• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

Transcript borrowed stolen from IAmNewHereBeNice on Reddit.

Ross Douthat is crying because his girlfriend Theresa May got owned. He's whining like the simpering half-bearded toad that he is. "The old gave us Trump, the young are trying to give us Corbyn. Time to restrict the franchise to parents of under-18-year-old kids." How about we fuckin' put you in a barrel and roll you down a hill, how's that for a fuckin' idea you fuckin' tubby shithead? How's that? I got an idea, that's a good idea…I think that's a great idea, I think America would be united behind that fuckin' policy, you fuckin' worthless shithead.

I really hate Ross. A lot of people don't hate him, I hate him. I hate him deeply. I hate 'em all, I really do, I hate the trad-caths…my hate is pure, in the Alexander Cockburn sense, I really do hate them all. I can't not hate them. Like, I look at them, I read them, and I don't feel that kind of like "oh, this guy's funny cause he's stupid", I just, I hate 'em. Maybe that's bad, I shouldn't hate them, maybe that proves that there's some sort of dark heart within me, y'know…I'm like Lenin, y'know, give me control of the state and I'm going to start doing purges, and, y'know, creating the fuckin' cheka…but I don't think that's true, these people do genuine harm to the world, and me wanting to kill them, or at least see them deeply humiliated, is me standing up for humanity. I think…I hope.

I mean, we should all have a chance, y'know…people suck, but the people, we all deserve a chance to suck. We all deserve a chance. Because we get pulled out of nothing. We get pulled out of the ether, into consciousness that we did not ask for, and that is not under our control. We are given facilities and abilities that are also not within our control. And then we are set loose in a world where we are going to have a very brief finite amount of time to love, and be loved, and to experience, and to think, and to exist, before that's snuffed out. And that is something that every single one of us shares. That is a unifying human experience. That's all we have. We have this brief moment, where we are called out of nothingness, for a fucking microsecond in the span of existence. We're called into being, without our consent, we're given abilities that we don't have any fucking choice over, and we're all unified by that. And since we all share that, can't we make it a fucking world where everybody who is essentially…I mean I don't want to get too Schopenhauer-y, but, y'know…cursed with that burden of consciousness, can at least experience as much richness, and love, and safety and security, as anybody else?

Like, how can you look at someone, who didn't choose to be born, who did not choose their abilities and facilities in this world, and say "you deserve nothing but pain and torment until a horrible death. And I deserve everything. I deserve riches and I deserve greatness and I deserve comfort, for things that I similarly had no choice in. Had no influence in. I am a winner of a genetic lottery, and as a result of that, I should have everything and you should have nothing. And the difference between us is the flip of a fucking coin." That is the monstrousness that I can't abide! To think that there are people in this world who accept that, and think that's how it should be! That you should condemn people, in millions, and billions, to torment, and agony, and death, and fear, and loneliness, because you need to have everything, because you were born with everything! The vile maxim…the vile maxim…Adam Smith's vile fucking maxim. ["All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind." — Adam Smith]

And it's hard to confront, because it is so monstrous, and so evil, but it's something that your neighbors believe, that your parents believe, that your loved ones believe. It's something that people accept as just the way it is. That is what life is. You're shot out of oblivion, into consciousness, and you will either be cursed or blessed based on the whims of genes and geography. And that is that. And the people who say that that is that are of course the people who "achieved" the extraordinary beneficence of luck, and decide that they're going to ascribe that into the universe, and turn that into an un-mutable truth. But it can't be like that. It doesn't have to. We have it in our power to make it different. And maybe we won't. Maybe we'll keep burning carbon and killing each other until we all just cook in our own fuckin' juices. Or maybe we'll break outside of our bubbles of fear and distrust, to accept common humanity, and embrace the burden of that, but also the absolute liberation, the liberation from fear. 'Cause like, those alt-right cocksuckers who want to live in a world of racial holy war, the world that they imagine is a nightmare realm, where you can never be safe, you can never feel secure, you can never feel love, because you're under constant siege. It's a nightmare! But a world of solidarity, a world where every life that is brought into being without its consent, given facilities and abilities without their choice, can live surrounded by safety and love, instead of misery. That's a world we can have.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Matt is second best Chapo, Felix being the first.

