• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the whole video. Excellent work from Matt as usual. I fundamentally disagree on his read about the ending and most things about the plot, but that's okay.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Will watch when I get to work tonight. I loved the game but have been seeking other opinions since I finished and really respect Matthewmatosis, so I'm looking forward to finding out how we compare/contrast on the game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Had to skip ahead but it seems to fall into the whole "Ellie should've killed Abby" thing that I just don't agree with.

Yikes. I hate saying that someone probably "missed the point," but this is one context where I feel it applies. The theme of the story is diminished so much if Ellie killed Abby.

Like I can 100% understand if Abby didn't work for people, but feeling the ending should go another way kind of surprises me.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Okay. I'll watch the rest and give my full take on it

I think this one deserves a chance and I'm saying that as someone who loves the game. I didn't agree with all of it myself and I know there's a lot of nonsense out there with this game's discourse, but I think this one is actually worth your time and if Naughty Dog were to only listen to one of these critical video essays, this is the one.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
After having watched the full video you can tell how many people jumping in here admitting they skimmed it and saying "he didn't get that it's not a game about nihilism" or "Ellie should've killed Abby" didn't actually watch the video.

"I skipped to the end, it doesn't align with my view on the game, they must not have understood its themes".
He is thorough and gives his opinions in detail. He is good at conveying his viewpoint.

its just he has some really weird ones .....
saying "flashbacks are bad design"
saying Ellie killed all kinds of people and didn't know if some people were mothers or fathers "why would she let abby go?"......

People can give their opinions right?
we can review a reviewer

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It's like watching the dark knight and saying "hurr why doesn't Batman kill Joker he killed his lover". it's about the morality of the character, his ability to stop himself from being "the monster" at the end.

I agree. Even tho Ellie killed dozens before she got to Abby in the end, there's context to it. I think Ellie's reasons for hunting Abby in beginning are entirely different for her reasons in the end. It isn't so much about duty, purpose, or loyalty to Joel at the end. Its more about peace and her finding some sort of bandage to her mental and emotional wounds.

Her sparing Abby to save her humanity is the most anti nihilistic thing she could do. Hell the whole purpose of the game is about empathy and breaking cycles of vengeance. Not really nihilism is the slightest

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
There's a particular moment which I disagree with for which he describes as contrived " The lights, open windows, etc" which in the scenario of apocalyptic world shouldn't really happen, but it's been established throughout the game that Ellie herself is completely out of her depth. She's been sheltered most of her life by someone or Jackson, particularly Joel in more recent times who unlike say Joel went through some extreme times so knows what to or not (It's a reason why Jessie get's angry early game as well because Ellie and Dina do something stupid on patrol). For this reason, isn't completely surprising. Throughout the game, she tries to mimic Joel in particular what he thought he'd do but her inexperience is why she completely botches something in a pivotal moment so something basic as lights, open windows after a traumatic event as well along with a whole lot of other things makes it easy to to believe it. It's part of why he likely has a huge issue with the game because Ellie is not meant to be Joel, there's meant to be inconsistencies between the first and second for which why Joel can do what he can while Ellie might not. Ellie hasn't really thought through the consequences of her actions early game but slowly coming to the realization. The pivotal moment is also illustration because it's clear why these experiences have a greater affect to Ellie's personal Journey that to Joel. It's also a massive thing as to the ending game that all these things mount up for which she was never meant to follow Joel's path as well and why people are bothered by some not understanding why Ellie was never meant to kill Abby. All of this is kind of basic stuff, made clear by the fact that Ellie and Joel aren't even the same people even if they shared similar experiences for a while.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He is thorough and gives his opinions in detail. He is good at conveying his viewpoint.

saying Ellie killed all kinds of people and didn't know if some people were mothers or fathers "why would she let abby go?"......

we can review a reviewer
If you disagree with his view point after having watched the full video and how he motivates his feelings about it, then that's fine, my post doesn't apply to you.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

we can review a reviewer
It's called disagreeing. And yes that's fine but what's embarassing is the instant jerk reaction of a couple people here of skipping ahead instead of actually listening to the thing and thinking through the perspective he lays down. That just seems extremely dumb. If you have no interest in the video that's fine too! But then no need to give your shitty no substance take on it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished. He definitely didn't appreciate and enjoy the game and story on the same level I did. Oh well

Still GOTG pretty easily as far as I'm concerned.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yea it really is. I guess this story is such a jump up from any standard game story they just aren't used to it or something.

YGBbUXt.jpeg

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I think Matt seems to fundamentally misread is the reasoning why Ellie leaves the guitar behind. His read on Ellie sparing Abby and their duel at the theatre feel off to me as well. Those were my biggest disagreements.

