• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
My crypto gainz are making a Xbox Series X more likely to be a "fuck it" buy because I still have 2.5 years of Game Pass Ultimate left...

Because of my back log, I've literally been only playing through Playstation exclusives and RDR2. And I still need to get through Nintendo backlog..

I've been mixing up a bit of Gears 4 and Halo 1 in there - put in a couple of hours. With all that said, seeing stuff like this pushes me to want to get a Series X, but it will just end up being another game to put in the backlog. I need a strong 1st party exclusive that's a must buy to push me over...

EDIT: Maybe I'll just get this for PC eventually. I have a GTX 1070TI and 144 hz monitor

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As a Vanguard main, zipping around the screen @ 120 FPS is going to be absolutely bonkers, as will the more set piece-y sequences. Didn't think I could get more excited for this.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This means it's not a new SKU? They're renaming the old game?

I don't have a 120fps Telly but this also means it won't have dualsense or activity card support?
It's a new SKU for PS4, XB1, and PC. But not for next-gen consoles.
i'll be honest, no 120hz support + no DS features is turning me off from buying. hope a native version is on the way.
Don't count on it. Being a UE3 game means there's no way to build next-gen versions. Unless they manage to implement it into UE3, but that's a huge undertaking.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Given the performance difference between PS5 and Series X, I kind of wish they added an unlocked framerate 1440 mode to the PS5 version. If the Series X can do 120, I'm sure the PS5 could do something right below that and with VRR wouldn't the difference between a locked framerate of 60 and VRR framerate that is 100+ be noticeable.
Unlocking the framerate still limits it to max 60FPS on PS5. This is down to the BC solution on the console. It can't do 120FPS in BC as some developers commented on.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Don't count on it. Being a UE3 game means there's no way to build next-gen versions. Unless they manage to implement it into UE3, but that's a huge undertaking.

It's very unlikely these games are still running on UE3 as it doesn't support PS4 and XB1, it's standard practice to port UE3 games to UE4 for gen 8 ports

Jonatron

Apr 22, 2020
XSX version for me then.

I don't understand the 1440/60 for PS5 when the console doesn't output 1440.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
If this doesn't have a native PS5 port then it is probably better to buy it on PC ? (though a bit weaker than my PS5).

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
It's very unlikely these games are still running on UE3 as it doesn't support PS4 and XB1, it's standard practice to port UE3 games to UE4 for gen 8 ports
They are running on UE3.

The engine they use isn't a binary distribution, they have access to the sources and they can add new platform support if they wish to do so.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

UE3 is supported by those consoles but not next gen. This was explained on the previous page. The devs have said upgrading the games to UE4 would require almost a complete rebuild of each game. Not to mention we've seen the end results of UE4 conversions in the Return to Arkham and Bioshock collections which were total messes at launch and still have their share of issues now. Sticking with UE3 was unquestionably the better way to go.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
See my reply above. Platform support in UE3/UE4 comes via source code plugins (so it also makes it easier to remove them if they need to - like releasing the engine source on GitHub). Moreover, they needed to update the UE3 build they used since the UE3 versions that supported PS4/XBO are old and don't support new SDKs.

TLDR. Even with UE3 there is nothing that prevents them from building proper next-gen versions except time/budget.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

As others said, they're not. The problem is that UE3 -> UE4 is not a seamless transition, and various aspects of the toolset and pipeline change. BioWare's problem with the tech behind the trilogy is that they found the workload making too many drastic changes was either out of the scope of the project or technically difficult due to quirks in how the game is running. EG: they toyed with remaking animations, but even tiny changes to stuff like NPCs broke animations all across the board, and their toolset was outdated and redundant, so they decided to cut their losses.

I could be misremembering, but I think somebody did ask them during the press event if this was running on UE4, and they said that while it was possible the actual dev scope to accomplish this was a lot larger than most probably think because of the toolset and pipeline, and the dev scope of doing it across three games just wasn't something they had factored in as reasonable.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
See my reply above. Platform support in UE3/UE4 comes via source code plugins (so it also makes it easier to remove them if they need to - like releasing the engine source on GitHub). Moreover, they needed to update the UE3 build they used since the UE3 versions that supported PS4/XBO are old and don't support new SDKs.

