• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Oh? What new shitfuckery did Kadyrov Jr. pull last week?
Kidnapping wife of federal judge.
One thing if that happened in Chechnya, but Kadyrov's men did this in Nizhny Novgorod.

And another example – russian stocks sink 8%, ruble plunges to 14-month low. And how Putin addresses that?
Right, by speaking with russian atheletes :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ah, so Ramzan being a disgusting waste of oxygen, as usual.
Truth be told, Ramzan could be a real pain for Russia, were he not such a galaxy-tier brainlet. He's content with ruling over his human game reserve/sex & drug dungeon, he has no greater ambitions/aspirations.
I suspect ol' Akhmad got iced with the indirect support of Russia's services, who 'coincidentally' did not warn him of the bomb plot in a timely fashion.

Putin is an opportunist. He will extend as far as the bungee cord allows before snapping.
I suspect he has a series of goals, in descending order of success.
1. He takes over Ukraine, ends up with a string of Russian bases throughout the country and a puppet government.
2. He takes over the eastern half, plus the entire coast, linking him up to Transnistria and Gagauzia. This cuts off Ukraine's access to the sea, leaving an impoverished rump state.
3. He takes over the eastern half, but not the entire coast. Ukraine still suffers, since the industrial heartland is in the east (plus all the cities now ending up right on the Dniester border).
4. Donetsk and Luhansk end up as independent republics, maybe a bit more territory outside them.

And in this case, who will likely have to care for the improvished state of Ukraine? The West/EU

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a videogame forum so I guess it makes sense that if Ukraine wants to be worth our protection they should have been building Playstation 5s.

Taiwan is a major player in the semiconductor field, sure, but most of the companies have started looking at building fabs outside the region and China itself is investing into catching up, so if in 10 years if Intel's got a fab in the US, TSMC has a fab in Europe, Samsung already has one in Texas, and China's homegrown companies are caught up would Taiwan now be expendable?

We say China's rational but at a point, if everyone openly admits we can't go to war over single small nations and what point does it become rational for China to think the same? It's like we're hoping Chinese or Russian people can't read English and think our threats carry weight when we ourselves openly state they carry no weight.

Someday it'll actually be irrational to believe the US would defend any nation and all the rational actors in the world will know it.
This is a gross misinterpretation of my post to suggest that I think Taiwan is worth fighting for because of PS5 and Ukraine isn't. In the real world no country is going to enter into a major war without there being a clear alliance (NATO, etc...) or major economic/strategic importance (Taiwan due to its semiconductor prominence). I'm not sure what you're advocating. Do you want Biden to send in ground troops and have the US and Russia go to all-out war? If so, that's a pretty wild stance to take and one that would not be popular at all either on Era or among the US populace.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
Sure is weird how a world power straight-up saying "bow to our demands, NATO, or we're killing thousands" is someone else's fault for a lot of people.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I have strong doubts about a Russian invasion. A good article was posted on the IMT website talking about this with a analysis of the situation.

Will Russia invade Ukraine? | Ukraine | Europe

Over the past few months, the world’s media has been full of talk of a new war in Europe. According to US intelligence services, Russia has moved over 100,000 troops to its border with Ukraine.

As pointed out, the Ukrainian people would be to happy to go insurgent to harass an occupying force and to get tied down with that would be too much for Russia. It doesn't rule out possible military actions against key targets, but a full scale invasion is extremely unlikely and even in the small scale case of the "New Russia" plan it would be very difficult considering the region it aims at.
While a full-scale occupation is out of the question, Putin's threats are not entirely empty. It is possible that Russia could launch a 'small war' or surgical strike against Ukrainian military installations. Western commentators say this could involve completely annexing the Donbas region, which is currently already controlled by pro-Russian forces; creating a land corridor to the previously annexed Crimea; or a revival of the so-called 'New Russia' project, which would involve an attempt to "cut Ukraine off from the Black Sea".

However, it seems unlikely that Putin would wish to annex the Donbas. Leaving these regions in their current state – effectively controlled by Russia, but still a part of Ukraine – gives Putin a great deal of leverage in the country. Equally, the 'New Russia' project would involve seizing the city of Odessa, a city of over 1 million people, 68% of whom are ethnic Ukrainians, which would involve significant costs, and the probable opening of a front of insurgency against the occupation. It therefore seems that, if – and that is a big if – Putin were to move towards military action, the most likely route would be to create a land corridor uniting the Donbas to Crimea.

Most likely this is the usual strong-man posturing expected from Putin to fan the fervour of nationalism in the country and distract from ongoing problems.
Putin's other motivation is clearly to fan the flames of great power Russian nationalism in an attempt to distract people from the problems at home. For many years, Putin was able to ride the wave of an oil boom, and his approval ratings stood at around 70%. This increased to around 85% on the back of the jingoistic mood following the annexation of Crimea. However, his popularity has again begun to slide, falling to the mid-50s in 2020 – and even lower according to certain polls.

This is due to a number of factors. The coronavirus pandemic has killed around 320,000 Russians, according to official figures. With the declining oil prices in the wake of the 2008 crisis, the Russian economy also got into difficulties. This meant that, from 2013 to 2020, real incomes fell by 11%. On top of this, inflation currently stands at over 8%, thereby pushing the living standards of working-class people even lower. This was the real reason for the protests that were sparked by the arrest of Navalny last year, and for the disappointing election results for Putin's United Russia.

