• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I work for a Fortune 500 company and had what amounted to a 'how to survive a mass shooting' online course today. That was something....new. We have these generic, repetitive courses about various things each year but this was outside the norm.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
An hour away, fucking hell. I can't stomach this shit anymore, it's hit so close to home this time but it's breaking my damn heart every time no matter where it is.

How much longer can we realistically live like this? Even the worst of the scum politicians have to feel the blood dripping from their hands now.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this shooting carried out with a handgun? I mean, even if a miracle did happen, and all guns, bar handguns, were outlawed, it is scary that you could still carry out a mass shooting with one.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
This is the country we live in now and it's ridiculous.
My daughter (11) had an evacuation today at school due to a written threat found in the bathroom. She texted me "this is not a drill, there's a chance I might die. I love you" and I had a hard time breathing. Luckily I was able to call her right away, but it's very upsetting

Damn.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So desensitized this isn't even 2 pages
Just yesterday I was seeing a report on TV about Parkland, which made me bring up the fact that we hadn't had a mass shooting in a while and we were probably gonna have one any day now then this happened today. The sad reality, though, is that 5 dead doesn't really count as a "mass shooting" anymore. There has to be a lot more deaths for American to even react to it and then it'll only be for an extra day or two unless there's something extra noteworthy about said shooting because just death isn't noteworthy anymore.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Just yesterday I was seeing a report on TV about Parkland, which made me bring up the fact that we hadn't had a mass shooting in a while and we were probably gonna have one any day now then this happened today.
Sadly, Parkland is old news. Since then we lost 11 in Pittsburgh in October and 12 in Thousand Oaks, CA in November.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
An hour away, fucking hell. I can't stomach this shit anymore, it's hit so close to home this time but it's breaking my damn heart every time no matter where it is.

How much longer can we realistically live like this? Even the worst of the scum politicians have to feel the blood dripping from their hands now.
When they didn't feel the blood after nearly 30 kids were murdered in sandyhook, that proved they never will.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I just got home from working all day and just heard whispers about this, then I got filled in. Wtf! This is like 10 minutes away from where I was. This country has a 3 letter disease that needs to be eradicated

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I hope the next democratically elected democratic president does declare a state of emergency of all all firearms.

This is the country we live in now and it's ridiculous.
My daughter (11) had an evacuation today at school due to a written threat found in the bathroom. She texted me "this is not a drill, there's a chance I might die. I love you" and I had a hard time breathing. Luckily I was able to call her right away, but it's very upsetting
This is harrowing. I would have gone down to the school myself.... ugh.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Dude killed because he was fired? It doesn't take much to triggered a person, does it? How safe do you feel knowing people around you might be armed and one bad news could start the killing?

RIP to the victims. This may be insensitive as fuck, but I really hope the suspect was white.

It's insensitive as fuck and you should feel ashamed saying it. Also seek help if you have this kind of thought again.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
It's insensitive as fuck and you should feel ashamed saying it. Also seek help if you have this kind of thought again.
When the color of a perpetrator is used as ammo for the depreciation of minorities by racists, then I don't see why I should seek help for saying that I hope he's white. There's literally nothing wrong with what I said.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Glad I live in Australia. An employee at my work was fired yesterday after 17 years (he was an asshole) and he absolutely seems like the type who would do this. Thankfully we just got the locks changed, job done.

Jul 18, 2018
When the color of a perpetrator is used as ammo for the depreciation of minorities by racists, then I don't see why I should seek help for saying that I hope he's white. There's literally nothing wrong with what I said.
Well... the police identified the shooter as 45 year old Gary Martin and he is not white.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
trump will only give a shit about this, if the shooter is illegal.. anything else is thoughts and prayers, and praise to the first responders.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If only we could determine the common factor in these gun deaths we could do something about it. Oh, I know. The victims were unarmed. They could have prevented this disaster.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Wasn't this shooting carried out with a handgun? I mean, even if a miracle did happen, and all guns, bar handguns, were outlawed, it is scary that you could still carry out a mass shooting with one.

The issue isn't just about the gun but also how someone like Martin had access to one. According to police he'd been cited for multiple crimes before, including assault and battery.

If this guy had a history of violence, how was he still able to possess a firearm?

At the end of the day, the gun control argument can't and shouldn't be solely about the guns themselves. Though there's certainly arguments for why certain guns should be banned, the conversation also needs to be about access.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My wife, through Facebook, knows the mother of the HR intern who was killed. This is so fucked up.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The issue isn't just about the gun but also how someone like Martin had access to one. According to police he'd been cited for multiple crimes before, including assault and battery.

If this guy had a history of violence, how was he still able to possess a firearm?

