• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.png

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the motivation is insincere, and it certainly would have been, if someone needed water and he showed up with water, someone was helped. It is the bare minimum. It is a bizarre hill to die on.
It's just as bizarre a hill to assail. Like I agree he sucks. We all know that it was only the immediate storm that was an issue for Republicans and not any meaningful means to prevent another like it in the future, so literally any help he would have offered would have been akin to Trump throwing out paper towels, something rightly mocked at the time for the absurdity. I think he's a shit politician.

Just I don't think handing out a bottle of water to people surrounded by ice is worth a trip, probably for him or the poor sap who has to deal with him. And in comparison to the scandals others have faced I find using him as an example of how Republicans won't resign is silly. Hell, Cruz himself has already done much worse what with his rhetoric during the election.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
It's just as bizarre a hill to assail. Like I agree he sucks. We all know that it was only the immediate storm that was an issue for Republicans and not any meaningful means to prevent another like it in the future, so literally any help he would have offered would have been akin to Trump throwing out paper towels, something rightly mocked at the time for the absurdity. I think he's a shit politician.

Just I don't think handing out a bottle of water to people surrounded by ice is worth a trip, probably for him or the poor sap who has to deal with him. And in comparison to the scandals others have faced I find using him as an example of how Republicans won't resign is silly. Hell, Cruz himself has already done much worse what with his rhetoric during the election.
We pay him with our taxes to help people, not go on vacation during a crisis.

If he can't even pretend to care, he shouldn't have the job.

The "he couldn't have done anything anyway" defense is horseshit and you should know better.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
We pay him with our taxes to help people, not go on vacation during a crisis.

If he can't even pretend to care, he shouldn't have the job.
Of course he shouldn't have the job! But because of shit he did before the storm, the storm's small potatoes on his BS.

This is like harping on Darth Maul for not feeding homeless in-between helping Palpatine take over the Senate.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017

AOC and Beto did a lot to help and they aren't even reps of Texas. Saying Ted Cruz couldn't do anything is not accurate

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's becoming obvious that in states that are effectively one-party systems (New York, Texas) that you can weather any press storm because who else is anyone going to vote for. This isnt a 'right wing' or 'left-wing' thing, it's systemic to the American system.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who's going to take care of Nester now?

Quadrophenic

Oct 28, 2017
I hate Ted Cruz but that's kind of nonsense. Cruz had zero real power or usefulness during the Texas storms and I don't really know that any politician would have resigned. In all practicality as far as recent minor scandals go I'd say the Governors breaking their own Covid restrictions while demanding the public stay sheltered are worse offenses. Gaetz on the other hand, this is a true shit show, if even a third of this reporting is accurate he should be toast

But really politicians are shit, this isn't just a problem on the right. You had that Kentucky or whatever Lt. Governor refuse to resign after it came out he wore blackface. Shitty Governors breaking their own restrictions. Andrew Cuomo. The left has this problem too.

The resignation thing that AOC references is in relation to the Capitol Insurrection in January, not the ice storm, I believe.

Edit:. Woops, I see you're responding to a posters call for resignation, not the AOC tweet. Nevermind

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Do these GOP fucks even do their job? Seriously, what legislation have these people put forth that actually improves lives? Do they just sit at home collecting a check while having to go in once in awhile. I just dont get what makes these stupid fucks so go damn self righteous. What worth are they to modern society? NONE!!

starcourt84

Aug 4, 2019
What is with sex trafficking and these people in positions of power? Honestly, I totally don't understand. Is there some secret underworld society of sex trafficking and what is the allure of it?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Daily mail (I know) is reporting that Greenberg flipped, that Gaetz's victim testified to a Florida grand jury, and that charges are imminent 😬

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is with sex trafficking and these people in positions of power? Honestly, I totally don't understand. Is there some secret underworld society of sex trafficking and what is the allure of it?

It's probably about power. Running for public office comes with wanting power (at least to some extent), so it's no surprise to see gross sex acts performed by politicians. Power corrupts and all that.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Haven't been following this since the first or second page so I decided to drop in to see what was happening and.....holy shit.

I've long known he was a scumbag but wow.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a member of Congress that has been straight up arrested while a part of the House?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Gaetz is the dictionary definition of a predator. Can just assume details will always get worse. What to expect from another rich fuckboi drunk on generational power and wealth from the jump?

There's not only a secret underworld, but a regular underworld, and then just the in-your-face-now regular world. When Taken came out, it was praised for shining a light on the topic. That was back in 2008 and I can only assume it's actually worse now.

Then outside Hollywood, you have this philanthropist child rapist build himself a temple on a private island. He was able to skate by for years - and that's just considering the time after his first intentionally bungled federal/state conviction.
And that 6 degrees of Epstein is insane with the diverse amount of power we're talking about, spanning the globe and regimes.

The whole thing is a shitshow. All of these past, present, and future victims deserved better than what the world has given them.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Going back to Gaetz's lone vote against the 2017 trafficking bill... like, why?

I know his public reasoning was your standard Republican talking point (i.e. "Government's too bloated already, we don't need more!" or something to that effect). But this guy is all about optics, regardless of his own silly politics, so voting for an effort to combat human trafficking just seems like a no-brainer. And I seriously doubt his vote was made as some defensive maneuver to hopefully mollify any potential future criminal investigation he may have foreseeably found himself in (I mean, c'mon, he's the only prick voting against the bill lol)...

So yeah. 'Tis just a puzzling decision, and I'm not sure why I even care enough to know the answer... But what I do know is the joy in my heart everytime I enter the forum and see this thread near the top <3

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad for the victims absued by Gaetz and his ring of sex trafficking. Hope they are alright and not scarred mentally, emotionally or physically by these freakshows.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It's a mixture of rich people being able to skirt around the law and wanting to exercise power against people lower on the societal totem pole. It's all about feeling important and in control

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It's truly astounding how Trump just taught people that you can just ride out just about any scandal. Like, that's just a thing you can do

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's truly astounding how Trump just taught people that you can just ride out just about any scandal. Like, that's just a thing you can do
Yep, just like ignoring laws and checks/balances. The next "Trump" is going to fuck us hard because he'll know that he can push things as far as he wants to go, if he's a Republican. This is why a voting rights act is so goddamn crucial.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Do these GOP fucks even do their job? Seriously, what legislation have these people put forth that actually improves lives? Do they just sit at home collecting a check while having to go in once in awhile. I just dont get what makes these stupid fucks so go damn self righteous. What worth are they to modern society? NONE!!

They're owning the Libs! What else do you want?

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not just ride it out but actually attack rather than be quiet or go on the defensive. What did he expect was going to happen after he made public accusations of extortion? That people would feel sympathy for him having done the thing he's being investigated for?

Really don't understand what the logic was behind his Fox News stint... my best, and only, guess is that he just panicked.