• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
latest

As long as they bring back Butch, I'm in! 🤣

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Having a black actor portray Jim Gordon would have an interesting perspective, if the writing is of good quality. The show could nail this perspective, or have it as window dressing for underutilized plotlines.
Only if it's played by that guy who played cotton mouth on Luke cage. I think he would make a good Jim Gordon. I don't know his name though.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Oh... wow. The dutch angles, the unnecessary gratuitous violence, the shit editing on the explosion reaction... There's a lot going on here.

Gotham was a 'serious' show right, pretty much played straight? Everything I've seen posted around Era makes it look batshit.

The show is legit amazing when it leans hard into camp. The final season was seriously good tv.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
lol this thread. I really need to watch Gotham. Should I start at season one or does the crazy start in later seasons?

Season 1 starts out as your typical cop show just set in Gotham but becomes more Batman-esque as more villains are introduced. It really starts to go all out in Season 2 but I would recommend Season 1. Oswald Cobblepot is one of the central characters and his backstory makes up a big chunk of Season 1.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Season 1 starts out as your typical cop show just set in Gotham but becomes more Batman-esque as more villains are introduced. It really starts to go all out in Season 2 but I would recommend Season 1. Oswald Cobblepot is one of the central characters and his backstory makes up a big chunk of Season 1.

OK thanks, I'll do that. looking at the episode list on IMDB, I do now recall actually watching at least a few episodes back in the day because I remember Jada Pinkett Smith. I'll add it to my queue.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Having Renee Montoya, who is Afro-Latina, and her partner Crispus Allen, who is African American, as the main characters would be ideal.

From what I remember, the original Gotham Central doesn't go too much into the racism inherent in the United States police force, but the building blocks are there. Without giving it too much away, the narrative from the comic can work very well as the story of two black cops who become disillusioned with the police force and realize they cannot change the system within.

Would also love Josephine MacDonald as part of the main cast. They don't show enough non-superheroes using super powers in everyday jobs.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Gotham but this could be the show I initially wanted(for better or worse).

I enjoyed Boardwalk Empire more than a lot of people(though I'm not sure I could still tolerate some of the stuff I did from that show nowadays).

Last edited:

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Kate Kane better be in the show as well then, especially now that she's being written out of the CW Batwoman show. And since this is in the same universe as The Batman, hopefully they'll get a good actor this time around, so she can appear in the inevitable sequel. Because no point in having her interact with a Batman played by Robert Pattinson, if they get a Ruby Rose-tier actor to to portray her.
I'd love for Kate to be in it! Even just as a guest character as Renee's (and then later Maggie's) girlfriend.

Speaking of Maggie, it reminds me of one of my favorite scenes in Gotham Central highlighting intersectionality where Renee confronts Maggie about her white privilege.

Thanks for sharing. I definitely plan on giving this a go. Never tried making a costume before but a mask seems like a relatively simple way to start.
Glad to be of help! It's pretty easy, all things considered since the rest of the costume is stuff you can buy anywhere. Even if people don't know who you are, it works as a great, creepy Halloween costume.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so confused

It feels like The Batman won't be part of the DC cinematic universe after all.

Oct 26, 2017
Very bittersweet.
A live-action Batman series that actually has Batman in it would be great, but the focus on the GCPD is not what I'm looking for. Especially with recent events.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Having Renee Montoya, who is Afro-Latina, and her partner Crispus Allen, who is African American, as the main characters would be ideal.

From what I remember, the original Gotham Central doesn't go too much into the racism inherent in the United States police force, but the building blocks are there. Without giving it too much away, the narrative from the comic can work very well as the story of two black cops who become disillusioned with the police force and realize they cannot change the system within.

Would also love Josephine MacDonald as part of the main cast. They don't show enough non-superheroes using super powers in everyday jobs.

