• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this being reported anywhere more... Reputable?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to write that this is some shocking news, but I can't. It just feels like the logical next step.
The US will never live this shit down, electing literal Nazis to the White House.

StephDiesel

Feb 2, 2018
Is the presumption the hysterectomies were for sterilization?? If so, doesn't make any sense to me as there are much safer/easier/cheaper ways to sterilize... think I'll wait for confirmation from other outlets.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Is this being reported anywhere more... Reputable?

I'm kind of hoping this ends up being a prank. If this is actually true and outlets like New York Times and Washington Post end up corroborating this, it's going to create a pretty uncrossable line in the sand for people who support Trump and people who don't.

Nov 7, 2017
Was this practice done only during the Trump administration? How deep does this rabbit hole go? There needs to be hearings and investigations going on if we get a Biden administration and ICE def needs to be dissolved and let CBP take over their responsibilities in the meantime

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Was this practice done only during the Trump administration? How deep does this rabbit hole go? There needs to be hearings and investigations going on if we get a Biden administration and ICE def needs to be dissolved and let CBP take over their responsibilities in the meantime

Fuck CBP too. Dissolve the entirety of the DHS. Modern Nuremburg trials for everyone.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
As an Ob/Gyn there are a few things that stand out to me in this article.
First, it sounds like that doctor may be too trigger happy on the hysterectomy option, but it's hard to say without more context. There are a multitude of reasons to perform a hysterectomy from abnormal bleeding refractory to medication to cervical cancer to anatomic problems like prolapse and fibroids. It is one of the most common surgical procedures performed in the United States! It is not generally done for sterilization purposes, though it is certainly an important side effect. It is shocking to see in a headline because of that side effect, but it is a good surgery that improves the quality of life for many, many women and the surgery itself should not be demonized. I would like to know what the physician's rationale was for these surgeries. Maybe because he/she felt that it would be those patients' only opportunity to have such a surgery done they were more likely to do the be-all end-all gynecological surgery? I have met providers like that. Access to care in Latin America is even worse than it is in the US and you would be shocked by the medical conditions women in these countries live with because they have no alternatives. Honestly, I'd be more appalled if the whistleblower said the physician did a disturbing number of tubal ligations which are simple procedures purely intended for sterilization.

Second, a lot of these issues sound like systemic problems. Lack of double checking and shoddy translation is a recipe for medical errors, such as removing a structure on the incorrect sideMany of the patients I operated on in residency spoke only Spanish, so we had specialized medical interpreters and written consents in Spanish. You must be very careful in addressing the language barrier and Google is not at all sufficient. The patients complaint:
She was originally told by the doctor that she had an ovarian cyst and was going to have a small twenty-minute procedure done drilling three small holes in her stomach to drain the cyst," according to the complaint. "The officer who was transporting her to the hospital told her that she was receiving a hysterectomy to have her womb removed. When the hospital refused to operate on her because her COVID-19 test came back positive for antibodies, she was transferred back to ICDC where the ICDC nurse said that the procedure she was going to have done entailed dilating her vagina and scraping tissue off.
Demonstrates a severe lack of health literacy and there is no way she made informed consent for any procedure. And that she was told 3 different things about what procedure she was having done is particularly harrowing. It makes this hospital system sound completely and dangerously inept.
All this being said, it is gratifying to see that these women are receiving at least some medical care while in custody. Immigrant women usually have no medical safety net whatsoever and experience significant barriers to medical care. Typically incarcerated women in the US do have excellent access to care however, so in a way I am glad that they are receiving care at all. Obviously their surgical center and hospital need some work and these allegations must be taken seriously, but hopefully these women are getting preventative care like Pap smears and mammograms that they otherwise would not have access to. Please note, this is not a justification for their incarceration. That practice is detestable

Let me know if any of you want any clarification on the medical aspect of this, I'd be glad to share knowledge if I can

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This is shit straight out of the Nazi playbook. Fucking vile. ICE needs to be completely disbanded and people need to be put behind bars for their role in this.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT THE FUCK?!

How can this be defended!?

This isn't pro-body or pro-choice. This is inhuman. ALL fucking Americans have to be against this.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I am so angry from reading that thread. FUCK ICE and every single piece of shit involved with it.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First, it sounds like that doctor may be too trigger happy on the hysterectomy option, but it's hard to say without more context. There are a multitude of reasons to perform a hysterectomy from abnormal bleeding refractory to medication to cervical cancer to anatomic problems like prolapse and fibroids. It is one of the most common surgical procedures performed in the United States! It is not generally done for sterilization purposes, though it is certainly an important side effect. It is shocking to see in a headline because of that side effect, but it is a good surgery that improves the quality of life for many, many women. I would like to know what the physician's rationale was for these surgeries. Maybe because he/she felt that it would be those patients' only opportunity to have such a surgery done they were more likely to do the be-all end-all gynecological surgery? I have met providers like that. Access to care in Latin America is even worse than it is in the US and you would be shocked by the medical conditions women in these countries live with because they have no alternatives. Honestly, I'd be more appalled if the whistleblower said the physician did a disturbing number of tubal ligations which are simple procedures purely intended for sterilization.