At the end of the day, the gun control argument can't and shouldn't be solely about the guns themselves. Though there's certainly arguments for why certain guns should be banned, the conversation also needs to be about access.
He got the gun legally...

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I work for a Fortune 500 company and had what amounted to a 'how to survive a mass shooting' online course today. That was something....new. We have these generic, repetitive courses about various things each year but this was outside the norm.

The company I work for has also started rolling this into our mandatory annual safety trainings. Previously just covered things like how to safely evacuate during a fire, now also includes a video dramatization of a mass shooting taking place in an office, and how you should run or hide.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
We need a buyback program now. Anything to get the ball rolling and reduce gun circulations.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
Dude killed because he was fired? It doesn't take much to triggered a person, does it? How safe do you feel knowing people around you might be armed and one bad news could start the killing?

"He seemed perfectly fine," White said. "I've seen him out there ... with his drones."

People who spoke to CBS Chicago described Martin as a loner.

"He always kept to himself," she said.

Neighbors were only familiar with Martin because of the time he spent outside, flying drones or working on his car, according to CBS Chicago.

"He would wave at us or stare at us. ... Kinda creepy," said Jaclyn White, another neighbor.

Authorities in the Chicago suburb said Martin was let go from his job at a manufacturing warehouse in Aurora Friday when he opened fire on his co-workers. He was a 15-year employee of the Henry Pratt Company, Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman said Friday.

Dude worked there for 15 years so probably felt crushed and was full of rage. The world is so freaking insane that you don't know what will make a person tilt to take it to this monster level... especially in America

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Tragic situation all round. I feel desperately sorry for the friends and families of everyone who died, or were caught up in this, but I can't help have some sympathy for the shooter too. Losing his job sounds like it tipped him over the edge, but he probably needed a mental health intervention well before this happened, although it sounds like nobody could have predicted this outcome, even with his past. It's scary to think how many people are one upset away from breaking point.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
He got the gun legally...

Yes he did. Which then comes the question of when did he purchase the firearm? Was it before or after these incidents which required police to be called?

Is this a failure of the background check system or perhaps with our laws that allow people who've engaged in violent crimes to keep their firearms? These are questions that need to be asked in order to ascertain why we're letting people with histories of violence to possess deadly weapons.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yes he did. Which then comes the question of when did he purchase the firearm? Was it before or after these incidents which required police to be called?

Is this a failure of the background check system or perhaps with our laws that allow people who've engaged in violent crimes to keep their firearms? These are questions that need to be asked in order to ascertain why we're letting people with histories of violence to possess deadly weapons.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...otout-gary-martin-police-officers/2890406002/
Ziman told reporters that Martin had six prior arrests, including one in 2008 for a domestic matter and one in 2017 for disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property.

She said he had been issued an Illinois firearms I.D. and then purchased the Smith & Wesson handgun from a local dealer in March 11, 2014. The weapon was believed to be used in the rampage.

Five days later, when he applied for a concealed carry permit, his fingerprints turned up a felony conviction in Mississippi in 1995. At that point, the firearms I.D. permitting him to carry the handgun was revoked.
"During the fingerprinting and background process it was discovered that he had a felony conviction for aggravated assault out of Mississippi," Ziman said. "It should be noted that this conviction would not have shown up on a criminal background check conducted for an FOID card."
It's a failure in the system, hence, the need for gun control reform discussions.

He shouldn't have gotten a gun legally, yet, he was still able to.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Then we know of multiple issues with his access to a firearm then that should be something looked into when we're talking about writing gun control legistlation. For instance, why his firearm was still in his possession when his permit was revoked? Or why that conviction in Mississippi wouldn't have shown up in the background check.

Fundamentally all this shows is that the system is broken in regards to how people can have access to firearms, which then necessitates, as I mentioned that the gun control conversation needs to not just be about the guns themselves but also access.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
RIP to the victims. This may be insensitive as fuck, but I really hope the suspect was white.

Here's how you can be leas insensitive for future reference:

"I hope society focus their response on the actual issues at hand as opposed to latching on to things such as race or religion"

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Then we know of multiple issues with his access to a firearm then that should be something looked into when we're talking about writing gun control legistlation. For instance, why his firearm was still in his possession when his permit was revoked? Or why that conviction in Mississippi wouldn't have shown up in the background check.

Fundamentally all this shows is that the system is broken in regards to how people can have access to firearms.
I don't understand your position even.

You initially said it's not about gun control, but it is about gun control, because gun control isnt't about getting rid of guns, it's about controlling the access to them as well.

I'm not sure exactly what you keep trying to argue here beyond, guns aren't bad, people are, position.