Did you ever read the comic series 52? Montoya was so amazing in that, my favorite character alongside Black Adam in that. If they can include that vision of Renee I would be very happy. Especially if she

becomes The Question, as she did in the comics

I actually wrote Giant Bomb's article on Black Adam back when I was young and thought I was old. God, just looking at my profile from then, I was insufferable. It's embarrassing.

Last edited:

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Boardwalk is one of the best drama series of the last decade

Winter is the craziest get for comic book tv. A project like this would normally go to somebody who worked on a few episodes of a marvel netflix show or some shit
I'd have to strongly disagree. Not in a period where Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Rectify, The Lefovers, Succession, Halt and Catch Fire, Better call Saul, Fargo, Hannibal, The Americans, Mr Robot and Treme all existed. And I could probably go on if we could go into one off miniseries, comedy-drama, or overseas. It was fine, had some great moments, but never really lived up to its expectations or potential.

It was, to me, a show that's often poor plotting, uneven story, and often just bad character development was elevated by an incredible cast and incredible production values. It held back what should have been a Sopranos tier show and most of what I see as flawed were due to Winter's role as overall story architect and show runner.

Especially as he basically rushed the series that underperformed to HBO's expectations in order to start another bomb of a series in Vinyl(where he got pushed out for how bad it was, something unprecedented in this HBO era where basically everything they commit to gets two seasons). Pretty surprised he would get a third chance with the Batman franchise of all things. Talk about failing up.

Last edited:

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I expect both Wright and Turturro to show up in some capacity given they've both been on HBO shows.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Jeffrey Wright as Black Gordon in Terence Winter's Gotham's The Shield is probably about the only good sell for a cop show right now but I think they just did it

Pau

Oct 25, 2017
Did you ever read the comic series 52? Montoya was so amazing in that, my favorite character alongside Black Adam in that. If they can include that vision of Renee I would be very happy. Especially if she

becomes The Question, as she did in the comics

I actually wrote Giant Bomb's article on Black Adam back when I was young and thought I was old. God, just looking at my profile from then, I was insufferable. It's embarrassing.
Yes, I mention that arc in one of my earlier posts in the thread. I would love seeing that version of Renee so much!

And don't be too hard on yourself. We were all young once! :)

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell does the OP not mention this is from Terence Winter?

That's honestly the biggest part of this story.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Eh. Given the state of the DC films, I'm not big on them already planning a television spin-off for an upcoming movie. Focus on the movie then see what happens.

And that's ignoring that it's not the best time for a police procedural and the fact that Gotham just happened.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'll be the millionth person pointing out that just doing a straight adaptation of Gotham Central would be amazing and I'm utterly baffled why no one has just done it. It's literally right there, you'd barely have to change the comic scripts.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh... wow. The dutch angles, the unnecessary gratuitous violence, the shit editing on the explosion reaction... There's a lot going on here.

Gotham was a 'serious' show right, pretty much played straight? Everything I've seen posted around Era makes it look batshit.
Its kinda serious and played mostly straight but 100% knows how to camp and goof.
That gif for example is after the dude was shopping in a Walmart for villains called something like The Merc and stuck dynamite down his pants and ran when he saw Gordon look8for him

Also
tumblr_p6qoq0ZRH51va9vvro1_540.gif

tumblr_p6qoq0ZRH51va9vvro2_540.gif

tumblr_ozcij6HB0V1qb5qxmo1_540.gif
tumblr_ozcij6HB0V1qb5qxmo2_540.gif

tumblr_oxriw48n5C1v08u1wo6_400.gif
tumblr_oxriw48n5C1v08u1wo2_400.gif

tumblr_oxriw48n5C1v08u1wo3_400.gif
tumblr_oxriw48n5C1v08u1wo5_400.gif

Last edited:

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Smart of WB to be leveraging HBO MAX to build out their DC stuff. Similar to how Disney is using Disney+ in regards to Marvel and Star Wars.

Terence Winter, the possibility of Jeffrey Wright as Gordon, and this being closer to Gotham Central has me pretty into it. Without all three of those, I'd be much less excited for some more copaganda.