I agree that the plot has way too many contrivances that feel forced. Ellie forgetting the map being the worst one.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a particular moment which I disagree with for which he describes as contrived " The lights, open windows, etc" which in the scenario of apocalyptic world shouldn't really happen, but it's been established throughout the game that Ellie herself is completely out of her depth. She's been sheltered most of her life by someone or Jackson, particularly Joel in more recent times who unlike say Joel went through some extreme times so knows what to or not (It's a reason why Jessie get's angry early game as well because Ellie and Dina do something stupid on patrol). For this reason, isn't completely surprising. Throughout the game, she tries to mimic Joel in particular what he thought he'd do but her inexperience is why she completely botches something in a pivotal moment so something basic as lights, open windows after a traumatic event as well along with a whole lot of other things makes it easy to to believe it. It's part of why he likely has a huge issue with the game because Ellie is not meant to be Joel, there's meant to be inconsistencies between the first and second for which why Joel can do what he can while Ellie might not. Ellie hasn't really thought through the consequences of her actions early game but slowly coming to the realization. The pivotal moment is also illustration because it's clear why these experiences have a greater affect to Ellie's personal Journey that to Joel. It's also a massive thing as to the ending game that all these things mount up for which she was never meant to follow Joel's path as well and why people are bothered by some not understanding why Ellie was never meant to kill Abby. All of this is kind of basic stuff, made clear by the fact that Ellie and Joel aren't even the same people even if they shared similar experiences for a while.
I think part of the problem here is that while in cut scenes Ellie isn't Joel, she absolutely is as much of a killer when we're playing her, ruthlessly slitting the throats of hundreds of people without breaking a sweat.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Skipped to the end and heard him say, "despite all the nihilistic shit in the game".

"Despite all the nihilistic shit that goes on along the way, there's a nice message here about how helping people leads to happiness in a way that revenge doesn't. Even if you don't believe the world works this way it's good to see stories that encourage us to transcend the emotions which sometimes hold us back."

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with his take on the ending but his points holds solid, I wouldn't argue against it. It's going to depend on what kind of read on the story you have and my perception was different.

Excellent work as always from the best critic in games.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Classic era. Boohoo person talks my fav game bad *fingers in ears* lalalalala I cannot listen to anything.
No that's not it at all, lol.
I've seen plenty of reviews by people who are simply too emotionally invested in fictional characters (compared to myself). After a lot of reviews i'm kind of done with that. Shame he is so late with it.

it sounds more like you are the person you are describing here.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Great video, as usual. Anyone who knows Matt's channel knows how critical he can be of games he doesn't like (see: God of War 2018); how he complimented the TLOU 2 is no faint praise.

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on the narrative of the game, and the technology that drives it, it's nice to see a review that goes in depth into the gameplay and why it is so good. It often gets lost in the shuffle and it's in my opinion (as a 'gameplay first' kinda guy) one of the strongest part of the game that is sadly overlooked

What were his thoughts on the gameplay?

Other than some minor complains about lack of player agency and gameplay emergence due to how heavily scripted the game can be, he really liked it and praised several aspects of it, and considers it to be vastly superior to the original.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still crazy how many people don't understand why Ellie didn't kill Abby at the end. I feel like you have to had miss 99% of the plot to not get it.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Gotta say that wasn't one of his best Reviews imo. He is way too hung up about the Flashbacks and seems not to be able to take them for what they are. They are used as a tool to question the Players believes but also to present the similarties between Abby and Ellie. The Zebra Scene for example was a juxtaposition with the Giraffe from the first Game and he kinda just skipped over that.
His Reasoning that you don't care about what is happening in the Flashbacks because you know that Joel is already dead is soo bizarre man. The Review was also weirdly structured because for the most part it was this clear distinction between Gameplay and Story, which is something he doesn't normally do at all. His God of War Analysis was a good Example for that.
Also his Take on the Ending was something...

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird that big youtube "critique" channels who otherwise understood stories in other video games seem incapable of understanding the themes of messages of TLOU2.

Why would Ellie killing Abby violate the themes of TLOU2? Ellie is a psychopath who has no redeeming qualities. Her killing Abby, going back home and still feeling like shit, and then shooting herself probably fits better with the character and world.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to have to give this a watch later. I am interested to hear what he has to say on TLOU2.

Every TLoU fanboy is skipping to the end to see if the reviewer is lavishing praise, then responding with the person doesn't understand the story etc, when it's not a 10/10, the usual.

Considering how you conducted yourself in a number of TLOU2 discussions, I am not sure you are on firm enough footing to call people out on bad faith arguments...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, can't believe The Last of Us Part II is actually Guardians of the Galaxy

Way ahead of ya ;)

I got it, Naughty Dogs next game will be sci-fi based. It'll sorta be a Guardians of the Galaxy type of situation where a crew of aliens shows up on Earth, they're taking a look around and eventually stumble across Ellie! They team up and Ellie goes with them to live out her dream of going to space and experiencing new adventures. It'll be called The Last of Us: In Space.

Do it Druckmann! 😃

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
It's like watching the dark knight and saying "hurr why doesn't Batman kill Joker he killed his lover". it's about the morality of the character, his ability to stop himself from being "the monster" at the end.