Part of the motivation, therefore, is likely an attempt to rekindle this reactionary nationalist spirit once again in order to cut across the developing class anger in Russian society. But whipping up nationalism by threatening war is a completely different thing to actually engaging in a long and costly war, which would have the opposite effect. This is another reason why a full-scale military invasion is highly unlikely, as it would not be in Putin's interest.
More in the article.

How effective this is however is debatable as the Russian population is kinda growing immune more and more to these kinds of actions. Story circulating in my local group is how a couple of Russian teenagers were interviewed about the military build-up last year and their reaction was dismissal and that it was just the politicians trying to drum up support for the upcoming election.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that makes me doubt the invasion will happen soon is that the russian propaganda machine has not yet started the hate campaign yet. Normally before any escalation they would have their "ukrainian nazis are killing russian speaking babies" stick on all TV and internet channels, but it is rather tame so far. I guess they either they are aiming for mid February to start it, or it is indeed a huge ruse.

I'm seeing a lot of why are Canada and the US arming Nazis shit on Twitter though

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit just went through the last few pages.

Era always horny for war god damn.

Nobody wants war, but are we supposed to just sit back and bloviate while liberal democracies fall to despots?
What is the point of having moral ideals if we don't give a fuck about helping people defend those ideals?

Conflict is worth avoiding, but surely there is a time for right action.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Gonna sidestep talking too much about all this here.

Hopefully nothing too violent comes from all of this military buildup and lethal aid.

Just going to put out there that I don't trust any of the parties involved in this. Fuck the Russian aggression, but also wouldn't be so quick to believe everything coming from mainstream media, the U.S. military, and NATO. Gotta keep in mind that war is good for them.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully nothing too violent comes from all of this military buildup and lethal aid.

Just going to put out there that I don't trust any of the parties involved in this. Fuck the Russian aggression, but also wouldn't be so quick to believe everything coming from mainstream media, the U.S. military, and NATO. Gotta keep in mind that war is good for them.

'Both sides' drivel.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

This war clearly wouldn't be good for NATO, the US or the EU. That's why they have been trying to avoid it.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

This one isn't. We are talking about a country with 40 million people inside Europe. This would be a gigantic humanitarian/refugee crisis.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

What? It's definitely not in anyone's interest.. shit, I don't think it's even in Russia's. But here we are.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

How very Boogie of you.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

Enlightened centrist

How is a war in Ukraine in NATO's interests?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Yeah Russia starting the biggest war in Europe since WWII and causing economic devastation while countries around the globe are already having economic issues due to 2 years of Covid-19 is great for Western Europe and the US!
Get your head out of your ass.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling
No one has any problem with arming a bunch of neo nazis in Ukraine?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm truly happy to see moderators treating tankies as they should be treated. If you're in favor of Russia as it's on the verge of invading a neighbor then you really aren't aligned with the values of people on the site.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think being anti-war necessarily means one is in favor of Russia invading.
I'm not in favor of war. I'm not saying that someone being anti-war is a tankie. If they're doing the "both sides are bad" when one side is on the verge of invasion and the other is not then they might as well be a tankie.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'm not in favor of war. I'm not saying that someone being anti-war is a tankie. If they're doing the "both sides are bad" when one side is on the verge of invasion and the other is not then they might as well be a tankie.

Gotcha.

While I do think both superpowers are bad, I don't think their actions are the same not equally as aggressive.

I disagree with the tankie comment because then tankie just starts to mean anyone you disagree with.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha.

While I do think both superpowers are bad, I don't think their actions are the same not equally as aggressive.

I disagree with the tankie comment because then tankie just starts to mean anyone you disagree with.
I'd say that most of the people who have been banned the last few pages certainly fit the bill. If someone's instincts related to this issue is to blame NATO or US, thereby exonerating Russia, then they're either Russian cheerleaders or have fallen hard for Russian propaganda.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'd say that most of the people who have been banned the last few pages certainly fit the bill. If someone's instincts related to this issue is to blame NATO or US, thereby exonerating Russia, then they're either Russian cheerleaders or have fallen hard for Russian propaganda.

This is different than "both sides"ing, no? If they blame the US only then I can see how you would see that poster as a tankie. But if they blame "both sides" then I don't see how that would be a tankie. At least, to me anyway.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is different than "both sides"ing, no? If they blame the US only then I can see how you would see that poster as a tankie. But if they blame "both sides" then I don't see how that would be a tankie. At least, to me anyway.
Sure, I guess. More like a tankie-lite as spreading the blame, by definition, gives some legitimacy to what Russia is doing (some have tried to say things like "they wouldn't have to do this if not for Biden/NATO/etc....).

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Sure, I guess. More like a tankie-lite as spreading the blame, by definition, gives some legitimacy to what Russia is doing (some have tried to say things like "they wouldn't have to do this if not for Biden/NATO/etc....).

I can see in those examples, yes, but I still think someone is saying "Fuck both" and end there, without blaming NATO or the US, that really isn't being a tankie.

Some people are vehemently anti-war or pacifist. I don't think this makes them tankie-adjacent.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
In this context, "both sides" is just an attempt to mitigate Russia's culpability by spreading the blame around. Their actions are too obviously wrong to completely absolve them of guilt, but by going "both sides," the guilt can be reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.