Second, a lot of these issues sound like systemic problems. Lack of double checking and shoddy translation is a recipe for medical errors, such as removing a structure on the incorrect sideMany of the patients I operated on in residency spoke only Spanish, so we had specialized medical interpreters and written consents in Spanish. You must be very careful in addressing the language barrier and Google is not at all sufficient. The patients complaint:

Demonstrates a severe lack of health literacy and there is no way she made informed consent for any procedure. And that she was told 3 different things about what procedure she was having done is particularly harrowing. It makes this hospital system sound completely and dangerously inept.
All this being said, it is gratifying to see that these women are receiving at least some medical care while in custody. Immigrant women usually have no medical safety net whatsoever and experience significant barriers to medical care. Typically incarcerated women in the US do have excellent access to care however, so in a way I am glad that they are receiving care at all. Obviously their surgical center and hospital need some work and these allegations must be taken seriously, but hopefully these women are getting preventative care like Pap smears and mammograms that they otherwise would not have access to.

Let me know if any of you want any clarification on the medical aspect of this, I'd be glad to share knowledge if I can

I refuse to believe you're a doctor if you're seriously entertaining the idea that nearly every woman in this facility needs a hysterectomy.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I refuse to believe you're a doctor if you're seriously entertaining the idea that nearly every woman in these facilities needs a hysterectomy.
The article gives no information about the percentage of women who had this procedure, only that a nurse felt like they did a lot of them. I've worked with surgeons who perform 5-6 hysterectomies per week! It's an extremely common procedure. Of course I don't think every woman needs their uterus removed! That would be ridiculous and I never said that! I only said that without context it is impossible to say whether the doctor was justified. The bigger issue I see here is women undergoing surgery that they did not provide informed consent for

Samoyeti

Oct 27, 2017
Was this practice done only during the Trump administration? How deep does this rabbit hole go?

To be fair, this does go way back and not all the blame can be placed on the Trump Administration when California has a history of this fucking bullshit.

Los Angeles was home to some of the country's most dynamic eugenic organizations, which included physicians affiliated with the University of Southern California hospital system. Whether in operations in state institutions or federally funded county hospitals, most of those sterilized were the foreign born, the working class, and young women deemed "unfit" to procreate or parent.

The legacy of involuntary sterilization lingers in California. It is no coincidence, for instance, that the Golden State was home to Proposition 187, which was passed by a majority of votes in 1994 and strove to drastically restrict health, educational, and social services to "illegal aliens." Its intent and rhetoric strongly resembled that iterated by California eugenicists and the Department of the Institutions in the early 20th century in terms of who deserved access to health services during pregnancy (in this permutation, denial rather than the imposition of reproductive control), who was allowed to reproduce on American soil, and who should be deported.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
If the whistleblower report is true then this is absolutely horrifying and appalling, but unfortunately not at all out of line with what we've done in the past. Fuck ICE and fuck every ICE apologist straight to hell. This administration is so fucking evil
This is some real turn of the 20th century level fucked up stuff. Where are all of those pro life groups again?
They were never pro life, they're anti woman

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Crime against humanity. I spit on the face of US government and those who enabled it with their vote or lack of vote.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
This is distressing, especially coming from the USA.
There was a thread a few days back about what it was to grow up and look up the USA and thinking that it was the best place on Earth (thanks to the US shows and Hollywood movies). Then I grew up for real. To think I seriously considered this country as the defender of justice and democracy in the world. This is really sick...

Nov 7, 2017
The article gives no information about the percentage of women who had this procedure, only that a nurse felt like they did a lot of them. I've worked with surgeons who perform 5-6 hysterectomies per week! It's an extremely common procedure. Of course I don't think every woman needs their uterus removed! That would be ridiculous and I never said that! I only said that without context it is impossible to say whether the doctor was justified. The bigger issue I see here is women undergoing surgery that they did not provide informed consent for
This part is where I find appalling even more so than the actual headline in the OP. Why didn't they bring in medical translators instead of using fucking Google translate? I'm a nurse and I'm not even allowed to use any translator apps to translate for patients.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This part is where I find appalling even more so than the actual headline in the OP. Why didn't they bring in medical translators instead of using fucking Google translate? I'm a nurse and I'm not even allowed to use any translator apps to translate for patients.
Exactly!! Or why wouldn't fluency in Spanish be a pre-requisite to work in a facility where all of the women speak Spanish? This is the most shocking thing to me. There is no excuse for having substandard translation in any medical scenario.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I really don't have words to describe my anger.