Alternatively it might be like watching The Dark Knight and thinking "So wait this billionaire that goes around beating poor people likely putting them in hospital for months, that goes around creating quite significant amounts of destruction everywhere he goes, that takes the law into its own hand, that is willing to use a system that spies on everyone, and that has just spent a good chunk of his time going after a mentally unstable person, draws the line at not killing said mentally unstable person?".

Not that Ellie has ofc any connection with some insane person that goes around creating massive amounts of violence and leaving destruction in its wake only to then come to the end and leave the person that they were really after "alone", after all unlike Ellie, at least batman technically didn't kill anyone.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Great video, as usual.

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on the narrative of the game, and the technology that drives it, it's nice to see a review that goes in depth into the gameplay and why it is so good. It often gets lost in the shuffle and it's in my opinion (as a 'gameplay first' kinda guy) one of the strongest part of the game that is sadly overlooked

Other than some minor complains about lack of player agency and gameplay emergence due to how heavily scripted the game can be, he really liked it and praised several aspects of it, and considers it to be vastly superior to the original.
Great to hear in that regard. I find the combat encounter design to be excellent.

Sad to hear he disagrees with me about the story though. I truly thought the game managed to top the first in regards to narrative.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a negative review. There are many elements he praises, but his big problem was that major story beats didn't work for him. They did for me, and as such I'm holding the game in higher regard than he does. But I enjoyed watching this as much as the more postive takes from the likes of Girlfriend Reviews, Just Write and Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Every TLoU fanboy is skipping to the end to see if the reviewer is lavishing praise, then responding with the person doesn't understand the story etc, when it's not a 10/10, the usual.

or the opposite with people who didnt like the game skipping to the end of reviews hoping reviewers are on their side

i didnt love the game and stopped engaging with the content/reviews a while ago, but im surprised literally nothing has changed in the weeks since. also surprised reviews are still being posted right now where it just feels late to me, would make more sense a few months down the line when feelings have settled and maybe they've revisited the first game over and really mulled over the two

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
No that's not it at all, lol.
I've seen plenty of reviews by people who are simply too emotionally invested in fictional characters (compared to myself). After a lot of reviews i'm kind of done with that. Shame he is so late with it.

it sounds more like you are the person you are describing here.
My dude this thread has people openly saying they didn't watch the video in full but still had to share how bad the take in the video was and then additionally there is people that didn't watch the video at all and took those comments at face value to also agree how bad the take in the video was. And yes I'm making fun of that cause it deserves to be made fun of given how toxic it makes review threads with people doing the same with written reviews and scores. It's 100% people butthurt that someone dares to have a negative/opposite view on a piece of fiction.

I'm arguing for people to either not watch the video cause they actually have no interest and thus will have nothing of value to contribute or watch the video in full then disagree. What are you arguing for sir?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird that big youtube "critique" channels who otherwise understood stories in other video games seem incapable of understanding the themes of messages of TLOU2.
i have not played the game yet so i can't say anything about it specifically, but can people not find different themes and messages in games than others do, including ones not intended by the designers? otherwise criticism itself would be rather pointless.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not even a negative review. There are many elements he praises, but his big problem was that major story beats didn't work for him. They did for me, and as such I'm holding the game in higher regard than he does. But I enjoyed watching this as much as the more postive takes from the likes of Girlfriend Reviews, Just Write and Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

Pretty much where I'm at.

I know some fans of the game here are vary of video essays of this game, I totally get that. There's so much garbage out there that's poisoned discourse for this game. But this is an incredibly fair review that respects the developers and their intentions, even if he doesn't agree with all of it. And its also short and not some three-hour barely edited "video essay" that has become the bread and butter of videogame analysis on youtube.

And honestly its a lot more positive than I expected considering how critical Matt can be. If you want to see how critical he can be, the God of War one was actually brutal.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Jokes aside, a Guardians of the Galaxy type of game from Naughty Dog would be kind of awesome, wouldn't it?

Either that or Cowboy Bebop, these are the only types of sci-fi I'm willing to accept from them, a Mass Effect style space opera would be such a waste.

It would certainly be interesting. Whatever the Naughty Gods work on next, I'm 100% on board. Well, that would be the TLOU2 multiplayer, but the thing after that too! :)

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Wether you agree or disagree with his take on the game and the story (I personally agree with some of it and disagree with some of it), immediately dismissing one of Matthew's videos, when he's one of the few Youtubers that constantly delivers incredibly well put together Essays/Analysis/Reviews, is...really fucking weird, in my opinion.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Disagree with his take on the story and the player's involvement in it and the take on the ending but fair review overall. Matthewmatosis is always a good watch.

Love the game but some of yall need to quit being so dismissive, there are an endless amount of shitty, gamergate reviews where that energy is better spent.

This isn't even a negative review lol

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
You should watch the video even if you disagree.
Well, actually i don't have to do anything.
But i might give it a try tomorrow. Go to sleep now 🥴

In fact: i'll watch it tomorrow. Promise.

Certainly agree with this.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Matthewmatosis: around 10 mins of complex thoughts on why Ellie not killing Abbey didn't ring true for him personally.

Posters who haven't watched any of said minutes: Obviously he didn't understand the game.