• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Between Gamepass, bundles, and freebies I dont foresee myself buying full price PC games now. I used to buy at least 1 a month. I think Control was my only purchase last year.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As a non PC owner, a console gamer, I don't really see what the fuss is other than it being inconvenient having games strewn across different applications. But it's not like if you own a PC you can't get access to certain stores, you have access to them all anyway. Is it really such a big issue? Does it go beyond just the simple annoyance of having to setup new accounts and open up different apps to open your games with?
It's the equivalent of having to load up a different UI on your PS4/XBO and then suddenly no longer having access to your PSN/Xbox Live friends lists, trophies/achievements, the guide, etc. That would surely be annoying no? When you play a PS4/XBO game, you just expect to have all those features as standard as they're integrated in to the console UI/OS. And it's the exact same with Steam - it has all those featues as standard in every game on their store as part of their Steam integration. Suddenly if a game is exclusive to another launcher, you lose all that stuff and you're in a different ecosystem.

As a couch PC gamer who uses Steam Big Picture Mode, it makes things less plug and play. But luckily I can add games from other launchers to steam using SteamGridDB Manager and UWPHook, but it's obviously a little more hassle than if everything was just on Steam itself.

Oct 25, 2017
As a non PC owner, a console gamer, I don't really see what the fuss is other than it being inconvenient having games strewn across different applications. But it's not like if you own a PC you can't get access to certain stores, you have access to them all anyway. Is it really such a big issue? Does it go beyond just the simple annoyance of having to setup new accounts and open up different apps to open your games with?
You have separate friends lists on every app for multiplayer and have to keep up with lots of accounts. Additionally the Game Pass app comes with extremely restrictive DRM that restricts access to the game folder which prevents modding.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help thinking that PC is now more closely aligned to the console cycle than ever before, so more likely to be affected by the down part of the cycle. There are just so many interlocking factors now.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

its a lot of upkeep between different storefronts since none of the services are unified. sometimes gaming on one service prevents you from playing with people who have a different version on another storefront. sometimes mods are configured to work with this version of a game on a storefront, but not the other. things like family share and controller support are hugely absent from other storefronts. there are a lot of things that make you question if having your games strewn across different services is worth the hassle. I have at least 8 launchers on my gaming pc. this is the kind of experience that pushes people back to piracy. its not convenient, at all.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Same. But epic store free game policy gives an excuse to anyone to download the games from unofficial sources anytime and without launcher, in case they missed the free offer date
  • Farming Simulator 19 (January 30-February 6)
  • The Bridge (January 23-30, 2019)
  • Horace (January 16-23, 2019)
  • Sundered Eldritch Edition (January 9-16, 2019)
  • Steep, Darksiders I Warmastered Edition, and Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition (January 1-9, 2020)
  • Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (December 31, 2019-January 1, 2020)
  • Hello Neighbor (December 30-31, 2019)
  • The Talos Principle (December 29-30, 2019)
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (December 29-29, 2019)
  • Hyper Light Drifter (December 27-28, 2019)
  • Faster Than Light (December 26-27, 2019)
  • Totally Accurate Battle Simulator (December 25-26, 2019)
  • Celeste (December 24-25, 2019)
  • Ape Out (December 23-24, 2019)
  • Little Inferno (December 22-23, 2019)
  • Superhot (December 21-22, 2019)
  • TowerFall Ascension (December 20-21, 2019)
  • Into The Breach (December 19-20, 2019)
  • The Escapists and The Wolf Among Us (December 12-19, 2019)
  • Jotun: Valhalla Edition (December 6-12, 2019)
  • Rayman Legends (November 29-December 6, 2019)
  • Bad North (November 21-29, 2019)
  • The Messenger (November 14-21, 2019)
  • Nuclear Throne and Ruiner (November 7-14, 2019)
  • SOMA and Costume Quest (October 31-November 7, 2019)
  • Layers of Fear and Q.U.B.E. 2 (October 24-31, 2019)
  • Observer and Alan Wake's American Nightmare (October 17-24, 2019)
  • Surviving Mars and DLCs (Space Race and Resupply Pack) (October 10-17, 2019)
  • Minit (October 3-10, 2019)
  • Everything and Metro 2033: Redux (September 26-October 3, 2019)
  • Batman Arkham Collection (three games) and Lego Batman Trilogy (September 19-26, 2019)
  • Conarium (September 12-19, 2019)
  • The End is Nigh and Abzu (September 5-12, 2019)
  • Celeste and Inside (August 29-September 5, 2019)
  • Fez (August 22-29, 2019)
  • Hyper Light Drifter and Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (August 15-22, 2019)
  • GNOG (August 8-15, 2019)
  • For Honor and Alan Wake (August 2-9, 2019)
  • Moonlighter and This War of Mine (July 25-August 2, 2019)
  • LIMBO (July 17-25, 2019)
  • Torchlight (July 11-18, 2019)
  • Overcooked! (July 4-11, 2019)
  • Last Day of June (June 27-July 4, 2019)
  • Rebel Galaxy (June 20-27, 2019)
  • Enter The Gungeon (June 13-20, 2019)
  • Kingdom: New Lands (June 6-13, 2019)
  • City of Brass (May 30-June 6, 2019)
  • RiME (May 23-30, 2019)
  • Stories Untold (May 16-30, 2019)
  • World of Goo (May 2-16, 2019)
  • Transistor (April 18-May 2, 2019)
  • The Witness (April 4-18, 2019)
  • Oxenfree (March 21-April 4, 2019)
  • Slime Rancher (March 7-21, 2019)
  • Thimbleweed Park (February 21-March 7, 2019)
  • Axiom Verge (February 7-21, 2019)
  • Jackbox Party Pack (January 24-February 7, 2019)
  • What Remains of Edith Finch (January 11-24, 2019)
  • Super Meat Boy (December 28, 2018-January 10, 2019)
  • Subnautica (December 12-27, 2018)
But what about games like Red Dead Redemption or Control, that I want to buy, but since its (or was) exclusive to EGS I'm not buying any time soon?
Free games are amazing but 1)most are indies; 2) Old games; 3) Not the ones I want.

