• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
Rightly or wrongly, 'dirty' is in the UK lexicon for exactly the reason she mentioned. Just because Americans in the US have not heard of it does not mean it doesn't exist.

British people. British people say this. Usually the same wankers that say 'cheeky Nandos'.

I missed the part where she was from the UK. My bad.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
hqdefault.jpg
Philadelphia Collins was the first thing I thought of as well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I have never called food dirty, even street food. Not sure what the hell she's talking about there, unless she is stomping on lettuce and selling it at a premium

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yeah there's nowt wrong with that, and I feel sorry for her if she's being attacked over this. It's just some slang not translating over, I know 100% I've referred to takeaways as dirty, including Chinese. Heard it said many a time too, it's not derogatory in the slightest. This just needs cleared up, I get what she means when she says 'dirty food refined'.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tricky one. It's a totally valid phrasing over here, and I don't think there was any ill intent whatsoever, but I don't think her getting defensive was the right call either.

With that said, the framing in this OP is garbage. It is a way more nuanced issue, and referring to dirty food is in no way condemnatory, or even a criticism.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yeah, It's an unfortunate use of a term, particularly 'branding' but she's not wrong.

www.theguardian.com

The dirty barbecue – awesome steaks made simple

You don’t need a barbecue this summer. Be brave, says Neil Rankin from the Smokehouse restaurant, and just stick your steak naked straight on to the charcoals – you’ll get 100 times more flavour

Like in the article I have heard used it referring to extreme comfort food, Guy Fieri types. BBQ, burgers etc.

Dirty food, to most people, is burgers served in doughnuts, deep-fried birthday cakes or some diabetes-inducing culinary challenge served in a hubcap

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Tricky one. It's a totally valid phrasing over here, and I don't think there was any ill intent whatsoever, but I don't think her getting defensive was the right call either.

With that said, the framing in this OP is garbage. It is a way more nuanced issue, and referring to dirty food is in no way condemnatory, or even a criticism.
Yeah, the best way to describe dirty food is everything you crave after getting drunk.

Like post-bar food is all dirty food.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Basic trendy types in the UK use this type of exaggeration a lot.

"That kebab looks like absolute filth"

Translation: it looks amazing.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard someone irl call KFC dirty bird. Her explanation seems pretty reasonable tbh.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Her explaination almost makes sense but it's best not to say any groups food is dirty. Of course others will take it the wrong way... not everyone knows her food lingo. And the apology doesn't do enough to apologize lol. Why are people so bad at this?
basically how i feel, when you playing in other's yards you got to have respect.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
This is why you gotta watch the local slang when you are dealing with global/international shows/audiences.

Codeswitching... It's really, really helpful. Sucks, but helpful.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed it meant street comfort food. Must be a language barrier between states and the UK

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is my first time hearing the term as well. I also would have had a pretty negative reaction to the phrase. I can't imagine referring to any cuisine as dirty, especially an ethnic category. But it's clear this has some pretty specific connotations where she is from that are not derogatory. I don't blame anybody for responding negatively and perhaps there is a conversation to be had about using esoteric regional slang on a world stage, but I can easily believe this is an international misunderstanding.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has no one ever had Mexican dirty rice before?

I'm in Canada and it's pretty common, especially in jambalaya and Mexican restaurants.

It's a food descriptor, used in a lot of cultures.

Is this just people getting angry again at something they aren't familiar with?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): Dismissive of sensitive concerns
Hot take : she was right not to apologise. She did nothing wrong ! As others have said , filthy/ dirty is really common slang.

This is a U.K. chef on a U.K. programme where almost everyone will get what she means. Sure, Intagram is global but you should maybe take into account context before jumping on someone for such benign stuff

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
If she's strictly referring to street food as "dirty", that's fine. In my community (Cuban) it's not uncommon to refer to street food that way, and it doesn't refer to the food itself, but to where its served, and also the speed at which its served (quick and dirty). It still has an obviously negative connotation that will rub some people the wrong way.

OP
OP
Richiek

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

I disagree. The term "dirty" may be common in the UK, but "dirty" has been used for years a a slur against Chinese immigrants.

www.cnn.com

A new virus stirs up ancient hatred | CNN

As the Wuhan coronavirus is spreading, it's activating a familiar and toxic strain of racism against Asians, writes Jeff Yang.

Food and hygiene slander have long been the spear tip of attacks by contemptuous (or envious) Westerners seeking to make Chinese seem impossibly alien, and thus unassimilable and inadmissible to their "civilized" countries. Back at the turn of the 19th century, Chinese were commonly regarded as "dirty, heathen rat-eaters"; vintage ads for a pest poison called "Rough on Rats" played on this perception; also by suggesting that it was nearly as effective at controlling vermin as hungry Chinese people, while op-eds took that stereotype and expanded and elevated it to fearful, monstrous proportions, with a typical editorial in the September 29, 1854 edition of the New York Daily Tribune calling Chinese "uncivilized, unclean, filthy beyond all conception, without any of the higher domestic or social relations; lustful and sensual in their dispositions," and warning the federal government to ban further influx of Chinese into the United States.
Spurred on by these descriptions, some took it into their own hands to reduce the number of Chinese in the country, gathering vigilante bands to burn down Chinatowns and kill their residents. One of the bloodiest mass murders of Chinese took place right here my city of Los Angeles in 1871, as a mob of over 500 invaded the city's old Chinese quarter and slaughtered and hung 20 men, mutilating their corpses in the deadliest known single lynching incident in US history.

Whether intentional or not, calling Asian food as "dirty" is pretty irresponsible now, considering that there are numerous attacks against Asian claiming they're responsible for spreading COVID because of their lack of hygiene.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I use "dirty" from time to time as well to describe food, probably because Ice lived in the UK for a bit.
But yeah, she didn't mean it in a racist es or anything. It's just a word to describe street food or fast food, but I get why it might offend people at first. Big misunderstanding.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
This is why you gotta watch the local slang when you are dealing with global/international shows/audiences.

Codeswitching... It's really, really helpful. Sucks, but helpful.
But I really hate this. It's a way towards a homogenised global language and I think that sucks.
And it only works one way, too. You don't get half as much to do when American writers use terms offensive to other countries.

Nov 9, 2017
I can see this happening with people thinking there is nothing wrong about it because it is the UK. I have some UK friends who I got in an argument with because they think it's wholly acceptable to use the work "chink" or to say "lets go get some chinkys" if they want Chinese food. Their excuse was that they don't really have Chinese people where they live and it is just slang so no harm no foul.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't think it's racist. It's much harder to plate a stir fry nicely than say a steak... I've heard the term used pretty commonly and not just in reference to Asian food.

With that said, I can see how people find it offensive.

This isn't about plating for stir fry.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I am from up norf. Comment was made with some self deprecation, I'm not immune from uttering it after a night out.
Fair enough :) I usually reserve it for such occasions; I run a food group and if a bit tipsy and see something like a triple layered burger with like 20 toppings that I need maybe extend it to that too; the extreme ends of food portions.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I'm much more critical of the tagline, "Dirty food refined". That gets my side eye.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've definitely heard the term here in NJ and definitely in NYC for street food. Dirty water dogs anyone??

Oct 28, 2017
Also, some times 'bad' means 'good' *. As in "Oh man, that burger was sooo bad".

*Note: bad also means bad, but good rarely means bad. Glad I cleared that up.