• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The "he died" arguments do nothing to address OPs question. OP was clearly focused on before the snap.

The plot hole is that Tony has a higher pain tolerance than the Hulk. Ok sure.

The answer is it's a plot hole and makes no sense.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell do you have to snap your fingers to make the infinity stones work? I thought it was just an affectation by Thanos but then in endgame his plan literally fails because he can't snap his fingers. They could have saved the entire universe by just dumping a bunch of oil on the gauntlet.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The "he died" arguments do nothing to address OPs question. OP was clearly focused on before the snap.

The plot hole is that Tony has a higher pain tolerance than the Hulk. Ok sure.

The answer is it's a plot hole and makes no sense.
It seems to me both the infinity gauntlet and stark gauntlet let you harness the power of the stones. With those anyone can do the snap, but only extremely powerful beings can survive it.

Tony clearly paid the price for using the power

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why the hell do you have to snap your fingers to make the infinity stones work? I thought it was just an affectation by Thanos but then in endgame his plan literally fails because he can't snap his fingers. They could have saved the entire universe by just dumping a bunch of oil on the gauntlet.
Yeah, this is more egregious to me than Tony surviving long enough to use the Stones a single time.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
He should have said "We are the Avengers" instead of "I am Ironman".

That would have been a better closure to his arc, that it's not all about him, that it's the team.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
In fairness, this is simply not true. The Aether was literally killing Jane in Thor 2, and GotG suggests this is the case with all of the Infinity Stones.

I was under the impression it was killing her because it was inside of her. Haven't they touched the space stone and time stone several times?

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
In the comics you don't, but the Russos and Feige talked about how they made the conscious decision to add the requirement of snapping to use all the stones in order to create tension in scenes such as the fight scene on Titan, when Thanos was in Wakanda, and the end of Endgame.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was under the impression it was killing her because it was inside of her. Haven't they touched the space stone and time stone several times?
Yeah, but the Time Stone only appeared well after Guardians 1, and the Tesseract was revealed to be a Space Stone later. Basically retcons.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sidebar, I felt like Paltrow's character was oddly accepting? of Tony's demise

She accepted it in the conversation they had st the house, when Tony first cracked time travel. She knew he was going to do everything he could to help reverse Thanos' victory, at whatever cost to himself. She knew he couldnt really rest if he could still help people and chose not to.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
No one ever actually physically touches the Time Stone, it seems to float near their hand but no closer, likewise we only see Thanos hold the Space Stone outside of its Tessaract housing (at first it seemed deadly to touch in CA: TFA as Red Skull disappeared from holding it in his hand but now it seems it was specifically attacking him rather than inherently deadly to touch). Hawkeye holds the Soul Stone in his bare hand to zero effect so clearly some are fine to touch.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Use the infinity stones with such ease?

Not 20 minutes earlier, we see Hulk put on the gauntlet and get brought to his knees. The stones completely fry his right arm even before he snaps, and he's screaming in agony the whole way. It takes him well over 30 seconds just to get the strength to lift his arm and snap his fingers.

Meanwhile, Tony, a regular ass human, nonchalantly wields the stones (keeping his arm upright the entire time), doesn't once scream in pain, doesn't get his arm immediately scorched off, and confidently snaps his fingers with almost no effort. Oh, and despite wielding cosmic power that would melt any mortal's flesh, he's able to get out a cool one-liner.

EXPLAIN THIS SHIT

Edit: Yeah I can see he died using it, but why didn't the rules apply up until the snap?

Adrenaline.

It was for dramatic effect.

But if we're going to argue it out, you could see the stones power coursing through Tony's whole suit - it took a few moments for the energy to begin to bleed out of the suit and crawl across his skin, and that is where he began to have trouble breathing. And struggled to say his final words.

Plus there's the whole point, related to dramatic effect of "I am Iron Man". It was a demonstration of Tony's pure will to not be defeated. He literally had an iron will - more will than Banner as the Hulk.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
In the comics you don't, but the Russos and Feige talked about how they made the conscious decision to add the requirement of snapping to use all the stones in order to create tension in scenes such as the fight scene on Titan, when Thanos was in Wakanda, and the end of Endgame.
They really shouldn't have relied on it so much though. Having him need to focus for a second or two while the stones start to light up and activate would have allowed for the same tension. A game of thumb wars to decide the fate of the universe just looks goofy.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
1. He literally died.
2. Tony's suit is powered by energy derived from an Infinity Stone, offering some insulation from the effects
3. He acts fast to wipe Thanos and his army out, so it may well have been killing him already even before the snap

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I assume the suit shielded him from some of the energy the stones were kickin' out. Then the snap fried him.
I also think that in that moment, he just had the will to wield them.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
My theory for the reason Hulk struggled so much to snap while Tony didn't is because he was trying to bring Natasha back to life, but the Stones wouldn't let him. He says as much to Cap at the end of the film.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Also, he originally didn't say anything. The movie very well could have ended with Tony screaming as he snaps his fingers. The "I am Iron Man" line was a suggestion from the editor, the Russos and Feige lost their shit and they immediately went to go reshoot that moment. But that line doesn't have the same power if it's cushioned in a bunch of pained screaming.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not only did it eventually kill him but it immediately put him into a real state of shock. His eyes were glazed over and he couldn't speak.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
As others have pointed out, Tony was able to sustain all that for dramatic effect and to have him utter a cool one liner. Not a bad decision at all since it paid off so well.
If you want an in-universe explanation, his suit protecting him/absorbing part of the stone's power and him only trying to kill Thanos and his army was considerably less complicated than trying to bring back half of all life in the universe and Black Widow. Not to mention Tony died.