• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It says they are getting luggage then through customs so they are local to Illinois. Connections would not get luggage or go through customs.

EVERYONE coming into the US goes thru customs unless you pre-clear (aka go thru customs on foreign soil). Normally you land, go thru immigration, get your bag, go thru customs, the either recheck for next flight or leave airport.

I feel for the person running ORD's twitter. It's not their fault the Feds are so incompetent.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
You absolutely have a country-wide spread of the disease. I really hope your Government handles it better from now on than the Spanish Government has.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Arrived in DFW from Portland at 3pm after a 1.5 hour snow delay. Looks like I absolutely dodged a bullet getting out before the airport became overwhelmed.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
The next thing that will happen once they get home is to go out and stock up on supplies they otherwise won't have because they've been away (and from panic), potentially seeding any possible infection onto other shoppers in their local communities.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The federal government has handled this so poorly.

These people are so probably rushing to get home before the deadline just to make certain they wouldn't have issues, right? Likely paying even more money for a ticket on short notice?

This is a total nightmare.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
This is insane. This is probably the beginning of a substantial outbreak.

Though, we won't know because there's no tests.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought US citizens and permanent residents and their families were exempt from th travel ban? Why is everyone rushing home?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong, but it's insane to me that people would have seen Trump speak, but then not do any further research before booking a flight and flying home (to see the various corrections)

With zero warning he immediately blocked all travel from Europe for non-citizens.

If I was in Europe I would get back as soon as possible because the next step would be to block all travel for anyone, and knowing how irrational and knee jerk Trump is about everything I would have no warning at all of when this might happen.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
With zero warning he immediately blocked all travel from Europe for non-citizens.

If I was in Europe I would get back as soon as possible because the next step would be to block all travel for anyone, and knowing how irrational and knee jerk Trump is about everything I would have no warning at all of when this might happen.
That's the thing that's astonishing. Just the lack of foresite and clarity. They've even gone through this once before with their so called Muslim ban!

If this was an episode of the apprentice hosted by mother nature, she found "our" strategy wanting. We would be fired.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
VKNuNAg.gif

VjIL2IE.png
This is plague inc in real life.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like in 50 to 100 years, people will be watching history documentaries about how we royally fucked up the response to this pandemic. Like it is unbelievable how badly we have fucked this up. I feel like we are on the precipice of this just wildly spiraling out of control.
Part of it is the incompetence of the people in charge, part of it is the stupidity of the public, and a good chunk of it is the fact that nobody is alive who can remember the last pandemic of this kind and we hadn't even invented air travel or large swaths of modern medicine when it happened.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
same problem at the Airport in Mexico City. it was overcrowded with europeans circumventing the Europe ban trying to get into the US via Mexico.

seriously, at this point I'd suggest all countries let in only citizens and permanent residents.

Airports are going to be overwhlemed with the screeing and checking. they can't do the "nationals" vs "visitors" line and it shows in the pics here, everyone should be a national to speed up the process.

Tourists, visitors or whatever have no fucking business traveling around during a pandemic, just rebook for a later part of the year for christ's sake

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
This is crazy, I can't believe all this people didn't realise that US citizens were not impacted by the travel ban?

If so, the messaging must have been handled horribly

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
same problem at the Airport in Mexico City. it was overcrowded with europeans circumventing the Europe ban trying to get into the US via Mexico.

seriously, at this point I'd suggest all countries let in only citizens and permanent residents.

Airports are going to be overwhlemed with the screeing and checking. they can't do the "nationals" vs "visitors" line and it shows in the pics here, everyone should be a national to speed up the process.

Tourists, visitors or whatever have no fucking business traveling around during a pandemic, just rebook for a later part of the year for christ's sake
I anticipated the insanity of everyone returning on short notice, but I didn't think of the folks trying to circumvent it via other nations.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of testing if you're going to make people wait in a petri dish for hours? Might as well just let people in.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I caught one of the last flights from Australia to New Zealand that was scheduled to arrive before the mandatory 14 day quarantine on all arriving people went into effect. We landed at 11:10 PM NZ time, and the mandatory isolation order went into effect at 1 AM. There were a whole lot of people in line at customs but the lines were moving at a reasonable pace.

Now that the quarantine is in effect NZ officials seem to be very serious about enforcing it: everyone entering the country must self-isolate for 14 days and officials will be checking up on people to make sure they're actually doing it.

From what I saw in Australia, they're not taking it seriously enough. Bars and restaurants in Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane were full. A huge cruise ship was in port in Sydney and there were huge crowds of tourists around the harbor. It took forever for them to cancel the Melbourne Grand Prix. In fact, for a while they wanted the event to still take place even though the F1 race was called off. A huge gathering of 300,000 people. Foolishness.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a co-worker who had to return from a trip to visit relatives in Hungary on the first flight they could get because they're Canadian citizens. I imagine she was in that line at ORD.

Last edited:

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Canadian government is urging all Canadians to return home ASAP.
If this gets worse they may eventually close the borders.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
O'Hare is a disaster on a normal day so seeing this....I probably would've freaked out being in that line if I'm being honest. Our government continues to fail us and the Trump admin can't use their normal sound bites on this one. Living in Chicago, I can say this has made me feel like I need to socially distance even more. I just let my husband know I'm not even going to church today.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
O'Hare is a disaster on a normal day so seeing this....I probably would've freaked out being in that line if I'm being honest. Our government continues to fail us and the Trump admin can't use their normal sound bites on this one. Living in Chicago, I can say this has made me feel like I need to socially distance even more. I just let my husband know I'm not even going to church today.

Even our church is closed through March at least.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Even our church is closed through March at least.
Our pastor put out a statement that the church was disinfected but the whole point is to not be around a bunch of people. The congregation skews older as well so it seems a bit irresponsible. My husband is super into church so he is going today but I would prefer he didn't. They livestream the service so I really don't understand why they don't just do that and close the church.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Matthew Yglesias @mattyglesias

Smart of Trump to gather a large fraction of every American who's been to Europe recently into one of several huge crowded rooms ensuring widespread transmission right before everyone dispersed to their various communities. Way better than discouraging handshakes.

6:34 AM - Mar 15, 2020

Benjamin Wittes @benjaminwittes

President Trump personally arranged for large crowds of people entering the United States from high risk countries to stand in large crowds together in enclosed spaces for protracted periods of time. He did that while tweeting "SOCIAL DISTANCING!"​

8:49 AM - Mar 15, 2020

Last edited: