• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite should be on Steam and Valve games should be on the Epic Store. Put everything on every store and let people choose what they prefer, you cowards.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a consumer why the fuck should I care about publishing margins?

Because you want content creators to have less risk, make more money and be able to continue to make more games? Especially smaller ones for whom those margins could make all the difference.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a combination of everything. Between "wait for the near monthly steam event sale", PC GamePass, Epic freebies, expansion of Humble Bundle and a greater popularity of the time consuming live games like Destiny, FFXIV and Warframe its not shocking we its having a knock on effect on the market.

But yeah I would be lying if I said the free games on Epic and the library on GamePass PC hasnt stopped a lot of my casual steam purchasing.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
I would like them to expose their stores as a api that third party launcher can consume. They can implement "one" store that connects all stores into one ui. U have all your games in there, can buy all your games from there and it's optimized for desktop and TV mode. I'm pretty sure there would be an awesome open source project if this would happen.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Who is the guys with no sources and why should I believe him?
source.gif

Regardless who he is, there's nothing showed backing up his claims =/
NPD requires people to pay for their data. They used to be a little bit more generous, but he's not going to share numbers publicly. But his comments are based off the results.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I certainly would have spent more this year if specific games came to a platform I actually want to invest in.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Not good but not unexpected.
I hate having a dozen launchers for games.
Admittedly, I did buy everything I wanted on PC last year, launchers be damned. But for a lot of people it's too much BS and I agree.
Competition is great, but things were a lot simpler when it was basically just Steam. Maybe if everyone else tries bringing their storefronts and featured up a few notches it would be better. I honestly don't love any of the PC launchers from a usability standpoint besides Steam. I suppose "these things take time" and I hope if EGS is here to stay, they put in the work to make the experience a lot better than it is today (don't get me wrong it's functional, but that's about it).
I preferred it how it was before steam.

No launcher just install the game and go. Quick search to see if there's an update. Steam is the reason I slowly stopped gaming on PC.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because you want content creators to have less risk, make more money and be able to continue to make more games? Especially smaller ones for whom those margins could make all the difference.

No I don't. They choose their own business and the risks associated with it.

I choose to buy products that offer me the best experience at the best cost.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Not suprising at all. Games released on EGS should generally sell less than games released on Steam so I think that alone would drive total sales down.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
How much Steam deserves a 30% cut depends how much they reinvest into improved user experience. Steam did a lot to bring PC gaming back from the brink when people thought it was dead due to piracy.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
It was actually a really good year for me spending wise on PC. Between Gamepass coming to PC, Humble Bundle and free games on the Epic store, I barely had to spend anything actually purchasing games.

Oh wait, we're meant to be feeling bad for publishers. Nevermind.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I don't understand how "Stores don't deserve 30% margins" is a hot take.

Outside of this one specific fight online, this is accepted pretty much literally everywhere else.
You said "What does Valve do that deserves 30% of the revenue. They're just a store. Stores should never have 30% margins". It's 2020. That entire narrative has been buried several thousand feet underground and the entire discussion about EGS has moved past it. I feel silly for even responding, to be honest. You're woefully behind on the discussion if you're still spewing "it's just a store" out and thinking it's anything other than word vomit.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

No launcher just install the game and go. Quick search to see if there's an update. Steam is the reason I slowly stopped gaming on PC.

Those days were fine too :)
My first PC game was Civilization on seven 3.5 floppy discs lol!
Before Steam was ok but I did hate having to keep track of keys for games. I basically had a giant tote with all the boxes stored for future use if needed. I was drug kicking and screaming away from physical games, but over the years I've found it to be much simpler and Steam surely had a lot to do with that. Only physical I buy now are some Switch games if I find good deals, and that's ok.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

yeah but this just doesn't really work with a digital economy

you need storefronts. adhoc websites for every video game just isn't viable and the exposure for them would be awful

a storefront like steam is a necessity and if it wasn't valve it was always going to be someone else

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I would like them to expose their stores as a api that third party launcher can consume. They can implement "one" store that connects all stores into one ui. U have all your games in there, can buy all your games from there and it's optimized for desktop and TV mode. I'm pretty sure there would be an awesome open source project if this would happen.
If all these companies who think a 30% cut is killing them would do this I'd never complain about games not coming to Steam again. Having all their games purchasable and updatable through Playnite or GOG Galaxy 2 would be amazing. But they'll never do it so I will continue just waiting for their stuff to hit Steam.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how "Stores don't deserve 30% margins" is a hot take.

Outside of this one specific fight online, this is accepted pretty much literally everywhere else.

This isn't a Steam thing. The standard for app sales is 30%. Go crusade about how the App Store and Google Play need to be nicer to developers.

