• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Someone animated Long Yoshi using the sprite sheet:

Y1HPRoN.gif
"Nothing moves over land and sea faster than a giant eel hound."

latest

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Is there a link for all the Pokémon leaks??

www.resetera.com

The Nintendo leak saga continues: biggest Nintendo leak in history, full source code / design files for Wii released online

As you may be aware, in the last few weeks in 4chan multiple Nintendo-related old things have been leaking, starting with old Pokémon debug ROMs and source code, then most recent 3DS debug ROMs, then keys for all consoles up until the DSi and now the biggest of them all: the full source code...

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing SMW2 - Yoshi's Island and I'm loving it! I've never played it before. I would love a remake for Nintendo Switch with extra high quality drawings, as well as a remake to Super Mario RPG!

I wish Nintendo does a Disney and start remaking all their classic games!
Definitely recommend Woolly World and Crafted World if you haven't played 'em.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
There are early early early Mario Kart 64 tests from a SGI Indy workstation in this leak.

xdPewfx.png

Characters:
kame
kinopio
kong
kuppa
mario
peach
yossy

file path: other\NEWS\NEWS\テープリストア\NEWS_05\NEWS_05\home\watanabe\INDY\GLTEST\
That character list is interesting and I'd love to know how it fits with a very early Mario Kart 64 screenshot that was I believe from Spaceworld 96.

hiJpj9G.png

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Short ears on Minun are weird, though maybe its head is just tilted really far back.

Am I mistaken or was Rare credited for Donkey Kong in Mario Kart 64 since they used their design of him? I wonder if he was added fairly late into the game and they just named a jungle stage in the game DK's Jungle Parkway to accommodate him.

Interesting to see the short ears on Minun. Early pass on the gender differences that were introduced in DP? There's a lot of shorter ears/tails, that sort of thing, but I don't think there's any quite so extreme.

Some are pretty similar to that Minun picture, like female Alakazam's shorter mustache.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see the short ears on Minun. Early pass on the gender differences that were introduced in DP? There's a lot of shorter ears/tails, that sort of thing, but I don't think there's any quite so extreme.
Yeah, our old source leaked the sprites from this (we didn't know exactly where they were from, apparently this or a compiled version of it) last year, they tried to give almost everything gender differences.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised this stuff is still leaking. I thought the guy who stole the files got caught and charged with being a pedophile among the obvious charges.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Ocarina of Time beta is the holy fucking grail of video game leaks. I know it's in Nintendo's servers somewhere.... I can't wait to see that uncovered.

bioboybio

Apr 21, 2020
This is getting me right in the feels after seeing so many beta elements for games on Cutting Room Floor, etc, over the years

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Am I mistaken or was Rare credited for Donkey Kong in Mario Kart 64 since they used their design of him? I wonder if he was added fairly late into the game and they just named a jungle stage in the game DK's Jungle Parkway to accommodate him.
Yes, you'd be correct. Rare similarly provided DK's model for the N64 Mario Party installments too.

NzfIMx5.png

The strange thing is that the early test makes reference to a "kong", but by the time of the Shoshinkai '95 demo DK was absent from the roster. Really want to know the development timeline on the game's roster now, lol.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Hajime Yajima is credited as programming the Mario Kart 64 SGI Indy tests in the code samples. (and probably the full game)

nintendo.fandom.com

Hajime Yajima

Hajime Yajima is a technology chief in the Technology Development Department of Nintendo EAD. Initially, he programmed the digital signal processing of Pilotwings and Super Mario Kart, which allowed the game program to perform calculations like the item selection on Mario Kart. He also worked on...

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dylan Cuthbert, a member of the original Star Fox teams, piped up, and thread has a smidge more info and insight.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
This is cool from a preservation standpoint... But I do wish companies would release this stuff on their own instead of having hackers dunno this stuff.

That said, this goes to show how serious Nintendo has been holding onto everything over the last 25+years and leaves me hopeful they'll eventually release more finished or near finished games like star fox 2.
The preservation angle always seems weird to me at least when it comes with Nintendo, like the whole point of this is that Nintendo preserves almost everything, what people want is not preservation but it being public

Yeah, in a perfect world, a lot of this stuff would've been public domain by now. I do hope Nintendo at least understands the joy this is bringing a lot of people right now.