I can only hope the people responsible get what's coming to them. Though I will not hold my breath.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I feel sick 🤢

And it's very likely that this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of horrors committed at these facilities (they're concentration camps).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This has been me all day:

Dumbfounded.gif

I just.... Im speechless.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017

Considering the context of this: women in facilities that are overcrowded, as has already been reported, there's a language barrier, and other abuses have been catalogued...

I don't think it even makes sense to consider the intent of the doctor. The fact is that this is being done to women without their consent. And these women are all in a vulnerable position. I seriously doubt that this was actually done for anyone's benefit.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucking vile, I have no words. America, what have you become?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
First, it sounds like that doctor may be too trigger happy on the hysterectomy option, but it's hard to say without more context. There are a multitude of reasons to perform a hysterectomy from abnormal bleeding refractory to medication to cervical cancer to anatomic problems like prolapse and fibroids. It is one of the most common surgical procedures performed in the United States! It is not generally done for sterilization purposes, though it is certainly an important side effect. It is shocking to see in a headline because of that side effect, but it is a good surgery that improves the quality of life for many, many women and the surgery itself should not be demonized. I would like to know what the physician's rationale was for these surgeries. Maybe because he/she felt that it would be those patients' only opportunity to have such a surgery done they were more likely to do the be-all end-all gynecological surgery? I have met providers like that. Access to care in Latin America is even worse than it is in the US and you would be shocked by the medical conditions women in these countries live with because they have no alternatives. Honestly, I'd be more appalled if the whistleblower said the physician did a disturbing number of tubal ligations which are simple procedures purely intended for sterilization.

All this being said, it is gratifying to see that these women are receiving at least some medical care while in custody. Immigrant women usually have no medical safety net whatsoever and experience significant barriers to medical care. Typically incarcerated women in the US do have excellent access to care however, so in a way I am glad that they are receiving care at all. Obviously their surgical center and hospital need some work and these allegations must be taken seriously, but hopefully these women are getting preventative care like Pap smears and mammograms that they otherwise would not have access to. Please note, this is not a justification for their incarceration. That practice is detestable

These aren't the type of facilities that would perform hysterectomies because people need them

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017

This actually makes the most sense given the context, or lack there of. And I do get the distinct vibe that this was done with very little regard for the patient's feelings.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Considering the context of this: women in facilities that are overcrowded, as has already been reported, there's a language barrier, and other abuses have been catalogued...

I don't think it even makes sense to consider the intent of the doctor. The fact is that this is being done to women without their consent. And these women are all in a vulnerable position. I seriously doubt that this was actually done for anyone's benefit.
Look, I'm not saying that there aren't some serious ethical problems here, but I do take issue with people portraying hysterectomies as some kind of monstrous act. Stuff like
That's his specialty, he's the uterus collector. I know that's ugly…is he collecting these things or something…
What even is this? Would people have the same reaction if a surgeon did a lot of appendectomies? Or is it specifically the uterus because of the sexist infertile woman = bad trope? We don't even know the age of the women undergoing these surgeries. Hysterectomies are important surgeries that have improved the lives of countless women over the years and making it out to be a monstrous, experimental procedure is doing a disservice. Should we investigate further? Absolutely! But performing a hysterectomy is not in itself an evil act, and that is what I take issue with
These aren't the type of facilities that would perform hysterectomies because people need them
Why else would the US Government, which is notoriously stingy in its provision of basic healthcare needs for its own citizens, shell out the cash for expensive surgeries? If their goal was sterilization, there are much more easy and cost effective ways to do that than a hysterectomy. I think people need to refocus their outrage toward the treatment of non-English speaking women in the US healthcare system in regards to informed consent. This is not isolated to ICE facilities and there is nothing that gets under my skin more than a half-assed translation resulting a patient who does not understand what is being done to them and why

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I wish I could believe ICE and the US government would be held accountable and condemned by other nations for this, but in reality nothing or very little (depending on the results of the election) will be done to bring justice to all these victims.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019

what you write here makes sense, but these women, AFAIK, aren't in a third world country. They're in America.

Any limitation of access to care or proper translation services is due to avoidable circumstances we have created.

It's less about this particular procedure or this individual provider, and more about the fact that our government have created the conditions that allow this to happen. If it's deliberate mistreatment or just the best of limited options doesn't make much difference when it certainly could have been avoided in the first place.