• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Apparently you can ignore everything in this post as thresher maws now give the same amount of XP whether you deliver the killing blow in the mako or on foot.

Not sure if you thought my post was about killing the thresher maw on foot. It was about doing it from the Mako.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Patch Notes: From Here

The following are fixes and improvements we've made across all platforms in this update.

General

• Fixed the main issue where the launcher would crash or become unresponsive on Xbox Series X when using a wireless headset
    • Known issue: This can still happen if you enable/disable a headset in the launcher. A future fix will resolve this issue.
  • Improved iris shaders for better interaction with light and ambient occlusion
  • Minor calibrations, fixes, and stability improvements

Mass Effect

• Improved terrain textures
  • Fixed an issue where kills for achievements/trophies weren't tracking correctly

Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2

• Resolved an issue where the character code would sometimes not display in the squad menu
  • Improvements to pre-rendered cutscenes to reduce occasional artifacts

Mass Effect 2

• Improved lighting and shadows in some cinematics
  • Minor visual, rendering, and VFX improvements on some levels
  • Resolved minor text issues with achievements

Mass Effect 3

• Fixed an issue where kills for achievements/trophies weren't tracking correctly

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any details on the patch yet. I'm currently downloading it for PC (Origin). Does bioware usually release patch notes?
Edit: found it
www.ea.com

17 May Update

A variety of fixes and improvements across the trilogy.

Last edited:

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Glad they fixed the normal mapping on the eyes, they should look a little less glassy / dead now in ME1.

Really wish they'd fix the audio mastering, though. Voice over volume travels between loud and inaudible for NPCs standing right next to you.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Yeah, the eye issue should be nice. And I'm curious about the terrain texture fix. If it means better anisotropic filtering that would be amazing. It's an 18gb update for all three games, so I won't be able to check until tonight, but hopefully they fixed the reflection half refresh rate bug.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Talking about theories, I wasn't the only one that noticed they specifically choose to have the N7's helmet in the launcher's screen, right? The same helmet (type) that Liara founds a piece of in the trailer for ME4.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if you thought my post was about killing the thresher maw on foot. It was about doing it from the Mako.
Erm sorry, I meant ignore everything in MY post, lol. Your post was great advice, and I was quoting it for usefulness in wearing down the maw before finishing it on foot, which apparently isn't necessary anymore.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Someone had a theory that 2915 is the year the next Mass Effect is set.

That would be an interesting tease.

Mass Effect is set within the Milky Way galaxy in the year 2183 where interstellar travel is possible through the use of mass transit devices called Mass Relays, a technology believed to have been built by an extinct alien race known as the Protheans.

Always funny to see things like this. Like within 200 years we're that sophisticated?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, did anyone here playing for the first time feel like giving up while at the Citadel for the first time?

The game starts kinda slow. It actually took me three attempts to get past the citadel when I originally played. I tried once, gave up. Came back about 6 months later, gave up. Then a few months later and finally got hooked.

I wonder if the remaster is helping this at all, or how common it is.
I haven't played it until now since 2007/early 2008 but now and then I had the same issues. The Citadel is poorly laid out IMO and it's kind of a slog to figure out where to go. I powered through though because the gameplay loop once you take control of the Normandy is so good.

However I feel like I'm getting destroyed in a lot of encounters so much so that I put the difficulty to the lowest. I don't remember having these issues when it came out originally. For example, on the first Liara mission there's these giant lizard looking things that I just could not aim at quickly enough. I eventually cheesed them by hiding in a place that they couldn't touch me lol.

Overall very happy to be replaying though. Wish I'd chosen someone other than soldier but it's easy enough to use teammates skills and being able to reroll class in ME2 makes it not worth starting over at this point.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I've been enjoying the first game on the Legendary edition on the Series X, I've never really given the series a shot and it's been pretty fun so far. I got to the first vehicle part on Feros I think and died after I had to get out and it restarted me at the beginning, assuming saving frequently is probably helpful. Is it normal to have NPC's glitch around sometimes? In conversation sometimes they will just randomly appear standing up after sitting or while fighting I've noticed enemies sometimes will appear in different spots.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh, I'm enjoying ME1 again, the conversations with the crew and characters is the real heart of this game, and the lore and story is really good...

..I am very much looking forward to getting to 2, though, for the improved gameplay and overall structure.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Always funny to see things like this. Like within 200 years we're that sophisticated?

This is a bit of a problem with the ME universe. Not so much the technology, the explanation for that is that the Prothean data cache found on Mars advanced human technology hundreds of years. That's why there is such a massive change in technology. Even though before that there was already some... questionable technological developments.

The main problem I find is that humanity is on equal footing with races that have been well stablished in the galaxy scene for hundreds, if not thousands of years. There is no proper justification why a species with just a handful of ridiculously small colonies should be so powerful.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Has anyone been playing on an Xbox One X? I don't have any next gen consoles and am curious how performance is. Sorry if this has already come up, I tried searching the thread and couldn't find anything.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The main problem I find is that humanity is on equal footing with races that have been well stablished in the galaxy scene for hundreds, if not thousands of years. There is no proper justification why a species with just a handful of ridiculously small colonies should be so powerful.
Are they though? I'm pretty sure pound for pound they still don't match the Turian or Asari militaries unless I'm mistaken.

As for other races I don't think it's that farfetched. Just because other species were space faring (Volus, Hanar, Drell etc) doesn't mean they're automatically military and/or commercial geniuses.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
1.02 patch still hasn't fixed the god awful reflections bug. It's really off putting! I've never seen a game run at 60fps and the reflections run at 30fps or even choppier at times.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
The Codex entry for the First Contact War indicates that the humans were able to take back Shanxi from the Turians, but:
The Turians mobilized for full-scale war, drawing the attention of the rest of the galaxy. The Council quickly intervened, forcing a truce. Fortunately for humanity, the First Contact War was ended with a diplomatic solution.
So, yeah - humanity is doing ok, but if there were an actual war, it's implied that they'd get wrecked.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The Codex entry for the First Contact War indicates that the humans were able to take back Shanxi from the Turians, but:

So, yeah - humanity is doing ok, but if there were an actual war, it's implied that they'd get wrecked.
They would have at the time, they have advanced considerably in a short space of time since first contact.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was actually thinking about humanity in the series earlier, and I thought the reason humanity seems pretty dominating in the Mass Effect universe could be due to capitalism. The other species excluding the Volus probably aren't as competitive. A lot of the gear is human made, even for non-humans, by human manufacturers. It would make sense for humanity to capitalise on opportunities to profit off of Krogan mercs and human individuals to even pursue merc work themselves, something the other council races would be less inclined to do so.

I still think humanity is a bit too numerous on the citadel, especially in the tower. We also don't know population numbers of the other species.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Are they though? I'm pretty sure pound for pound they still don't match the Turian or Asari militaries unless I'm mistaken.

As for other races I don't think it's that farfetched. Just because other species were space faring (Volus, Hanar, Drell etc) doesn't mean they're automatically military and/or commercial geniuses.

You could say that the humans are not military as strong as the Turians, scientifically advanced as the Salarians and economically as powerful as the Asari. But they are a extremely significant force in the galaxy theatre. To the point humanity got a sit in the council before races that have been around for hundreds of years. And I'm not talking about being geniuses, I'm talking about a natural advantage races would have on account of being more developed for a much bigger spam of time. Humanity industrial based should be minimal compared to other races. The same is true for its economy and population. I mean, Earth is the only meaningful planet humans control. The Turians for example should have at least 100 times humanity's population.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You could say that the humans are not military as strong as the Turians, scientifically advanced as the Salarians and economically as powerful as the Asari. But they are a extremely significant force in the galaxy theatre. To the point humanity got a sit in the council before races that have been around for hundreds of years. And I'm not talking about being geniuses, I'm talking about a natural advantage races would have on account of being more developed for a much bigger spam of time. Humanity industrial based should be minimal compared to other races. The same is true for its economy and population. I mean, Earth is the only meaningful planet humans control. The Turians for example should have at least 100 times humanity's population.
The Prothean data cache on Mars was put in there specifically for that reason lol. My brain's perfectly okay with using that as a plot device to say "this ancient alien tech they found opened up the door to all new kinds of space travel, manufacturing tech, biological tech" etc that allowed them them rapidly expand.

It's like humanity inventing boats in ancient times and thus then being able to settle all new lands much faster than before.

Whether that works for you or others though, it's not for me to say 😅

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Isn't it implied in the Codex that the Turians lost a good chunk of population and territory to infighting during the Unification Wars?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The Prothean data cache on Mars was put in there specifically for that reason lol. My brain's perfectly okay with using that as a plot device to say "this ancient alien tech they found opened up the door to all new kinds of space travel, manufacturing tech, biological tech" etc that allowed them them rapidly expand.

It's like humanity inventing boats in ancient times and thus then being able to settle all new lands much faster than before.

Whether that works for you or others though, it's not for me to say 😅

If the Roman Empire suddenly got the technology to build aircraft carriers, that wouldn't put their navy on par with the American one. And this is more or less what happened in Mass Effect. An "ancient" state that got modern technology and in a few years was equally powerful as the entire modern Earth combined.

But yeah, it's not exactly something that have a definitive answer. For me, the timeline of the ME universe is by far its weakest aspect. The events are extremely interesting in themselves, but the timeframe is all messed up.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
1.02 patch still hasn't fixed the god awful reflections bug. It's really off putting! I've never seen a game run at 60fps and the reflections run at 30fps or even choppier at times.
It's likely because it's not a 'bug' though - it's probably a performance-saving measure. Render to texture for reflections is expensive. I agree though it's very off-putting, wish a different method could have been found.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
An "ancient" state that got modern technology and in a few years was equally powerful as the entire modern Earth combined.

I agree with you, but if you want some real-life analogues, just look at China; they have one of the fastest modernizing defence forces and will probably leap ahead of the USA in a decade or two (if things continue at their current rates). I agree that Mass Effect is cutting it close, but if the Prothean discoveries were a part in creating some form of world peace and would put most of the whole world's economic power behind space exploration a lot would be possible than what we are currently familiar with. This is also one of the reasons why I like For All Mankind; it shows an alternative history were space exploration became a much bigger priority and because of that shows electric cars in the 80s (for example).

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
That would be an interesting tease.

I mean, some people were born at the beginning of the 1900s when people were still travelling on horseback and easily lived to see the moon landing on color TV; and that was without us discovering alien technology that advanced our scientific knowledge hundreds/thousands of years like in Mass Effect.

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you, but if you want some real-life analogues, just look at China; they have one of the fastest modernizing defence forces and will probably leap ahead of the USA in a decade or two (if things continue at their current rates). I agree that Mass Effect is cutting it close, but if the Prothean discoveries were a part in creating some form of world peace and would put most of the whole world's economic power behind space exploration a lot would be possible than what we are currently familiar with. This is also one of the reasons why I like For All Mankind; it shows an alternative history were space exploration became a much bigger priority and because of that shows electric cars in the 80s (for example).

Yeah, but that's the end of a long process, starting with Imperial China getting stumped by Europe's technological progress due to the industrial revolution, losing the Opium Wars and getting forced into a dependent position on Europe's colonialist demands. All in all it's taken China 200 years to get ahead of the West again, and that seems more realistic than ME's 30 years

I guess Mass Effect is the optimistic version, where the First Contact War didn't end in Earth becoming a Turian colony, but the Council intervened, negotiated peace and allowed humans to get an equal footing.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
It's likely because it's not a 'bug' though - it's probably a performance-saving measure. Render to texture for reflections is expensive. I agree though it's very off-putting, wish a different method could have been found.
I've never seen this used before though in any game. Even if you drop a ps5 down to performance mode it still does it. Its a very weird choice

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Who thought this god awful vignette was a good idea in ME2? And why can't we deactive it outside of the photo mode?

ebb9bb47-987a-40c3-99e5-e6ae1b565e31.png

It's bad enough that this game is dark as shit in general but these make even bright scenes look pretty bland.

I know it's also in ME 1, but here it really sticks out.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Who thought this god awful vignette was a good idea in ME2? And why can't we deactive it outside of the photo mode?

It's bad enough that this game is dark as shit in general but these make even bright scenes look pretty bland.

Probably the same person that thought the original RED_VEINS.jpg was a good idea. Some real bad decisions got made in the original release.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vignetting has always been super aggressive in this series and I'd love to be able to disable it.

Brichfield

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding your point about Wrex(major spoiler for those who haven't beat the game)
there is a way to avoid killing him(or Ashley killing him), but you've got to have enough Paragon/Renegade points and/or do his sidequest on one of the barren planet. Since it seems you skipped a lot of sidequests, that could explain why you never had the option to save him.

Oh well, maybe next playthrough right? ;) I suggest reading a guide on how to make sure he stays alive. Having Wrex alive really do make a difference in the sequels, without spoiling what. You'll see why fans play this trilogy more than once if you do make a 2nd playthrough, nothing is ever really the same.

What's funny is that I actually did have enough Paragon points to where I could save him, I just kept going with neutral dialogue hoping it would let me side with him. Ultimately that Paragon dialogue choice is just convincing him to be ok with eliminating a cure. I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not let you somehow choose to save the cure for the Genophage.

I actually read that Bioware originally had an option for that in the game but it was cut.

Idk I just wish there was a way to help my man Wrex out. He really grew on me :(.
To answer some questions without spoiling:
1. Sovereign has no interest in speaking to you or explaining itself, as it states "You exist because we allow it and will end because we demand it." You're basically talking to Space Cthulu, its supposed to be an enemy beyond comprehension. And I kinda wish the Reapers stayed that way. Eventually you'll get an explanation in ME3, but for now it supposed to be a mystery. I mean, understand the sheer gravity of what you're speaking to, an ancient being billions, if not trillions, of years old. And its part of a race that exterminates all space faring life in the galaxy every 50,000 years which it has done for who knows how many billions of years. To say that you are an ant would be inadequate a comparison of how small you are to Sovereign.

2. Genophage stuff will come up again, hold on to your butt. And you will make choices about it.

3. I mean, the game pretty much tells you that Virmire is the final stretch. But, I can see how a warning could have been included.

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the other games.

1. True, that's a great point. I guess we as the player are definitely not meant to understand their full intentions (or even anything about them really). I just can't help but feel like it's a slightttt cop out though. Like yeah sure the Reapers are scary and hellbent on destroying the entire galaxy, but we only talk to Sovereign once. After this encounter the Reapers have arrived and it's the end of the game. The Reapers are just a bit too abstract for me by the end of the game to have felt their full impact in the plot.

Idk maybe it's just me preferring more concrete details in a storyline. I can totally understand why some fans would prefer things be kept mysterious though.

2. Sweeettt. Looking forward to it!

3. True true, that's probably on me. I was expecting it to let you continue playing after the story but I should've looked it up.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Loving ME1 with my first ever playthrough so far. Are there any recommended related media to go through? Comics, novels, etc? Story is intriguing but I want more.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Finished ME1 over the weekend, started ME2 last night. They hold up surprisingly well

I finished the first two games back in the day but only played a couple hours of 3. Looking forward to finally giving that game a fair shake

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What's funny is that I actually did have enough Paragon points to where I could save him, I just kept going with neutral dialogue hoping it would let me side with him. Ultimately that Paragon dialogue choice is just convincing him to be ok with eliminating a cure. I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not let you somehow choose to save the cure for the Genophage.

I actually read that Bioware originally had an option for that in the game but it was cut.

Idk I just wish there was a way to help my man Wrex out. He really grew on me :(.

1. True, that's a great point. I guess we as the player are definitely not meant to understand their full intentions (or even anything about them really). I just can't help but feel like it's a slightttt cop out though. Like yeah sure the Reapers are scary and hellbent on destroying the entire galaxy, but we only talk to Sovereign once. After this encounter the Reapers have arrived and it's the end of the game. The Reapers are just a bit too abstract for me by the end of the game to have felt their full impact in the plot.

Idk maybe it's just me preferring more concrete details in a storyline. I can totally understand why some fans would prefer things be kept mysterious though.

2. Sweeettt. Looking forward to it!

3. True true, that's probably on me. I was expecting it to let you continue playing after the story but I should've looked it up.

I'm really biting my tongue not to tell you more about what happens next, but it's best for you to experience first yourself. See you later in the spoiler thread. ;) But I really do suggest you try another trilogy playthrough with
Wrex alive later
once you're done with this one. If you don't mind replaying the games more than once that is.

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Loving ME1 with my first ever playthrough so far. Are there any recommended related media to go through? Comics, novels, etc? Story is intriguing but I want more.
This series is pretty good.

Amazon.com: Mass Effect: Revelation eBook : Karpyshyn, Drew: Kindle Store

Mass Effect: Revelation - Kindle edition by Karpyshyn, Drew. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Mass Effect: Revelation.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I'm 15 hours in and I just found out there's classes. The only Mass Effect I played was 3 and I definitely remembered it having classes. Did I button mash something and just skip over the class selection? That's freaking lame. No wonder I'm stuck with boring ass soldier skills.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 15 hours in and I just found out there's classes. The only Mass Effect I played was 3 and I definitely remembered it having classes. Did I button mash something and just skip over the class selection? That's freaking lame.
Did you do a custom character at the start? If not I believe it just defaults to the soldier class.