a file #3.

Of course. One of my favorite online experiences. Had a good crew, always fun to do runs and get better at them, find all the secrets. It was very involved and deep. File 1 was kind of playable offline but 2 was nearly impossible. Online is the way to go.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
7 right where it belongs on that list. I would say people don't give it enough credit but since it's one of Capcom's best selling games of all time, I think the general population well and truly appreciates it.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
RE7 could have been an S if it had more puzzles and more exploration. It was simply too short.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
the series with some wonderful ideas to transition Resident Evil into first person with some wonderful sequences, and two of the best boss fights in the series.
RE7 could have been an S if it had more puzzles and more exploration. It was simply too short.
Resident Evil 7 is my third favorite RE game, but I do admit this is after the Gold Edition content and it's both saying RE7 is I think in a tier below RE4 and REmake, and I think REmake 2 is overall a better game, just there's things I like about RE7 more personally. I think RE7 could've joined REmake and RE4 with a few refinements and more time in the oven, it's so close to being a top tier Resident Evil but it held back by a few things. Namely enemy variety/quality, the last stretch of the game, it could do with more puzzles and exploration, a big interesting mix-up in the last third, a good final boss, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
he overrates re7 way too much. i just can't rate a game this high when it gets completly mediocre as soon as you leave the mansion. the ship and mines parts feel exactky like the mindless parts of revelations 1 when you're not playing jill, and that's like 60% of the game.

agree with RE4 being the best and RE2 and REmake coming right after
While I agree that the game isn't very good after you leave the Baker estate, saying that the remaining portions is like 60% of the game is flat out bold faced lie. The longest part is the ship which takes about 20 minutes or so to beat when you know where you are going, 40 if you are getting confused by how samey everything looks and the mines section is literally a straight shot through shooting gallery that take roughly 15 minutes from beginning to shooting Evelyn in the face. Compare that to the multiple floors of the mansion, the outside sections, Marguerite's insect ridden second house, Lucas' garage area, the mulitple RE style backtracking area on the estate and the section that leads to the final fight with Jack. The end game content is 15 to 20% at best. A tiny part of the entire game. It feels like more because it's a slog, but 80% of this game is gold.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly how I'd rank all the games, but seems like a good list overall.
I probably like RE0 more than most RE fans, because I didn't hate the lack of item boxes - at least not back in 2002. I remember liking the fact that I could put an item down without backtracking.
I haven't played through the remaster though, so perhaps my opinion would be different now if I went back to it today. I do wonder how much of the like for item boxes is because RE fans replay the games many times over, and have an idea of how many inventory slots they need to have free at certain parts of the games.
I've always wondered if RE0 would be "fixed" by allowing the player to drop items anywhere, but also having item boxes that items on the ground can be collected from. Sure, it doesn't make sense - but neither do the item boxes. Or maybe that would just break the game design.

I'd like a modern port of Code Veronica, as the last time I played it was back on the Dreamcast and I remember thinking it was okay but not great. It seems to be quite contentious, so I'd like the chance to play through it again. I am concerned about how it handles the Alfred/Alexia situation. I wouldn't have been looking at it with a critical eye back in 2000.
Trying to play through many of the PC ports of Resident Evil games really makes me wish that Capcom had either implemented proper mouse aiming, or that someone would have figured out a way to mod it in. All of the third-person games are built for gamepads, and it shows. Resident Evil 7 is the only game with good controls.

I don't know that I'd call it too short. There are large sections of the game I would have cut.
But I do agree that there should have been more focus on puzzles and exploration.

REmake is a near-perfect piece of game design and only seems to get better age - it certainly has no right looking as good as it does in 2020.
It's a real shame that they lost the ability to re-render it at higher resolutions like RE0 and had to resort to upscaling the backgrounds. Worse-still, they did a bad job of it.
There's a great mod for the PC version which uses AI upscaling based on the GameCube assets to produce a much cleaner result:

09h9jgh.png
19itkqg.png

It runs at 120 FPS on PC too, compared to 30 on the console versions.
I'm not sure why consoles run the game at 30 though - I'm sure they could have handled 60, since it's mostly a small number of character models on top of pre-rendered backgrounds.

