• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Hear that been used to describe various foods from a multitude of cultures here in London, and I've had a few dirty curries in my life being a Desi.

Still, in her position, she should have shown more tact.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I can see this happening with people thinking there is nothing wrong about it because it is the UK. I have some UK friends who I got in an argument with because they think it's wholly acceptable to use the work "chink" or to say "lets go get some chinkys" if they want Chinese food. Their excuse was that they don't really have Chinese people where they live and it is just slang so no harm no foul.
I won't say the word but that is actually considered racist and if you said that in a work place you'd be told off. Same with the P word to describe a corner shop.

Dirty just means it's OTT/Junk/something you'd eat when drunk.

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone having a hard time getting their head around using "dirty" to describe food, think of it like "junk" in junk food - fast food you know is calorific or unhealthy but like to indulge in anyway.

That said, I don't think I've ever heard it used to refer to Chinese food and, even if it was common, this is an example of why you should consider the multiple potential meanings of your words.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I'll also point out that growing up near Rochester, "garbage plate" is a thing in the US:

www.thespruceeats.com

American Main Dish Recipes

From all-American meatloaf to creamy casseroles, these main dish recipes will help get you out of your next meal-planning rut.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
But it does. You can't single out one usage of dirty as a food descriptor because it goes against the point you're trying to make.
Dirty rice is literally called dirty rice. The food she's calling dirty has no such descriptor, which is why some people are upset about. Not remotely the same situation.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The term "dirty" may be common in the UK, but "dirty" has been used for years a a slur against Chinese immigrants.
She is a UK contestant, taking part in a UK competition, with an intended audience made up of people from the UK.

With that being said, people have taken offence, and a reasonable explanation is probably warranted as a result. As I said, it's a nuanced issue, none of which is in any way apparent from your posts.
Whether intentional or not, calling Asian food as "dirty" is pretty irresponsible now, considering that there are numerous attacks against Asian claiming they're responsible for spreading COVID because of their lack of hygiene.
Irresponsible how? What damage does talking about dirty food to an audience who knows what that means actually do?

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dirty food is that time I put McDonald's fries in a Taco Bell taco and then put said taco on top of a slice of Little Caesar's pizza.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's British, I hear people call all types of food 'dirty', usually fast food - as in 'let's go and get some dirty chips'. Not a word I've ever used before but it's common enough in that I can give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't mean to use it in a shitty way.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'm much more critical of the tagline, "Dirty food refined". That gets my side eye.
Yeah people saying the international community is being unreasonable for not getting UK slang but when you see hashtags like #prettydirtyfood like what are you supposed to think (nevermind the history of asian food being heavily stigmatized as unhealthy/dirty)?

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Is she a famous person or something? Don't know why people need to get up in arms, seems she got the messaged.

Keekon

Mar 30, 2019
UK here. Definitely gone for dirty burger before. Dirty is well established slang for indulgent food over here and doesn't carry racial connotations in this context. People need to chill with this.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I can see this happening with people thinking there is nothing wrong about it because it is the UK. I have some UK friends who I got in an argument with because they think it's wholly acceptable to use the work "chink" or to say "lets go get some chinkys" if they want Chinese food. Their excuse was that they don't really have Chinese people where they live and it is just slang so no harm no foul.
It's not acceptable in the UK to use the word "chinks", it's a derogatory term over here, your friends are just being racist and lying to you to cover their tracks

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hear that been used to describe various foods from a multitude of cultures here in London, and I've had a few dirty curries in my life being a Desi.

Still, in her position, she should have shown more tact.
That's the word, tact.

I understand her use of the word "dirty" as in comforting junk food, but it's social media - you need to think about how you use language.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know it's all just racist nonsense not beholden to reason, but what gets me about this rhetoric is that it implies western food somehow isn't dirty. UK and US cuisine is disgusting, but these scum wouldn't consider it "dirty"
I don't know if dirty matters, but UK food is trash. The worst of any country I've been to. Definition of basic bitch shit.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that hypothetical follows any logic.
It's more like someone in the UK using the word "oriental", which to my understanding is not offensive.
It'd be like "Chinky" food refined following the N word logic which is considered to be racist and generally not used by people who are civilised. The people that do use it are the kind that go "Political correctness has gone too far" Err nah, you're just a bit of a prick.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
People wanna get offended by anything these days. Even some people in this thread are pathetic straight jumping to attack mode. Dirty food is a term used just like junk food. Why isn't anyone offended by the word junk in food?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm going out for a dirty burger."