In 2019 I spent much less than 2017/2018. It was thanks to Gamepass and EGS moneyhats

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
So we're pretending like a lot of us didn't recognise this *immediatelly*?
Okay.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
It's the equivalent of having to load up a different UI on your PS4/XBO and then suddenly no longer having access to your PSN/Xbox Live friends lists, trophies/achievements, the guide, etc. That would surely be annoying no? When you play a PS4/XBO game, you just expect to have all those features as standard as they're integrated in to the console UI/OS. And it's the exact same with Steam - it has all those featues as standard in every game on their store as part of their Steam integration. Suddenly if a game is exclusive to another launcher, you lose all that stuff and you're in a different ecosystem.

As a couch PC gamer who uses Steam Big Picture Mode, it makes things less plug and play. But luckily I can add games from other launchers to steam using SteamGridDB Manager and UWPHook, but it's obviously a little more hassle than if everything was just on Steam itself.
I'm just gonna copy and paste this whenever someone asks.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Never gave too much thought about how free games would have affected sales this much, so interesting. In general, I boycotted EGS and haven't bought a couple of big hitters that I would have gotten ages ago (i.e. Metro Exodus, Control, etc.).

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Love to make an ablest joke about *checks notes* a video game shop.
Lmao if insulting a nebulous "someone" by implying they're stupid is ableist, everyone on this forum is ableist. Maybe you're reading too much into it, my dude.

The drooling mouth breather is not a stand in for someone who is intellectually disabled, though it's interesting that's where your mind went.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Console game sales are down too, makes sense. EGS had a pretty good year so it's not a problem.
I see GamePass reducing the amount of sales though. I sure don't buy games that are on GamePass (and I would have otherwise bought fantastic titles like Forza Horizon 4).

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm shocked that so many on era like this narrative and decided to accept it based on zero evidence. Shocked!

