• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
apnews.com

US official: Russia adds 7K more troops near Ukraine border

Russia has added as many as 7,000 troops near the Ukraine border in recent days, contrary to claims by President Vladimir Putin that troops would be pulled back from the region.

Much as before, much rests on willingness to talk.

Seems like there is just going to come a point in time that Putin makes a decision, The US/NATO has time and again stated it is up the individual aspiring country if they want to join or not, and not some outside 3rd party. I know Scholz tried to find some grey area there, but it didn't look like Putin was too amused about that (About needing to wait until Putin dies)

Dec 4, 2017
Minsk 2 would mean a return to Yanukovich's refusal of signing the EU trade treaty, this time perpetualized (or, at least until Russia potentially implodes after Putin's death), plus loss of control over Donbas.

It would mean tens of thousands of Ukrainians (plus the hundreds of people aboard MH17) died for nothing.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
It's starting to look like yesterday's announcement of a withdrawal of some forces was mostly a deceptive stunt. 2 out of the 3 units that were filmed preparing to return to bases are moving from southern Crimea to their bases which are actually closer to the Ukrainian border than where they were deployed.

The bigger test will be if the forces currently in Belarus really do leave (especially those in southeast Belarus near the border facing Kyiv) and move away from Ukraine. Those excercises are due to end in 4 days.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
For those concerned about Nazi 'problem' in Ukraine.

I'm sorry, but what kind of garbage is that? The Norwegian parliament has 29% "Far Right" parties? I'd like to see how he came to that conclusion. The two right most parties add up to 32%, and the larger of them is less "right wing" than Joe Manchin.

And I can't help but see how it makes it out like Europe is full of Nazis while, Russia comes of looking pretty good.

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021

If anyone actually thinks Ukraine has a nazi problem or something is either lying to push an anti ukraine agenda or an idiot that doesnt have any clue about the region. Ukraine's current president is literally jewish

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry, but what kind of garbage is that? The Norwegian parliament has 29% "Far Right" parties? I'd like to see how he came to that conclusion. The two right most parties add up to 32%, and the larger of them is less "right wing" than Joe Manchin.

And I can't help but see how it makes it out like Europe is full of Nazis while, Russia comes of looking pretty good.
Same for Belgium, don't know how they get to that 28.7%.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure they lumped in NVA and Vlaams Belang's seats together in the federal parliament.
I assume so, but come on. N-VA is... not my favourite to say the least, but I really would not group them together with VB in argument to say that EU countries have a Nazi or ultra-nationalist problem.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also time we stop pretending these countries are being unreasonable in wanting to move west Diplomatically. They were under Foreign Occupation from the day the Nazis invaded in the 30s and 40s until the Soviet Union collapsed and they got their freedom.

These countries were not liberated and given free will by the Soviet Union. They simply traded one Subjugating power for another who claimed to be a liberator.

Honestly its my biggest gripe with many of the Left. They are so Anti-American in their Anti-Imperialism they are blinded by the fact many of these countries are actually using the free will and Liberty that's supposed to be enjoyed by all people but because they don't want to be best buddies with Russia and instead lean towards the EU and US its bad or somehow its all the USAs fault peoples abused by Russian Government want nothing to do with Russian Government

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

The numbers of Austria seem on point, that's more or less the percentage held by the FPÖ. Not sure how old the data is, might be from a couple of years ago, but it checks out.

Aya

Ok sabre rattling was the wrong phrase to use, but my sentiment still stands. It's the tired old "west is better" rhetoric, and "refreshing" is the last word I would use to describe it.

Oh I see so describing Russia and China as overt opponents of democracy is saber rattling.. but then it's actually the tired ol' trope of the west being better.

🤔

What would be a refreshing statement in your opinion, I wonder? Nato bows down to the true champions of freedom, Russia and China. "Proletarians of all countries, unite under the hammer and the sickle and bow down to the red flag of our two great sister nations who together deafeated the devilish ways of the decayed west!"

