• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
For everyone thinking it won't be that much of a difference, because "games are scaleable, they can just scale them up just like on PC", let's think about some of the best looking last gen games.

The Last of Us is commonly listed among these. And conveniently enough, it actually was upgraded for PS4 as well. So, is The Last of Us on PS4 comparable to a current-gen only game? I think that's a clear no. There's a huge difference between TLoU 1 and 2, because 2 was built for the PS4, not for a weaker system and then "upgraded".

Same with Uncharted 3. Is U3 on PS4 equivalent to Uncharted 4?

Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1/V?

GTA4 and RDR2?

Resolutions and framerates are scalable, yes. Core game design and assets, not so much.

If it's true that MS's games are cross-gen while Sony's are next-gen only, there is going to be a pretty stark contrast in graphics, scale, and design only possible with new features like the SSD.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This really won't matter because games scale well on PC but I've already read a lot of concern

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
It's not that simple in some cases.

Sure the next Forza will be scalable but a game that is developed to use a SSD (like the next Spider Man) can't just scale it down for the HDD users in the back

Spider Mans momvement speed in the PS4 game is maxed out as it is because that is the fastest they could make the old HDDs work. WIth the PS5 SSD they could let Spider Man speed through the entire city in a few seconds and the system wouldn't lag or load textures. Pop-in is a problem when the hardware can't give the engine what it wants fast enough.

If we now take MS plan to use the Xbox One as the baseline for the first 2-3 years developers can't create ingame systems (as movement speed) that would make the old systems choke and lag.

Star WArs: Fallen Order shows exactly what's in store for the users if the game can't load assets fast enough.

You can't scale everything down without changing the ingame systems. Except you want Spider Man to be slow on the old hardware and super fast on the next gen systems...

I get your point but we're talking about MS exclusives here. They spend much more time optimizing for xbox than a third party game.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't understand why are they telling this now? Why not wait for the E3, let the new Games wow people and talk about all of this short before the release of the new console?

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good to me, I have no plans on upgrading from the One X. All in on the PS5/PSVR2.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 month): trolling and platform warring, a long history of similar behavior
So, should PC games abandon GTX1060 and below? Abandoning the previous gen is an old console idea that is fortunately DEAD.

When games start running poorly enough on the old consoles, people will buy a new console, the software sales on the old console will decrease to the point the developers can move to a newer baseline. It just makes the move to next gen smoother and not as disruptive.
Dead lol? It will be done by Sony with the PS5 and they will be vastly more successful than Microsoft with their new no exclusives approach. That much I can guarantee you.

Nov 11, 2017
For everyone thinking it won't be that much of a difference, because "games are scaleable, they can just scale them up just like on PC", let's think about some of the best looking last gen games.

The Last of Us is commonly listed among these. And conveniently enough, it actually was upgraded for PS4 as well. So, is The Last of Us on PS4 comparable to a current-gen only game? I think that's a clear no. There's a huge difference between TLoU 1 and 2, because 2 was built for the PS4, not for a weaker system and then "upgraded".

GTA4 and RDR2?

Resolutions and framerates are scalable, yes. Core game design and assets, not so much.
You comparing games that were later ported to the former system not scaled down to the former.

Better examples would be forza horizon 2, tomb raider, sea of thieves( minimum pc specs) etc.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Poor Digital Foundry, next gen is gonna kill them :(

I guess this doesn't matter unless Sony's exclusives are clearly more impressive, which I guess is possible since they can take full advantage of the SSD and CPU.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing this statement on the forum and I'm genuinely confused by it. Especially when the context is specifically about XBOX releasing new hardware?

It seems pretty obvious, does it not? If the focus is on selling hardware, then your first party software goes on the new system and that's it. If selling software is the focus, then you put it on as many platforms as you can. It's why they'll be supporting the One for a couple more years, it's why their exclusives are on PC, it's why they've embraced Steam, and it's why they've prepared Xcloud to run on multiple devices. People here will thump their chests because their favorite box will hit the market and sell like hot cakes, but the reality is that Microsoft doesn't have to sell as much hardware when they have software available everywhere.

To take this a step further, it's why they're pretty much out of the hardware game altogether, aside from Xbox and Surface products.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

GTA4 and RDR2?

Which of those examples you cited came out in the first two years of their respective consoles? I don't think any of them did.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Makes the transition to the next generation easy for their customer base. When their azure blades have scarlett level hardware in them, that's a path that they will give users to start migrating to Scarlett only gaming on gamepass until they have a series s/x or they continue to just stream.

Also, not worried about developers not taking full advantage of next-gen hardware...cuz it takes years for them to do that anyways...always been the case and will continue to be the case. 2022 will be when we see them take advantage and also when the exclusives will start.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Interesting thought it was never coming to xbox.

Counterplay Games is an independent video game studio based in California. Our next title is GODFALL, a modern fantasy action RPG.
Exclusive to PlayStation 5 & PC for Holiday 2020.

They make this point on the counterplay website which previously held the statement " Making Godfall for next Gen Systems"

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It does feel like Xbox is taking a wanting it all approach.

