• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should The Batman included Joker for the sequel?

• Yes

Votes: 47 24.9%
  • No

Votes: 115 60.8%
  • More Joker? Let's stick with one for now.

Votes: 27 14.3%

• Total voters

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it.

Even then, I doubt he'd have his wacky suit, blue skin and cold gun.

You'd think Guardians of the Galaxy would have shown everything doesn't need to be grounded

like Galactus doesn't need to be a dumb cloud anymore. that time has passd

guess Batman's an exception for some reason

Difference is most Batman creators and fans are deeply pretentious.

Batman Begins had a ancient ninja-cult secret society and a slum right out of a pulp comic flooded with nightmare gas by stolen super-tech. Even "grounded" Batman was never grounded in the real world

Wow, a slum and hallucinogenic gas. How fantastical.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for more ice cold puns.
V1ick6h.gif

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see how this movie performs first before talking about villains. We aren't even sure this universe accommodates super villains.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What about a gritty Batman isn't comic accurate? What exactly is it that you want from a Batman adaptation that's not achievable with a more grounded aesthetic?
One that's like the comic book. For instance using the riddler instead of riddler in name only zodiac killer which totally doesn't get the point of the riddler from what I have seen.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Why is your topic about Mr. Freeze, but the poll is about Joker?

Only the Joker would do something so crazy, imo

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do it. I don't want Joker*, let's branch out and finally nail some of the other iconic rogues.

* Unless they're played by Kristin Stewart, then I accept.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Fuck no. I didn't say silly or camp, but comic book.

EDIT: Like I have been reading Batman for years and still keep up, I want a more faithful adaption and that isn't grounded. Peacemaker shows you can do it, and you don't have to tone down violence or harder stuff either.

Like we have a zillion properties like this already. One just one property that is distinguish itself today from the rest and ppl want to turn that also into a quip fest with a zillion comic book references shenanigans.

Besides this Batman does look like its from the comics. It probably just happens to be comics you dont like. There are many many kinds of Batman comics out there.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I even prefer Arnold as Mr. Freeze to Joker. Just leave that poor clown for a few years.

Oct 27, 2017
One that's like the comic book. For instance using the riddler instead of riddler in name only zodiac killer which totally doesn't get the point of the riddler from what I have seen.
Aesthetically, Riddler might not look comic accurate, but the spirit of the character seems to be in tact. Recent TV spots have highlighted his sick sense of humor. This movie is shaping up to be the most like the comics out of all of the adaptations so far.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
Alright fine you've thawed my cold heart I'll watch your damn movie if there's a chance the sequel has Freeze. Just cool it with the seriel killers it's played out and it'll chill me to the bone if a grounded Mr. Freeze means some rando who flash freezes people in a murder spree.

What about a gritty Batman isn't comic accurate? What exactly is it that you want from a Batman adaptation that's not achievable with a more grounded aesthetic?
I imagine they want the other half of Batman's rogues gallery that never get to show up because they aren't grounded enough. Heck add like 90% of the supporting cast onto that aswell.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I neverkkef Clayface as a kid but the Tynion run on Detective made me appreciate him more. I think if they cast a good actor for the role it could be a great fit for movies as he has a compelling backstory.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like we have a zillion properties like this already. One just one property that can distinguish itself today and you want to turn that also into a quip fest with a zillion comic book references shenanigans.

Besides this Batman does look like its from the comics. It probably just happens to be comics you dont like.
I didn't say quip fest. Hell make a horror movie adapted from any of the beat of Snyder's run. Either a true court of owls or death in the family with joker in a skin mask of his own face trying to destroy everything Bruce loves because he thinks it makes him weak and takes away from their dynamic.

I didn't say campy or like marvel, Batman has been in some dark shit, but it's still comic books with comic logic and not trying to explain how everything could actually work. It's a dude who dresses up as a bat.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I neverkkef Clayface as a kid but the Tynion run on Detective made me appreciate him more. I think if they cast a good actor for the role it could be a great fit for movies as he has a compelling backstory.
Tynion's detective was god tier, and every time I see something labeled Gotham Knights I cry a little knowing it won't have anything to do with that run.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they want the other half of Batman's rogues gallery that never get to show up because they aren't grounded enough. Heck add like 90% of the supporting cast onto that aswell.
Which villains would that be? Can't think of too many of the good ones that couldn't be done in a "grounded" way. Grounded doesn't have to mean realistic. Matt Reeves is coming off two incredible films about talking apes. It's not like he's afraid of the fantastical.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Batman Begins had a ancient ninja-cult secret society and a slum right out of a pulp comic flooded with nightmare gas by stolen super-tech. Even "grounded" Batman was never grounded in the real world
When people complain about "grounded" they don't mean that its a 1 to 1 to our real world. Just that the creators put a ceiling on the types of stories they can tell in order to maintain a sense of "realism". Everything you listed from Begins is just heightened reality. League of Shadows is just a terrorist group. The Narrows is just a very poor part of a major city. Nightmare gas is just hallucinogens/chemical warfare.

