• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
To everyone saying 0 and Code Veronica are bad games, you're correct.

Top 5 are surely 2, 4, 7, 1, and 3. Hoping that remake of 3 is as good as the remakes of 1 and 2!

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Mercenaries 3D is underrated imho. The best raid setup of any RE game I have tried.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Of the ones I've played, I'd have to agree. I'd rank Veronica higher, but I haven't played it since release and it's very likely that the amazing (by the time) Dreamcast visuals heightened my perception of the game above what it would normally merit.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'd say my most recent ranking is pretty compatible with his, tho i might put 7 above REmake 2 any other day, it's an on-going battle between these two:

KGfUW9h.png

wtf, RE7 is such a shallow game with afwul game design choices and especially terrible bosses... and I played it in VR.
No way it's over RE5 in single player.

The fact people enjoy 7 really seems to upset some

Well, i can't vouch for everyone obviously, but to me it was the game that brought me back to the series after long years thinking it was a lost cause.

Didn't play it in VR from beginning to end (i don't have the hardware at home), tho the vanilla experience was more than enough to put it in the high tier considering the whole franchise.

Jack's garage boss fight, the chainsaw battle, Mia transforming, Mutated Marguerite, the happy birthday sequence; These are all still fresh into my mind and while being the best moments in gaming i've ever experienced. Not to mention the first person perspective, usage of gore and the entirety of the Baker's State plus its Louisiana setting, simply the best of the best.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The fact people enjoy 7 really seems to upset some

Seriously.

It might not have the enemy variety of other games and the last bit is a bit worse then then the rest of the game but there is still a ton of great shit in there. I personally loved most of the bosses and the writing/voice acting were great too!

Max's highlights of his RE7 VR run are a fun watch.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Nice list.

I like seeing REmake getting so much love, and I'd never look at anyone sideways for putting RE4 over it.

I've never played RE5 co-op. Is it that much better than solo?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Play - RE Gaiden - Survivor 2 - Dead Aim - Mercs 3D - Outbreak Files #2

He didn't play Mercs 3D? Honestly that one surprised me, especially considering it was somewhere between a tech demo and a filler release to tide fans over until Revelations came out.

It had a decent number of playable characters, maps, costumes and weapons and even had equippable skills and stuff. It's a shame we never got an expanded sequel or anything because Mercenaries as a mode could definitely learn a few things from it.

As for his actual list I'm surprised Revelations 2 is ranked as low as it is. I'd definitely put it up there with both versions of RE2.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The list is fine. Personally I would put the original RE and REmake on the S tier list but everything else looks about how I would rank it.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Not a bad list. I'd switch RE4 with REmake, and drop RE2 Remake and RE3 one category down. Otherwise, not a bad list.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'd say my most recent ranking is pretty compatible with his, tho i might put 7 above REmake 2 any other day, it's an on-going battle between these two:

KGfUW9h.png

Well, i can't vouch for everyone obviously, but to me it was the game that brought me back to the series after long years thinking it was a lost cause.

Didn't play it in VR from beginning to end (i don't have the hardware at home), tho the vanilla experience was more than enough to put it in the high tier considering the whole franchise.

Jack's garage boss fight, the chainsaw battle, Mia transforming, Mutated Marguerite, the happy birthday sequence; These are all still fresh into my mind and while being the best moments in gaming i've ever experienced. Not to mention the first person perspective, usage of gore and the entirety of the Baker's State plus its Louisiana setting, simply the best of the best.
The chainsaw battle is one of the worst boss I EVER experienced, it's total crap since isn't readable, you don't get if you are dealing damage or not so you start to think it's a puzzle battle and you have to use the chainsaw on the door but nope, doesn't work (until you finish the battle of course).

So you hit him multiple times but not much change... and you just have to hit more and more times this sponge piece of crap over and over while he dodge under you face in such hilariously manner... on VR is even more stupid.

Really, I don't get how any experienced gamer (aka someone that has played a lot of games and know the difference between good and bad bossfights) has found this battle or other in this game any good.

The game shines only with normal enemies, so basically at the end of the game but still the mechanics are so simple and level design so linear and predictable... looks like an AA game made by some inexperienced studio rather then then the big AAA RE game...

