• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Absolutely excited to play ME2 again. Not sure if I'm buying the game or wait for EA Access but I'm super happy that this collection is coming out. Mass Effect really deserves that.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
another image:

EtUK313XMAI2R_H

supposedly to display some of the new black hair styles they've thankfully introduced for the remaster

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Really curious as to how the ME1 remaster will compare to the modded OG game. Last I checked you can mod:
  • Better MAKO handling
  • XP Rescale to reach lvl 60 in a playthrough
  • Better textures and videos through ALOT and ALOV
  • Controller Support
  • Faster Elevator and Airlocks
For most the Legendary Edition is a no-brainer but for those like me who own the original trilogy and the DLC bundles on PC, I'm skeptical on paying $60 for games I already own. But for those on consoles or those who've never played Mass Effect, this is definitely a deal and a half.

There are a list of gameplay changes to ME1, changes to the meshes themselves, new textures for eye reflections, and then there are some engine upgrades that you simply can't get via mods:

For those who want to know the technical upgrades beyond just texture resolution, this was in the gamespot video:

oKQMqMe.jpg

just so some people don't say this is just a "upscale" remaster.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I was looking at the Mass Effect Legendary Cache on the Bioware Gear site and saw that its apparently Wave 2? Does Wave 1 look different? I can't seem to find anything on it.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
ME modding is much more limited than say a TES game. The remaster looks like a good buy even for current owners

Nov 1, 2017
I've always done paragon male Shep and renegade Femshep. Jennifer Hale is certainly a great actor, and delivers a consistent performance throughout the trilogy, but to me Mark Meer is Shepard.

Perhaps it's because I have heard Jennifer Hale in so many other roles, but I just have a strong with Mark Meer's voice and the character of Shepard. I think he's great throughout, but his performance definitely improves in each game.

On my very first play through I tried running with Meer and found his performance so flat I couldn't continue. If Hale hadn't been better, I probably would have given up on Mass Effect before meeting Garrus.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
ME modding is much more limited than say a TES game. The remaster looks like a good buy even for current owners
ME3 modding is different, what creators have been able to do is nothing short of awesome.
There's only so much you can do with textures, which is why texture mods (for ME1 especially) never look that great. This new version goes way beyond that.
There are a list of gameplay changes to ME1, changes to the meshes themselves, new textures for eye reflections, and then there are some engine upgrades that you simply can't get via mods:
Yeah I saw this photo earlier and dont doubt the improvements wholesale, its gonna be more of a wait-and-see for me. I imagine that most of the attention is going to ME1, curious to see what QOL tweaks the other two games gets.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
The eyelashes are actually my #1 favorite change so far. I really hated the doll eyelashes everyone had in the original trilogy.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's more limited and harder to do this is worth it just for the loss of pain from installing mods. Still looks like it's an improvement beyond what we can achieve with mods anyway. I am hoping they make modding easier with this, it provides a new base to work off of.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
This IS the deluxe edition. Every DLC, except the shitty Pinnacle Station from ME1, is included.
All the DLC including the collectors edition weapons and pre order bonuses are in.
I guess Deluxe was perhaps the wrong word. I don't mean a digital deluxe version that has more DLC, I meant a deluxe physical version more akin to the original collector's editions, with an official steelcase, artbook, and whatnot.

It's kinda weird that they aren't pushing one, given that all previous Mass Effect games have had some kind of Collector's Edition.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
while I appreciate that everything is clean and crisp and higher resolution now, it's definitely missing the atmosphere of the original, like some others have already pointed out. have to see it in motion I suppose, but I miss the redness of eden prime already.
This is very unfortunate. Hopefully the rest of the games stay true to the originals.
Yea I'm kinda concerned the colors/lighting in this game are going to make scenes look very different in the new version and not in a good way. That new Ashley screenshot while technically better froma graphical standpoint gives off a different vibe than the original because of the colors and lighting. The artstyle feels like it's being warped. I really need to see a playthrough of the new Eden Prime.

From what I've read on Twitter apparently this is how Eden Prime should look like according to the codec and etc. Someone else was saying assets from ME3 were brought over to make sure things looked similar and that it was more accurate to the canon and overall trilogy.

I'm too lazy to double-check and check the accuracy of everything but if so that makes sense.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Deluxe was perhaps the wrong word. I don't mean a digital deluxe version that has more DLC, I meant a deluxe physical version more akin to the original collector's editions, with an official steelcase, artbook, and whatnot.