Kudos to them for hanging on to all this code still though.
Sounds dumb, "look Nintendo the joy it brings people looking at stolen property"

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The preservation angle always seems weird to me at least when it comes with Nintendo, like the whole point of this is that Nintendo preserves almost everything, what people want is not preservation but it being public

Sounds dumb, "look Nintendo the joy it brings people looking at stolen property"

Nah, it's dumb to not recognize that this is akin to unearthing some new works by Da Vinci or Shakespeare. Of fucking course people want that to be public. But usually we have to wait until the creator is dead. For big corporations, who knows how long that will be, and if the works will still be preserved by that time.

At least the older stuff is old enough that Nintendo will lose nothing by the leak. The newer stuff, sure.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That Diamond & Pearl stuff is huge, the community has always had issues with modding Gen 4, this might get us some cool rom hacks down the line.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I'm surprised this stuff is still leaking. I thought the guy who stole the files got caught and charged with being a pedophile among the obvious charges.

As far as I recall the guy got caught, but supposedly he gave the stuff to other people before that happened, I remember reading that somewhere it might've been on this board.

EDIT: Or maybe I've been mistaken with a different hacking incident. But there was that famous 2TB hack of which the stuff got released slowly, no idea why.

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Nah, it's dumb to not recognize that this is akin to unearthing some new works by Da Vinci or Shakespeare. Of fucking course people want that to be public. But usually we have to wait until the creator is dead. For big corporations, who knows how long that will be, and if the works will still be preserved by that time.

At least the older stuff is old enough that Nintendo will lose nothing by the leak. The newer stuff, sure.
Yeah. When we say preservation we are obviously talking about preserving it publicly. That's why stuff is displayed in museums.

The only aspect of this leak that bums me is the possibility of doxxing devs and personal, private information of employees becoming public. If Nintendo released this stuff themselves they could scrub personal info off.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm excited to see where future discoveries from this batch go; there's been a ton of interesting things already after all.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
No, that person didn't get caught with being a pedophile. Instead, it was 2 people charged under the UK's Computer Misuse Act that criminalises unauthorised access to computers.

arstechnica.com

British Microsoft, Nintendo hacker given 18 month sentence

Released on bail for hacking Microsoft, Zammis Clark then hacked Nintendo.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So Nintendo keeps SNES source code but Squaresoft threw away FFVIII source code? LMAO.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The Gameboy emu was probably repurposed for 3DS GB emulation

Ok, so this "Super Donkey" game was definitely a DK game for the SNES, developed by EAD, then Rare pitched DKC and they retooled some ideas into Super Mario Bros. 5 starring Yoshi, later renamed Yoshi's Island.

I think there is a "missing link" between Super Donkey and SMB5 (which is pretty much an early version of Yoshi's Island). We are missing a Yoshi game with similar graphics to Super Donkey (like a bigger sprite for the main character). This missing prototype would pretty much fit with the version of Yoshi's Island shown to Yamauchi, which looked like the intro of the finale game.
maxresdefault.jpg

A Super Donkey version of Yoshi's Island would also fit what the guys behind Plok said. Nintendo was supposed to publish Plok, but then they changed their mind because the game looked too much like Yoshi's Island.

plok.gif

Now imagine a Super Donkey starring Yoshi... That would be very similar to Plok.
It does seem similar looking at how it plays. I love Plok! I'd love to play some of Super Donkey just for comparisons sake even looking at the boss earlier looks like it could be straight out of Plok.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Having the Pokemon Trainer as a silhouette in the background of the battle UI in the beta is kino. Should have kept it for DP.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
the Choumakaimura/Super Ghouls N Ghosts in this leak has some weird differences. Music is faster and there's a weird beartrap style spike trick that comes out of the chests? it's even harder than the final version lol.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Yoshi's Island starting out as a Donkey Kong game explains Miyamoto calling DKC mediocre.
That was a hoax. Miyamoto commented on it himself in 2010:
The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

The whole quote about "players putting with mediocre gameplay if the art is good" was never real.