• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
MS could easily be the default console when they acquire enough studios especially big ones like Sega, Ubisoft, Capcom, Square etc

I think they'll be in a very different place by the end of the gen, basically the industry leader,

I don't mean this as an attack or anything but this is the kind of mindset I don't understand. Obviously this is pie in the sky type stuff and I don't think anyone is really expecting Microsoft to acquire all of those companies you mentioned, but theoretically if they did there's no way that it isn't awful for the game's industry. The best thing about Gamepass is that it's consumer friendly, if Microsoft get to the level of dominance you're proposing then it's not going to stay that way.

Like, I know with things like Gamepass and backwards combability and what not it can be easy to see Microsoft as the 'good guys' but we're literally talking about a company that has been sued by the US and the EU for monopolistic practices.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean this as an attack or anything but this is the kind of mindset I don't understand. Obviously this is pie in the sky type stuff and I don't think anyone is really expecting Microsoft to acquire all of those companies you mentioned, but theoretically if they did there's no way that it isn't awful for the game's industry. The best thing about Gamepass is that it's consumer friendly, if Microsoft get to the level of dominance you're proposing then it's not going to stay that way.

Like, I know with things like Gamepass and backwards combability and what not it can be easy to see Microsoft as the 'good guys' but we're literally talking about a company that has been sued by the US and the EU for monopolistic practices.

Having most studios under one console seems fine to me, game pass or otherwise.

Buying Bethesda was the best PR Xbox has had since Forza Horizon 4 launched.

They will absolutely be looking to repeat it by buying more major studios, it's better people prepare for that inevitability now.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Enough with this absurd argument. Games could be on GP even if MS didn't buy the studio. This is shallow PR nonsense to encourage you to cheerlead for corporate buyouts.

Booty has laid out the MS strategy for providing continued and varied content on Gamepass.

If you want to explore absurd arguments, look at those that are claiming that MS is close to achieving a monopoly on content....

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Booty has laid out the MS strategy for providing continued and varied content on Gamepass.

If you want to explore absurd arguments, look at those that are claiming that MS is close to achieving a monopoly on content....
They have a monopoly on western RPGs - the authorities should investigate.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Sony definitely won't be the market leader in the future when Microsoft has double the amount of teams they have. If Microsoft doesn't sell more Xbox consoles by the end of the decade than Sony sells PlayStation consoles all while also having one hell of a dominant position in the subscription market I'll be shocked.

Sony has a huge margin already on the PS5 and it's not slowing down. The gap they created with the PS4 means only another gigantic debacle will slow them down. Microsoft has all but conceded the console race, which is one of many reasons why they've moved to focusing on other things. Also, double the teams? Come on lol, they aren't gonna have 45 teams working.

They do. This absurd narrative that MS only buys studios while Sony only builds studios needs to stop.

Insomniac literally released a game like yesterday lmao.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The incredible arcade back catalogue and MD/Genesis - DC era titles might actually get revived and see a new stream of interest on Game Pass? Sony have no interest in legacy support so it'd be wasted there.

Imagine the likes of AM2 with actual funds and backing.

That's a quite an assumption to make. Feels like people are just hoping for studios to get bought up which will magically will dormant I.Ps and franchises into existence. I mean it could, but that's overestimating what Xbox is willing to invest in.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm onboard!

I don't have a problem with companies wanting to sell and other companies buying them. I also like that GamePass gets more day one content and sweetens and already great service.

Sep 7, 2020
Sony has a huge margin already on the PS5 and it's not slowing down. The gap they created with the PS4 means only another gigantic debacle will slow them down. Microsoft has all but conceded the console race, which is one of many reasons why they've moved to focusing on other things. Also, double the teams? Come on lol, they aren't gonna have 45 teams working.

Insomniac literally released a game like yesterday lmao.
Yeah, R&C is going to do numbers. Sony is going to release HZD2 and GOW2 which are both going to be insane and they also have the FF series on lock down. Sony is going to be fine in terms of content.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, R&C is going to do numbers. Sony is going to release HZD2 and GOW2 which are both going to be insane and they also have the FF series on lock down. Sony is going to be fine in terms of content.

My point was about Insomniac being bought, but you're right. It's a good thing too. All 3 companies are really doing well with their own thing. Sony has always been very aggressive with buying exclusivity, that won't go away. Microsoft is gonna focus on gamepass and might buy a few more studios (I highly doubt they'll buy a Bethesda size property again) to keep that content wheel churning. Nintendo will do what they always do.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Console wars
cant fucking wait for another awful conference where they just announce they bought a bunch of companies again in lieu of games again

Jan 20, 2019
Sony definitely won't be the market leader in the future when Microsoft has double the amount of teams they have. If Microsoft doesn't sell more Xbox consoles by the end of the decade than Sony sells PlayStation consoles all while also having one hell of a dominant position in the subscription market I'll be shocked.

Then prepare to be shock because not even Microsoft believes that in terms of consoles sales.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It's good to see them lifting their share of first party development, instead of not committing and at times earlier seeming like they didn't want the responsibility of game development, preferring such risks to be taken elsewhere.

They're fully committed this time and Xbox and gaming in general feels much better these days imo, because of it.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
This isn't great for gamers. MS strategy is owning all. Cool I guess? But the video game industry is looking grimmer and grimmer.

How? The studios that they will acquire in the future will no longer have to sell gangbusters or die. Almost everybody in the world with internet will be able to access their games without buying a console, people will have access to a new form of handheld gaming for their libraries, people will have to spend only a fraction of the money on gaming to enjoy it compared to now.

Embrace your future. It is coming for you!

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
They do. This absurd narrative that MS only buys studios while Sony only builds studios needs to stop.

MUw9P0y.jpg

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Corporate consolidation sucks. Doesn't matter if it means games don't have to leave Gamepass. It sucks all around.

Also, Microsoft has over 20 studios now. How about any one of them puts out a good first-party game before they think about more acquisitions?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Corporate consolidation sucks. Doesn't matter if it means games don't have to leave Gamepass. It sucks all around.

Also, Microsoft has over 20 studios now. How about any one of them puts out a good first-party game before they think about more acquisitions?
Growing first party and developing games are not mutually exclusive.

Consolidation is also part and parcel of gaming. It is how every major publisher has grown.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
The industry will be fine lol?

is it going to be, tho?
How? The studios that they will acquire in the future will no longer have to sell gangbusters or die. Almost everybody in the world with internet will be able to access their games without buying a console, people will have access to a new form of handheld gaming for their libraries, people will have to spend only a fraction of the money on gaming to enjoy it compared to now.

Do you really think that Video Games could be like this in the future? If yes? That would be awesome.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think people are a bit naive to assume that Game Pass means Microsoft won't still have targets that need to be met by their studios. Reminds me of how everyone used to beg Netflix to save cancelled network shows and now Netflix is notorious for cancelling shows.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
This type of crap turns me off from supporting things like game pass if I were forced to buy their platform because they bought a studio I liked.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

They will have new metrics to evaluate success tho...

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
This isn't great for gamers. MS strategy is owning all. Cool I guess? But the video game industry is looking grimmer and grimmer.

All corps want to own it all.

What you think Sony wants to do? You think that they are satisfied with their position?

The fallacy here is that MS is approaching a monopoly. They are not. Sony and the PS brand is the runaway leader in this space. The IP that they possess is remarkable.

MS is doing what they are doing to remain relevant in this space, and is integral to the survival of Gamepass. It sometimes feels like some people want MS to roll over and die. They are simply doing what they need to do.