Everyone on Era should get into Chapo.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That is...strangely poignant and beautiful.

Oct 28, 2017
vfVgXA6.jpg

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand seeing this as beautiful, a good thing. or any sort of recommendation for the trash that is Chapo Trap House.
I'm like Lenin, y'know, give me control of the state and I'm going to start doing purges, and, y'know, creating the fuckin' cheka…but I don't think that's true, these people do genuine harm to the world, and me wanting to kill them, or at least see them deeply humiliated, is me standing up for humanity.

This is precisely the reason why Chapo sucks. (and also why their subreddit is on thin ice re: advocating violence.) He actively wants to harm or humiliate his political enemies. He is not denying this, he is openly admitting to it.

He gets angry at Douhat because Douhat believes Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn are awful. This should not be a controversial opinion - both have well-documented issues. But to him, rejection of a guy like Corbyn is tantamount to blasphemy, and sets him off on this rant about how much he hates Douhat and how he wants to see him purged from the planet or humiliated. That is the base impulse that is driving his motivations here. He talks about a "racial holy war" but this guy wants to have a different kind of holy war where the non-believers are all forced to bow before his ideology.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Are CTH always so uncritical of Corbyn? I'm only familiar with the show through guest spots on Talking Simpsons but the quote in the OP comes across as insufferable.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand seeing this as beautiful, a good thing. or any sort of recommendation for the trash that is Chapo Trap House.

This is precisely the reason why Chapo sucks. (and also why their subreddit is on thin ice re: advocating violence.) He actively wants to harm or humiliate his political enemies. He is not denying this, he is openly admitting to it.

He gets angry at Douhat because Douhat believes Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn are awful. This should not be a controversial opinion - both have well-documented issues. But to him, rejection of a guy like Corbyn is tantamount to blasphemy, and sets him off on this rant about how much he hates Douhat and how he wants to see him purged from the planet or humiliated. That is the base impulse that is driving his motivations here. He talks about a "racial holy war" but this guy wants to have a different kind of holy war where the non-believers are all forced to bow before his ideology.

Damn dude relax

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Repeatedly antagonizing other members
Don't think anyone talking about 'purging' political opponents is worth listening to.
Libshit opnions like this is one of the reasons we're fucked until it gets so bad that actual revolutions have to happen.

People they rail against already advocate for violence and cause it with their policies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm relaxed. I'm just reading this and reacting in horror as he's openly expressing that he's motivated by a desire to harm and humiliate his political opponents and am surprised that people are just glossing over what he's revealing in those opening two paragraphs.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Libshit opnions like this is one of the reasons we're fucked until it gets so bad that actual revolutions have to happen.

People they rail against already advocate for violence and cause it with their policies.

Get out there and revolt then dude, nobody here's stopping you.

Ms. Virion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Hoosier Wasteland

Firstly, wow. Rude.

Secondly I'm sorry, but I'm not going to submit to the idea of genocide against people who aren't politically pure enough. If that makes my opinion 'libshit' so be it.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kirblar got in this thread with the quickness, apparently not content with the last time they owned themselves in a thread about a leftist podcast.

hey it sounds like you've listened to Chapo Trap House. ;)

Chapo's main brand is catharsis, they're not as insightful as genuine news discussion podcasts like Citations Needed but they are specifically a strike back at the notion that politics still has to be polite when your leaders are locking children in concentration camps. They're mainly focused on the parasocial aspect of it, a way to ensure leftists don't feel utterly alone in their ideologies. And it helps that they're genuinely very funny.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster

Do you take everything a drunk fuck says seriously?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

lmfao. Thanks, can always use a good laugh

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA

Hey look who it is coming in to ruin the fun!

Come educate us on proper responses toward violence.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Firstly, wow. Rude.

Secondly I'm sorry, but I'm not going to submit to the idea of genocide against people who aren't politically pure enough. If that makes my opinion 'libshit' so be it.
I don't believe in decorum or pleasantries when we have to deal with real issues that arise from people wanting to enstate policies that directly harm people of certain backgrounds, nationalities, genders and so on. I think said people are being visited violence upon and think they have the right to defend themselves and return violence in kind. Obviously I'm not gonna advocate for it on Era since it's against the rules but I don't frown upon it when I see it happen.