Cheaper version to get price advantage over PS5, premium version to be more powerful than PS5, no exclusives for 2 years so they still sell copies to existing Xbox One owners.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This strategy shows what we already knows : Nintendo, Microsoft and SONY have all different objectives and noone is really against each others.
By doing that, MS is trying to kill "generation of consoles" and we will see a lot of Xbox Series in the next 10 years.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt sony does it, they don't seem to have the same mature dev environment that allows scalability across multiple devices . MS dev profiles already scale across pc and xbox , if it's viable and makes sense I see zero issues with them continuing to support hard working customers. If it compromise a games vision that's another discussion.

But that's exactly the discussion we're having right now.

Nobody has a problem with a scalable game to be scaled down for the old hardware.

But MS is saying all of their games in the first 2 years won't be allowed to go beyond what the old systems can take. The games vision doesn't seem to be the priority here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

GTA4 and RDR2?

If it's true that MS's games are cross-gen while Sony's are next-gen only, there is going to be a pretty stark contrast in graphics, scale, and design only possible with new features like the SSD.
The Last of Us was a PS3 game that never took PS4 into consideration, though. It's not the same case at all.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I just hope that a single version of the game works for both generation of console. Assuming with gamepass it will but I don't know if it would with physical/ digital purchase.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Well that fucking sucks.

On the bright side a new KI not being announced yet I guess is a good thing now..maybe theyre waiting a year or two cause it'll be Series X exclusive.

#GlassHalfFull

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Hopefully Sony doesn't follow suit. It's those exceptionally crafted ps5 exclusives that make use of the full power of the console that I want to see. Anything other than that makes the next gen useless.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The funny thing is that the same levels of concern happened on the old forum when they announced that Forza Horizon 2 was going to be on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and people were """"""concerned"""""" that the Xbox one wasn't going to be taken advantage of, and what happened? When the game came out no one mentioned the concern again. Funny how that happens, this feels like deja vu

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I just hope that a single version of the game works for both generation of console. Assuming with gamepass it will but I don't know if it would with physical/ digital purchase.
That's what I want to know. I think they will since it's their games, not sure if third parties will do this though. I can't see it working any other way on gamepass? Maybe 2 versions of the same game show up?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I can't think of a single console launch that hasn't launched with an exclusive showpiece game.

I'm having a hard time naming a showpiece game for the PS4/XB1 launch. Like yeah there is Ryse and Killzone Shadowfall, but neither one was critically acclaimed nor sold all that well. Black Flag, probably my favorite game of any released in that launch window obviously was cross gen.

Hell the best PS4/XB1 launch exclusive was Killer Instinct and that was F2P!

I'm guessing your idea of a showpiece game is probably different from mine though.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that the same levels of concern happened on the old forum when they announced that Forza Horizon 2 was going to be on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and people were """"""concerned"""""" that the Xbox one wasn't going to be taken advantage of, and what happened? When the game came out no one mentioned the concern again. Funny how that happens, this feels like deja v

To be fair FH2 on 360 is a completly seprate game made by another developer.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems pretty obvious, does it not? If the focus is on selling hardware, then your first party software goes on the new system and that's it. If selling software is the focus, then you put it on as many platforms as you can. It's why they'll be supporting the One for a couple more years, it's why their exclusives are on PC, it's why they've embraced Steam, and it's why they've prepared Xcloud to run on multiple devices. People here will thump their chests because their favorite box will hit the market and sell like hot cakes, but the reality is that Microsoft doesn't have to sell as much hardware when they have software available everywhere.

To take this a step further, it's why they're pretty much out of the hardware game altogether, aside from Xbox and Surface products.

I understand your point about their approach. Exclusives everywhere, embrace Steam, xcloud on multiple devices etc etc but I still don't understand the introduction of new hardware when XBOX gamers themselves are convinced Microsoft are no longer invested in hardware. Surely as much as it's dimissed there must be some point to it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm having a hard time naming a showpiece game for the PS4/XB1 launch. Like yeah there is Ryse and Killzone Shadowfall, but neither one was critically acclaimed nor sold all that well. Black Flag, probably my favorite game of any released in that launch window obviously was cross gen.

Hell the best PS4/XB1 launch exclusive was Killer Instinct and that was F2P!

I'm guessing your idea of a showpiece game is probably different from mine though.
Wasn;t infamous a launch title for PS4? I don't remember when it was released but it was the first time I thought "wow this is next gen" at the time

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So much negativity in here, but did we forget about scaling techniques? I don't think we should worry at all.

That being said, does this rule out Fable coming out anytime soon after XSX releases?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

GTA4 and RDR2?

It's not a fair comparison. You're comparing last gen games to games that came out deep into this console lifecycle.

A fairer comparison would be to compare last gen's final year games to games that came out in the first year or two of this console lifecycle. There, I think you'll find there isn't as much of a gameplay difference. Sure, you have a game like Ryse at launch, but in reality, that game wasn't too hot when it comes to gameplay and focused almost entirely on graphical presentation. The generation took a year or two to get off the ground and give us the types of games we have come to expect from current gen hardware. Nothing in the first year, especially, felt significantly unachievable on previous gen hardware from a gameplay perspective. Of course the games were prettier though.

Resogun, for example, was cool. But not "omg the power of PS4" cool.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Well that's cool
I am Game Pass sub for 3 years so if I can play those exclusives on Xbox One, that's great

Series X could wait a few months then