(Someone's going to reply to this about sales being down. I know they are. You just can't possibly know every reason for that and I'm not really interested in hearing you conjecture)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first clear indication that a) contrary to popular belief, customers didn't blindly "follow the games" and b) customer backlash against Epic isn't originating from a small minority of hardcores that complain on forums but is in fact large enough to cause a noteworthy platform-wide drop in consumer spending.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I wouldn't call what EGS is doing competition. They aren't trying to offer a better service than Steam. They're simply trying to lock other storefronts out of titles and moneyhat their way into market share.

This is an intellectually dishonest take I see a lot around here:

Free games is competition.
Exclusive deals are competition.
Taking a lower cut is competition.

They're all measures taken to gain stronger control of the finite market that them and their competitors operate it in. They're also measures that aren't unique to gaming.

You might not like the way they do it and thats fine, but saying they are not 'competing' is completely wrong.

Oct 25, 2017

I would say at this point EGS has reached an acceptable level of features that I would consider it a perfectly fine place to play your games. Its big downside at this point is the lack of linux support. I think steam has around 500k linux users so that's shutting out a lot of people.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think Gamepass is being overstated for this reason. I don't really see the value on PC. I can understand ultimate on console but on PC, it dilutes this further.

EGS isn't even on my radar other than the Fortnite launcher with free games.

Steam primarily continues to be a super robust piece of software which makes my life so much easier.

Something which some might consider minor but.....

I was letting one of the kids play Gary's Mod (Murder/Prop hunt) and while he was playing, I was on my phone on the workshop page subscribing to mods and immediately had the notification in the game as they were downloading.

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
Platform Wars?

2019 was the opening scuffle, a brief skirmish. It was the declaration of hostilities and not much more. You think Epic and Steam are done taking potshots at each other?

Both are in this for the long haul. They're just getting started.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

Ahhh ok. I get it. I just assumed all that stuff on PC could be done and was done through other apps. Didn't realise all those features were locked down depending on where you bought the game. That's stupid.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Its big downside at this point is the lack of linux support. I think steam has around 500k linux users so that's shutting out a lot of people.

Don't worry, Tim's on the case

vzuds5ycbzw21.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I would say at this point EGS has reached an acceptable level of features that I would consider it a perfectly fine place to play your games. Its big downside at this point is the lack of linux support. I think steam has around 500k linux users so that's shutting out a lot of people.
Can you even talk with other people while you are playing different games in EGS now? And I mean easily from inside the game, not using Discord.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Platform Wars?

2019 was the opening scuffle, a brief skirmish. It was the declaration of hostilities and not much more. You think Epic and Steam are done taking potshots at each other?

Unless I missed something, it was more like Epic ravenously screaming at Valve and banging at the gate with nary an acknowledgment or reaction from their side.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Platform Wars?

Valve did nothing, it was all on Epic. What Epic didnt expect was GamePass hitting PC, which is the real deal here.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Unless I missed something, it was more like Epic ravenously screaming at Valve and banging at the gate with nary an acknowledgment or reaction from their side.
Yes, but it was more than that. They were able to disrupt the scene by moneyhatting games requiring people to change where they normally purchase PC games. They stop a lot of discounts from various places until recently (GMG, keys) and then they started giving away free games on a monthly basis. Those games are free for us, but they come only due to backroom deals between Epic and the publisher/devs.

Valve did nothing, they just waited and they really didn't need to do anything. They are still the market. Epic is the newcomer, doing whatever they can to make waves, and they definitely have, but not enough for Valve/Steam to care.

Then MS jump in with the PC Gamepass, and stole quite a bit of their thunder. Tons of games, cheaply priced subs, especially if you jumped on the errors (.05$ a day) and more games coming every month.

Yeah, the PC gaming scene was really all over the place in 2019.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
While everyone was fighting about Epic and Steam, Microsoft slipped in and introduced the best value in gaming.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Platform Wars?

Valve barely did or said anything directed at Epic while Timmy was shouting from the rooftops declaring himself the chosen one of PC Gaming and smearing them at twitter.

There are a couple of weirdo journalists and trolls who want to paint the situation as some kind of war going on between the two.

Valve is just trucking along doing their own thing.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Valve dont need to do anything, Epic Games is no threat to them at all, thats why they dont bother doing anything. I see Game pass for pc as a way bigger threat, but microsoft is putting their games on steam aswell, so i dont think valve really care.

