• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the movie definitely leans into Capitalism being the problem since it encourages such behavior. Believing people are inherently evil or greedy is 100% Capitalist propaganda.
Lol this is exactly my takeaway from that post too. Pretty sure he is implying that "people are inherently evil" is part of thesis of the film which is...not at all the case.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
thats up to interpretation.
one shoud point out that the parks did nothing wrong per se. they paid and handled their employees well. they just had a general sense of superiority towards others which was mr. parks downfall. its also not really clear where their wealth comes from this family (they are owning a tech company.. thats as far as we get to know) from so its hard to say that they are parasitic unless you have a plump stance saying capitalist are all parasites.
You're forgetting the part where everyone is a capitalist in the movie. You don't get to both live within a society and not have to participate in its structure.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of just a rundown of shitty things Trump did this week, without any particular thesis other than "This is fucked."

I suppose she could (but never directly does) argue that the administration parallels the film Parasite, in the sense that once one con artist weaseled his way into the house he proceed to aid other unqualified individuals into also leeching off the household. In the same way, Trump continues to appoint many unqualified people to government positions purely on the basis of loyalty while inventing reasons to kick out qualified individuals.
None of which suggests this isn't actually her take on the film though. You are saying she is using it as some form of ironic zinger and yet there is no acknowledgement that the interpretation is false.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is exactly my takeaway from that post too. Pretty sure he is implying that "people are inherently evil" is part of thesis of the film which is...not at all the case.
It's not saying "all people are evil", but the main characters are presented sympathetically in order to partially undercut that with their behavior later on.
Because they do absolutely monstrous things over the course of the movie, far worse than anything the rich family does.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ecp2hhwc7k741.png

I mean, he's pretty explicit that it's about Capitalism being bad.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not saying "all people are evil", but the main characters are presented sympathetically in order to partially undercut that with their behavior later on.
Because they do absolutely monstrous things over the course of the movie, far worse than anything the rich family does.
Right but that behavior is directly tied to and motivated by elements of the class critique. You can't separate them.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Copying my post from poli over-

It's what you get if you remove the class inequality half of the film. Like a big part of the film's structure (SPOILERZ)

Is showing that the main characters are assholes who would still be assholes with or without power or money. It's what makes the movie far better than just a "class is the problem" film with a message straight out of Mr Robot S1 because it's acknowledging that people are the underlying problem that drives the class divide. Buuut if you ignore that class half of the movie you're gonna get a movie about con artists making a mess out of things.
There's one glaring problem with this take though I realize it's maybe for better or worse the more subtle point the movie makes that's also core to the events.

Everyone in the movie is shown to be a parasite in one way or another, but the character that's shown to be the worst of them all is the rich father. He seems pleasant and nice enough at first and most of the movie only subtlety shows his problems, but what leads to the poor father killing him at the end was a lot of small things the movie shows through its course. The dad doesn't care about anyone but himself, everyone else in the movie cares about others to some extent, but the rich father and money earner thinks everyone is beneath him and doesn't even treat them like human. He constantly lies or makes things all about him (telling the dude it's not a driving test and to relax when it 100% is a test to prove his worth to him, talking about "stepping over the line" and how his smell "steps over the line", wanting to fire the driver while not having any skin off his teeth to make a big deal about it and later roleplaying the power play situation from that in a sexual manner), and whenever the poor dad makes humanizing or comparison points to him or his feelings about loving his wife, the rich dad deflects and near the end makes it clear that he is paying him and he will do as he says as part of his job, he is beneath him, they are not friends or equals, he just tolerates him for images and convenience and he'll do whatever he is told to do and to not try to get close to him. He cements this with multiple times implying he doesn't love his wife or kids, even him taking time away from himself for his son's birthday is a noteworthy thing and others can spare to do it if he can (as their time is not as important as his), he has a fetish for those he ridicules and role-playing fucking those "beneath him", and thinks the suffering of others like Indians are just tools for him, not relating the suffering of those people at all or how this might be offensive to others, because he doesn't care.

