• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
As most you probably know by now, many industries have been rocked by men and women speaking out against abusive behavior from hundreds of people starting from the #MeToo movement back in 2017.

It has largely been silent in the professional wrestling world. That is understandable given how it is structured. Nearly all of them aren't unionized and it would be extremely easy for someone to be blacklisted without any support from friends.

That is until yesterday when the goddamn dam burst.

It started with a woman going by the Twitter username Tori who came out with screenshots of a conversation with David Starr showing how she was treated when she was dating him:

A few other women who dated him came out with similar stories. The usual dance happened. Starr gave a half-apology, several wrestling promotions stripped him of his titles and barred him from wrestling and what not.

Yet this was only the beginning.

Maybe it was because people had more time on their hands and that there was no wrestling to begin with. Maybe it was the shock that the abuser was David Starr, one of the biggest advocates for unionizing and out-and-about progressive. Whatever the reason, it was far from the end of it all.

The following day, pro wrestler Natalie Sykes brought her own story abuse, this time about how her trainer Ligero.

And with her story, dozens of other wrestlers shared their own stories.

As of right now, there are simply too many stories to keep up. The epicenter is in the British wrestling scene, but people from other countries are speaking out with some significant names from both sides. Stories of people who were groom from their teens. Of trainers manipulating wrestlers out of promotions and relationships. Of sexual harassment and all the works.

This was a long time coming. It's well known that professional wrestling has a lot of carnies, but there is hope that the industry can be a more welcoming place for people.

This is an ongoing situation, so expect a lot more in the next few days.

Edit: Here's a reddit page keeping up with all of the accusations:

This reddit thread has a growing list of twitter posts

Last edited:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly a long time coming. Part of me is selfishly dreading to see if any personal favorites of mine will be named but in the end of the day this shouldn't be happening whatsoever and people should be held accountable. No exceptions.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Gonna wait for it all to come out before I start writing people off. I saw Tyler Bate's name got thrown in there but all I could find was that he tried to sleep with a girl in a relationship, she said no and he was like whelp cya.

The Cornette stuff is... never took him for the cuckold life.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Following this business is so shitty. Getting closer to stepping away with every shitty person exposed for this type of creepy power manipulation behaviour and the countless other bullshit characters and happenings.

Support, respect, and empathy for those coming forward with their stories.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna wait for it all to come out before I start writing people off. I saw Tyler Bate's name got thrown in there but all I could find was that he tried to sleep with a girl in a relationship, she said no and he was like whelp cya.

The Cornette stuff is... never took him for the cuckold life.

Cornette is shitty for a lot of reasons but this one is so fucking outlandish that it is hard to believe. Is it just that one guy or are there multiple people corroborating this?

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Some big names across the industry at ever major promotion being named. Jordan Devlin, Joe Coffey and Travis Banks in wwe, Marty Scrull in ROH, Jimmy Havoc and another unnamed AEW talent, Joey Ryan in Impact and many more names. The worst is how much all of this was an open secret often with "trainers" abusing their students

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
More and mores gonna come out. It's better that all this is out there if the victims are comfortable with that so that these people can get lost.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Amusing when Kid Fite tried to defend himself

Then his accuser landed the knockout blow

He was 31 and she was a 16 year old kid. Way too many scumbags been outed today

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Cornette is shitty for a lot of reasons but this one is so fucking outlandish that it is hard to believe. Is it just that one guy or are there multiple people corroborating this?

It's just the one guy right now, I think he had screenshots but they were in a very weird order and could be fake. I'll believe it if more come forward..

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Regarding Cornette, this was posted in the main wrestling thread earlier. Janela made this tweet months ago so I guess the Cornette stuff has been known.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good, expose them all. The wrestling industry is filled with too many shithead abusers.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Hoo boy, now I'm scared for my boy Kenny. However, his only crime so far seems to be accidentally booking a sex offender in a card that he ran (where he immediately apologized and offered refunds to anyone who didn't feel safe), so I think he'll be okay. He seems to be a very private person for this exact reason.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't refer to multiple corroborations of systemic sexual abuse of boys and young men as 'outlandish' as if couples have never groomed and abused victims before. If you want to wait for more information, then fine, wait. Don't immediately dismiss a victim's account, especially when multiple sources have corroborated what they've spoken out about.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cornette stuff would heavily imply WWE covered for another of their employees abusing wrestlers/trainees after the Bill DeMott stuff.

I'm not sure the timeline lines up though, since he went back to OVW after the split with WWE.

Edit - And all those JBL shower rumors.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
as others have said it's a long time coming. carny ass industry, glad these people can finally feel safe to come forward. lots of fake ass people out there

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
The Cornette stuff would heavily imply WWE covered for another of their employees abusing wrestlers/trainees after the Bill DeMott stuff.