Nov 8, 2017
Not surprised. EGS has been giving tons of big games away. Also for the past few years there have been far fewer great deals on digital games (especially on Steam). Many big titles are staying in the $10+ range or having 25-66% off sales instead of $5 and under and 75-85% off.

I only buy digital games because they're cheap, or it's the only way to play. All of my impulse Steam sale purchases were because the game went on sale for almost nothing. I'm simply not going to take a chance on games that don't go on deep discount. For example Gris looks interesting but there's no way I'd drop $10+ on it. That's a game I'd take a chance on for $5.

Luckily for now we have a good deal in Game Pass PC. In fact I waited and what do you know, Gris was just added to the catalogue. With the XGP deals I loaded up and for a reasonably cheap price I'll be able to ignore Steam and other platforms for another couple of years. Thing is, there will never be a make-up for those lost sales - unless it's a truly incredible game I want to own, I'm just going to play on Game Pass and never purchase.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I slowed down on buying games this year but I think it was mostly due to having access to Gamepass and the plethora of free games given out this year.

I have EGS solely for the free games. I refuse to buy games on the platform but I will take the freebies.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I didn't buy some games like borderlands 3 in 2019 because of the Epic exclusivity, but now I don't even feel like playing it when it launches on Steam so I probably won't buy it at all or with a very steep discount.
I also haven't bought a handful of Indies because I didn't want to make another account on a different service. For me having multiple accounts is worse than another launcher.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. EGS has been giving tons of big games away. Also for the past few years there have been far fewer great deals on digital games (especially on Steam). Many big titles are staying in the $10+ range or having 25-66% off sales instead of $5 and under and 75-85% off.

I only buy digital games because they're cheap, or it's the only way to play. All of my impulse Steam sale purchases were because the game went on sale for almost nothing. I'm simply not going to take a chance on games that don't go on deep discount. For example Gris looks interesting but there's no way I'd drop $10+ on it. That's a game I'd take a chance on for $5.

Luckily for now we have a good deal in Game Pass PC. In fact I waited and what do you know, Gris was just added to the catalogue. With the XGP deals I loaded up and for a reasonably cheap price I'll be able to ignore Steam and other platforms for another couple of years. Thing is, there will never be a make-up for those lost sales - unless it's a truly incredible game I want to own, I'm just going to play on Game Pass and never purchase.

This really is the wave imo. A lot of pc users tend to wait for deals (im talking out of my ass w only anecdotal proof so i may be completely wrong), and alternatives like game pass or (and this is a weird way of thinking to me?) the possibility that it may appear free on egs really just feels like an extension of this.

With options like this, the amount of units sold will drop for sure, but i feel like the the amnt gamepass/epic pay out is pretty opaque and would like to see how the devs/pubs are making out when participating in these things

But i gotta say i cant relate to the waiting for it to go free on egs thing, like that seems kind of nuts to me unless there is a pattern to it that im missing

Also, enjoy gris! I thought it was fantastic

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wonder how initiatives like EGS Free Games and GP "penny subscription" will affect consumer habits in a mid-long term.
I can understand the reasoning for them to take this approach and of course that consumers will take advantage of it but if they keep following this route longer I wonder how they expect to make consumers get back on spending track on theirs, or others, ecosystems when they got used to play good games spenting nothing or close to nothing for so long.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
^ i want to say it will inevitably shift towards the services; that just as the cd/mp3 have essentially died to streaming, so will ownership of games, especially as technology advances to deliver games more fluidly and on-demand. Ppl shit on stadia and it's unpreparedness, but i dont think google is worried; they know that they are situated at a certain point and while the tech/consumers arent rdy yet, they are still positioned for what's to come in 5-10 years.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first clear indication that a) contrary to popular belief, customers didn't blindly "follow the games" and b) customer backlash against Epic isn't originating from a small minority of hardcores that complain on forums but is in fact large enough to cause a noteworthy platform-wide drop in consumer spending.