TLDR. Even with UE3 there is nothing that prevents them from building proper next-gen versions except time/budget.

Even then, what do you gain by doing proper next gen native versions? Assuming the conversions went well instead of being disastrous as they likely would be the end result would largely be the same except they could do 120hz on PS5, full DualSense support on PS5 and I guess maybe ray tracing on all platforms? Those things don't seem worth the amount of work it would take for them to convert these games to UE4.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, the biggest proof it's an updated version is that MELE supports DirectX 11, which was only added in 2011. ME3 was already in development, so they couldn't upgrade back then.

I also imagine there's a bit more to it than just being able to compile for next-gen consoles. DualSense support requires specific libraries, for instance. It's not a seamless transition.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I imagine this has been brought up but there are texture overhaul mods for the trilogy on pc. Based on screenshots, do you all think the mods kind of solve everything you would want out of this remaster collection.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine this has been brought up but there are texture overhaul mods for the trilogy on pc. Based on screenshots, do you all think the mods kind of solve everything you would want out of this remaster collection.

There are tons of visual mods for these. For anyone who doesn't know about this go to Nexus mods and search the ALOT of textures mods and the other mods from the ALOT series. I previously used those mods when playing through these games but with the collection I probably won't be. I'm sure some may prefer playing the old versions with the available visual mods but I like the idea of not needing as many mods anymore though there are a number of mods that I'm really hoping make the jump to this collection. Also, I like the work they're doing to make the games more visually consistent across the trilogy (though the ME3 female medical personnel model now being in all three games isn't something I love).

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the correction everyone, I wasn't aware that they were sticking with UE3. Makes me curious though, why are so many UE3 remasters ported to UE4 when given the fact that it's possible to get UE3 running on gen 8 hardware? Seems like it would be more work to get things fixed up in UE4 while still not getting the same or better results than the original UE3 version. Is it a lack of access to the game's source code?

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
All I'm bothered about is what music they play on the Main Menu. It better be Vigil!!!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the correction everyone, I wasn't aware that they were sticking with UE3. Makes me curious though, why are so many UE3 remasters ported to UE4 when given the fact that it's possible to get UE3 running on gen 8 hardware? Seems like it would be more work to get things fixed up in UE4 while still not getting the same or better results than the original UE3 version. Is it a lack of access to the game's source code?
If they didn't have access to the game's source code, there'd be no remaster at all. This is simply a case of picking their battles, they're remastering 3 large games (and extensively remaking many of the assets of the original) plus all of the DLC and selling it for $60 in a single package. Something would have to give to achieve that transition within the time and resources they had.

Mac Walters, who is directing the project, said this:

It very quickly became clear that level of jump would really change fundamentally what the series was; how it felt, how it played. A really crisp example of that would be if you look at the Kismit scripting language, it's a visual scripting language from Unreal Engine 3, there's no real copy-paste for that to go into Unreal Engine 4, meaning that every moment, every scene… everything would have had to essentially be redone from scratch. We knew at that point that we'd really sort of start to take away the essence and spirit of what the trilogy was.

I could really imagine us trying to chase the magic the first game had. Once you go beyond that, every question comes into play. If this scene is going to change anyway, why don't we change the dialogue? I never really liked that actor, why don't we get a different actor? At some point, it's not what we had originally, and at that point you do lose the magic of the original, in my opinion.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017

Apparently they did try to port ME1(UE2) to UE4 but it broke to many systems and it would take way to long to remake them.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It is good to see the performance gain with the changes made to level design that were previously added keep within render and frame time budget of 360:

Oct 25, 2017
After playing Inquisition at 60fps on Series X, I can't go back to a 30fps Bioware game. High frame-rates help alleviate a lot of the janky-ness with these games. Here's to hoping DA4 follows the trend.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I hope DF is able to get a tech analysis video out before the game releases, I'm still not sure whether to play on PS5 or Series X.

