• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Pajama Elf Boy OC before they were turned into Baby Mario

gTWpSPn.png

seen here below

jTWqsNb.png
After the DK concept was tossed it was going to be a solo Yoshi adventure not featuring Baby Mario? Twist after twist here.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So how does this stuff even happen? I can't imagine current-day employees needing access to repos for SNES-era titles.

Don't know if this true but someone on 4chan said this:
Some guy got access to Nintendo's servers 2-3 years a go, went for trial but didn't go to jail because of autism/disability claim. He backed up 2tb of data and has been leaking it over time.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of interesting to me to think that in this Super Donkey prototype, Donkey Kong wasn't the main character. Which makes sense because that's how the older Donkey Kong games were. But now we live in a world where of course Donkey Kong is a main character of his own franchise, so it feels weird.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck dude

Nintendo had a black woman in the 90s? They should have kept her

I mean honestly, I'm all for diversity and all but I don't think a random human woman would of really 'fit' Star Fox. TBH I still find the Star Fox characters in Starlink really jarring when put in the same frame as Ubisoft's generic humans/aliens.

The impression I get is that this human woman, as well as the sheep, were replaced by Miyu and Fay in the final version of SF2 which was never officially released until 2017 lol. And honestly I vastly prefer those two.

I just wish Nintendo would actually utilize them more

Keeping one PoC woman in a world (or is that solar system?) of only anthropomorphic animals may have some unfortunate implications.

This too.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the same thing, it's like a double edge sword.
I feel like stuff like that happened in some 90's Saturday morning cartoons, but it was always explicitly pointed out that the 1 Random Human person was from earth who got transported into the story through hijinx, and that 1 Random Human was usually the protagonist as well.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
This is amazing. I'm gonna need someone to apply the necessary affine transformations to the SMW Mode 7 map so I can see what that would have looked like!!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
All that stuff is absolutely *mindblowing* holy fuck! 2020 is redeemed!

I like how it validates and exemplifies many of the things that were said by developers about beta versions! I remember Miyamoto talking about how baby Mario wasn't in a bubble crying before, but that they made him that way because players were not feeling pressured to get him back quickly if they had time, resulting in them wasting their rescue counter. Now we know exactly that this was true and how it behaved!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Donkey Kong sprite was already known about for a while:

Smw2_dk2.png

But the implication that Yoshi's Island started out as a Donkey Kong game definitely adds an interesting wrinkle to it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there's any Virtual Boy stuff in there. All those canceled first party Nintendo games.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt any company would, especially not Nintendo but I would love if this loosened some lips over Yoshi's Island development and its possible genesis from a Donkey Kong game.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I'm not fully convinced that Star Fox 2 character is actually human.

So what's up with these Nintendo leaks? You'd think that they bolstered their server security since the last leak some months back.
I'll admit up front I don't know a lot of details about all this but it sure seems like "leak" is a really prettied up word for "theft" in this case.

It'll came from that one big leak from a while back from what I remember reading supposedly they have a lot of stuff still unreleased like some N64/64DD things. Yeah it was basically stolen because the guy hacked into Nintendo's servers.

These Mario sprites exist in the SNES Test Program.

This was gonna be a DK game? With Yoshi's Island-esque aesthetic? The swinging even makes sense.

The "Grinder Kong" has been known for a while it's on the retail game data even.

This Super Donkey prototype is very fascinating.

The main character could fly

The stomp move and it effects got recycled for Mario Maker 2!

#DeepestLore

Actually it appeared on the first Mario Maker too.

At one point they had sidescrolling parts... interesting

Then again Link's Awakening had them.

...Oh wow.

Seen here: Mario at age -1 aiding Yoshi in bombing bandit villages in the jungles of Yoshi's Island.

Part of that was left in the full game, its purpose was unknown until now, I guess it was scrapped late into development?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So holy shit, I'm in the SMW Central discord right now where people are sifting through stuff, and someone there found fucking Konami prototypes

Specfically, he played a Castlevania 4 prototype in the voice chat, and the music for it was WAY worse than the final game, it also had bad collison detection and seemed all around much more difficult. fascinating stuff!

Also seemed like there were Goemon and Parodius prototypes too.

Don't have any images on hand (dude streamed it via voice chat), but I think its clear we got more than just Nintendo prototypes here. it seems like we have a god damn SNES goldmine of prototypes!

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
So holy shit, I'm in the SMW Central discord right now where people are sifting through stuff, and someone there found fucking Konami prototypes

Specfically, he played a Castlevania 4 prototype in the voice chat, and the music for it was WAY worse than the final game, it also had bad collison detection and seemed all around much more difficult. fascinating stuff!

Also seemed like there were Goemon and Parodius prototypes too.

Don't have any images on hand (dude streamed it via voice chat), but I think its clear we got more than just Nintendo prototypes here. it seems like we have a god damn SNES goldmine of prototypes!

Not surprising, it seems Nintendo themselves keep prototypes and source code of third party games, that's how Seiken Densetsu 3's source code was recovered.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Don't know if this true but someone on 4chan said this:
Some guy got access to Nintendo's servers 2-3 years a go, went for trial but didn't go to jail because of autism/disability claim. He backed up 2tb of data and has been leaking it over time.

I thought this was a different one, not that guy, some different guy who hacked ique servers.