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there is just going to come a point in time that Putin makes a decision, The US/NATO has time and again stated it is up the individual aspiring country if they want to join or not, and not some outside 3rd party. I know Scholz tried to find some grey area there, but it didn't look like Putin was too amused about that (About needing to wait until Putin dies)
But never in a vacuum. Every existing pact member has as much, if not more of a say than any prospective applicant (the notion of collective security has no practicality otherwise), and that's before the obvious that expansion of defensive pacts isn't a neutral, banal act that doesn't carry potential for serious negative consequences or estrangement. Goes without saying that Ukrainians deserve to be able to choose which bloc (or none) they associate with, but diplomats can't proceed dewy-eyed as though it's the only thing that matters here. If there is a way to balance it all, it behooves them to explore it.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
It's also time we stop pretending these countries are being unreasonable in wanting to move west Diplomatically. They were under Foreign Occupation from the day the Nazis invaded in the 30s and 40s until the Soviet Union collapsed and they got their freedom.

These countries were not liberated and given free will by the Soviet Union. They simply traded one Subjugating power for another who claimed to be a liberator.

Honestly its my biggest gripe with many of the Left. They are so Anti-American in their Anti-Imperialism they are blinded by the fact many of these countries are actually using the free will and Liberty that's supposed to be enjoyed by all people but because they don't want to be best buddies with Russia and instead lean towards the EU and US its bad or somehow its all the USAs fault peoples abused by Russian Government want nothing to do with Russian Government

Most Western leftists didn't experience Soviet imperialism, they only saw American imperialism from South America to Vietnam.

Most leftists from non Western countries with the exception of the Soviet Union, Afghanistan also only experienced American Imperialism.

The naively see resurgent Russia as a Marxist state opposing Western Imperialism instead of what it really is, an Imperialist state competing against rival Imprialist states such as the US, Turkey, China.

Oct 27, 2017

lol@ 22% Ireland doesn't have any far right in our parliament (Dáil). I assume they are talking about Fine Gael. They are a centre right party, the current leader is the son of an immigrant and openly Gay POC.

There was a brief flirtation with fascism in the 1930s when they were formed and people who want to disparage them will call the party members Blue Shirts. They are not my cup of tea but they are a long way from the Nationalist Party who are far right but so far get under 1% of the vote in elections, long may that continue.

Aug 12, 2019

Putin dying changes nothing about this whole situation. The anti-Eastern NATO expansion sentiment is held by the vast majority of those in power in Russia right now and is a general sentiment around the whole population. It's the same shit I've seen people say around "wait for the Republicans to die out" in the US, this is a belief festered over decades that has been passed down to the next generation, and NATO's involvement in the breakup of Yugoslavia, in Afghanistan, etc. are things that you're gonna hear touted for years as reasons why Russians are not going to believe NATO is a "purely defensive organization."

Also, at a certain point, you have to accept realities on the ground and not your ideal world order. NATO can kick and scream all it wants about sovereign entities having self determination about joining, but that's no longer an entirely realistic proposition as we're seeing world order realign in ways that ensure, no, that definitely won't happen. Russia will invade any country and start another territory dispute to ensure that state will never join NATO. Moldova, Georgia, and Ukraine have all witnessed this, and if any country in Central Asia (though China's influence in the region also creates a different set of circumstances) or Belarus ever drifted too far away, they'd do the same. This is a broader "security goal" for Russia, and they have both the power to do this with their military and exactly fucking zero meaningful opposition when they commit these exact same acts. NATO is never going to war for a non-NATO member, so NATO now has to find ways to work with Putin when it comes to these countries.

It's a binary option, work with Putin and deal with what he wants because Russia has the power to force that conversation, or keep ignoring his demands and watch as he keeps escalating to keep countries in his orbit. Is it fair? Fuck no, but that's what happens when two nuclear super powers get into pissing matches and neither one will actually force a change to what is now the status quo. You're not going to sanction Russia out of this belief, and I severely doubt the Western world can muster enough sanctions to collapse the Russian economy with the way things are going (and again, Russia has built resiliency and has other partners that will continue to work with them). None of that is to say they should bow down to the Minsk-II agreement and make Donbas a puppet state with an effective veto in all Ukrainian matters, that in of itself is a red line Ukraine won't cross.