This is the furthest cemented when all the chaos goes down and the son faints, the rich dad completely ignores the girl that works in his house dying literally on his lawn and doesn't even attempt to save her or take her with him to the hospital, and pushes aside the man who knows him dying also on his lawn for the keys not phased by him dying at all and is just disgusted by his smell, which he earlier describes as the "smell of the poor" that disgusts him. The fact the man in front of him is dying or even killed and hurt others right in front of him doesn't matter to him, or the girl who works for him is dying doesn't bother him in the slightest, he just cares about himself at the end of the day and won't do a single thing to help or care about anyone else's problems, even those suffering right in front of him. Out of people literally bleeding out in front of him, the only thing that really bothers him is the smell which offends his sensibilities. Which is why the poor dad kills him at the end when he see's this moment, he realizes the rich dad is the foulest parasite of all, the one who cares about no one but themselves and feeds off others suffering and commitment to him just for his own pleasure and benefit. He uses others for his wealth and only gives what he can take back, but will cut off anything and anyone as he really doesn't care about anyone but himself.

But the movie is made to try and show the parasite angle from nearly every character in the film, just I took the end stuff to show who was basically the worst character in the film.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
absolutely, how do you explain thousands of years of communal living before that? lmao. Lots of people in this thread gonna be looking like Dowd. Even saying they are con artists is a bad take when they themselves had to do what they did to even survive.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're forgetting the part where everyone is a capitalist in the movie. You don't get to both live within a society and not have to participate in its structure.
yes both the ghost man in the basement and the father guy are failed enterpreneurs
Well in order for them to obtain that wealth from owning a tech company, they have to extract the surplus labor from their employees, even if they're paid "well". It's kind of parasitic in itself.
i dont know if i would say that is parasitic or rather symbiotic.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are saying she is using it as some form of ironic zinger and yet there is no acknowledgement that the interpretation is false.
Generally comedy does not work very well if you backpedal to acknowledge that the supposition behind your joke is false, mis-stated or exaggerated.

I can't prove how she sincerely feels about Parasite. Shit, I'd say it's a 50/50 chance if she's actually seen the movie or just read about it. I don't think it's hard to determine that her opener is a joke though -- while I wouldn't say it's totally hack-y, the premise and form of it is pretty widely employed by others.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The stone that was supposed to give the family success and upward mobility was hollow and fake as it floated during the flood, do you guys not see this symbolism?

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I don't understand how you could possibly think that's my takeaway. Their actions are the issue, not their motivations.
The poor family does what they do because they need to survive, they spend the opening scene in a poisonous gas cloud. They're as competent, if not more so than any of the "experienced" staff with no actual credentials to back it up. Every action of theirs is to benefit their lot because they've recieved so little. The rich family is only nice because they can afford to be, it's blatantly said so in the movie.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how you could possibly think that's my takeaway. Their actions are the issue, not their motivations.
No shit but their actions are brought about by those motivations (and the circumstances which deny them even the basics of life). The fact that you even suggested that "the poor family behaves more monstrously than the rich family" makes it clear you didn't understand the film.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Their actions are dictated by they society they live in, they are merely trying to survive and are doing those things in the name of self-preservation.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
It's crazy how many of you treat that sentence as a sentiment of its there's rather than using it as a one line zinger that matches at the surface level.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They established early in the movie that they had no method of upward mobility. Their actions were necessary to raise them out of the lowest class tier. In order to do that, they had to leach off of the rich by hustling and tricking them. That itself is symbolic to being dirt poor in a capitalist system. If you want to get "rich" you have to get lucky, fake it till you make it, and back stab people in your same class.

Their actions are horrendous because they are necessary in order to succeed in a broken system.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their actions are dictated by they society they live in, they are merely trying to survive and are doing those things in the name of self-preservation.
They go far beyond self-preservation. The plot turn at the midpoint takes place in circumstances that happen as a direct result of going far past that line.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They go far beyond self-preservation. The plot turn at the midpoint takes place in circumstances that happen as a direct result of going far past that line.
Not necessarily when the structure they live within tells them that infinite growth is good and worth pursuing. Even then, saying they should be content with living in a basement is a weird take.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you should read this post:

I don't believe his intent was to explicitly frame anyone as anything, so much as lay bare the social tapestry of modern society as experienced by both invalids and the elite. The juxtaposition and framing of scenes are important. For example in the lead up to the climax of the film, we see how the rain merely inconvenienced the elite family and literally ruined the invalids entire material existence. This is an attempt to show the audience the wide variety of experiences one particular event can have, based on where the individual is "observing it from", so to speak.