I'm not sure the timeline lines up though, since he went back to OVW after the split with WWE.

Edit - And all those JBL shower rumors.
In regards to WWE, they've been taking accusations like this a lot more seriously for a little while now.

They shitcanned Enzo Amore after someone accused him of raping her, and they got rid of Rich Swann as well (after being accused of abusing his wife). Jordan Devlin is likely on his way out as well, considering the verbiage that WWE had in the press release was the same kind they gave out for the Enzo and Swann stuff.

It's going to be interesting to see how AEW reacts to an accusation that was thrown at Jake Hager. I put it in spoiler tags just to be safe to avoid hurting anyone.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hoo boy, now I'm scared for my boy Kenny. However, his only crime so far seems to be accidentally booking a sex offender in a card that he ran (where he immediately apologized and offered refunds to anyone who didn't feel safe), so I think he'll be okay. He seems to be a very private person for this exact reason.
I think it's pretty unlikely that Kenny has anything too dark in his closet but you never can be sure unfortunately.

Been following this stuff on Twitter, like most "male centric" stuff I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg. Fuck all these bastards.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to WWE, they've been taking accusations like this a lot more seriously for a little while now.

They shitcanned Enzo Amore after someone accused him of raping her, and they got rid of Rich Swann as well (after being accused of abusing his wife). Jordan Devlin is likely on his way out as well, considering the verbiage that WWE had in the press release was the same kind they gave out for the Enzo and Swann stuff.

It's going to be interesting to see how AEW reacts to an accusation that was thrown at Jake Hager. I put it in spoiler tags just to be safe to avoid hurting anyone.

They tossed Enzo because he didn't tell WWE he was under investigation.

Oct 25, 2017

Good points, i'd forgotten about the Enzo and Swann stuff since other companies were so quick to pick them up afterwards.

Hopefully all companies with people implicated in this handle things appropriately in regards to the victims and not their bottom lines.

Saw pretty much every company affiliated with David Starr drop him flat, so hopefully others follow suit.

Edit -
Oh right, forgot that was the actual reason they dropped him. Shameful

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
They would have fired him either way, considering he was in clear violation of their morality clause (please remember the situation surrounding this entire debacle as well). WWE as of late has become more trigger happy in firing people before charges are even filed. He was also on thin ice backstage for his antics at that point as well.

For reference for those who don't know about the morality clause:
The morality clause is located in Section 9.13(a) of the WWE booking contract and explains that if the WWE wrestlers do anything to damage their reputation in regards to public scandal, the company are within their rights to fire them.

It's also on their corporate website. The situation with Devlin would fall under that clause. Especially since he's (as of right now) a title holder in WWE.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not into wrestling so I don't recognize the names. But, holy fucking shit, that reddit thread attempting to keep track of it all is insanely long.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I hope all these carnie creeps get outed and fired/blacklisted.

Also, and let me preface this by saying that I know of no actual evidence of anything nefarious happening, but I still think the whole Kylie Rae thing with AEW is super suspicious/sketchy. For those who don't know, AEW signed Kylie in early 2019 and, by all impressions, she seemed like she was going to be a star in the women's division. After her debut at Double or Nothing in May 2019 in what I believe was the women's main event match, she disappeared. She was booked for another match at that year's Fyter Fest, but was replaced and granted her release. Tony Kahn said the release was "amicable," but it never sat right with me. Like why would you sign with AEW for probably what was good money and most likely a big push, but then ask to be released from your contract in less than a year after having only like one actual match?

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive drive-by
Damn, I would defend Jim Cornette all the time because I love the podcast, and while problematic at times I was on board with him 90% of the time. But if this is all confirmed true, and it seems more and more like it is. Going to be time to drop him from the listening list of podcasts.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Dont know most these people, but it seems a few are in NXT and AEW. Seems the biggest names out of this are Tyler Bates, Jimmy Havoc, Scurl, and Devlin.

It's also absolutely no coincidence that no one big in WWE/AEW has been mentioned, can't imagine how protected some of the bigger names are. Hope it all comes out

Oct 27, 2017
Vince is going to love this.

He can close NXT Uk and blame this. Vince has probably been looking at cutting costs and he'd probably shut it down.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Dont know most these people, but it seems a few are in NXT and AEW. Seems the biggest names out of this are Tyler Bates, Jimmy Havoc, Scurl, and Devlin.

It's also absolutely no coincidence that no one big in WWE/AEW has been mentioned, can't imagine how protected some of the bigger names are. Hope it all comes out
Hager has all but been named. I imagine more will come.