• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

This has probably been reinforced by the recent release of FH5, which set a new launch month sales record for the Forza franchise despite releasing day one in Game Pass :

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
But the UK boxed retail sales said FH5 was a massive step down from FH4 🤣.

Awesome to see PG continue to get rewarded with FH5.

Of course subs can help sales lol. Having a millions of people talk about and praise your game is WOM marketing companies strive for.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Data suggests the sky is blue. Subject to change, but for now, the numbers hold.

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
That's awesome to hear. Only thing I'm tired of is being told this but not actually seeing the data.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Gamepass saves me money so that I can spend it elsewhere. So it makes sense. My only issue then becomes time.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Expected.

To me Gamepass is a revolution in it's own right, specially in the age of $70 games.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But is it legal. Thats the real question
7dxozx0m9v021.gif

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Yeah, I'd say outside of the Xbox first party stuff this year, everything I played on Gamepass I would never have paid for, and a lot of it I loved enough to convince some friends to get it. Even Psychonauts, which ended up being my GOTY, I don't think I'd have played the first in anticipation of the second if I didn't know I'd get to play it day one as part of my sub.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Really do think Game Pass is lowering the barrier to more niche content for a lot of people. Hopefully it continues to grow but who knows, maybe in 10-15 years people who grew up with Game Pass will have a much more diverse preference for games than current gamers who play COD and sports games.

Siam Shade

Jun 1, 2018
I can relate. With the increasing gaming prices and the fact the some countries are doing poorly than others (mine included on the 'really poorly'), Game Pass is a way to maintain the hobby with responsability.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I remember when people laughed at the notion that Game Pass could help sales on all platforms, not just Xbox.

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
This dude is a hardcore Xbox hater. Plenty of tweets are anti-MS so it doesn't surprise me that he insist on arguing against facts.

He literally runs an industry-focused website and has access to data that you don't. Calling him a hater because he doesn't say what you want to hear it's completely stupid on your part.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Some folks see this success as an attack on being able to buy games in an unknown amount of years.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
SteamDB has Forza Horizon 5 between 1 and 2.5 million users based on their review estimate.

That's a lot of $60 day-one customers on Steam compared to Forza Horizon 4 which didn't launch on Steam day one. So not surprised it beat the last entry when you add that to Xbox purchases.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
But is it legal. Thats the real question

But is it a dead meme beaten into the ground that lost any kind of humor a long time ago? That's a good question too.

But seriously, it does very well and it's a good alternative to others. It's a good thing to have in the market and not everyone needs to do it either. This works for MS and the people that pay into it. I'm someone who will still more than likely buy games on Steam, but that's also because the Xbox App/WinStore is straight shit.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have Sony trying to throw something together to get in on this for a reason. MS had a hunch on where the industry may go and invested hard, none of it follows conventional thinking and seems to be paying off. I do think the age of console exclusivity is coming to an end and we'll be looking at eco systems moving forward (sub services cannot grow on consoles alone).

I mean, show me the numbers.

I don't wanna come off that way, but FH5 is a big hit, we knwo that. But I'd like to see numbers more, like Nintendo does.
You can see them if you have access to NPD, the data is available. Matt is reporting on what these companies are seeing on their screens (NPD report). MS rarely speak about numbers even when they're superb. We got an update about FH5 unique player count but they haven't broadcast sales numbers despite setting new sales record for the franchise. I take this as sales numbers not being the metric they seem to prioritise like other companies.

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Still not sure I fully understand the dynamics at play here to be honest. I get the idea that the low barrier for entry creates "water coolers" (urgh) around specific releases which amplifies interest, but I just can't compute the idea that, say, Sony put Marvel's Spider-Man 2 on PS Plus or Nintendo put Breath of the Wild 2 on NSO, the idea that these games would sell more at full-price as a result just doesn't make sense to me.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Still not sure I fully understand the dynamics at play here to be honest. I get the idea that the low barrier for entry creates "water coolers" (urgh) around specific releases which amplifies interest, but I just can't compute the idea that, say, Sony put Marvel's Spider-Man 2 on PS Plus or Nintendo put Breath of the Wild 2 on NSO, the idea that these games would sell more at full-price as a result just doesn't make sense to me.

I think a big differentiator in effecting sales will be 1st vs 3rd party for one. 3rd party being temporary is going to spur discounted buying at some point on GP. Or a discounted purchase over on Steam if you're a PC user most of the time since many do not like the current GP application.

However, 1st party can still get a boost by GP subs just playing and talking about it. "Trending" is still a powerful marketing tool to have people check a game out, be it from friends, twitch, media, etc... I do agree though that the already "must have" hits for any platform are probably a more challenging discussion, but you at the same time cannot leave it off the Game Pass platform. In short, take a hit on the sales of your big heavy hitters with increased sales on your 2nd tier games, 3rd party, and most importantly that wonderful re-occurring subscription revenue that investors love more than anything. Most likely that is a big net positive.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Subs don't stop me from buying the games I'd normally buy.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

If the majority of users in a system are on the subscription service, then no, it probably doesn't add up. Especially with true console exclusives. But Game Pass is nowhere near that point yet.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, show me the numbers.

I don't wanna come off that way, but FH5 is a big hit, we knwo that. But I'd like to see numbers more, like Nintendo does.
Nintendo only cares about sales and report as such. Microsoft cares about players because at the end of the day, every one of them is paying for it somehow. They routinely give updates to those numbers.

Zep

Banned
Jul 12, 2021
It was like pulling teeth to get a few I know to pay $15 for Deaths door… And not being on gamepass was the excuse for why they wouldn't purchase it. Amazing reviews be damned. I've seen a few people here be the same way. I'm just glad the data shows this isn't an overall sentiment.
Subs don't stop me from buying the games I'd normally buy.