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The chainsaw battle is one of the worst boss I EVER experienced, it's total crap since isn't readable, you don't get if you are dealing damage or not so you start to think it's a puzzle battle and you have to use the chainsaw on the door but nope, doesn't work (until you finish the battle of course).

So you hit him multiple times but not much change... and you just have to hit more and more times this sponge piece of crap over and over while he dodge under you face in such hilariously manner... on VR is even more stupid.

I'm having a really hard time understanding what you're trying to say here. It's a pretty easy to understand boss fight. You shoot him until he gets knocked down and then you do a big attack to move onto the next phase. You can use the hanging bodies and such to keep him away. Then when you get the chainsaw you well, start chainsawing him.

Really, I don't get how any experienced gamer (aka someone that has played a lot of games and know the difference between good and bad bossfights) has found this battle or other in this game any good.

The game shines only with normal enemies, so basically at the end of the game but still the mechanics are so simple and level design so linear and predictable... looks like an AA game made by some inexperienced studio rather then then the big AAA RE game...

Gamers, am I right?

It's level design is pretty classic RE. So are you trying to say that the classics have bad level design?

Also a AA game? I'm not sure if you've actually played it but RE7 is a very good looking game. In VR it's obviously not as impressive but that's because your sacrificing graphics for the ability to play it in VR.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I mostly agree with this? But I'd probably put REmake and RE2make into the top tier with Resi 4, bump 6 and Rev1 down a tier and also bump Code Veronica and 0 down a tier as well.

I never played Darkside but MAN did Max do Umbrella Chronicles dirty. It's cheesy and dumb but it's maybe my favourite lightgun game of all time and definitely one of my most played Wii games. Even when compared to Twilight Princess or something, I put an insane amount of hours into UC trying to get all the files.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This is a solid list, I would definitely swap 6 with 0 though. He gives 6's shooting mechanics wayyyy too much credit. The movement system is damn solid but the guns do not feel great. 0 the train is EXCEPTIONAL, and I'm generally pretty fond of the research building as well (another mansion? I don't 100% remember what they call it) but yes the partner system drags it down and the characters don't have enough interaction between them to save it.

I have only played the main number games 0-7 and barely played any of the side games however so I've no real opinion on them.

Have the people who are saying CV and 0 are better actually played them recently? His placement of them is based a bit on recent playthroughs.

I played them both in Nov/Dec of last year. And I actually played 0 in the middle of completing 6 (I started Leon's campaign and finished it, started 0, played that and Chris/Jake campaigns at the same time, then beat 0, then went back and finished Ada), and 0 was so much better than 6 I finished that first, and then dreaded going back to 6. CV I have not played in more than a decade and can't comment.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

Sounds like an incredibly big overreaction. I beat jack effortlessly. Damaging the boss until it staggers and falls to the floor into a telegraphed "kill state" is such a common trope in games (and other RE games) that I don't know what to tell you, it seemed overly obvious what you were supposed to do. The whole "it isn't readable" complaint doesn't add up either, by this point in the game you've been dealing with Jack for multiple hours, you already know how he works, he's invincible, it's going to take something else to put him down, like, perhaps the giant tumorous weak point that appears on him for the first time during this very fight?

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just happy I've played every game on his list of not plays besides mercenaries 3d

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
REmake is a near-perfect piece of game design and only seems to get better age - it certainly has no right looking as good as it does in 2020.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 6 is so bad. I know this is subjective but I can't agree with him.

Also Code Veronica is a lot better than 6 and Steve is not as annoying as people make him out to be.

I think most people didn't play it at launch. The upgrade in graphics from the PS games was fucking HUGE.
I do agree though that this is where Wesker and all that Matrix stuff started and it's was a god awful decision.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty good ranking. I'd move a few games up or down a single spot (I'd flip REmake and RE4, and swap out OG RE2 for RE3), but overall it lines up closely with how I'd rate the series.

RE6 and RE0 should both be below Code Veronica, that's my only serious disagreement with the list. CV is a decent game that's more or less on the same level as the Revelations games, whereas I absolutely loathe RE0 and RE6.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 6 is so bad. I know this is subjective but I can't agree with him.

