• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Cool video series (and live streams on Twitch) about old PS1 fighting games, looking back at them and playing them.

So far the videos are these:

and one more (Bloody Roar 2) but Era has a media limit lol. With likely more to come.

Any you recognize? Any of them look different then what you remember?

Something pretty rad to watch as we approach next gen. Discuss your favorite PS1 fighting game here!

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Watched him play Evil Zone, glad he finally put some real time into the game since it's a hidden gem.

A pity he didn't show the Japanese version, best fighting game opening outside of Soul Edge. The english version just kills the opening with the stupid butt rock music.

Last edited:

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
oh damn part 4 and 5 are up already I need to catch up

Jan 4, 2018
The Twin Goddesses playthrough was perfect. I remember watching GB play it a while ago (I think as part of Ranking of Fighters) and hoped Max would one day. There are a couple of unironically cool songs in that game too.

Evil Zone was also awesome, but in the way that it actually looked really fun. I hadn't heard of it before seeing it on his stream.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the Dynasty Warriors fighting game! I actually had that, and thought for years that DW was a fighting game franchise because of it. Will watch these later.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the Battle Arena Toshinden one and I kind of wish I wouldn't have.

In my mind it was much more fluid and awesome, like when his emulator was spitting out the game at 120 FPS... but when he "fixed it" I was all "ohhhh nooooo...".

And somehow it's still better than Tekken 1 ...

Yo, what were we thinking back then??

I remember being hype as fuck on Tekken and Toshinden and Virtua Fighter but looking back, the only fighters from the time period still worth a damn were the 2D offerings we were beginning to shun at the time because "Threeeeeee DEEEEEEEEEE..."

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

In my mind it was much more fluid and awesome, like when his emulator was spitting out the game at 120 FPS... but when he "fixed it" I was all "ohhhh nooooo...".

And somehow it's better than Tekken 1 ...

I remember being hype as fuck on Tekken and Toshinden and Virtua Fighter but looking back, the only fighters from the time period still worth a damn were the 2D offerings we were beginning to shun at the time because "Threeeeeee DEEEEEEEEEE..."

3D animation offered an entirely new gameplay *feeling* after a decade of 2D brawlers and fighters. I can still clearly remember what it felt like to see an "infinite" number of animation frames inside of Virtua Fighter 1 in an arcade and losing my goddamned mind.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017

VF2 is still a legit game!

Oct 26, 2017
Dynasty Warriors actually was kind of neat for its time, and Bloody Roar deserves a lot more respect. But I didn't like how he mostly just yoloed through Bushido Blade. It has a really complex control setup and the whole open world thing, but he basically just button mashed his way to a bad ending.

It's worth pointing out that Toshinden and Tekken 1 were completely horrible though. It took the other 3D series until 1997-1998 before they even started catching up to Virtua Fighter.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

Virtua Fighter 1 was impressive in arcades, but VF2 was mind blowing. Super beautiful and smooth in 1994, only a year after SSF2 and MK2. Then Tekken 2 was great in 1995.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Watched Bushido Blade, it was painful. The guy just make stupid noises, lame humor and plays like shit. At least read the manual before trying these old games.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished with the Bloody Roar 2 vid. That was my shit back in the day. What a cool concept that played super well.

And we'll never see one ever again 😢

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Max's legacy streams/videos are probably my favorite things that he does, so I've been really enjoying this. It helps that PS1 was probably peak level nostalgia for me, so even the "bad" games are great to look back on.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Toshiden video is SO GOOD when Max realkise the game is fluid because of an emulation error xD

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

Mostly just people looking for something new. Fighting games were popular enough that the market was growing tired of them and wanted a bit of a change. VF led that change (and is still fine as a fighting game, even if it is basic). Tekken and Toshinden followed on up it and made sure they were prominent parts of the PlayStation launch. The hype for both died down pretty fast - Tekken has the core of a game that would get much better with Tekken 2, but that's about the most that can be said for either game.

3D was only part of it though. Remember that for a lot of those early PlayStation games, having movie sequences was almost as big a selling point. Tekken having ending movies was one of the less-remembered reasons for its (home) success.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
You may be taking things too seriously
Nah, I don't "care", it's just that I legit don't see the appeal. A legacy series where you don't even have the minimum amount of knowledge of the gameplay of a game is useless. Bushido Blade is super unique, with 2 min of research he could have shown the stance system, how the levels are interconnected, how you have a code of cconduct to respect, yadda yadda. Super unique game. But instead, he's just running pushing triangle for 20 min. What's the point?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Nah, I don't "care", it's just that I legit don't see the appeal. A legacy series where you don't even have the minimum amount of knowledge of the gameplay of a game is useless. Bushido Blade is super unique, with 2 min of research he could have shown the stance system, how the levels are interconnected, how you have a code of cconduct to respect, yadda yadda. Super unique game. But instead, he's just running pushing triangle for 20 min. What's the point?

Its just a video game

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Preferably it would be earnestly showcasing the best of each game. You're still taking it too seriously. If you don't like it then just... don't follow it?

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Loving this series. Max always brings the goods.

Lol @ the weirdo attacking Max of all people.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Preferably it would be earnestly showcasing the best of each game. You're still taking it too seriously. If you don't like it then just... don't follow it?
I don't take it seriously, I'm just giving my opinion. And I've already spent more time answering people who quote me with "it's just a game, don't follow the guy" than actually thinking about the video. But whatever.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The Dan Legacy prophesized Dan in SFV, so naturally the Playstation Legacy is going to prophesize PSASBR 2.

I refuse to accept otherwise. :U

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
watched a few of these already, lots of fun looking back at these old fighters

really hoping for a Guilty Gear legacy sometime next year

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Fighter 1 was impressive in arcades, but VF2 was mind blowing. Super beautiful and smooth in 1994, only a year after SSF2 and MK2. Then Tekken 2 was great in 1995.

I mean yes, at the time they were technically impressive, but I've honestly never felt like going back and playing Tekken 2 or Virtua Fighter 2.
But Street Fighter Alpha? I played that last week in the SF 30th anniversary collection for shits and giggles and had a blast.

3D was only part of it though. Remember that for a lot of those early PlayStation games, having movie sequences was almost as big a selling point. Tekken having ending movies was one of the less-remembered reasons for its (home) success.

True those attract screens for Tekken in the arcade were really good, I just never really felt the games lived up to them until Tekken 5...

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
You can't have a discussion of PS1 fighters without Tobal No. 1 and Tobal 2. Most technically ambitious fighter on the platform, using the rarely-used 480p mode at 60fps. Full 3D movement, sophisticated combat system, deep character roster, designs by Akira Toriyama, and a full dungeon crawling quest mode.

tobal2-h1.png

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I mean yes, at the time they were technically impressive, but I've honestly never felt like going back and playing Tekken 2 or Virtua Fighter 2.
But Street Fighter Alpha? I played that last week in the SF 30th anniversary collection for shits and giggles and had a blast.

It would be hard to go back to Tekken 2 instead of 3+ (I still would though) but Virtua Fighter 2 I'd play it in a heart beat. I'd take either over some big 1995 fighters like Mortal Kombat 3 or Sam Sho 3. They are totally solid playable games even now.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Big fan of the Warriors/Musou series but never played the original fighter. Was surprised to see how many of the moves I recognized particularly moves that popped up in DW2,3,4. I believe Zhao Yun's windmill attack is his Musou attack in DW2,3,4.