No one came out looking good, Jessica, as told by the elite mother during a phone call, was to serve a vital part of her son's birthday party, yet moments after Jessica was attacked during the birthday party, while she lay before everyone, blood still pouring out of her chest, the elite parents instantaneously abandoned her and disregarded her well being, just as the elites so often disregard the invalids of society, and instead only noticed and showed concern for their own son, who ironically was not even in any real danger of death, so not shockingly, this vast indifference towards her daughter, by the elites, caused Jessica's father to finally at last lose control of his temperament and murder the other father. He never flipped out or lost his cool with regards to the various "smell comments" or other insults, throughout the film, it wasn't until his own daughter was so callously thrown by the wayside, that finally triggered and ultimately unleashed his mounting inner resentment towards the elites, culminating in murder.

There was definitely no effort to garner sympathy towards this particular act of vengeance. I think its admirable and also necessary not to fetishize poverty and those who are poor. It is paramount not to reduce victims of systemic inequality into mere token ideals of "good" simply by virtue of their immense suffering, as suffering does not build character as so many philosophers believe, nor does it automatically make one a better person. Its important to remind ourselves, that as we and our society, strive towards justice, that not only the just deserve justice.
Its been such a common and disingenuous argument against minority right's historically and you hear still to this day, the idea that one does not deserve justice and that they are not ready for equality, because they are not yet able to follow or understand its ideals and thus unable to withstand the ultimate burden of freedom. In fact, there are no "prerequisites" for philosophic values, these prerequisites are always just impositions, rationalized as an excuse to deprive others of natural rights, given under the veneer of sincerity. There are countless variations of arguments of that nature. You see it now mostly aimed towards the poor, which un-ironically also happen to be at a disproportionate rate, minorities. If you give the poor something, this something being material subsistence, which they did not "earn", than you will stifle their ability to ever be financially independent and thus always keep them dependent upon societies continued help, or in other words, a Parasite...

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean two poor families trying to secure their path to wealth by stabbing each other in the back?

It's a metaphor.

Oct 25, 2017
On first read this did fire off a blip in my shown-ass radar, but after I reflected on it a bit I figured she just thought the dig was too juicy not to sacrifice nuance for. That said, not familiar with her generally, so it might sit in a larger pattern of commentary I'm not aware of.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She isn't wrong, she just left out all the nuance, understandably so given the brevity of tweets.

I see it as the Kim family are parasites on the Park family and the Park family are parasites on society.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean two poor families trying to secure their path to wealth by stabbing each other in the back?

It's a metaphor.
No, and I would not describe the situation that way between them.
I'm talking about the party they throw for themselves. It's completely unnecessary and goes far beyond "just making a living" and is what puts them in a position to be exposed to the (rightfully angry) ex-housekeeper and her husband. Who are the most sympathetic characters in the movie by a mile and who don't backstab anyone.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whether or not her interpretation of the film was correct seems to be a staggeringly inconsequential thing to discuss at such length, but I read through all of it so I'm not sure I should be one to talk.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Dowd doesn't think that, Trump does.

Edit: Or maybe she does? I kinda get the sentiment but the wording is telling.

Both are bougie idiots that don't get that the movie is about them. It's worse for Dowd though. She clearly actually watched it and it went entirely above her head.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Parasite, at its core, is about how class division under capitalism makes us disaffected and disconnected from others, whether it's working class people trying to screw each other over to get ahead, or wealthy people having contempt for those below them. I think you have to work really hard to arrive to the conclusion that it's about this specific family being con artists and not the shitty circumstances billions of people around the world live in similar to this family. It's not about the virtuous working class proletariat overthrowing the evil, mustache-twirling, labor-exploiting bourgeoisie or shifty scam artists tricking the naive idle rich.

It's super obvious too. Year 1 film school shit.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's what you get if you remove the class inequality half of the film. Like a big part of the film's structure (SPOILERZ)

Is showing that the main characters are assholes who would still be assholes with or without power or money. It's what makes the movie far better than just a "class is the problem" film with a message straight out of Mr Robot S1 because it's acknowledging that people are the underlying problem that drives the class divide. Buuut if you ignore that class half of the movie you're gonna get a movie about con artists making a mess out of things.
That is not the movie is about. It's a metaphor for the systemic class problem in South Korea

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It says a lot about the people whose only takeaway is that. Incredible.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about the party they throw for themselves. It's completely unnecessary and goes far beyond "just making a living" and is what puts them in a position to be exposed to the (rightfully angry) ex-housekeeper and her husband. Who are the most sympathetic characters in the movie by a mile and who don't backstab anyone.

