• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
HBO Max and Matt Reeves, the filmmaker behind the new Batman movie, have teamed up to develop a police drama series set in the crime-infested streets of the Caped Crusader's hometown Gotham City

Oh my fucking god, stop shoving police drama into every show with a vaguely interesting hook.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
This probably won't be another Batman show w/o Batman, Pattinson gonna have some presence.
This show can possibly be great for world building for a larger Batman universe.

Still, i do agree with the posts before: A show about cops is not the best idea right now

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotham cops have always been awful, isn't that why Batman doesn't really trust him and was hunted by them for sometime if I remember

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
How long can you keep a Gotham City crime procedural going before someone is in a fistfight with Ra's Al Ghul on a blimp?

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Sure, I can get with this. Lost interest in Gotham after about two seasons but I think that's more due to their approach. It reminded me a lot of the Schumacker Batman movies. Being on HBO opens the possibilities up a lot more.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
This is the only way I would be interested in this.

First or second season ends with Renee leaving the force and becoming The Question.
Vic Sage showing up as a supporting character, maybe initially antagonistic, then culminating in his death would be cool. I'd love to see how a live-action Question mask would work.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotham did a Order of Saint Dumas storyline that ends with Azrael getting blown up with an RPG from ten feet away, it deserves our undying respect for that alone.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Vic Sage showing up as a supporting character, maybe initially antagonistic, then culminating in his death would be cool. I'd love to see how a live-action Question mask would work.
I've done a Question cosplay. It's actually a very easy mask to make, and it's very effective in person at creeping people out.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I've done a Question cosplay. It's actually a very easy mask to make, and it's very effective in person at creeping people out.
What did you use to make the mask? I've seen pictures online of people doing it with cheesecloth, but the visibility seems like it would be killer. I guess there's no real way around having your eyes blocked.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I should really finish The Shield

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
What did you use to make the mask? I've seen pictures online of people doing it with cheesecloth, but the visibility seems like it would be killer. I guess there's no real way around having your eyes blocked.
Mine was with cheesecloth as well. Two layers, both dyed. The bottom layer I cut out holes for the eyes which really helped visibility while the outer layer still completely obscured my eyes from the outside.

It's a little annoying to wear, but I could still see everything. The biggest issue was being able to see text from far away, but I was also wearing an old contacts prescription. :P

I'm sure more experienced costume designers can come up with even better solutions.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017

First or second season ends with Renee leaving the force and becoming The Question.

Considering the fact that Renee is one of my favorite characters ever and I love her as the Question, I would be all for this.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

Kate Kane better be in the show as well then, especially now that she's being written out of the CW Batwoman show. And since this is in the same universe as The Batman, hopefully they'll get a good actor this time around, so she can appear in the inevitable sequel. Because no point in having her interact with a Batman played by Robert Pattinson, if they get a Ruby Rose-tier actor to to portray her.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Mine was with cheesecloth as well. Two layers, both dyed. The bottom layer I cut out holes for the eyes which really helped visibility while the outer layer still completely obscured my eyes from the outside.

It's a little annoying to wear, but I could still see everything. The biggest issue was being able to see text from far away, but I was also wearing an old contacts prescription. :P

I'm sure more experienced costume designers can come up with even better solutions.
Thanks for sharing. I definitely plan on giving this a go. Never tried making a costume before but a mask seems like a relatively simple way to start.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
buried the lede with Terrence Winter on this though btw. which is nuts. this could be the GCPD show people were wanting from Gotham.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Definitely buried the lede...Because it's crazy they are willing to give this milquetoast show runner a big budget again.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
It is kinda is the organic other half of the Batman/justice coin. I don't want to see a show about Gotham's lawyers.

It probably doesn't help Gotham literally started as a police procedural before going full speed into campy schlock.
It could be good sure, but police dramas these days are a questionable decision.

Last edited:

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I watched Gotham from beginning to end and enjoyed all of it. I have zero interest in a cop show or anything else in the "grounded" Nolan garbage style they seem to keep wanting to do.

I wish they would embrace the crazy wierd "supernatural" villains that exist in that world. Just like in Gotham.

Last edited:

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
That mean Jeffrey Wright will be the lead in this? Cause that would be awesome to see his Gordon running the corrupt GCPD and trying to turn it around.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
It probably doesn't help Gotham literally started as a police procedural before going full speed into campy schlock.
It could be good sure, but police dramas these days are a questionable decision.

I was thinking that having that layer of heightened realism (superheroes, etc.) might allow them to tackle/comment on the reality of today's corrupt/racist police institutions more directly than, say, Brooklyn '99.

I'd love to see a black Jim Gordon that doesn't skirt about the issue.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Matt Reeves?

Terence Winter?

giphy.gif
Depending on how involved Reeves would be I'd be fully on board. I don't get some of the comments in here about Winter. Boardwalk Empire didn't finish strong but even the last season had one of the better TV episodes I've seen (Harrows final episode). Personally I think the show is criminally underrated and if nothing else he can write some very interesting characters. Harrow, Chalky White, Dunn Purnsley, and Van Alden to name a few

Oct 27, 2017
they could totally do a batman who we never get the PoV of, he's just the fucking bogeyman of gotham
just put a stuntman in a suit and keep him in the shadows, only have him show up when absolutely necessary
all wayne exposition can be done in news clips etc

Gotham was like grotesque kabuki theater, I couldn't stand any of it. Once Upon a Time-level tripe. (not that it shouldn't exist, and good for the cast/crew for finding an easy meal ticket, i just felt like i was watching a bunch of cosplayers)

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Would not be shocked if Pattinson's Batman would show up once or twice a season... This isn't just some CW show, this will look and feel like the movie, so why not?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Definitely buried the lede...Because it's crazy they are willing to give this milquetoast show runner a big budget again.

Boardwalk is one of the best drama series of the last decade

Winter is the craziest get for comic book tv. A project like this would normally go to somebody who worked on a few episodes of a marvel netflix show or some shit

Oct 25, 2017
If we are going to do another Gotham Cop series can we get Detective Yin and Ethan in addition to rookie Montoya and Bullock.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Gotham was great. Best comic show ever IMO. We can always hope that there will be another show just as good.

FunnyBunny19

alt account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Everyone with gripes over this being a cop show, you do realize this is Gotham PD we're talking about? Their main characteristic is they're all corrupt as fuck, plus I wouldn't expect Terence Winter to make a white knight cop tv show.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Gotham is a good show first of all. Same for Pennyworth. Both are an 8/10 but let´s do the award-winning Gotham Central for real this time. Thx Batwoman for being such a disaster. HBO Max bet on that one but it flamed out. A great character in the comics but what can you do. Reboot in a decade. Tell then GCPD KINO.

Nolan and Goyer adapted this issue for TDK´s second act btw:
Gotham%2BCentral%2B%2B013%2BCopy-1.jpg

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that having that layer of heightened realism (superheroes, etc.) might allow them to tackle/comment on the reality of today's corrupt/racist police institutions more directly than, say, Brooklyn '99.

I'd love to see a black Jim Gordon that doesn't skirt about the issue.

Having a black actor portray Jim Gordon would have an interesting perspective, if the writing is of good quality. The show could nail this perspective, or have it as window dressing for underutilized plotlines.