• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see it, but I won't play it anytime soon since I just replayed through the whole trilogy last year.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Bah, so annoyed Square Roots podcast decided to start playing ME2. Reminding me of all the story beats, lol Loved that game, finished it 3x in a row before I stopped a few hours into my fourth straight run.

Hope they change some significant bits about 1, but would understand if not, and happy to jump right into 2 anyway.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah exactly.

Nah, don't agree. Definitely needs some changes and is the clumsiest of the bunch by far, and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't consider it unplayable at all. But people moaned about the Mako at launch and I thought it was great, so maybe I'm not on the same page as others.

I loved the Mako. I wanted bigger areas and more exploration in Mass Effect 2. Man, was that ever disappointing.

ME1 was never topped, IMO.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I've played ME1 so many times that even though it's my favourite in the series I would like them to change it up. It would give it a breath of fresh air (for me) if they brought the gameplay up to the later series' standards.

I don't have much faith that they will do this, though.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. From memory Mass Effect 1 was originally protoyped on a new internal engine at BioWare, things weren't panning out, so it was moved over to the then very new Unreal Engine 3. UE3's demand as a middleware engine exploded over that generation, hence so many games using it, and so Epic continually revised and iterated on the engine to add new features. It's how we ended up landing with games like Batman: Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat 11 all technically using UE3 but very, very advanced builds of the engine that absolutely blew away early iterations in features and optimisation.

I remember a lot of early PS3 games using UE3, especially mutliplatform ports, having performance and rendering issues compared to Xbox 360. From memory ME2 was ported to a build of UE3 that was more optimised for PS3 when the time came to port.
I wonder why ME3's performance was so atrocious on PS3 then. I guess it was due to a lack of ram.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Nah, they should have to copy Anthem and Andromeda combat system and they are good to go, the only really good things about both games.

I have not played Anthem but I think Andromeda was a step back. It had good ideas in terms of movement but the gunplay was much weaker than ME2/ME3. Enemies lacked proper reactions to being shot and weapons felt too weak. I felt Control did a infinitely better job in creating a shooter gameplay that allows for movement in a big open space.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even if they did nothing else but fix the inventory in ME1 it would be a huge improvement. I can live with janky gameplay, but cba dealing with the interface again. it being unplayable is slightly hyperbolic though lol

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Mass effects 1's gameplay needs serious rework. I wonder how they handled it

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Mass effects 1's gameplay needs serious rework. I wonder how they handled it

It's kind of why I skipped it. I hated playing the gameplay part. The RPG part was good, but combat and such was not fun at all to me.

Also, I know I'm someone who's beaten ME2 and 3 and put in quite a lot of time into them, I do kind of wonder if it's worth it to get to even play again. While not on the same level, I do need to play Andromeda.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's kind of why I skipped it. I hated playing the gameplay part. The RPG part was good, but combat and such was not fun at all to me.

Also, I know I'm someone who's beaten ME2 and 3 and put in quite a lot of time into them, I do kind of wonder if it's worth it to get to even play again. While not on the same level, I do need to play Andromeda.
Yeah, When it comes to rpg mechanics and story, I'd say mass effect 1 is the best. Updating the shooting would be amazing.

I've played mass effect 2 to death and was kinda feeling the same thing. I can do a play by play of every mission in my head.

Andromeda ironically has the best combat in the series

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
2.5 hours

1454697-talifaceuglysbhjim.jpg

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder what chances are it wil lbe on EA pass on release? Probably not but should appear on the service after a year

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
i think ME1s combat doesn't bother me as much as it does most. Like yeah it's a huge step back from modern tps but I still enjoy it.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to replay the first two games. Three not so much, and I'm not even really talking about the ending, which was fine to me.

I just found the third game an uninspired action sprint to the finish line which lacked the build and narrative of the other two. It also felt like the first BioWare whiff, for me, and a drop in quality across the board. The best thing about the game was the multiplayer, to be honest.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the odds are very big that yes. If I'm not mistaken that's what they did with the Wii U version of ME3.

I still hope they might rework the endings beyond that though.

I'd love to see endings reworked (because I hate them) and tied into ME4, but BioWare's very specific wording that this is not a reimagining of content would imply otherwise. I don't think any rewrites or new content are included. More "the best way to play the trilogy" or whatever.

I can only assume you're telling us that this is now the standard base model for both Sheps and that they have removed the character creator. HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR ROMANCES NOW.

Fuck, you're on to me.

I don't know for sure but I think this might actually be out, not intentionally, but because of some issue with the source code being lost or butchered many years ago? I remember the issue being raised as to why PS3's ME1 port didn't have it and BioWare stated it wasn't salvageable or something.

If there's any DLC missing it'll be this one.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, they should have to copy Anthem and Andromeda combat system and they are good to go, the only really good things about both games.
I'm in the minority but I found Andromeda's combat to be pretty bland. Removing the ability to control the squadmates and set up combos was a total misfire IMO, and changed a dynamic squad-based game to a typical TPS with powers.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yep. From memory Mass Effect 1 was originally protoyped on a new internal engine at BioWare, things weren't panning out, so it was moved over to the then very new Unreal Engine 3.
In the BioWare Stories and Secrets book, they show the very first prototype was done in Jade Empire. Not sure if the intent was to use the engine, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I wonder why ME3's performance was so atrocious on PS3 then. I guess it was due to a lack of ram.
Yes, memory was a huge factor in this. A BioWare dev mentioned on a panel that almost everything they had to cut was due to PS3's memory.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they'll overhaul ME2 and ME3 to give them more involved RPG systems like ME1?

lol, the outrage would be worth it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I was thinking... two small things that I do hope they change in the games are: add a combat roll for ME2 and disable the AWFUL slowdown in ME3 when your shield breaks. One of the reasons MP combat felt better than SP is because that didn't happen.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I wonder if they have done much about the atrocious hair styles in the game, or the character creator for that matter.

I'm not holding out any hope, but I'd love it if at least they bring parity and give you the ME3 character creation options all the way to ME1. On the third game you could create better stuff to the point that I changed my face that I had been carrying through the first two.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
And 3 needs a complete rewrite.
This is why I was hoping Bioware would have taken the Kiwami approach to Mass Effect. Remaking each game from the ground up would give the series a true new gen presentation, and give them a chance to fully retcon the third installment with their own new creative direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.