But the choices are some sort of diplomacy or war. There is no third magical option here that lets Ukrainians do what they want while also telling Russia to get bent. I think portraying Putin as such a conqueror (if he wanted, he could already have Belarus integrated into Russia and not a single soul could stop him) and not recognizing his goals in opposing NATO as broader Russian goals that will continue to provoke conflict for decades is a misread of the situation. Putin absolutely does not respect the sovereign states that came out of the Soviet Union and is an oligarch surrounded by yes men oligarchs looking to hold on to power and profit as much from the situation as possible. But I also think Putin would take significant NATO concessions and go home immediately too because that would be a major win for him and his local group of elites as far as Russia is concerned. I'm not saying that's the path to take, but just that I don't think "conquering Ukraine" is the end goal as much as it is the method by which he is trying to extract huge concessions or rather showing consequences he can create if he doesn't get his way.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017

Good thread, mainly Russia could've invaded yesterday, could still invade tomorrow or even next week if they still maintain their current posture.

If Putin can get the concessions he wants through coercive diplomacy instead of costly invasion he'll take it. He sees the world through the scope of 19th century European Imperialism and Imperial rivalries.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Points A and B are around Ukraine.

Russia said they are withdrawing troops from point A.

They moved them to point B, which is actually closer to Ukraine.

Oh and they added more troops!

Fantastic withdrawal.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hard to believe it's been 40 years since Poland was nearly invaded and absorbed into Russia. Feels like this is a reenactment.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe it's been 40 years since Poland was nearly invaded and absorbed into Russia. Feels like this is a reenactment.

I don't think there is any actual evidence that's been planned? Sure, it's the excuse put forward by Jaruzelski for introducing martial law, but that doesn't mean that's true

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Alright, we all pretty much agree that Russia and China aren't exactly beacons of democracy and freedom, to say the least, that Russia's aggression to Ukraine is unacceptable, yeah, but are we really at a point where we're prasing NATO for being faithful to the "values of freedom and democracy"? Really ERA?

*laughs in third world*

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, we all pretty much agree that Russia and China aren't exactly beacons of democracy and freedom, to say the least, that Russia's aggression to Ukraine is unacceptable, yeah, but are we really at a point where we're prasing NATO for being faithful to the "values of freedom and democracy"? Really ERA?

*laughs in third world*
"Our values" is a classic line that although decades old apparently has lost none of its power I guess

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

Good thread, mainly Russia could've invaded yesterday, could still invade tomorrow or even next week if they still maintain their current posture.

If Putin can get the concessions he wants through coercive diplomacy instead of costly invasion he'll take it. He sees the world through the scope of 19th century European Imperialism and Imperial rivalries.

Since the US blasted Wednesday around the news, it probably made it improbable anyways but two points to add to the above:

1.) Russia's first strike will most likely rely on Missiles more than aircraft and ground vehicles, so while a night attack may be preferred, it is not really necessary for the first strike.

2.) This week was the beggining of approx 2 week window where Russia will be able to escalate to warfare within hours. They really can't extend that too much without taking heavy logistical tolls (helicopters moved to such a forward position, units leaving an assembly area with more limited supplies, etc...). So yes, over the next 12 days, give or take, the world will be on edge.

I personally still think an attack is more probable than not, but also I think we haven't seen enough cyber attacks to point to an imminent attack. The one's yesterday were more annoyances than assisting with strategic surprise (which would hit telecom and/or power).

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

*laughs in third world*

There is no use in pointing out the flaws of NATO, we are clearly living in a situation of the "lesser evil". However, given the choice? I know which rule i'd rather live under if i was Ukrainian right now.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
There is no use in pointing out the flaws of NATO, we are clearly living in a situation of the "lesser evil". However, given the choice? I know which rule i'd rather live under if i was Ukrainian right now.

There's plenty of countries that would disagree. Whether we agree or not.

And the point is that we really shouldn't be playing oppresion olympics and praising one very controversial organization just because most of the board happens to live in their countries. This will end up derailing the thread and it's better to focus on the matter at hand and leave NATO's propaganda catchphrases out

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
There's plenty of countries that would disagree. Whether we agree or not.

And the point is that we really shouldn't be playing oppresion olympics and praising one very controversial organization just because most of the board happens to live in their countries. This will end up derailing the thread and it's better to focus on the matter at hand and leave NATO's propaganda catchphrases out

Fair enough actually!

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Let's reset because these are not the choices.

Free Ukraine or Ukraine under Russian rule. These are the choices. NATO does not run countries.

False equivalence.

Status
Not open for further replies.