Era is full of libshits who think being "human", being better then them and so on (as in not being a dick to dead war criminals or republicans and such to give you a few examples) and thinking that we should all be kind and nice when we debate reprehensible people or talk about them.

If I accidently mischaracterized you as one of those people I apologize.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. We're at a point where states are rushing out laws to ban abortion and overturn Roe v. Wade. On top of that, our healthcare system is shit, people arent being paid enough to live, social services are being cut. People are dying because they are pushed out for being poor. The rich are getting away with murder since its not a direct link, but a by product of all these laws they are pushing. They know it hurts people. There is violence happening on americans and people dont see it, because its not obvious like a punch in the face is.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Right, that settles it. I'm off to make a career out of drunkenly ranting about how we're all just, like, people, yeah?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, how can you look at someone, who didn't choose to be born, who did not choose their abilities and facilities in this world, and say "you deserve nothing but pain and torment until a horrible death. And I deserve everything. I deserve riches and I deserve greatness and I deserve comfort, for things that I similarly had no choice in. Had no influence in. I am a winner of a genetic lottery, and as a result of that, I should have everything and you should have nothing. And the difference between us is the flip of a fucking coin." That is the monstrousness that I can't abide! To think that there are people in this world who accept that, and think that's how it should be! That you should condemn people, in millions, and billions, to torment, and agony, and death, and fear, and loneliness, because you need to have everything, because you were born with everything!

This is the absolute truth.

If you are too chickenshit to stand up to evil, actual evil, with your fists balled up and ready to fight, I don't think there's any hope for you. And if most everyone is like you, "better things aren't possible", then I'm afraid for our nation, and our world.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i mean he could be talking about any republican/conservative. and duh, that's not really insightful but obvious. just really in-your-face about it, which is cool. wish more people had that energy.

and yes, fuck decorum and all that shit. such timidity in the face of outright evil is indeed enraging.

Oct 27, 2017

Bring it down a notch, Chuckles. Noone cares that you're a charter member of the 101st Chairborne.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018

If you are too chickenshit to stand up to evil, actual evil, with your fists balled up and ready to fight, I don't think there's any hope for you. And if most everyone is like you, "better things aren't possible", then I'm afraid for our nation, and our world.

Get out there and kill some rich dudes then my guy.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not talking about actual evil. He's set off on a rant about how much he hates someone and wants to harm and humiliate them because the other guy doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn, The motivation isn't about fighting evil, it's about a desire for dominance.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This notion that violence is somehow abhorrent and should never be used is so infuriating, when your opponents use it every fucking day against you.

Black people suffering at the hands of law enforcement and the justice system is violence.
People dying from lack of healthcare is violence.
People losing their jobs and homes is violence.
Condemning people to a life of debt and wage slavery is violence.
Women dying from back-alley abortions is violence.
Destroying the fucking planet, is violence.

Conservatives are literally and actively killing off poor people and ruining the earth for profit. If ruining billions of lives is somehow more acceptable to you than an emotional response by the common man, maybe rethink your priorities.

"THERE were two "Reigns of Terror," if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the "horrors" of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break?

What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves."
-Mark Twain

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*children being kidnapped from parents*
*abortion rights being stripped away*
*neo-nazis marching in the streets and KILLING people*

"I am in HORROR at the thought of wanting to harm and/or humilate our political opponents!"

We're fucking doomed, man.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's not talking about actual evil. He's set off on a rant about how much he hates someone and wants to harm and humiliate them because the other guy doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn, The motivation isn't about fighting evil, it's about a desire for dominance.

Oh come on. I know you're better at interpreting context and intention than that

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we can't humiliate and attack our enemies then WTF are we doing?

They are our enemies. In what universe are you kind or not immediately driven to humiliate your enemies in the field of choice?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

But they aren't fighting. It's toothless rants made to appease themselves, and their fanbase, who feel frustrated. It's useful and cathartic, but I wouldn't call it fighting or revolutionary. It's a very safe thing to do as opposed to fighting through the ballotbox or with bullets.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does Kirblar have a script that alerts him to every thread with 'Chapo' in the title?

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everyone should participate; buy a 12 pack, sit in front of a crappy laptop camera and just goooooo... after gulping the 12 beers of your choice, obv.

Status
Not open for further replies.