• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
News not covering this at all, I guess body count was too low to overtake queen of England birthday coverage

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Just another day in this sick country. I'm not sure how we go forward from here. I guess we've accepted that mass death is just the cost of our "freedom" between the pandemic and this.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about this all the way here in Indonesia where I'm visiting family and they cannot believe this has happened again and has happened 200 times already just this year.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have put that on the list of realistically passable proposed measures from what Ive read, but fair enough. Do we know roughly what percentage of the cases you mentioned had prior documented dv charges that would've stopped them from purchasing a handgun, had a law like what you describe existed?

Btw we're on the same page, I am fine with banning them forever. Just being pragmatic

Well, no proposal is actually "realistic" because half of the legislature and half of the country believes that any barrier to a random asshole getting their hands on tools of Mass destruction = slavery.

But yeah All of the common sense legislation is near useless without a federal registry, which has no realistic chance of happening.

As for how many shooters have had DV charges prior, I'm not sure. But I would extend it to any felonies, restraining orders, DUI etc.

I don't think there's actually any interest in passing ACTUAL common sense legislation….

holidaykiss

Oct 14, 2021
philly
jesus, i literally live on this street - just a couple blocks away… my condolences to everyone that was hit/killed by this.

the rowdiness on south street can get out of hand but this is just a whole new level.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
On south st last night at 11pm and was wondering what all the sirens were for.

For more of this horrible shit :(

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I know a lot of people were looking at those cheap tickets to fly there this weekend too! I and a lot of my friends were going to hop on the super cheap flights there. This is so horrible.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Absolutely awful. 926 shootings (and 8 other mass shooting events) in philly so far this year which is simply fucking insane and that's after last year which had record-breaking numbers. The continued trauma that inflicts on a city population/community cannot be understated. No one should have to try and live through this shit.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
News not covering this at all, I guess body count was too low to overtake queen of England birthday coverage
image.jpg

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
You know, it might be sensible for all people to invest in bulletproof vests when being out in public in crowded areas or special events. America is a wild west warzone.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
You know, it might be sensible for all people to invest in bulletproof vests when being out in public in crowded areas or special events. America is a wild west warzone.

I've been thinking about getting one of those bulletproof backpacks for my daughter who is entering high school next year. But I don't want to make her anxious.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Close to my friend who lives in that area. And near where I wait for the bus sometimes.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
It stands to reason that even if all the 'common sense' gun control measures were embraced by gop and laws passed, it would not put much of a dent in most of these shootings. You might prevent outliers like buffalo and uvalde, but the bulk of them would continue.

Even if most wouldn't be stopped, like only a 10-15% reduction, wouldn't that still be well worth it?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Wow, I used to work literally a block away from where this happened.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick and tired of the gaslighting from the POG. I think a not insignificant number of people are against sensible gun laws for fear of having to account every one of the many number of stockpiled guns that many people have and wouldn't want the government to know that they have (talking 5 or more here).

People don't want to be held accountable for the weapons they own and don't want the bureaucracy and cost associated with hypothetical ownership and the responsibility and cost of securing their guns so that if they're robbed that they have to be held to account for anything that happens with one of their guns.

Accountability and being put on a watchlist for owning 20 plus guns and paying for registration for said guns is not something that most people that have that many guns would want to do.

It needs to be done though.

Cuz in reality they'd be fine with owning less guns and registering them; as long as they CAN own those guns—err security blankets.

If sensible gun laws were passed you'd have some pushback but most would simply accept it and move on: like when car insurance became standard and required.

We need to assuage and pacify the gun owners out there that everything is gonna be fiiiiiine. No one is gonna take awey your blanke-er-guns. It'll okay. You can keep all 20 handguns and 10 rifles (non assault), and 5 shotguns and thousands of rounds: as long as it's on the books and we know about it.

Pipe dream: but one we have to hold onto. We need to look to Australia and other countries for hope. And to push the "it'll be okay" narrative. *stomach turns thinking of this next thing to say* even offer incentives for every gun that people register. Ughh.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Philly has shootings almost every single day.

Doesn't get much national attention because it's usually in poorer neighborhoods.

South Street is a more popular spot though. I guess that's why this is getting more attention.

Local news has daily updates on the gun violence. Daily. They even have their own "Philly Violence" graphics dedicated to the gun violence on CBS Philly, it has become so common. Same way they used to do daily COVID reports.

Take a trip through America, and you'll find out that almost everything off the main drag feels pretty much hopeless.

As for Philly neighborhoods, the guy who bought Zitner's about a decade back was planning to flip the building, but it's astonishing that the guy actually saw the upside of keeping the business and its workers in the neighborhood. Tastykake basically took the money and ran.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First video I've seen of the actual shooting. Bunch of people shot over nothing.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
... You've got to be kidding me.
At the very least the cop did something and potentially prevented an even bigger massacre. That's a step-up from Uvalde.

According to this article, there has been over 200 mass shootings in the USA just this year. And we only reached June.
Mass shootings are in fact so much more frequent than I thought... But weapons are still being sold, and nothing is done about the Second Amendment. This is insane.

This shit stopped being breaking news and its just a daily occurence at this point.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
First video I've seen of the actual shooting. Bunch of people shot over nothing.

What the? Angry people with easy access to guns. It would definitely be happening here too if we could get our hands on firearms, as there are a lot of pissed off people here right now and its only going to get worse.