• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Is there going to be a spoiler thread for the remaster? I'd love to read what newcomers think about the franchise.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So as a heads up to those planning to buy it on Origin/EA Desktop app: they absolutely suck in regards to downloads/install and patches and other issues. Just go with Steam, I've been using Origin and EA Desktop App (because of Game Pass) and I've had constant, and really constant, issues such as games not launching but showing as launched, paused downloads unable to resume until you clear the cache, on Origin patches takes forever (maybe not as much as the "copying" on PS4) due to "checking files" of your already downloaded game (Checking 120gb of files will take a long time, believe me)
Just an update: I paused my pre-load of MELE on EA Desktop to restart my PC and it continued normally. Maybe it was a fixed bug?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Just an update: I paused my pre-load of MELE on EA Desktop to restart my PC and it continued normally. Maybe it was a fixed bug?

I had the bug just yesterday lol I guess there is an issue with my app.

On Origin my Apex-friends always had issues though, so maybe it's not as widespread.

Ladomania

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
Pretty excited for this. Back whwn I was a kid I played 3 first and then 2. Happy to finally be able to do them in order. I was wondering. Once you pick a class in 1 are you stuck with it for the entire trilogy?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A large part of me wants to record play sessions of ME LE when I get it. The sad thing is, having played and still playing NoMansSky for over 140 hours and nowhere near finishing the game as well as having spent over 200 hours in Fallout 3 to get the platinum, I realize I love to lollygag and no one has time for that shit. Undoubtedly I will spend hours upon hours in Citadel, getting lost to the music, taking screen caps and absorbing the ambience.

Games like Mass Effect remind me why I have such a huge backlog.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
So what's the preload size on steam? Can you choose to download the games separately?

Imagining all the people concerned about this frantically booting up ME3 before doing anything else and skipping all the cutscenes to find the answer.

Let's take a look
Lg6TnRb.gif

skip skip skip slip

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You can holster weapons in ME3 OG on PC.

www.nexusmods.com

Holster your weapons

This mod allows the user and teammates to holster their weapons in Mass Effect 3! Once you install this mod (Instructions included in download), you can holster/draw Shepard current weapon by pressing

Pretty sure this will happen again for the collection.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can holster weapons in ME3 OG on PC.

www.nexusmods.com

Holster your weapons

This mod allows the user and teammates to holster their weapons in Mass Effect 3! Once you install this mod (Instructions included in download), you can holster/draw Shepard current weapon by pressing

Pretty sure this will happen again for the collection.
Reading the restrictions the mod has, I can understand why they didn't change it in the remaster. If they made some deeper changes, it'd be possible. Unfortunately, it seems out of scope for this.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I disagree. It makes sense to have some sort of obvious cue that will make you aware that you just lost your shield. Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in combat and fail to pay close attention to your HUD.

Yes, just like ME2 had. You don't need the slowdown for that, subtles sound and visual cues work just as well. The purpose of this mechanic in ME3 has nothing to do with that in fact, it's there to give the player a chance to react after Shepard lost their shields. It works badly though. ME2 and most games with a similar mechanic handles it but giving the player some invulnerability frames, so you can react without dying and without sacrificing the flow of the game.

Play ME3 on insanity and you will die much more frequently without having time to react after you lost your shields.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, but this probably could be changed by editing a text file.
It's definitely more than just a text file.

This kind of change between ME2 and 3 probably wasn't random, either. They have a lot of data they gather from player behavior, and probably concluded that a lot of players didn't notice when their shields broke with the cues they had before. ME3 also introduced a segmented health bar, so losing shields has a bigger impact (as you won't always have full health) than before.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's definitely more than just a text file.

This kind of change between ME2 and 3 probably wasn't random, either. They have a lot of data they gather from player behavior, and probably concluded that a lot of players didn't notice when their shields broke with the cues they had before. ME3 also introduced a segmented health bar, so losing shields has a bigger impact (as you won't always have full health) than before.

Again, that's not the purpose of the slowdown. It's much easier to notice and react to your shields breaking in ME2 than it is in ME3. Indeed. in the MP the slowdown is not there. If it was actually needed, you can be sure a lot of people would complain.

At least give the player the option to turn it off.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the restrictions the mod has, I can understand why they didn't change it in the remaster. If they made some deeper changes, it'd be possible. Unfortunately, it seems out of scope for this.
I don't believe the restrictions of the mod have anything to do with the difficulty the devs would have had to implement it. The original game didn't include it due to memory issues. They had run out of space and just didn't have room to add extra QoL features, something the remaster was not limited in the same way by.

It sounds janky in the description, but it worked just fine. All you needed to do was only use it outside of combat. If someone makes it for the LE, i'll be installing it asap.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, that's not the purpose of the slowdown. It's much easier to notice and react to your shields breaking in ME2 than it is in ME3. Indeed. in the MP the slowdown is not there. If it was actually needed, you can be sure a lot of people would complain.

At least give the player the option to turn it off.
I'm not saying it was needed, only that I can see why they chose to include it. I also don't agree it's easier to notice in 2. For instance, if you're playing with no sound and you're not looking at the HUD, the animation of Shepard shaking their head and the slowdown show that something is wrong. It doesn't happen in multiplayer because that needs to be more fast-paced than singleplayer.

Again, to be clear, not defending it; just saying I understand why it is there.
I don't believe the restrictions of the mod have anything to do with the difficulty the devs would have had to implement it. The original game didn't include it due to memory issues. They had run out of space and just didn't have room to add extra QoL features, something the remaster was not limited in the same way by.

It sounds janky in the description, but it worked just fine. All you needed to do was only use it outside of combat. If someone makes it for the LE, i'll be installing it asap.
No, you misunderstood me. I'm aware the reason it's not there is because of memory limitations in the original version. However, some people thought it was just editing that file without consequences. If the dev team implemented exactly as described in the mod, the player would constantly see the game quicksaving and quickloading without understanding why. BioWare would need to work on another more seamless solution, and it doesn't seem that was possible with the scope they had (to the point of not even working on animations).

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
loved 1 and 2, skipped 3 after the bad responses so I am excited to play it for the first time somehow still spoiler free.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, you misunderstood me. I'm aware the reason it's not there is because of memory limitations in the original version. However, some people thought it was just editing that file without consequences. If the dev team implemented exactly as described in the mod, the player would constantly see the game quicksaving and quickloading without understanding why. BioWare would need to work on another more seamless solution, and it doesn't seem that was possible with the scope they had (to the point of not even working on animations).
You misunderstand too, I wasn't suggesting the dev team implement it like the mod was. The only reason it is like that is because it has been hacked in by someone who doesn't know how to properly code.

Given the work they put into the project, I don't see how this would be outside the scope in terms of complexity. It was probably that if it was even listed it was imply deemed not important enough and at the bottom of a list.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Complaining over a lack of holstering? Oh dear…

It's something thousands of people complained about since the release of the original game. And they are right. It's an RPG, a Space Opera, something they want you to get sucked in and invested in and you could do it in the previous games. It's a legit criticism and not something to roll eyes about.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You misunderstand too, I wasn't suggesting the dev team implement it like the mod was. The only reason it is like that is because it has been hacked in by someone who doesn't know how to properly code.

Given the work they put into the project, I don't see how this would be outside the scope in terms of complexity. It was probably that if it was even listed it was imply deemed not important enough and at the bottom of a list.
Oh yeah, I get that you specifically weren't suggesting they did like the mod. That was just to show it's not an ideal solution. I did see some people saying it was just a line edit inside Coalesced.bin, though.