It's kinda weird that they aren't pushing one, given that all previous Mass Effect games have had some kind of Collector's Edition.
gear.bioware.com

Mass Effect Legendary Cache - Wave 2

MASS EFFECT LEGENDARY CACHE - BIOWARE GEAR STORE EXCLUSIVE VERSION “Relive the Legend with the Mass Effect Legendary Cache - BioWare Gear Store Exclusive Version. This collector’s bundle of premium gear is a celebration of the original Mass Effect Trilogy. It includes an exclusive art print that...

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I can't believe they're selling a "collector's edition" that doesn't include the game. That just makes it a box of goodies, not an anything "edition". I hate this scummy trend. They even had the gall to include an empty steelbook.

I probably would've bought it if it had included the game, the helmet looks cool and it would have been awesome to have a 1:1 item from the ME universe.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I can't believe they're selling a "collector's edition" that doesn't include the game. That just makes it a box of goodies, not an anything "edition". I hate this scummy trend. They even had the gall to include an empty steelbook.

I probably would've bought it if it had included the game, the helmet looks cool and it would have been awesome to have a 1:1 item from the ME universe.
You know, I don't really get this.

Rather than make multiple skews for different collector's editions, you just get the version of the game you want and then the goodies. According to the team, they priced the cost of the game OUT of the box, so the price would've just been $200+... the same as buying the game and box separately. It's literally just an extra purchase for the contents of a collector's edition, and it means those who go digital (of which there are SEVERAL) aren't forced to buy a 2nd copy of the game.

So it's a platform agnostic box of goodies that is priced to exclude the game and can be purchased separately even if you don't buy the Legendary Edition but want the stuff.

It's a win-win for everyone and I honestly don't see any downsides. I don't get how it's scummy, and they're very forthcoming the game isn't included.

If you just want the steelbook, just wait and buy it off someone. I've done that multiple times.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always skeptical when another team goes back to retouch older games, but I'm hopeful they do a good job with the first Mass Effect.
It's not like it removes the original from existence anyway, regardless of what they do in the legendary edition. I assume they aren't going to be handing out upgrades to existing owners.

I hope the default Mass Effect 1 femshep model is still available as a preset, rather than being replaced entirely.
What they really needed to do was add better hair options. ME3's model was still created in the editor rather than a face scan.

Have they said whether they'll be addressing the run/sprint animations in ME3?
Cgov.gif
orig

At the very least, I expect the EAX audio effects to be completely missing from the original Mass Effect.

It's weird that the lighting is so overcast in the remaster. There's zero values above ~80% brightness in that image.
A quick touch-up:

me-brighter-eqjgi.jpg

Hopefully they change the controls for the ME1 MAKO.
Sometimes I wonder if everyone that hates the Mako controls never played Halo before.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
gear.bioware.com

Mass Effect Legendary Cache - Wave 2

MASS EFFECT LEGENDARY CACHE - BIOWARE GEAR STORE EXCLUSIVE VERSION “Relive the Legend with the Mass Effect Legendary Cache - BioWare Gear Store Exclusive Version. This collector’s bundle of premium gear is a celebration of the original Mass Effect Trilogy. It includes an exclusive art print that...
Oh interesting. They took all the Collector's Edition crap and basically put it as an add-on if you want it.

I guess all the retail boxes are going to be the same, then?

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, May is getting pretty stacked with new releases. While I enjoy the trilogy and would usually pick this up in a without a second thought, think I am going to have to go with Deathloop and pick this up at a later date.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
So far there hasn't been evidence of any animations being changed. Look at the Virmire footage higher up on this page, the animation is the same.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When I saw the trailer this was literally my first thought. It still blows my mind that they thought that looked good enough to ship.
They crunched like crazy just to get it out on time.

I don't expect them to address it, but like all things pertaining to this remaster... I mean, I won't be upset if they do.
So far there hasn't been evidence of any animations being changed. Look at the Virmire footage higher up on this page, the animation is the same.
Yeah. I'm not expecting it, but it would be nice.

Especially for FemShep. Remember the time she went full Basic Instinct on us?
maxresdefault.jpg

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Why May? im already trying to justify myself getting both Death Loop and RE8 on launch, now I gotta debate this too? 😩

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Ughh let's hope not. I could not stand "exploration" in Andromeda. Those maps were the most bog standard cookie cutter open world regions that just felt like theme parks made for a game rather than real alien worlds. I'll take massive barren ME1 type planets over any of the Andromeda ones every time. Just copious amounts of busy work and menial quests and interactions. ME1 locations at least had this air of mystery and possibility to them at times. There's way more potential there than with the Andromeda approach. ME1 faltered more so due to the recycled use of the actual bases you could find and overall template of ~3 same POI per planet.