Who the fuck says that?
I've heard it used before. Usually for messy things. It's also used outside of food for music "dirty bass", "dirty beat", "dirty lick". It's common enough.

I personally use "murder burgers" for the likes of White Castle & sliders.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I can maybe see why those outside the UK may not have heard the term but the fact alone that her bio right under that says she is from London in the UK, maybe it's just me but if I see a term and it seems to be used in a weird context for my country I would Google it to see why it was used there, dirty burger etc is a common as fuck thing in parts of the UK and elsewhere and the idea that people jump right on attacking her when she actually did have a reasonable response to tell them that they maybe didn't understand the British slang, instead they could have maybe done a Google search, saw it was in fact slang and not related to any one culture or food type and maybe moved on, I don't get why this became such a big deal, especially when a quick Google search would have shown all different foods from all different cultures and backgrounds having the same term used, including basic ass English foods. Just seems like people got offended, saw her try and explain it then got more offended as opposed to actually checking for 2 minutes online if what she says was true, which again, is true. It's a common slang word and not used as an offensive word and again used on just as much British food as it is any other type.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard it in NA and yes, often from UK-adjacent/UK folk. Unfortunate effect of global audience means sometimes things like this get lost in translation or worse in this case. I've yet to see anything from her that she knew better so she should do better, but for sure would be happy to be corrected.

Should be an easy fix and hopefully no one is crucified over this. She now knows better -- does her record suggest her being a shit person is as accurate as those not letting go seem to be saying? Outside of MasterChef, I ain't heard of her so perhaps not and maybe a little pause is needed.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory comparison. There is an issue with the way "dirty" was used here, but invoking the "N-word" is not an appropriate analogy
People taking offence from one possible use of a very common word is not at all the same as the n-word.

But, of course, you already knew that.
I didn't miss it, I've read every post in the thread. Take offense, sure. Should she use more tact? Of course.

But those two words are in no-way comparable, in any setting.
Who are you to judge that one offensive word is not as offensive as the other? We're talking about two entirely different groups of people.

Also, did you miss my original post that it doesn't have to be n-word, it can be anything.

Robin Friday

Oct 28, 2017

"chink" is a racist term whether in the uk or not, your UK friends are probably a bit racist.

"dirty" is used to describe a type of food, usually a burger or kebab, ordered at 10pm, drunk.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who are you to judge that one offensive word is not as offensive as the other? We're talking about two entirely different groups of people.
It's not a competition, but there's a weight of history and feeling behind the n-word that dirty can't even begin to match.

The first clue is that you didn't feel able to type out the n-word, of course.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can maybe see why those outside the UK may not have heard the term but the fact alone that her bio right under that says she is from London in the UK, maybe it's just me but if I see a term and it seems to be used in a weird context for my country I would Google it to see why it was used there, dirty burger etc is a common as fuck thing in parts of the UK and elsewhere and the idea that people jump right on attacking her when she actually did have a reasonable response to tell them that they maybe didn't understand the British slang, instead they could have maybe done a Google search, saw it was in fact slang and not related to any one culture or food type and maybe moved on, I don't get why this became such a big deal, especially when a quick Google search would have shown all different foods from all different cultures and backgrounds having the same term used, including basic ass English foods. Just seems like people got offended, saw her try and explain it then got more offended as opposed to actually checking for 2 minutes online if what she says was true, which again, is true. It's a common slang word and not used as an offensive word and again used on just as much British food as it is any other type.

The entire argument is basically this:

JOwvkG9.gif

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
With orientalmart.co.uk being a thing, the oxford dictionary not classifying it as offensive and wikipedia saying that the word (in the UK) "can be offensive depending on context", I don't think it's that simple. Not the thread to discuss this, I think, but I was taught that the word is usable in the UK, but not in the US.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Also, did you miss my original post that it doesn't have to be n-word, it can be anything.

When you have to avoid typing one out it's pretty clear they aren't equally offensive.