• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which class will you choose?

• Soldier

Votes: 380 22.2%
  • Adept

Votes: 296 17.3%
  • Engineer

Votes: 126 7.4%
  • Vanguard

Votes: 724 42.2%
  • Sentinel

Votes: 172 10.0%
  • Infiltrator

Votes: 274 16.0%

• Total voters

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just used the M-920 Cain for the very first time and I cannot stop laughing.

*Aim at mech and start charging*

Me: Wow this takes forever to charge it better be worth....

*Everything dies in nuclear fire*

I would give one of my kidneys to have seem my face as it went off. I felt my eyes bug out and everything. Then I started laughing and couldn't stop. I always used the avalanche in my original playthroughs and never bothered with the Cain because it cost so much Iridium.

Worth.

It.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
"I am pure krogan. You should be in awe."

Best. Cast. Ever.

Grunt's loyalty mission is a perfect example of why loosing the middle dialogue option sucks.

"If I know Grunt your answer's coming at muzzle velocity."
"You do know Grunt."

I would give one of my kidneys to have seem my face as it went off. I felt my eyes bug out and everything. Then I started laughing and couldn't stop. I always used the avalanche in my original playthroughs and never bothered with the Cain because it cost so much Iridium.

Worth.

It.
I always race to get the Cain before Horizon because there's nothing better then one-shotting that goddamn Praetorian.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The first time you use the Cain is always a huge treat. Mine was on this boss on the Thane recruitment mission, dude who comes down the elevator. I'd wiped a few times and finally went "alright let's see what this thing does." Sit there, charging, dude opens up the door and rushes out, then BAM

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Grunt's loyalty mission is a perfect example of why loosing the middle dialogue option sucks.

"If I know Grunt your answer's coming at muzzle velocity."
"You do know Grunt."

I always race to get the Cain before Horizon because there's nothing better then one-shotting that goddamn Praetorian.
It one shots that piece of shit?!?!?!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The first time you use the Cain is always a huge treat. Mine was on this boss on the Thane recruitment mission, dude who comes down the elevator. I'd wiped a few times and finally went "alright let's see what this thing does." Sit there, charging, dude opens up the door and rushes out, then BAM
I was in the middle of the Jack Requirement mission and saw I had "145" ammo according to my wheel and on the first mech I was like "eh why not. Let's see what it does".

I couldn't use it again obviously, but holy hell is it worth it lol

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

lol I always save the cain for 3 fights. The horizon fight with the praetorian, the CB ship fight with the praeotrian and the final battle.

Cain is my baby.

"Oh that's gonna be a tough one to take down!"

*cloaks and fires*

Nah it's dead.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Completely random and unrelated, but Zaeed + Garrus and both using their snipers is the funniest and most OP thing I have ever seen.

They just get constant headshots and brag about it the whole time lol

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Harpoon gun is pretty fun in Mass Effect 3. Never sniped in the games so never used it before. The executioner is also pretty ridiculous. Pretty sure I never used that one before either although I can't run them both together because they weight too much.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Wow I guess I failed Zaheed's loyalty mission early in ME2 and never realized it lol. Oh well

I did his mission and went to go save the people in the building. He was upset about the decision as Vido got away but I was able to convince him to stick around.

He comes off as such a dick but I felt I needed everybody to take on the collectors.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

Worth.

It.

The Blackstorm Singularity Projector is the ONLY heavy weapon in the series as far as I'm concerned. It's so badass.

I think my favorite spot to use it is the wings where you fight to get to the close the doors/ventilation systems in Mordin's recruitment mission. Just get to one of those enclosed hallways full of vorcha and let 'er rip.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A while ago, a former BioWare developer streamed the original Mass Effect 1 on Twitch to provide developer commentary. Unfortunately, he took down the archive, most likely due to comments that don't exactly paint Casey Hudson in a flattering light.

However, this Tumblr post recaps some of the commentary from the first stream. There's A LOT of interesting tidbits.

Here's a few:

A common trend in the comments is the game's struggle with memory management.

It's a really fascinating read, and I wish the archived stream could still be viewed. If anyone happens to have saved a copy of the stream, it would be great if it could be uploaded.
I never watched the stream, but yes. I honestly believe that, if most people here knew how most games are a result of happy/not-so-happy accidents, devs improvising stuff everywhere, and issues with project management/budget/tech, the overall tone of this forum would be so different.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So I accidentally triggered the romance flag with Jack and now it's at the point where if I turn her down, she refuses to talk to me anymore. This is one of those rare instances where I fucking hate how vague the dialogue wheel can be.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
It one shots that piece of shit?!?!?!
On normal difficulty the Cain will one-shot any enemy in the game, barring the reaper baby(which takes two)

Loooooool. The debrieving after Feros. Tone's fine and cordial until out of nowhere Sparatus goes "You humans are all racist!" on Shepard.
Only time my paragon ever hung up on them.

"Sorry, next time I'll make sure to murder everyone needlessly, will that make you happy?"

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
oh hey Kasumi what's uUUUUHHHHH

roeMUVt.png

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Blackstorm Singularity Projector is the ONLY heavy weapon in the series as far as I'm concerned. It's so badass.

I think my favorite spot to use it is the wings where you fight to get to the close the doors/ventilation systems in Mordin's recruitment mission. Just get to one of those enclosed hallways full of vorcha and let 'er rip.
I LOVE that thing, but on Insanity it's a bit of a bitch to charge up and fire without getting instantly dusted on my Adept.

I got lucky with the Cain I think lol

Last edited:

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
lol I always save the cain for 3 fights. The horizon fight with the praetorian, the CB ship fight with the praeotrian and the final battle.

Cain is my baby.

"Oh that's gonna be a tough one to take down!"

*cloaks and fires*

Nah it's dead.

Wait... whaaaaaaaat?

Tell me the Invisibility Cloak damage bonus doesn't apply to heavy weapons. ::frantically checks wiki::

Oh, it doesn't.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
A while ago, a former BioWare developer streamed the original Mass Effect 1 on Twitch to provide developer commentary. Unfortunately, he took down the archive, most likely due to comments that don't exactly paint Casey Hudson in a flattering light.

However, this Tumblr post recaps some of the commentary from the first stream. There's A LOT of interesting tidbits.
"The Citadel was originally "the Oculon" - the eye at the center of the civilized universe. Apparently somewhere that name meant anal sex, so it also had to be changed"

damn_star_trek_tng.gif

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I was just thinking about all the characters that can die and realized that someone somewhere out there probably played a version of Mass Effect 3 where their only party members were Liara, Ed-E, and James Vega..

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
For anyone worried about hitting the 7800 TMS at the end - the Leviathan DLC gives you 500 or so. I was stuck at 7300 and that alone pushed me over.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I honestly hate being railroaded into working for Cerberus in ME2. It's bothering me more now than ever before. Every time I access the Galaxy Map I just want to fly to the nearest Alliance base and turn the ship over to them.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Man, i remember reading in 2011 that ME3 had a script twice as big as ME2 and you can tell: every character has so much dialogue and things to say, im actually surprised, its a step up from the previous games.

E.G. In just a few hours of ME3, Traynor has much more personality and better characteriazation than Kelly Chambers in the entire ME2 campaign.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Man, i remember reading in 2011 that ME3 had a script twice as big as ME2 and you can tell: every character has so much dialogue and things to say, im actually surprised, its a step up from the previous games.

E.G. In just a few hours of ME3, Traynor has much more personality and better characteriazation than Kelly Chambers in the entire ME2 campaign.