Which villains would that be? Can't think of too many of the good ones that couldn't be done in a "grounded" way. Grounded doesn't have to mean realistic. Matt Reeves is coming off two incredible films about talking apes. It's not like he's afraid of the fantastical.
Reeves letting Apes talk in his Planet of the Apes films isn't really proof that WB will let the Batman franchise get fantastical. Apes talked in his movies because talking Apes is part of the IP that audiences are familiar with. Reeves wasn't really pushing any boundaries because an Ape talking is like the Waynes getting killed in a Batman movie.

Last edited:

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I'd like to see a trilogy in the style of the Arkham games where they didn't steer away from the fantasy of Batman. Give me Freeze, Poison Ivy, Man-Bat, Immortal Al Ghul, accurate Bane, etc. If we're just getting Nolan 2.0, I'm gonna be incredibly disappointed.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I didn't say quip fest. Hell make a horror movie adapted from any of the beat of Snyder's run. Either a true court of owls or death in the family with joker in a skin mask of his own face trying to destroy everything Bruce loves because he thinks it makes him weak and takes away from their dynamic.

I didn't say campy or like marvel, Batman has been in some dark shit, but it's still comic books with comic logic and not trying to explain how everything could actually work. It's a dude who dresses up as a bat.

And you are still getting a dude dressed up as a bat, A catwoman that looks straight out of the comics ( Finally looks like we are getting a decent Batman Catwoman dynamic from the comics). Just putting a little bit more effort to explain the psychology of the characters and the world around them does not mean that it is not comic book accurate

This.

When people complain about "grounded" they don't mean that its a 1 to 1 to our real world. Just that the creators put a ceiling on the types of stories they can tell in order to maintain a sense of "realism". Everything you listed from Begins is just heightened reality. League of Shadows is just a terrorist group. The Narrows is just a very poor part of a major city. Nightmare gas is just hallucinogens/chemical warfare.

And how does it matter? Would the movie have been better if it is just nightmare gas made from magic?

Also we just had Batman fight some CGI monsters recently. Like its not like we never got that or particularly new. We have a zillion super heroes fighting some variation of CGI monsters. Do we need another super hero to do that again in live action. Why cant one property be a little different.

Aug 13, 2019
I've had more than enough of the Joker to last multiple lifetimes. Mr. Freeze deserves a proper shot on the big screen.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Aesthetically, Riddler might not look comic accurate, but the spirit of the character seems to be in tact. Recent TV spots have highlighted his sick sense of humor. This movie is shaping up to be the most like the comics out of all of the adaptations so far.
This plus there is a literal question mark in a cup of coffee lol

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
And you are still getting a dude dressed up as a bat, A catwoman that looks straight out of the comics ( Finally looks like we are getting a decent Batman Catwoman dynamic from the comics). Just putting a little bit more effort to explain the psychology of the characters and the world around them does not mean that it is not comic book accurate

This.

And how does it matter? Would the movie have been better if it is just nightmare gas made from magic?

Also we just had Batman fight some CGI monsters recently. Like its not like we never got that or particularly new. We have a zillion super heroes fighting some variation of CGI monsters. Do we need another super hero to do that again in live action. Why cant one property be a little different.
You're spitting. I'm glad the Batman movies are more grounded. Besides, it's not like everything else out right now isn't on the more fantastical side

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Two articles about who Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson want in the sequel, published in quick succession? Feels like they want to throw people off the scent for surprise inclusions in The Batman.

Barry Keoghan is rumoured to be The Joker in this film.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Freeze from Gotham played by Nathan Darrow was good, I thought. That was a way to present the character as a little less campy (compared to Arnold, lol)

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about? The poster I was replying to listed nightmare gas as not being a grounded weapon. The list of examples was just showing that everything Nolan did in his trilogy has a very real world parallel.

LOL. I don't know how you can bemoan about super hero properties being same when solo Batman movies have been the same for 20 years. People aren't clamoring for "CGI monsters" they just want the palette for the type of stories to expand beyond Batman fighting mob bosses/serial killers/terrorist. I never understand why a certain portion of the Batman fandom gets so defensive whenever anyone brings up wanting something different.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
What are you talking about? The poster I was replying to listed nightmare gas as not being a grounded weapon. The list of examples was just showing that everything Nolan did in his trilogy has a very real world parallel.