There are patches to fix other issues in the remaster as well (present in all versions).

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I have played every single RE game, here are my tiers. Now this is kind of my analytical list, not my personal list, this is how I view the series in terms of quality games while trying to take out some of my personal bias out.

GOAT Tier: RE4
S tier: REmake, RE2, REmake 2
A tier: RE1, RECV
B tier: RE3, RE5, RE7, Rev 2
C tier: RE0, RE6, Outbreak 1 and 2
D tier: Rev 1, Umbrella and Darksiders Chronicles
E tier: Dead Aim
F tier: Gun Survivor games, RE Mercenaries 3D, Operation Raccoon City, RE Gaiden
Absolute Dogshit Tier: Umbrella Corps
Good, although I don't consider RE4 the best one in the series.

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
I need to play RE4 at some point. Is there a best version to play these days? I have a PS4, Switch and PC.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I need to play RE4 at some point. Is there a best version to play these days? I have a PS4, Switch and PC.
PC with controller. That game was not made with exact aiming of a mouse in mind and make the game a cakewalk.

Ultimately it's up to you though, but of the 3 you mentioned, PC is the best version.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
If you don't care about playing on portable mode, then your best bet is ps4/pc. On the pc version you can improve the game graphically via the RE4 hd Project mod if you're into that.

idk if im weird but i fell in love with the Wii motion controls. Was alot of fun :D not sure if you have that. Otherwise whatever your comfortable with seems good in my experience.
In terms of control, Wii is my favorite too.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say RE7 with PSVR bumps it up to S rank, imo. Amazing game, and End of Zoe could probably be listed as well, considering how good it is

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
idk if im weird but i fell in love with the Wii motion controls. Was alot of fun :D not sure if you have that. Otherwise whatever your comfortable with seems good in my experience.
PC with controller. That game was not made with exact aiming of a mouse in mind and make the game a cakewalk.

Ultimately it's up to you though, but of the 3 you mentioned, PC is the best version.
If you don't care about playing on portable mode, then your best bet is ps4/pc. On the pc version you can improve the game graphically via the RE4 hd Project mod if you're into that.

In terms of control, Wii is my favorite too.

Thanks all. I went to buy the PC version and noticed I already had it! I must have purchased it in a Steam sale at some point and forgotten about it. It's installing now so looking forward to playing it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It's a very challenging boss fight, that i agree, but in the same way that it frustrated you it ended up making me love the whole thing.

I don't think it was hard to understand for me personally, since the main theme of the game is about crazy maniacs with regenerative powers, so i kept doing damage, dodging and blocking until Jack went down for good; It's even worth mentioning that crouching avoids most of his attacks, while also knwoing that kicking bodies to throw him away is very helpful, tho it doesn't lasts forever.

Just the whole concept of trying to kill something that won't give up and can't fucking die already is very appealing to me, when i finally did it it felt like a huge accomplishment.
it's because you know that they don't freaking die that you start to think that it's a more "puzzle" battle, instead you have to go full sponge/braindead, isn't fun or challenging it's just spam and spam again with the chainsaw that has no visual feedback ad all since it clip through him all the time... ugh, so bad.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
it's because you know that they don't freaking die that you start to think that it's a more "puzzle" battle, instead you have to go full sponge/braindead, isn't fun or challenging it's just spam and spam again with the chainsaw that has no visual feedback ad all since it clip through him all the time... ugh, so bad.

He gets into a fragile state with a whole different animation when you do enough damage, RE always does this thing where you need to attack an weak spot 1-3 times until the boss dies, i'm used to it by now.

Also i guess if it was really a "braindead" type of deal, you're basically insulting yourself by not being able to figure out by then, chill a bit.

You can't even spam the same attacks because of his patterns, come on.