It's not even a digital distribution thing, as it's approximately the same cut for retail sales. You're just flaunting profound ignorance on the subject.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Those days were fine too :)
My first PC game was Civilization on seven 3.5 floppy discs lol!
Before Steam was ok but I did hate having to keep track of keys for games. I basically had a giant tote with all the boxes stored for future use if needed. I was drug kicking and screaming away from physical games, but over the years I've found it to be much simpler and Steam surely had a lot to do with that. Only physical I buy now are some Switch games if I find good deals, and that's ok.
I did have a massive folder full of games on various types of disks. Im still mostly physical I like to manage things myself where possible. Stuck in my ways!

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
between game pass for pc and origin access i spent less than the price of a full game in the last year to play maybe a dozen games that i otherwise would have bought at full price. to look at the market in terms of raw purchases doesn't make sense, and to lay that at he feet of competing storefronts seems like a way to confirm a previously held bias

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
yeah but this just doesn't really work with a digital economy

you need storefronts. adhoc websites for every video game just isn't viable and the exposure for them would be awful

a storefront like steam is a necessity and if it wasn't valve it was always going to be someone else
Oh I totally understand that. I can't even remember where I used to download updates from now it was that long ago. Think the last game I put significant time into on PC was ut 2k3

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I did have a massive folder full of games on various types of disks. Im still mostly physical I like to manage things myself where possible. Stuck in my ways!

i hung in until sometime in the PS3/360 gen. When game manuals stopped being a thing I was mad, and realized that was a big thing I loved about physical.
Oh and it's another reason I live Working Designs so much - their games may have taken years to translate and release in the US, but the instruction manuals were godly!!

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
It's much more than that, but you already know it.
The last couple of days of revived EGS discussion has me all

iu

This whole EGS discussion is an ouroboros.

I've not tried gog for some time. I think the last time was the very first galaxy beta. I should look into it again.
I think they were more talking about that you don't need to use a launcher for any GOG games, just run the setup and it's installed like the good old days pre-launchers with no storefront/launcher/platform dependencies.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It just kinda sounds like launcher and store need to be decoupled, honestly.
Through allowing developers to generate (nearly) infinite keys for free, Steam has basically already done what you've asked for. It's a large part of the reason why people are still pissed at Epic hoarding timed exclusives, as it meant fewer retailers selling the game and subsequently higher prices. Of course, then Epic then spent millions of dollars subsidising their sales, which strikes me as self-defeating.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So be it, there needs to be competition when it comes to PC launchers and storefronts

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a Steam thing. The standard for app sales is 30%. Go crusade about how the App Store and Google Play need to be nicer to developers.

It's not even a digital distribution thing, as it's approximately the same cut for retail sales. You're just flaunting profound ignorance on the subject.
there are enough people out there that think that if it's digital, it has no carbon footprint

if it's on the internet, then it's literally free and takes zero effort, content delivery is the easiest thing in the world, just gotta press a button

it's funny how the "x is just a digital storefront" crowd can never seem to put a price on what
a) server costs & maintenance to store tens of thousands of videogame files, trailers, art etc
b) the cost of actually delivering said content on multiple platforms
c) the cost of paying developers to develop webpages, tools to deploy games faster, maintain said servers, DRM, a seamless interface for different OSes etc, and this is before all the extra R&D stuff Valve do in terms of market/streaming/controller support/Linux Proton etc

is it worth 30% cut? i don't know, i don't do the numbers, but neither does anyone on this forum and the general cut for retailers seems to be 30% so, you know what, imma give the benefit of the doubt to the industry standard for digital stores

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last couple of days of revived EGS discussion has me all

iu

This whole EGS discussion is an ouroboros.

I think they were more talking about that you don't need to use a launcher for any GOG games, just run the setup and it's installed like the good old days pre-launchers with no storefront/launcher/platform dependencies.
Yeah, the good ol' days of:

Install from disc media => input serial => store serial forever => keep cd in drive

or ...

search web for no CD crack => hope and pray it's not a virus => fuck it was a virus => reinstall OS => retrieve OS serial from safe place

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Am I missing something? I mean with Epic giving free games and providing $10 coupons of course consumer can spend less to get the same games. As I am a consumer, I think it is a good thing for me, no?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's true - I pretty much stopped buying PC games, and it's making me question whether I want to stick with PC at all any more.

If competition is higher and prices are lower, of course people will spend less. I feel like I'm missing something here.
Prices went up because Epic bought exclusivity and were the only place you could get the game.
Every game that went exclusive immediately cost more.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
hmm lets see a person I never heard of have claims with no cited sources.

What not to get?

Regardless who he is, there's nothing showed backing up his claims =/

You should have just looked him up and save yourself the embarassment.

Next time, click on the tweet. The profile page should have the info you need.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Pay 100 dollars for a year of origin premium and get every ea release on day one or 50-60 dollars per game. Not a tough choice.

But how well does npd cover PC digital sales anyway? On top of this usa is hardly the biggest market for PC digital as well.

Last edited: