• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beta Barry Design

JwCc3I8.png
Yeah we saw this design actually in CoroCoro way back when the prerelease period of DP.

Wanna see what he looks like up close.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Two things:

1. I'm not convinced some of those clips in the OP aren't creepypasta.

2. Reading the OP felt like cracking open a sealed Egyptian tomb.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Holy mother of god. Basically native ports of all those games likely on the way to every platform in the future.

Thats not even considering what can be learned from a design perspective and then see a little bit into what they were thinking with the code literally right there.
That's not how this works.
It's literally a data leak. i.e Nintendo's private data has leaked onto the internet.
Perhaps by the dictionary definition of the word, but modern usage generally means someone with access to the information shared it with people they weren't supposed to. That's not what happened here.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Beta Barry Design:

JwCc3I8.png

Badges:

QR8jDlK.png

Apparently Barry's battle sprite is Wally in this version.

That's not how this works.

Perhaps by the dictionary definition of the word, but modern usage generally means someone with access to the information shared it with people they weren't supposed to. That's not what happened here.

Right, the information was obtained from hacking into private servers in this case.

Oct 27, 2017
Could someone make 60fps versions of Star Fox 1 & 2, through an emulator or something now that they have the source code? Because hoo boy.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh early Barry looks a lot like Cynthia.

In the final version he's the son of Palmer the Tower Tycoon. Maybe at one point he was Cynthia's younger brother...or son, depending on how old she is.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Why does the 4th badge look like Lip from the Panel De Pon series?

If it's placeholder art, it might be Lip, just done as a joke.

I think it's supposed to be a seed or sprout that resembles a girl's head, if it indeed was intended as a final design at one point. But I think it's more likely placeholder based on the other badges.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
These funds have been super fascinating. So much never-before-seen content. It's a gold mine!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if we got that Yoshi...would they have given it a more bipedal form for it's playable appearances in sport titles?

Or would he never drive a kart.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty amazed Nintendo kept good care of their source code for their games for generations, especially hearing how Sega and SquareSoft would lose their source for their games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
There is a early early early Mario Kart 64 build from a SGI Indy workstation in this leak.

xdPewfx.png

Characters:
kame
kinopio
kong
kuppa
mario
peach
yossy
Oh shit! Both Kamek and Donkey Kong are in there; but doesn't that go against what we've previously assumed about the latter replacing the former during development?

Wonder what the absence of Luigi and Wario means.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How funny. Looks a lot like the Saurus from Quest for Glory 2:

16-ch1313.png

And speaking of shows, have I got the saurus for you. The Saurus. That's where you look for synonyms. And speaking of sin, when it comes to sauruses, well, let's just keep your personal preferences a secret, shall we? (They don't call it Saurus Rex for nothing.)

Will

Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit! Both Kamek and Donkey Kong are in there; but doesn't that go against what we've previously assumed about the latter replacing the former during development?

I wonder if it's Donkey Kong Jr. Could have just taken the original Super Mario Kart cast and replaced Koopa Troopa with Kamek for this build.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Could someone make 60fps versions of Star Fox 1 & 2, through an emulator or something now that they have the source code? Because hoo boy.

There are emulators that already do that. But those games were not made to be played at 60fps since everything else gets desynchronized.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is cool from a preservation standpoint... But I do wish companies would release this stuff on their own instead of having hackers dunno this stuff.

That said, this goes to show how serious Nintendo has been holding onto everything over the last 25+years and leaves me hopeful they'll eventually release more finished or near finished games like star fox 2.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I can't believe those hackers leaked my recurring dream
unknown.png

this is apparently a doc attached to the F-Zero source.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Kame means turtle in Japanese so it could just be a Koopa they pulled from Super Mario Kart. Kamek probably came later before they were inevitably cut.

Deigham

Nov 17, 2019
You see companies like Konami lose Silent Hills codes and Square losing FF codes from game from CD eras.

And then there is Nintendo with a giant archive full of everything with ancient stuff from a long era before CDs.

Absolute respect.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

It says Kame not Kamek, maybe it was supposed to be a Koopa Troopa(Nokonoko) early on, and it just says "Kong" got to see if it was DK or Jr.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
This is cool from a preservation standpoint... But I do wish companies would release this stuff on their own instead of having hackers dunno this stuff.

That said, this goes to show how serious Nintendo has been holding onto everything over the last 25+years and leaves me hopeful they'll eventually release more finished or near finished games like star fox 2.
Yeah, in a perfect world, a lot of this stuff would've been public domain by now. I do hope Nintendo at least understands the joy this is bringing a lot of people right now.

Kudos to them for hanging on to all this code still though.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Kame means turtle in Japanese so it could just be a Koopa they pulled from Super Mario Kart. Kamek probably came later before they were inevitably cut.
I know; but wouldn't they likely use "nokonoko" if it was Koopa Troopa? Everyone else is at least using a part of their name (if not just their actual name).

Koopa Troopa being considered at some point would be new regardless, so it's not like i'm against the possibility. Going from DK/DK Jr. to Kamek and then back to DK during development would be pretty funny though.