Also Code Veronica is a lot better than 6 and Steve is not as annoying as people make him out to be.

I think most people didn't play it at launch. The upgrade in graphics from the PS games was fucking HUGE.
I do agree though that this is where Wesker and all that Matrix stuff started and it's was a god awful decision.

Steve might be in one of the worst cutscenes of all time. Not only does he act stupid but his voice is incredibly annoying.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
He mentions loving RE5 for co-op, and for good reason, but I would put REV and REV2 up top for Raid Mode, I love that mode and would love a more focused version of it.

Also weird he doesn't put Outbreak 2 on there because he didn't play it, but pretty much says "I didnt play it, but I watched people play it" for Outbreak 1

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Not sure who this guy is but ok list. CV is way too low, I think it's a top tier old RE game, up there with RE2. I don't care about some issues with getting stuck, I have always been good at item management, I never got stuck. It's the closest to an RE1 feel in terms of location. The game keeps an incredible pace of good moments happening for what was the longest RE game at the time. It's a fantastic game.

RE7 is a bit too high, great game but it's more RE3 tier than top tier. 0 and 6 can go together. Everything else is fine.

Edit: Responding to Dusk Golem on CV, the backtracking in the game almost always leads to a new story moment, whether it's Alfred sniping you, the arrival of a new enemy, some gas chamber activating, Wesker showing up. Yes it makes you run around a ridiculous amount but the story keeps it moving along, the different traps and situations keep the intensity up. If old RE is about survive maze like areas while managing Items and ammo, CV is one of the stiffest challenges of that with excellent locations and tough moments. REmake clearly did a lot of this better but before it I felt CV was the ultimate in survival horror challenge.

Last edited:

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Code Veronica is a much better game than 0, they shouldn't be in the same tier
Not sure who this guy is but ok list. CV is way too low, I think it's a top tier old RE game, up there with RE2. I don't care about some issues with getting stuck, I have always been good at item management, I never got stuck. It's the closest to an RE1 feel in terms of location. The game keeps an incredible pace of good moments happening for what was the longest RE game at the time. It's a fantastic game.

I agree with this. Issues like Bandersnatches and poison moths don't bother me in the least. In fact, I like that Code Veronica is one of the few Resident Evil games where both the knife and blue herbs actually matter. As for the airplane fight: I actually did get stuck without enough ammo, but wisely realized this was my fault and not the game's.

Code: Veronica is basically the only RE game with an interesting story before 7 as well, so I give it credit. The Ashfords are excellent villains themselves, and throw Wesker into the mix for a good villain pie.

I'd be more annoyed about Steve if he didn't die horribly at the end which balances it somewhat, but yeah he's definitely a downside.

Resident Evil 0, meanwhile, is a bad game the moment you leave the train. Everything about the partner/no item box system is poorly thought out and implemented, and I disagree with Dusk that CV has more problematic "too many items" puzzles when RE0 has the "pick up pieces of stuff and put them together" sections.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My own ranking:

S+: REmake
S: REmake 2, RE3
A: RE4, RE2
B: RE1, REV2, Outbreak 1&2, REV1, Darkside Chronicles
C: Umbrella Chronicles, RE5 (solo only; never did co-op because why do I want co-op in what is supposed to be a survival horror game)
D:
E:
F: RE6 (I really hated this game. I couldn't even complete one campaign; it actually disgusted me. It's absolutely the lowest point the franchise for me and I'm so glad Capcom remembered what made the franchise so appealing in the first place after that.)

I haven't gotten around to playing RE0, RECV, or RE7 yet. Waiting on sales for those. I have no intention of playing any other games in the series that I may have missed (unless Outbreak comes back), and I'm never gonna touch RE6 again.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
I may be the only person with outbreak in my S tier. It was silly and broken and too full of stupid PVP lobby's but man was it a rush. Felt kinda like dark souls when playing for the first time due to no communication. Outbreak 2 was fun too! The zoo with the zombie elephant was great! I hope resistance does well so they can look back a little on this and maybe use it as Inspiration in the future.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played RE5 co-op. Is it that much better than solo?

I was pretty down on RE5 solo at launch. It was ok, but then a year later I played it co-op with a friend on the highest difficulty and we had a great time. It really does elevate the experience.