ME2/3 did a fairly good job of having fairly detailed one off locations for side missions with various ships, stations, crash sites and such. If those could be effectively combined with ME1 style planets it could work really well. This idea that every planet needs to be jam packed with content is folly. You need that vastness and emptiness and unknown potential. Sometimes you'll just find some ruins and remnants of a civilization or failed colonists. Other times you'll find some rogue extremist group with some elaborate covert base. You need that balance of nothing and something to make the actual discoveries feel like something meaningful.
It's pretty similar in function to ME1; you have large playspaces and a vehicle to explore, and can get in/out of the vehicle at any time. The problem is that each of the zones you explore are just...dull. Super pretty, but kinda aimless in their direction and tone. Lots of things to explore and see, most of it boring and uninspired. Most of the worlds feel very artificial in their construct and layout, like you're just driving from point to point to check shit off a list rather than immerse yourself in the location. There's a weird sense that they're all overly lived in and active, instead of big empty space. You're never stepping foot on an uncharted world, so much as landing on hubs full of "stuff to do".

They're all just really forgettable and boring.
Weren't ME1's uncharted worlds mostly just barely finished heightmaps?

Like I get people liking the idea of what ME1 wanted to do but the actual implementation was uh, lacking and I'm kinda baffled reading all these statements about how good they are or how they felt reminiscent of random dungeons because i've played games that did a way better job at making it not feel like I was just in the same type of area again than ME1, even if that's an incredibly low bar of "have more than one kind of dungeon environment so it doesn't feel immediately obvious".
The problem with all this is the amount of empty space to put in open-world environments seems to be a really subjective and divisive issue. This whole argument reminds me of the sailing in Wind Waker or the horseback riding in Shadow of the Colossus. Some people found that stuff boring but at the same time it succeeded in eliciting a sense of scale and isolation.

Mass Effect 1 in general is very confounding because its development was extremely chaotic, and all its individual pieces are extremely flawed, but somehow it all still came together to create an attractive storyline and setting.

Oct 29, 2017

It's just so they don't have to sell different Xbox and PlayStation versions. If it included the game it would cost $210.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
They crunched like crazy just to get it out on time.

I don't expect them to address it, but like all things pertaining to this remaster... I mean, I won't be upset if they do.

Yeah. I'm not expecting it, but it would be nice.

Especially for FemShep. Remember the time she went full Basic Instinct on us?
maxresdefault.jpg
Ugh, that dress. I think my most desired change for ME3 would probably giving EFemshep her own version of the leather jacket instead. Although, I suppose if all the DLC is included then she has the N7 hoodie at least.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The problem with all this is the amount of empty space to put in open-world environments seems to be a really subjective and divisive issue. This whole argument reminds me of the sailing in Wind Waker or the horseback riding in Shadow of the Colossus. Some people found that stuff boring but at the same time it succeeded in eliciting a sense of scale and isolation.

Mass Effect 1 in general is very confounding because its development was extremely chaotic, and all its individual pieces are extremely flawed, but somehow it all still came together to create an attractive storyline and setting.
I think it speaks to a divide with the Mass Effect fandom and I suspect Bioware itself.

Some people desperately want Mass Effect to return to the deep space exploration promise of that first game. While the rest want it to run as far away from that as possible.

For what it's worth, the uncharted worlds of ME1 did nothing for me, yet I really enjoyed the traversal of Andromeda. Tastes are weird.

Telcius

Sep 21, 2020
You know, I don't really get this.

Rather than make multiple skews for different collector's editions, you just get the version of the game you want and then the goodies. According to the team, they priced the cost of the game OUT of the box, so the price would've just been $200+... the same as buying the game and box separately. It's literally just an extra purchase for the contents of a collector's edition, and it means those who go digital (of which there are SEVERAL) aren't forced to buy a 2nd copy of the game.

So it's a platform agnostic box of goodies that is priced to exclude the game and can be purchased separately even if you don't buy the Legendary Edition but want the stuff.

It's a win-win for everyone and I honestly don't see any downsides. I don't get how it's scummy, and they're very forthcoming the game isn't included.

If you just want the steelbook, just wait and buy it off someone. I've done that multiple times.

An EA or BioWare rep provided a response on the Mass Effect subreddit about why the game wasn't included in the Legendary cache, and it was pretty much for the same reasons you listed.

If they included the game in the cache I don't see how they could come in at $150. The Star Wars black label helmets by themselves are like $120 and this N7 helmet looks to be of much higher quality and complexity based on the videos on YouTube. Then you have all the extras that come with it. I can appreciate the game not coming with it. I typically buy digital only so I don't want to buy a physical game as part of a collectors edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.