They can have a little luxury, as a treat. The former housekeeper was leaching off the rich family too with her husband (ironically, she wouldn't have had to do that if they payed her enough to afford a home). She also escalated the situation by threatening to narc on the poor family out of her desperation to get her job back.

It's not really about who's the most sympathetic though, it's about the lengths people at the bottom will go to live comfortably in a broken system

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The poor family does what they do because they need to survive, they spend the opening scene in a poisonous gas cloud. They're as competent, if not more so than any of the "experienced" staff with no actual credentials to back it up. Every action of theirs is to benefit their lot because they've recieved so little. The rich family is only nice because they can afford to be, it's blatantly said so in the movie.

It was even said specifically during the truly despicable party scene, while the rich family was camping, but I guess he was so taken back by the audacity of the poors he missed that lol

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

*Sympathetic* I guess but they show a similar attitude towards the rich of being subservient as long as they get the scrapes, even the poor husband essentially worshipping the rich man much like how people think the ultra rich are generous because they *donate* a slim percentage of their worth or give them a shitty job, to keep the masses happy and to never rise up for any sort of true equality because it could damage what little they have, they are not *better* people they are simply subservient, as they blindly put it they are nicer because they are rich, being richer than your poor neighbour is still *richer* Yet we live in a society that tells us if you work hard you will get somewhere and to do so requires you to fuck over and crawl ontop of the corpses of your fellow man, that anyone can become rich, the family is only a byproduct and attitude of the fucking horrible equality the world has put on them.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not the movie is about. It's a metaphor for the systemic class problem in South Korea
See second sentence.
They can have a little luxury, as a treat. The former housekeeper was leaching off the rich family too with her husband (ironically, she wouldn't have had to do that if they payed her enough to afford a home). She also escalated the situation by threatening to narc on the poor family out of her desperation to get her job back.

It's not really about who's the most sympathetic though, it's about the lengths people at the bottom will go to live comfortably in a broken system
She couldn't keep her husband in her home. That was the entire reason he was in the basement in that insane situation, because he was wanted by loan sharks and they feared for his life. It's also not "narcing" when you discover someone got you fired and replaced with their mom.

That those two families specifically have very different philosophical approaches (live and let live vs take all you can get) is critical to the film imo.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The only con of Parasite is that the poor family thinks they're getting one over on the rich family, but they're actually performing all the labour they are supposed to and not realising it. They are actually being exploited.

Like Snowpiercer the villain isn't the individuals it's the superstructure.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only con of Parasite is that the poor family thinks they're getting one over on the rich family, but they're actually performing all the labour they are supposed to and not realising it. They are actually being exploited.

Damn dude this is deep and right

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See second sentence.

She couldn't keep her husband in her home. That was the entire reason he was in the basement in that insane situation, because he was wanted by loan sharks and they feared for his life. It's also not "narcing" when you discover someone got you fired and replaced with their mom.

That those two families specifically have very different philosophical approaches (live and let live vs take all you can get) is critical to the film imo.

That's completely missing the point of the those two families interactions. The exploited house servant was seen as an obstacle to the poor family's rise through the class system. It's about how the class system pits the poor against each other to obtain a modicum of comfort while the rich give them table scraps for their labor.

That's a really good take. I didn't think about it that way.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Parasite, at its core, is about how class division under capitalism makes us disaffected and disconnected from others, whether it's working class people trying to screw each other over to get ahead, or wealthy people having contempt for those below them. I think you have to work really hard to arrive to the conclusion that it's about this specific family being con artists and not the shitty circumstances billions of people around the world live in similar to this family. It's not about the virtuous working class proletariat overthrowing the evil, mustache-twirling, labor-exploiting bourgeoisie or shifty scam artists tricking the naive idle rich.

It's super obvious too. Year 1 film school shit.

I'd guess Dowd thinks the movie is a straight up morality tale; the bad family has bad morals and values and thus, they reap what they sow.

There's no other way to map a shallow allegory for Parasite onto the behaviour she goes onto describe from Trump in the rest of the article.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See second sentence.

I'm impressed at how you constantly manage to be wrong all the time.

Bravo dude.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

???
This Is a take worse than "gun don't kill people, people do"

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Still running on my first cup of coffee. What do you mean with "performing all the labor they are supposed to"?