Only the various turret sequences were a letdown, but mostly given on the highest difficulty they can be very punishing leading to many attempts until perfected, especially with some ill-conceived QTE's added in to eff you over too. But like Max, I'd move it up a slot as well given the co-op.

(I would NOT say the same of RE6 though. Co-op or solo, the campaign was bunk either way. We didn't enjoy it, even after 30+ hours to see every chapter in its entirety)

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty down on RE5 solo at launch. It was ok, but then a year later I played it co-op with a friend on the highest difficulty and we had a great time. It really does elevate the experience.

Only the various turret sequences were a letdown, but mostly given on the highest difficulty they can be very punishing leading to many attempts until perfected, especially with some ill-conceived QTE's added in to eff you over too. But like Max, I'd move it up a slot as well given the co-op.

(I would NOT say the same of RE6 though. Co-op or solo, the campaign was bunk either way. We didn't enjoy it, even after 30+ hours to see every chapter in its entirety)
Interesting. Thanks for your impressions.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Have the people who are saying CV and 0 are better actually played them recently? His placement of them is based a bit on recent playthroughs.

Dusk Golem made a good post on their issues:

I haven't played 0 recently, admittedly, but I did play Code Veronica around a year ago and I still genuinely enjoyed it. It's corny as sin, the story's terrible, and it started the awful Matrix Wesker thing, but it was at least serviceable, and it really has a great soundtrack in my opinion. Also, the knife is fun in it lol. RE6 was played by the wife and I recently as well when it was re-released on the X1, and we couldn't even hang on past the second stage of Leon's campaign, and his is the best of them all. Even in co-op, the game simply doesn't hold up, we just found it God awful. I do admit that I soldiered through on single player and finished every campaign despite hating it, and I really couldn't tell you why. I think I'm just an RE fan boy at heart.
Speaking of re6, the more I think about it, I would place REV1 and 2 both far above it, as I actually really enjoyed those titles, (though for some reason I never finished REV2 and I'm not sure why, need to rectify that some day), so yeah.....still though, I get the reason for his rankings and it's all just opinions, not a big deal.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I have played every single RE game, here are my tiers. Now this is kind of my analytical list, not my personal list, this is how I view the series in terms of quality games while trying to take out some of my personal bias out.

GOAT Tier: RE4
S tier: REmake, RE2, REmake 2
A tier: RE1, RECV
B tier: RE3, RE5, RE7, Rev 2
C tier: RE0, RE6, Outbreak 1 and 2
D tier: Rev 1, Umbrella and Darksiders Chronicles
E tier: Dead Aim
F tier: Gun Survivor games, RE Mercenaries 3D, Operation Raccoon City, RE Gaiden
Absolute Dogshit Tier: Umbrella Corps

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
I have played every single RE game, here are my tiers. Now this is kind of my analytical list, not my personal list, this is how I view the series in terms of quality games while trying to take out some of my personal bias out.

GOAT Tier: RE4
S tier: REmake, RE2, REmake 2
A tier: RE1, RECV
B tier: RE3, RE5, RE7, Rev 2
C tier: RE0, RE6, Outbreak 1 and 2
D tier: Rev 1, Umbrella and Darksiders Chronicles
E tier: Dead Aim
F tier: Gun Survivor games, RE Mercenaries 3D, Operation Raccoon City, RE Gaiden
Absolute Dogshit Tier: Umbrella Corps
Someone else who has played outbreak! Ever play it online? Not sure if it is nostalgia but it feels like a missed opportunity over the last decade to not do a file #3.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Someone else who has played outbreak! Ever play it online? Not sure if it is nostalgia but it feels like a missed opportunity over the last decade to not do a file #3.

Outbreak as a single player game is honestly bottom tier as much as I wanted to like it, the AI is a disgrace. Never got to play it online

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
Outbreak as a single player game is honestly bottom tier as much as I wanted to like it, the AI is a disgrace. Never got to play it online
Yeah man offline was complete trash, I'm sorry you did not get a chance to try it online. Not gonna say it will be top tier for everyone but it was a fun unique experience if you can look past early playstation online jank .