• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny to me how often it's mentioned that Batman loves to beat his enemies to a pulp and put them in the hospital.

Guys, Batman has countless tools and gadgets to incapacitate baddies without throwing a single punch.

And if he does need to throw a punch, he won't need more than a few to knock them unconscious. He's an expert martial artist. He knows how to K.O. someone without leaving lasting traumatic damage or slowly killing them.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny to me how often it's mentioned that Batman loves to beat his enemies to a pulp and put them in the hospital.

Guys, Batman has countless tools and gadgets to incapacitate baddies without throwing a single punch.

And if he does need to throw a punch, he won't need more than a few to knock them unconscious. He's an expert martial artist. He knows how to K.O. someone without leaving lasting traumatic damage or slowly killing them.

Also he is a comic book character in a world where clay face poison ivy and other unrealistic stuff is around. I think in this case we just have to go with " they are gonna be ok" logic.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Batman should never kill. He should keep putting the same guy in Arkham over and over and letting them escape only to kill people so he can put them back in Arkham only to serve his own ego.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Batman should never kill. He should keep putting the same guy in Arkham over and over and letting them escape only to kill people so he can put them back in Arkham only to serve his own ego.
He is a billionaire

Just pay your taxes kill your lunatics

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Legit my fav aspect of all 4 is Kilmer exploring trauma with O'Donnell

People can take issue with Forever overall but those quiet scenes which absolutely build off 89 and Returns are legitimately excellent
Yeah its why I didn't take issue with it in those films, because it was utilized (justified) to basically inform Bruce and Grayson's conversations. to juxtapose with MoS and BvS, I took issue with those takes of the heroes because I didn't think they could land that plane so to speak with how WB was just in a rush to get films out and I didn't trust Snyder to be all too interested in landing those planes either.

If you're gonna have Supes or Bats break their no kill rule, you have to do something with it that fits who they are as characters unless you explicitly wanna do Mortal Kombat levels of body counts (which while not what I would spring for I know others enjoy that sort of thing and those kinds of comic book stories have their place).

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its why I didn't take issue with it in those films, because it was utilized (justified) to basically inform Bruce and Grayson's conversations. to juxtapose with MoS and BvS, I took issue with those takes of the heroes because I didn't think they could land that plane so to speak with how WB was just in a rush to get films out and I didn't trust Snyder to be all too interested in landing those planes either.

If you're gonna have Supes or Bats break their no kill rule, you have to do something with it that fits who they are as characters unless you explicitly wanna do Mortal Kombat levels of body counts (which while not what I would spring for I know others enjoy that sort of thing and those kinds of comic book stories have their place).

Plus it honoured the actual history of the no kill rule. Batman grew into that, he didn't start there in the comics

Honestly if you just give yourself over to the 66 levels of camp there's a lot of good character stuff in both Schumacher films

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Batman's a lot of fun when he's fightin guys. But, I always appreciated when they showed the more humanitarian version of the character. The Batman who truly wants to help the criminals reform. TAS did that well with him always trying to help foes like Two Face and Clayface. And the Ace moment in JL is an all time best for the character.

I seem to remember a few stand out Bat moments in the Moore run of Swamp Thing, too. There was one panel in an early arc after the JL comes across a defeated villain. They don't call attention to it, but in the background you see Batman putting his cape around the guy like a fireman would do for a victim. In a later arc, Batman gives a eulogy for a character, and the character's love interest remarks that Batman is the only one of the JL to bother to show up.

Badass Batman is still awesome. But I like when he's creative in dispatching goons instead of being a beat down psycho.

Status
Not open for further replies.