• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
From crowing roosters to the whiff of barnyard animals, the "sensory heritage" of France's countryside will now be protected by law from attempts to stifle the everyday aspects of rural life from newcomers looking for peace and quiet.

French senators on Thursday gave final approval to a law proposed in the wake of several high-profile conflicts by village residents and vacationers, or recent arrivals derided as "neo-rurals".

A rowdy rooster named Maurice, in particular, made headlines in 2019 after a court in western France rejected a bid to have him silenced by neighbours who had purchased a holiday home nearby.

"Living in the countryside implies accepting some nuisances," Joël Giraud, the government's minister in charge of rural life, told lawmakers.

Cow bells (and cow droppings), grasshopper chirps and noisy early-morning tractors are also now considered part of France's natural heritage that will be codified in its environmental legislation.

www.theguardian.com

France passes ‘sensory heritage’ law after plight of Maurice the noisy rooster

Senators approve law to protect the noises and smells of the countryside following high-profile cases

Do you agree with this law, Era?

Dec 4, 2017
Sounds like an anti-gentrification law.
I'm frankly all for keeping tossers and their creeping gentrification out of existing communities.

Oct 27, 2017
if someone tries to take the grasshoppers out, fight me
that one lone guy that gets in your house though? yeah you can have him

*turns grasshopper up on rain app equalizer*

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It wasn't a rooster, but you saw a similar incident here in the DC area where moneyed newcomers started complaining about a community drum circle that had been conducted at a nearby park for decades.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine purchasing a fucking holiday (read: optional) home in the countryside and getting upset that you have to hear a rooster. Rich assholes, I tell you.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As long as they don't try to artificially maintain them. Tractors should be all electric. Cows shouldn't have those stupid bells that make them deaf now that we have electronic devices to keep track of them. Industrial crops production should not be given a free pass to create shit smell miles across, etc.

The only thing that should be really protected is the sound and smell of nature, the rest is mainly human-made nuisances.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Needs more cow bell.

Magpies do genuinely annoy me but not enough to do anything about it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It interrupts their white noise.
Try living in the rural southern USA and having a RR line a half-mile from your house. Roosters are a blessing.
Heck, I live in the suburbs and for awhile my neighbor had a rooster. I enjoyed his presence, no matter the hour lol.