Someone actually posted a clarification on this earlier in the thread:

It aint as fun as blaming Epic, but :

His quote is not specifically referring to the EGS.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I already saw that tweet. What other platform would he be talking about?

Bethesda now has a launcher. Rockstar now has a launcher. Microsoft launched Game Pass. Google launched Stadia. EGS is now a thing. PC has far more places to buy and play games than it used to, and it's likely to only get more fragmented. Just Game Pass alone was likely highly disruptive.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Should've stopped here tbh

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It benefits you by pushing down prices. Free EGS games, Game Pass, sales. If you prefer pure convenience than yeah, one company controlling everything is what you want.

Price isn't the only metric that benefits a consumer. Even then, giving away free games is nice, but new games that are exclusive to EGS are often more expensive because there are no competing storefronts to drive the price down. I don't have the chart at hand, but you can look at isthereanydeal to see this. The existence of services like GMG and GOG and humble bundle that all provide different deals on new games usually mean that you can get steam keys cheaper than the $60 you see on steam. Not the case with EGS.

Beyond that, price alone isn't always a given factor. Let me give you a very simple example that's the most extreme case to demonstrate the point. You own an Xbox because you prefer the controller layout. PlayStation announces a campaign where all new third party games are $1 off. Technically, it is a cheaper price. Would you switch over to PlayStation? Probably not, right? So maybe there are factors beyond pure price that affect buying decisions. Maybe features also matter. For example, Steam recently started offering a PC cafe program where Internet cafe owners can buy mass group licenses to games at a reasonable price so that they can operate.

Finally, another point. Instead of taking down steam, EGS is likely to hurt smaller stores like GOG. Steam can push back since they have a big war chest. Smaller stores, less so. The dumb "competition is always good for the consumer" argument is a capitalist free market buzzword that can end up with big players swallowing smaller competitors and in the long run reducing options for users. Sometimes it is a good thing because it dismantles a monopoly, sometimes it is not. People often complain that there are too many TV streaming services and they end up having to pay too much to watch the things you want. If you abide by the mantra, more services would mean it's always better for the customer, but thats clearly not the case. Too much fragmentation takes away options from customers in that case. It's a case by case basis, not a mantra to live by.

Every time, in every EGS thread, in almost every page, we get posts like this. Despite people explaining multiple times each page on each thread, people refuse to listen or learn. This always ends up detailing these threads, and moss almost never do something about it. No wonder the PC community is mostly gone from this site.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
The history of pc gaming is littered with distributors that have come and gone. The early 2000s was a rough time of it. I see this modern period as just another round.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling, previously warned for same reason
"The great PC distribution platform wars of 2019" that was waged entirely by people with paper mache Gaben shrines in their closets against an imaginary enemy. Truly a battle for the ages.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I've misread this but are you implying Valve is equivalent to a local shop? They made an estimated profit revenue (thanks Evolution of Metal) of $4.3 billion dollars on game sales alone in 2017. This idea that they're some scrappy upstart is about a decade out of date, they've done an incredible amount for PC gaming but they don't care about us anymore than Epic does. Valve spearheaded some of the most predatory micro-transactions in the industry and without shareholders to appease will have amassed a ludicrous amount of wealth.
They're more like Kroger or Safeway. Epic's still bigger and has the backing of a major tech company.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
I think it's probably good for developers who want 88% instead of 70%, lol.

What does Valve do that deserves 30% of the revenue. They're just a store. Stores should never have 30% margins.
Honestly, I've shifted stance on valve. I used to be in the "what does valve do" camp, but I've been using features such as co op remote play and streaming to my iPad. Valve may be slow to do things, but there is value that no other storefront has.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The history of pc gaming is littered with distributors that have come and gone. The early 2000s was a rough time of it. I see this modern period as just another round.

We've seen what happened with TV and Movies. People went from buying ala carte with VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. and now everything is pretty much a month access fee through Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, etc. Music also moved to this model as well. It's very likely we see a similar transition for gaming. When everything is digital most people would probably rather pay a monthly fee to access a huge library of games than to buy ala carte for a much higher price. Certainly it would be much more attractive for an audience that bought physical and then traded games back in to buy new games.