Oct 29, 2017
There are tons of visual mods for these. For anyone who doesn't know about this go to Nexus mods and search the ALOT of textures mods and the other mods from the ALOT series. I previously used those mods when playing through these games but with the collection I probably won't be. I'm sure some may prefer playing the old versions with the available visual mods but I like the idea of not needing as many mods anymore though there are a number of mods that I'm really hoping make the jump to this collection. Also, I like the work they're doing to make the games more visually consistent across the trilogy (though the ME3 female medical personnel model now being in all three games isn't something I love).
Yes I'm using the ALOT packs, it's amazing how much content and care they've put into these games. ME2 ALOT pack is insanely stuffed. It kind of sounds like the ALOT packs offer visuals that the remasters may not have

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
At that framerate Shepard holsters and unholsters so fast that you can only ever visually perceive it one position- unholstered.

I guess they never confirmed or denied this for Mass Effect 3 right?.. I know its a feature that sounds dumb and nit-picky but to me it makes a world of difference if I want to feel really immersed in the game.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Ah, the good ole's framerate on 360.

I guess they never confirmed or denied this for Mass Effect 3 right?.. I know its a feature that sounds dumb and nit-picky but to me it makes a world of difference if I want to feel really immersed in the game.

You are correct. According to the IGN interview (from which I made the clips) they said that they focused largely on ME1 for QoL updates and that ME2 and 3 largely remain the same. And yes, even for me the lack of ability to holster weapon in ME3 was annoying. Back then their reason was tied to the memory budget on 7th gen consoles. That excuse is no longer available to them. However, the question whether Bioware felt it would be best use of their time to port over the holstering animation from ME2 to 3 and ensure that it did not inadvertently break something else. To me, and seemingly to quite a few others, the ability to holster weapon is an important part of the experience.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Really wish they had kept more of that cold/blue-ish tone for Noveria and Virmire. Felt a little bit less familiar somehow, less earth-like, which i enjoyed. Also isnt there supposed to be a storm on peak 15, or had that passed by the time you enter the mako. Looks mostly like mild snowfall in the new footage.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
From Press Start Australia

https://press-start.com.au/news/xbo...-at-120fps-on-xbox-series-x-and-60fps-on-ps5/

The biggest change between the two next-gen consoles is the fact that the game can run at 4K/60FPS in favour quality mode on the Xbox Series X but only 4K/40 on the PS5. Likewise, in favour framerate mode, it can run at 120FPS on Xbox Series X (at 1440p) but only 60FPS at the same resolution on PS5. This is due to how both consoles handle backwards compatible games, with more work being required to improve PS4 games for the PS5.

That's a typo right? I haven't seen that anywhere else.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Is it though? It isn't framed like it's a typo, or they wouldn't have said "but only on".

I doubt Bioware were lying and am more likely to trust them than a single website. I mean, BW would have just said it was 30fps if it was the case right? They'd know there would be blowback.

Still, I'd like to see somewhere else that isn't official EA PR confirm 60fps now. The way this industry is sometimes puts me on edge with this stuff whenever there is room for doubt.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Is it though? It isn't framed like it's a typo, or they wouldn't have said "but only on".

I doubt Bioware were lying and am more likely to trust them than a single website. I mean, BW would have just said it was 30fps if it was the case right? They'd know there would be blowback.

Still, I'd like to see somewhere else that isn't official EA PR confirm 60fps now. The way this industry is sometimes puts me on edge with this stuff whenever there is room for doubt.
You're right, and the proper answer will determine whether I buy this or not. If it's essentially solid 60fps with very rare dips, it sucks but I can live with it. If it's dropping regularly on quality mode then no, I'd probably skip it. I only have a PS5 so no other option to pick it up on, and play on a 4k60 monitor, so upscaled 1440p isn't ideal either.

I'll just wait and see a breakdown once released.

Jun 17, 2018

I highly doubt that 4K/40 was intentional, I think it's a typo as this wasn't specified in the official release from EA or Bioware. PS5 will run the game at 4K60 no problem. If it doesn't then I'd be really surprised, these games are 10+ years old.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt that 4K/40 was intentional, I think it's a typo as this wasn't specified in the official release from EA or Bioware. PS5 will run the game at 4K60 no problem. If it doesn't then I'd be really surprised, these games are 10+ years old.

The way it's written would suggest it's misinformation, not a typo.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Is this one of those games I should be careful about getting on PC? I don't know EA's record with the PC ports. I'm stuck between that and the Series X version over the PS5 one.