• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019

Max discusses Crossplay and how it is necessary for fighting games now more than ever.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sony gained a lot of marketshare from the FGC this gen, with SFV and other JP fighting games. While tons of people will play on PC, if you're serious you lab on PS4 since that's what tournaments use (excepting exclusives, of course).

Even if cross-play happens, I do wonder how the tournament question will pan out. PC is harder to organize, since you have to deal with drivers. So which console will be the standard?

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Whenever i read "crossplay" my mind doesn't inmediately go to having PS4 players against PC and Xbox players...

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crossplay and cross save are only inevitable at this point. The era of games being tied to specific hardware is almost over.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony gained a lot of marketshare from the FGC this gen, with SFV and other JP fighting games. While tons of people will play on PC, if you're serious you lab on PS4 since that's what tournaments use (excepting exclusives, of course).

Even if cross-play happens, I do wonder how the tournament question will pan out. PC is harder to organize, since you have to deal with drivers. So which console will be the standard?

If you're serious about cross play, don't play on PS4!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you're serious about cross play, don't play on PS4!

That's the thing, though. Even if cross-play becomes a thing, it won't change things at tournaments. One console will become the standard, because it's much easier that way. Even with the same fighting game, you'll have slight differenes in responsiveness depending on the platform. It's much more noticeable comparing console to PC, but I'm sure it's there between PS4 and Xbox too. Hell, there's probably enough difference to mind it between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I legitimately will hold this as a standard for any AAA dev going into next-gen. Like it anything it benefits them more than us, as it allows a games online presence to last longer. Thus resulting in more money into DLC. I can only imagine where SFV with no crossplay would be sitting at currently. Those extra player numbers help everyone.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
While tons of people will play on PC, if you're serious you lab on PS4 since that's what tournaments use (excepting exclusives, of course).
Considering that most Tekken pros (that stream) play on PC I wouldn't say that's true. The PC version is simply better, it doesn't matter if they're gonna play on a PS4 at a tournament.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Capcom, nWay, and Microsoft have figured out solutions to this already, I think if anybody would be able to do it next it would be Netherrealm in either their next project or MK11's wrap-up update

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Considering that most Tekken pros (that stream) play on PC I wouldn't say that's true. The PC version is simply better, it doesn't matter if they're gonna play on a PS4 at a tournament.

Yes, and? Plenty of people *do* avoid playing on PC because of that difference in responsiveness. I've heard the excuse plenty of times in the SoCal scene, in person, coming from real people.

It's most certainly a problem that the FGC faces.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and? Plenty of people *do* avoid playing on PC because of that difference in responsiveness. I've heard the excuse plenty of times in the SoCal scene, in person, coming from real people.

It's most certainly a problem that the FGC faces.
You said "If you're serious", they're serious, they compete. It's just personal preference, it doesn't matter.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom, nWay, and Microsoft have figured out solutions to this already, I think if anybody would be able to do it next it would be Netherrealm in either their next project or MK11's wrap-up update
As long as NRS keep outsourcing certain versions of their FGs and having them patched up to a week after the internally developed versions, I don't see them doing crossplay, unless they just cut those other versions out.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Cross play for fighting games (across all platforms, which means PS / XB / PC / NWS for a single game) will be a reality when the next generation of consoles drops.

Feb 15, 2019
Whoever has the marketing deal

Marketing usually doesn't even have that much to do with it. Pretty sure Xbox had the Dbfz marketing. Yet not a single, remotely big tournament to my knowledge was played on Xbox. Sony having console exclusivity to SFV which is still THE fighting game franchise made it the easy tournament standard. And even if they didn't lock SFV. Having a ton of the fighting games that are out there like KOF, GG and the like PS exclusive on the console side of things would probably still make it the go to for being the tournament standard.

If all games do become cross play. I'm sure it'll just end up being the cheapest one to buy. Unless Sony or Microsoft go out of their way to donate consoles to TOs

Edit: Though that pretty much completely goes out the window if either of the publishers secure a popular FG as an exclusive.

Last edited: