• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you looking forward to the Remaster?

• Yes

Votes: 1,402 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 258 7.3%
  • Depends on the quality of the Remaster

Votes: 1,772 50.2%
  • I don't like Mass Effect

Votes: 101 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why are people going so apeshit over remasters of games that are only a generation old? I'd understand fervor over *remakes* but not a simple remastering. This is EA we're talking about so it'll probably just be a resolution bump and the original PC high/ultra settings.
Because the framerates are kinda shit on last gen consoles, PC versions still dont have official controller support etc.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Realistically speaking, what would a remastered version of the trilogy have to offer someone who owns the entire trilogy box set on PC as well as all the DLCs, as well as the ALOT texture mods too ?

Are we speculating extreme graphic enhancements even for the PC version, or just bringing up the console versions up to par with the PC version?

Oct 29, 2017
Because the framerates are kinda shit on last gen consoles, PC versions still dont have official controller support etc.

Yeah, it would be a little different if the trilogy was Xbox One X enhanced, which it's not, or if the PC versions had controller support.

It's exciting to think about a definitive, complete version of the trilogy with all the strengths of the different versions put together, plus some new enhancements presumably.

Plus the weirdos who love these games have played them 20 times and know them inside and out, so even small updates and enhancements will be exciting.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, at this point it's pretty clear they're going to do as short an annouce-to-release window as possible.

For most remasters that makes sense, but I'd like to think Mass Effect deserves more.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Why are people going so apeshit over remasters of games that are only a generation old? I'd understand fervor over *remakes* but not a simple remastering. This is EA we're talking about so it'll probably just be a resolution bump and the original PC high/ultra settings.
The Mass Effect fans are desperate for anything Mass Effect, even rehashed content. Those who have never played it or only played it without DLC are looking for a complete package with all 3 games and all the DLC. PC players would also like native controller support without modding (though modding this is quite easy tbh).

Realistically speaking, what would a remastered version of the trilogy have to offer someone who owns the entire trilogy box set on PC as well as all the DLCs, as well as the ALOT texture mods too ?

Are we speculating extreme graphic enhancements even for the PC version, or just bringing up the console versions up to par with the PC version?
It's EA, so probably nothing much more than highest PC settings and better frame rate on consoles. Maybe PC gets native controller support. I don't know if they'd spend the effort in adding HDR support since its UE3. Though thinking about it, ME would be gorgeous in HDR since it has all those bright highlights everywhere. Series X will have an auto HDR function for games without HDR at least. Another thing that would be very welcome is better quality pre-rendered cutscenes. They're all low bitrate 720p currently. If the source files are there, it should be possible. The fan community doing the AI upscaling on them can only do so much.

I'd be surprised if they went and added higher quality assets and textures. I'd like to think that with access to source files they would re-export everything in higher fidelity, but my expectations are very low.

Oct 27, 2017
z4XH0cg.gif

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

The thing is, we can't know what realistic means for EA. So it's hard to guess. It's already confirmed ME1 won't have any significant improvements to its gameplay, nor that we should expect any change to ME3's final mission and ending. Still, there are many enhancements that a well developed ME trilogy could have. New graphical effects and improved sounds for example. ME3 has a lot of multiplayer only content that could be added to single player without too much effort.

But in the end it's up to EA.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, we can't know what realistic means for EA. So it's hard to guess. It's already confirmed ME1 won't have any significant improvements to its gameplay, nor that we should expect any change to ME3's final mission and ending. Still, there are many enhancements that a well developed ME trilogy could have. New graphical effects and improved sounds for example. ME3 has a lot of multiplayer only content that could be added to single player without too much effort.

But in the end it's up to EA.
As far as I'm concerned nothing is yet confirmed.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shinobi mentioned it in on a thread. No change to the endings and no changes to ME1 gameplay, at least nothing major.

I'm not really convinced they wouldn't make changes to the ME3 ending atleast. It's the main obstacle for any future game in the series. It's why Mass Effect Andromeda was set in, well, Andromeda 200 years in the future.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I never understood all the ending hate. I played the game at release and thought it was fine. Is the main thing that the Mass Effect gates are all destroyed? Because I actually kind of dug that. It was an interesting consequence.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I never understood all the ending hate. I played the game at release and thought it was fine. Is the main thing that the Mass Effect gates are all destroyed? Because I actually kind of dug that. It was an interesting consequence.
There's like essay length posts everywhere about why it's not good.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really convinced they wouldn't make changes to the ME3 ending atleast. It's the main obstacle for any future game in the series. It's why Mass Effect Andromeda was set in, well, Andromeda 200 years in the future.

The best thing EA can do is ignore Control and Synthesis, take Destroy as canon ending because "I ain't gotta explain shit" and make Mass Effect 4 in a post-war Milky Way.

I just want the franchise back on track.

Hmmmm... idk if I can go through them again. I tried ME1 & ME2 recently and I couldn't get through it. I'll wait and see right now.

It's been a while, but I don't remember them having an actual inventory. I think you could choose your guns(and mods in the case of ME3) prior to each missions, and your armor in the Normandy bedroom, and that's about it.
That's ME2. ME 1 has this:
latest

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For those who missed it, I'm pretty sure Jeff Grubb was hinting at the collection's name here:

My guess is that it will be called Mass Effect Legends.

A name like this lets them get away with creating a new game that isn't tied directly to the events of the trilogy. Whether they set a sequel far into the future, or just reboot it, "Legends" would be a pretty good way to refer to Shepard's story.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
For those who missed it, I'm pretty sure Jeff Grubb was hinting at the collection's name here:

A name like this lets them get away with creating a new game that isn't tied directly to the events of the trilogy. Whether they set a sequel far into the future, or just reboot it, "Legends" would be a pretty good way to refer to Shepard's story.

Giving a name to a remaster (as opposed to just -insert franchise here- remaster) would make me think significant work would be put into it. At least more than a res/fps bump. Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but seeing the new Art Book and the Comic Book Collection make me thing this is going to be a meaningful push from EA to make Mass Effect relevant again.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

If this comes with *all* of the DLC I'd be really pumped.

Otherwise... Yeah, just mildly excited.

Oct 29, 2017

I've wondered about this, because iirc the preorder listing that was being referred to at that point was called "N7."

Like, obviously this release, if it's real, is not just going to be called "N7". That wouldn't make any sense to anyone. But does that rule out "Mass Effect: The N7 Collection" or similar?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Can you mention if the plan is to announce and release the game in the same day?
Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but seeing the new Art Book and the Comic Book Collection make me thing this is going to be a meaningful push from EA to make Mass Effect relevant again.
Don't expect a same day announce and release. And yeah, EA has 100% not abandoned Mass Effect. I'm not trying to 'hype' anyone, just saying it plainly.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing EA can do is ignore Control and Synthesis, take Destroy as canon ending because "I ain't gotta explain shit" and make Mass Effect 4 in a post-war Milky Way.

Change it so EDI and the Geth live and Shepard is rescued and re-united with Normandy crew and I would go with that.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

it'd be nice to know if i should bother waiting for this or just replay them on pc

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
A retcon in a potential Mass Effect 4 would be far easier than re-editing the ending Mass Effect 3 IMO. So I doubt we will see an altered ending in a potential remaster. Bioware would either explain the continuity in ME4 or release something that bridges the gap.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I went with the Synthesis ending, but yeah, that one doesn't lend itself to sequels much, IIRC.

The Mass Effect world is one of my favorites in all of fiction. The world building in the series is master class, then they had to go fuck up the ending. Hopefully someday they'll release a (good) new game set far enough into the future that they can do something original, and just retcon the ending of ME3. I just want more of this world and lore.

I never played Andromeda after all the negative feedback it got.

Personally, I only ever played the trilogy on PS3 and I'd like to be able to replay them without needing my old PS3 hooked up. I guess I could always get them on PC, but I'm not really a fan of keyboard and mouse controls for action games.

Jul 13, 2020
It's been a while, but I don't remember them having an actual inventory. I think you could choose your guns(and mods in the case of ME3) prior to each missions, and your armor in the Normandy bedroom, and that's about it.

Well I don't feel like wrestling with the ME1 inventory. They need to fix it so when you switch to a character in the inventory, only armor and weapons they can use appear there. I shouldn't have to scroll through every single option to pick what's useful for that characters. It's what keeps me from replaying that game.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

They could shift from a universe threat to a multi-verse threat. All ME3 endings are canon. You can have each game in the new trilogy take place in a different timeline.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
You know they said that scene in destroy is Shepard taking their last breath right?
I don't remember that. Googling just brought up this which states the opposite.
Tully Ackland said:
You may notice that in the "Shepard lives" ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard's name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together.

Status
Not open for further replies.