LOL. I don't know how you can bemoan about super hero properties being same when solo Batman movies have been the same for 20 years. People aren't clamoring for "CGI monsters" they just want the palette for the type of stories to expand beyond Batman fighting mob bosses/serial killers/terrorist. I never understand why a certain portion of the Batman fandom gets so defensive whenever anyone brings up wanting something different.

That wanting something different is just essentially more of the same within the context of the entire super hero genre. So batman being largely the same is still unique within the context of the avalanche of stuff both Marvel and DC are putting out on a yearly basis which is just one monster after another (All different from mob bosses, serial killers) and none of which are remotely grounded and look like they have come from an assembly line cut from the same cloth.

The Batman fandom is defensive because its probably the only property that is still treated a little differently to the zillion other super heroes out there in the live action space and the suggestion of having Batman fight fantastical enemies and have him be just another superhero doing the same thing is just boring.

Also Batman movies have not been the same for 20 years. We literally just had Lego Batman, Zack Snyders Batman fighting some fantastical things, If anything its other super heroes that could use a little bit of a change in how they are represented instead of the same old same old.

It would be one thing if we are getting an avalanche of `grounded` movies from punisher to daredevil in this space that is leading to fatigue but what is happening is exactly the opposite. So why not have this continue to be a little different from the rest of the super hero movies out there.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
He has one of the most tragic backstories from any comic book villain - yeah, I mean his backstory from the Animated series - and I would love to see his character in a movie made by MR.. the same with Clayface - a guy who fucks up his face and body with too many fat injections and weird stuff that he loses his mind and starts killing people who he thinks are taking the spotlight from him..

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Gimme Hugo Strange and Calendar Man please.

He has one of the most tragic backstories from any comic book villain - yeah, I mean his backstory from the Animated series - and I would love to see his character in a movie made by MR.. the same with Clayface - a guy who fucks up his face and body with too many fat injections and weird stuff that he loses his mind and starts killing people who he thinks are taking the spotlight from him..

Freeze and Clayface would actually be a pretty fun combo. The main issue with both is they can be played a bit too sympathetic, so the movie would need to decide early what way it wants to go to avoid winding up "We need him to blow up an orphanage so the audience starts rooting against him."

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Also Batman movies have not been the same for 20 years. We literally just had Lego Batman, Zack Snyders Batman fighting some fantastical things, If anything its other super heroes that could use a little bit of a change in how they are represented instead of the same old same old.

It would be one thing if we are getting an avalanche of `grounded` movies from punisher to daredevil in this space that is leading to fatigue but what is happening is exactly the opposite. So why not have this continue to be a little different from the rest of the super hero movies out there.

I said solo Batman films have been the same for 20 years because they have. I don't agree but animated movies in Hollywood aren't counted as mainline films and the Snyder movies were ensembles. Solo Batman films have been in a "year 1-3" holding pattern since Nolan. The movies don't want to tell any stories outside of Bruce's origin, him establishing himself early on and then retiring.

Also, Punisher and Daredevil are 'street level' not 'grounded' in the same way Batman is forced to be. Charlies Cox's Matt Murdoch is just as visceral/gritty/tragic/ psychologically messed up as Bruce Wayne but the ceiling on his world is high enough that you don't blink when he interacts with someone like the Purple Man. Its not a binary between gritty grounded and CGI fantastic fest.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I love mask of the phantasm. I just want more people to love it as well.
I literally just rewatched it acouple nights ago. You adapt that in live action, you don't get all that beautiful art deco, you don't get to play with the World of the Future metaphor, none of that. MotP is a perfect Batman movie. Let it rest undisturbed.

See: every lifeless Disney live action remake.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
Warner Bros. Is proud to unveil a new grounded Batman movie. Mr. Freeze owns an ice cream booth in Coney Island and imprisons Bruce Wayne in one of the large coolers he has to keep his vanilla ice cream under room temperature. Watch as Mr. Freeze roams local pharmacies and battles against his high health insurance deductible, looking for a cure for his wife's incurable disease: type 2 diabetes.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Why are they trying to do a grounded comic book movie? All we get are grounded comic book movies every year, we never get movies where the super-heroes go to space, or get to wear colorful costumes, or have a sense of humor, there's never any super-hero movies with fantastical elements or magic or cosmic characters and weird aliens.
There's barely anything like that in movies right now, and yet we are getting another "grounded" batman. Isn't the market saturated by grounded takes on superheroes by now?