• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people will simply purchase guns from surrounding states and bring them into Cali. then when shootings continue the right will say, "see? gun laws don't work!" we need federal laws.
This will definitely happen but it will very likely also have some positive effect. Gun crime will decrease an that area, by a low percentage at first, but it's something you can point to as evidence (apart from the numerous international examples such as Australia). Some progressive state needs to make the first step at some point. Change obviously is not coming from the top because the NRA has half of America's politicians in their pockets.

RIP to the victims of this shooting!

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Last month, Steven Romero celebrated his sixth birthday at Legoland in California. On Sunday afternoon, he was shot and killed at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Northern California.
"There's nothing I really can do besides try to be with him until I can put him in his resting spot, wherever that is," his father Alberto Romero told NBC Bay Area.
"My son had his whole life to live and he was only six. That's all I can say."
Romero was at home with his 9-year-old daughter when he found out about the shooting. Steven had gone to the festival with his mother and grandmother, who were also injured in the shooting.
Romero said that Steven's mother had been shot in the hand twice, and he believes the grandmother shot in the leg.
In total, three people were killed and 15 injured in the shooting, authorities said.
Police also shot and killed a suspect who was carrying an assault-type rifle, according to a statement by the City of Gilroy. Police believe a second person may have been involved. The shooter entered the packed festival by cutting through a fence, police said. The festival had tight security, including metal detectors.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if the gunman was just spraying and caught the kid without deliberately aiming at him or did he take aim and kill a child on purpose?

Not that it makes much difference but for some reason I want to know.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the gunman was just spraying and caught the kid without deliberately aiming at him or did he take aim and kill a child on purpose?

Not that it makes much difference but for some reason I want to know.

There was a comment earlier in the thread from a woman that said that she saw a guy walking and spraying left to right and right to left. The boys mom and grandmother getting hit in the hands and leg would suggest that the gunman was certainly aiming lower in order to hit them there and to hit a little kid.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
If Sandy Hook didn't wake them up nothing will. I think even if their children's schools were shot up they'd still offer thoughts and prayers, or worse deny it even happened in the first place.

I listened to a podcast recently where they talked about a law that was passed where people can't sue gun companies when a mass shooting occurs. Apparently some parents from Sandy Hook found a loophole and a lawsuit is moving forward. I doubt anything will change but maybe something good will come from this.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing about this festival around this time last year and thinking it would be a fun thing to go to on account of it being so chill and quaint.

A garlic festival.

Fuck everything.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Fuck, just catching up on this now and such another horrible, tragic event. RIP to the victims and I hope they catch that other shooter ASAP.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a comment earlier in the thread from a woman that said that she saw a guy walking and spraying left to right and right to left. The boys mom and grandmother getting hit in the hands and leg would suggest that the gunman was certainly aiming lower in order to hit them there and to hit a little kid.

Depressing. Thanks.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This festival supposedly had a heavy police presence and still was able to inflict carnage. While I'm sure it helped in preventing it from being worse, it still doesn't hit the raw fact that you have a "good guy" with a gun at location and still can't stop multiple people being shot in seconds with modern firearms. Just horrible for all those involved, especially that boy's family. RIP.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
pretty much every single large event is going to need massive security. I was at quakecon and we had bag checks, police everywhere, and metal detectors. This is gonna be needed everywhere pretty soon.
I don't think the security circus is going prevent an attack like this. What's a couple beeps on a metal detector when you're already geared up with assault rifle, body armor etc.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I don't even know what to say or think. How we continue as a country to tolerate this sick shit is insanity. Over and over. That poor little boy, he just had his fucking birthday! Every single person in congress that allows this bullshit to happen should be forced to relive each of these horrific events first fucking hand. Absolutely and completely disgusting!

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
This festival supposedly had a heavy police presence and still was able to inflict carnage. While I'm sure it helped in preventing it from being worse, it still doesn't hit the raw fact that you have a "good guy" with a gun at location and still can't stop multiple people being shot in seconds with modern firearms. Just horrible for all those involved, especially that boy's family. RIP.
It's always too late. Unless the shooter somehow misses there will always be a body count before it's stopped.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
They apparently stopped him within 30 seconds. That's great, but unfortunately you can do a lot of damage with a firearm in thirty seconds.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
sandy hook was pretty much the point of no return.
If Sandy Hook didn't wake them up nothing will. I think even if their children's schools were shot up they'd still offer thoughts and prayers, or worse deny it even happened in the first place.
Nothing is stopping this train. Sandy Hook is proof of that.
A friend and I were talking about this not too long ago, about how America loves guns more than their own kids. We came to the conclusion that it would take a mass shooter to start shooting up dog kennels for the NRA to start caring about people's lives.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Maybe the 2nd suspect is someone who drove this jackass, would be as guilty so hope they find him or her.

Awful news, gutwrenching about the 6 year old boy. Gunman getting a shot to the head was a favor to that evil, should have been subdued and let him face the heinous crime for the rest of his life.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

The "good guy" with a gun can only react to whats happening. He can't do shit before anything happens and guns can kill a lot of people real fast, real easy unfortunately.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think the security circus is going prevent an attack like this. What's a couple beeps on a metal detector when you're already geared up with assault rifle, body armor etc.
Statistically its almost always about the power trip. If theres more means for that power trip to be cut short and a higher chance of bullets coming back at them almost all individuals tend to buckle, doesnt matter much what they have which is why they tent to pick areas with the least resistance or the highest concentration of individuals to maximize damage in the least amount of time. Especially when individuals arnt geared up with assault rifles or body armor (and unless you want to go full north holywood, a plate carrier isnt going to stop a 5.56 in your gut from hurting), but semi-auto weapons and a chest rig which aint stopping shit.

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
nope. unfortunately I'm pretty confident that the current supreme court would overturn any gun restriction that'd do a lick of good.

This is, sadly, why DC did not fight the overturn of our gun restrictions - carried to the Supreme Court, there was potential for it to overturn most gun laws in the US. So DC took the collective loss.