• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You get that feeling Ukraine is for the taking if Russia wants it and in response allies will sanction to some apparent maybe hard or not so hard degree with some supplies to Ukraine to help the fight and give Russia a black eye while they watch from Poland or wherever. It's not a great situation to be in.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The UK could stop being a laudromat for Russian money but pigs will fly with the Russian funded Tory party.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
It has to do more with the history of the Olympic Truce, taking away attention from China's moment, etc... Putin may not care like you said, but getting on the bad side of probably their only major trading partner who won't impose sanctions is just adding more to the risk equation of attacking Ukraine.
this didn't stop him from invading Georgia during the 08 Beijing games or Ukraine during the 14 Sochi games

I just find it hard to believe he has a handshake agreement with Xi on this, and DOESN'T go back on his word, more than anything, fwiw. just hoping for an increasingly unlikely best case scenario where russia is flexing and goes home quietly in a few weeks

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps I'm stating this out of sheer ignorance, but I can't see this invasion happening. The US and EU will absolutely cripple Russia with debilitating sanctions which will break them economically. Incurring those consequences merely to push the NATO sphere of influence back from Russia's borders seems like lunacy.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
www.theguardian.com

US finalizing plans to divert gas to Europe if Russia cuts off supply

Officials working with global suppliers to avoid European gas crisis if flow from Russia is cut as Biden says he would consider personal sanctions against Putin

The US has helped prepare for the diversion of natural gas supplies from around the world to Europe in the event that the flow from Russia is cut, in an effort to blunt Vladimir Putin's most powerful economic weapon.

As fears of an invasion of Ukraine have grown, US officials said on Tuesday that they had been negotiating with global suppliers, and they were now confident that Europe would not suffer from a sudden loss of energy for heating in the middle of winter.

"To ensure Europe is able to make it through the winter and spring we expect to be prepared to ensure alternative supplies covering a significant majority of the potential shortfall," a senior official said.

The preparation for bulk gas supplies deliveries is part of a campaign by the US and its European allies to show a united and coherent front to Putin in the hope of deterring him from invading Ukraine.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Perhaps I'm stating this out of sheer ignorance, but I can't see this invasion happening. The US and EU will absolutely cripple Russia with debilitating sanctions which will break them economically. Incurring those consequences merely to push the NATO sphere of influence back from Russia's borders seems like lunacy.

I saw a report that the EU/US can't come to a complete agreement on these sanctions. Russia has leverage due to its oil.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
The "It's actually everyone who wants to defend Ukraine's decision to join NATO who are doing the escalation against Russia" takes on Twitter are fascinating.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
www.theguardian.com

US finalizing plans to divert gas to Europe if Russia cuts off supply

Officials working with global suppliers to avoid European gas crisis if flow from Russia is cut as Biden says he would consider personal sanctions against Putin
Great to hear. Germany probably should have taken the lead on that given that their short-sighted decisions put them in the bind to begin with but either way it's good to see that the leverage that Putin had over parts of Europe has been lessened.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Great to hear. Germany probably should have taken the lead on that given that their short-sighted decisions put them in the bind to begin with but either way it's good to see that the leverage that Putin had over parts of Europe has been lessened.

Yeah, I always assumed that Germany would have a seat at the head of this table. But they've kind of hid in the background a little bit.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
An analysis I read came to the conclusion that the western strategy if Russia invades is to supply the Ukrainians with advanced anti tank weapons to make the initial invasion costly and the occupation even costlier to Russia. With Russia's terrible demographics any capability lost in the attack is capability that they cannot replace.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
An analysis I read came to the conclusion that the western strategy if Russia invades is to supply the Ukrainians with advanced anti tank weapons to make the initial invasion costly and the occupation even costlier to Russia. With Russia's terrible demographics any capability lost in the attack is capability that they cannot replace.

Not sure how good those Javelins will be if Russia's missiles/fighter jets are allowed free reign. I'm not sure Russia will care about Collateral damage.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Its the narrative Putin is pushing, which tells you a LOT about the people parroting it...

YUP.

I get the argument that there's definitely cause to escalate a conflict but does anyone else think Ukraine might have a justifiable reason to want to join NATO? Like a fascist neighbor who's already annexed one region of the country as it is?

100%. Look at the Baltic states. They would be under Russian control if they were not in NATO. There is a reason why the former Warsaw pact countries went west.

Dec 4, 2017
Russian/Belarus political dissidents classified as 'terrorists and extremists'

ALL Russian members of international organizations like Interpol, or international financial tracking institutions, should be kicked out immediately from those organizations' headquarters. And their local Russian offices should be shut down post-haste.

In all fairness, that should also apply to Chinese members, especially after that bullshit stunt they pulled on the at-the-time Chinese head of Interpol.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
ALL Russian members of international organizations like Interpol, or international financial tracking institutions, should be kicked out immediately from those organizations' headquarters. And their local Russian offices should be shut down post-haste.

In all fairness, that should also apply to Chinese members, especially after that bullshit stunt they pulled on the at-the-time Chinese head of Interpol.

I know there's going to be lots "oooh slippery slope" arguments, but the Russian Government's abuse of Interpol Red Notices alone should bar them from using these institutions.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Someone posted a poll that 57% of Russians believe NATO is the driver of this crisis. I mean I guess when you don't have a free press and your access is to only state media, you would believe it
This (the second sentence, at least) is not entirely true. Yes, you won't find any truth on tv, or in newspapers and magazines, but there are several independent media outlets you can find in the internet. The government is making lives of independent journalists pretty hard, many of them are obliged to put a "foreign agent" label before everything they publish online (which, among other negative consequences, hurts potential advertisements/ sponsorships), but they still endure.
Iirc, so far the only independent media that got designed as an "undesirable organization" and was forced to close down was "Project media", which published a lot of useful investigations of corruption, including finding Putin's ex-lover (now millionaire, of course) and his third secret daughter (born outside of marriage, obviously, because Putin is a huge supporter of "traditional family values").

The issue, though, is that a large part of Russian population prefers to just kinda avoid politics, so they are not really interested in looking for independent sources of information. And TV (where you pretty much can't avoid the government propaganda) is something that a lot of people still watch. There is also internet propaganda (Russian bots, paid bloggers, etc.), so staying away from politics and state-funded television doesn't mean that you'll completely avoid kremlin's disinformation, lol.

As for the poll… yeah, somewhat independent polls show that 48% of Russians believe that NATO is to blame, lol.
ZJEKAqjYnUHNfqhFYcQyMcoW7kYyZL3mV06J1-QdM4-DyLG4NTyQ3b5scHSP6W-00oBrIHV2i1eotxQNEei7F4TUfUpoyfIu9ZjdrDNmPyq6M4-9cZFztZk7WNQuciM3yZMQ_D1I

mDtUE1KoKK9JJTWUgrl4xHYLMBFqqwAqLyD74KaqUmEfnqQeY59UM8K82cvfTaCRr5hD5wQ57_3PtAgxLZ8b2eW1gJI3yMRRGE8e4vse39AfkzwX2f-EjE1eh2IFlbPhJ1uXANBL
Source: https://www.levada.ru/en/2021/05/19/escalation-in-southeast-ukraine/ (It's in English)

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

More and more Russian forces are pouring into Belarus every day by road and military trains. A lot seem to be deploying in the far south close to the Ukrainian border. There has to be some concerns that these units could be used to quickly move on Kyiv.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I was reading on Ukraine economically. Didn't know they were struggling so much. Defintiely easy target.

Why is Russia so obsessed with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.