Yeah, the trade off was less dialog choices and more people you hit A and they just speak rather than initiating a dialogue scene... but there is an enormous amount of dialogue in the game, especially factoring all the stuff you can overhear on places like the Citadel.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what to do with Arrival. Hackett just dumped this shit on my plate right after Kaiden negged me on Horizon, meanwhile the Alliance continues to disavow me. No acknowledgment from Martin Sheen, nothing from Shepard. Hey Hackett, what the fuck is your problem, man? Why didn't you have my back all this time?

And this is so obviously supposed to be an endgame mission, but how could Shepard not pursue it the moment she hears the Reapers are knocking at the door? Like, now I HAVE to do it. And then I'm gonna go thirty more hours in ME2 without anyone acknowledging my genocide of the Batarians.
no, or at least some can die. For me Kelly and a few others died, but no Squadmates died and I got it
Thank you! Let them eat shit so I can have my robot

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Only time my paragon ever hung up on them.

"Sorry, next time I'll make sure to murder everyone needlessly, will that make you happy?"
The worst part is that you just know he would have chewed you out all the same if you didn't save the colony.

I honestly don't know why the Council was written to be as contrarian and obstructive as possible. Maybe the writers thought it would add an extra dimension to Shepard's journey, how they're obstructed even by their supposed allies. But I just think it's forced.

I'd loved to have seen a competent council, a well-oiled machine that works despite the differences between its member species. Because for all (Paragon) Shepards insistence on working together and the ideal of a united galactic society, the trilogy goes out of its way to prove that humanity is truly special and the galaxy needs them.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone thinking about hopping into Andromeda after they finish ME3?

I've only put maybe 2-3 hours into Andromeda but was thinking about giving it another go after my trilogy play through.
I thought about it.

For 5 minutes, then i think "Nah, i'm good."

Also, massive lost opportunity for not even put an PDA file or something referencing the Andromeda Initiative on this remaster.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly hate being railroaded into working for Cerberus in ME2. It's bothering me more now than ever before. Every time I access the Galaxy Map I just want to fly to the nearest Alliance base and turn the ship over to them.
I'm personally more frustrated at the Alliance than ever, but the game still feels overly manipulative. It has to go to great lengths to convince you that working with Cerberus is acceptable, like pitting the Virmire survivor against you and turning the Council into cartoon villains. Everyone in power gaslights you except Martin Sheen.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Yeah, the trade off was less dialog choices and more people you hit A and they just speak rather than initiating a dialogue scene... but there is an enormous amount of dialogue in the game, especially factoring all the stuff you can overhear on places like the Citadel.
It's true that there is a lot of dialogue that doesn't use the choice wheel, but to be fair, those were also present in ME2, but much shorter. In the normandy i dont really care that much because you still have a lot of proper dialogue from time to time (like the other 2 games) but in the citadel it feels weird getting sidequest just by overhearing some random dudes.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I think the Council does get a lot done - in Council Space, where you barely spend any time in the games. Outside of that they don't want to interfere because it might start a war with the Terminus Systems. (Something that would have sustained an entire trilogy's worth of plot without the Reapers having to get involved, incidentally.)

I'm personally more frustrated at the Alliance than ever, but the game still feels overly manipulative. It has to go to great lengths to convince you that working with Cerberus is acceptable, like pitting the Virmire survivor against you and turning the Council into cartoon villains. Everyone in power gaslights you except Martin Sheen.

That's the thing, despite all the interference ME2 runs for them I'm not convinced that working with Cerberus is acceptable. It's not acceptable to me. And the game barely ever lets you raise any meaningful objection until the very end. And it's all to deal with the Collectors who aren't compelling villains and their subplot doesn't go anywhere.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
BTW, am i the only one that is doing a non-romantic run of the series? i want to see if there is some joke about it in the CITADEL DLC, also, i want to see the characters romance each other, Tali and Garrus are cute together :3

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Continued my relationship with liara from the first game and apparently it doesn't count for the achievement...just done collectors base and seeming I am locked out of romance with everyone else...annoyed.